• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
My problem with chairs like this, they are designed for leaning back in, even if it's just a little bit. They are great for that, but if you are sitting perfectly upright, your back isn't supported at all. I had to buy a $700 chair (Herman Sayl "gaming edition" with all the adjustable bits) to get one that would tilt *forwards* by just a couple degrees which means I can have it tilted to support my back when I'm sitting upright.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
$125? Man, looks like I'm probably getting a second to replace the ratty old Walmart chair at my gaming PC as well.
The Hyken and Dexley are both $125 right now with the coupon code 39338 ($25 off $150 purchase).

Really tempted to get one of these, because my expensive DXRacer is a piece of uncomfortable garbage. Can't decide which, though. Anyone know if the Dexley is too big for ~5'7"? I need the extra room, but I don't want something too tall.
I picked up the Dexley when I saw this thread the first go-around.

If you can, go into a Staples and try out both for yourself. I'm 5'8" and around 170 lbs and I didn't really like the Hyken when I tried it in the store.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I'm gonna bookmark this for sure. My current chair is at the point of giving zero support so I need to upgrade when tax/bonus season comes along.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
$125? Man, looks like I'm probably getting a second to replace the ratty old Walmart chair at my gaming PC as well.

I picked up the Dexley when I saw this thread the first go-around.

If you can, go into a Staples and try out both for yourself. I'm 5'8" and around 170 lbs and I didn't really like the Hyken when I tried it in the store.

Went to check them out myself. I found the Dexley much more comfortable, and the build quality seemed slightly higher. Definitely going with that one if I end up buying a new chair.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Put together my Dexley, arrived right on time the next day like the site said. There are videos on youtube if you want to see it being put together but it's easy, can do it in 15 to 20 mins. First impression is I really like it. Probably the best value chair I've used. Now to see how long the mesh will hold up. if it can last more than 3 years I'll be happy with the purchase. I actually used the previous chair for over 10 years, but it wasn't mesh so I'm not sure how those compare. But for the moment, I think it should easily reach 3 years minimum of 5 to 12hrs use a day.

Also my previous home office chair didn't have a headrest so now I feel spoiled, lol. I doubt i'll use the recline though it works well too.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I have an AKRacing chair I've been wanting to swap out so as a 5'6" guy it looks like the Hyken is my next choice.

EDIT: Did the code expire?

Last edited:

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Are these big chairs? I like to sit pretzel style and I've been trying to find a mesh chair with a cushion large enough to support my entire legs. My partner's racing chair cushion is like the perfect size, but it's a cold pleather like material which I don't like.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Dexly came in the mail this afternoon. Was extremely easy to put together. Probably took ~20 minutes, a little longer to make sure to tighten all the bolts.

20210222_131039.jpg

Are these big chairs? I like to sit pretzel style and I've been trying to find a mesh chair with a cushion large enough to support my entire legs. My partner's racing chair cushion is like the perfect size, but it's a cold pleather like material which I don't like.
The seat is about 20 and half inches in width if that helps. You can also screw the arms in wider to get more space.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
so how durable is the mesh on the dexley? i was strongly considering it but i think my pets would tear it apart.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Dexley this afternoon. I'm using a Purple Ultimate cushion, and paired with this chair, it's quite comfortable. Definitely better than my $475 DX Racer.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I agree with getting an ergonomic office chair but the Hyken and the other model that's just like it but bigger are not good for bigger people with big frames.

I'm 6'1 235lbs. I have an Aeron but that's too expensive for most. The best one I tried om the budget side is Workpro 9000 which is Office Depot's chair.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Whelp, the hydraulics on my desk chair just broke on me, so it looks like my plans to get a new one have been expedited. This has been a very expensive week for me as my iPhone died on Sunday 😭

I'm thinking that I'm probably going to go with one of these Staples chairs, but I'm not sure what the differences between the Hyken and the Dexley are.

The seat is about 20 and half inches in width if that helps. You can also screw the arms in wider to get more space.
Your chair looks nice, I like the blue color. And I appreciate the response! 😀

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
I agree with getting an ergonomic office chair but the Hyken and the other model that's just like it but bigger are not good for bigger people with big frames.

I'm 6'1 235lbs. I have an Aeron but that's too expensive for most. The best one I tried om the budget side is Workpro 9000 which is Office Depot's chair.
I'm exactly the same height and weight. I find the Dexley very comfortable and have no issues with it thus far.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I'm 5'7 145lbs and am wondering if the head rest will be high enough for me.

Headrest? I'm 5-11" and I assumed it was for my neck lol. That's where it rests for me, so at 5-7" it will fit you fine.

I got this chair a few weeks ago and one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. My back was in bad shape due to poor posture and after a few weeks my back is so much better.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Are there any chairs like this for the UK and are reasonably priced, less than £300? I'm 5'6" if that is important to know.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
If anyone is interested in this chair I have a $15 off $60 purchase at Staples that I won't be using. It expires on March 6th. Lemme know!

Aug 30, 2020
Am I insane for considering buying an Aeron for full price?

I've searched locally for years and there's never a single Aeron in a >1 hour drive radius. Then it's like $500+ and I don't want to gamble on getting a 500 used warranty-less less adjustable potential frankenstein...

A lot of people talk about alternatives, but from my acquaintances it sounds like the alternatives have harsh limitations.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017

I've searched locally for years and there's never a single Aeron in a >1 hour drive radius. Then it's like $500+ and I don't want to gamble on getting a 500 used warranty-less less adjustable potential frankenstein...

A lot of people talk about alternatives, but from my acquaintances it sounds like the alternatives have harsh limitations.
I was going to pay full price for an Embody because there weren't any liquidators in my area that had them in stock. Ended up getting a secretlabs due to all my friends recommending it and it's actually been working out well.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017

It's not insane. Know that it has a full 12 year warranty, it's the newest design, and will keep its resale value pretty well.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017

I paid full price and I think it's worth it because of the warranty. Peace of mind when spending that much. And even though they last a long time, I wanted to wear it out myself. All the used ones I found where over 15+ years old. I'm sure they were still good but I'm willing to pay full price for something that will last me that long.

Also, some people don't go through this but I certainly did. I had to go through 2 months or so of being kind of uncomfortable on the chair since I've never sat on a chair like this. I also needed to get a foot rest to have optimal ergonomics. I got the Ikea one. I also got an Atlas headrest which is great. Once I got used to it, it's incredible. No fatigue at all after 8+ hours. I work from home and I've sat on it from 8:30am to 11pm. After work PoE.

Last edited:

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I picked this up and it was just not comfortable to me. I have the similar Ikea chair after dumping a more basic costco office chair, and it has actually increased my back, hip/hamstring pain over the last 3-4 months. I have been extremely unhappy with it. So I bought this on a whim last week and sat in it and it felt almost the same as the Ikea. Maybe a little more supportive for the lower back - but I decided it wasn't enough of what I was looking for (more cushion/padding) so gave it to one of my kids for their setup.

Unless someone here tells me not to, I am going to buy the Secretlabs Titan. I have been eyeballing that for months and keep telling myself its too expensive but it gets consistently good reviews so I think its time. My back and rear end need the relief.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked this up and it was just not comfortable to me. I have the similar Ikea chair after dumping a more basic costco office chair, and it has actually increased my back, hip/hamstring pain over the last 3-4 months. I have been extremely unhappy with it. So I bought this on a whim last week and sat in it and it felt almost the same as the Ikea. Maybe a little more supportive for the lower back - but I decided it wasn't enough of what I was looking for (more cushion/padding) so gave it to one of my kids for their setup.

Unless someone here tells me not to, I am going to buy the Secretlabs Titan. I have been eyeballing that for months and keep telling myself its too expensive but it gets consistently good reviews so I think its time. My back and rear end need the relief.
Same except I have very specific lumbar support I need. The lumbar slider doesn't go low enough for me.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I was actually about to come back in this thread and ask for input on Secretlabs Mesh Weave vs Leather. I decided to order one tomorrow. The Staples is a little small for my liking, and the Ikea chair is continuing to give me lasting back issues. I am ok with spending the extra on the Secretlabs and am pretty impressed by the reviews.

I would like to order tomorrow so appreciate any input on the fabric/material.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I might've gotten a used shipment...

The packaging was a mess. All the items seemed haphazardly tossed in and some weren't packaged properly. Plus there seems like there's some wear and tear on the unit. Is this normal?

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have a similar chair at work. The mesh back tears up cotton shirts and jackets over time. Causes pilling and frays so I had to put a cover over it.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
I was eyeing the chair because of this thread but I'm worried that my cat's gonna make short work of mesh, especially since he's used to jumping up on the chair I have now...

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Bought the Hyken chair. It's a major step up from my old-ass, generic office chair. The back support at first seemed slightly hard on my back but now it's all good. Def will report back if I have any further problems.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have a chair recommendation for a 6'5 330 pound body frame?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a chair recommendation for a 6'5 330 pound body frame?

I've heard good things about the Secret Labs Titan/XL series of chairs with a few heavier, world of warcraft playing gamer friends who have used them for years and love em, beyond that something like a steelcase leap or other $800+ chair
secretlab.co

Secretlab TITAN 2020 Series Gaming Chair | Secretlab US

Sit incredibly easily with the Secretlab TITAN—the large, spacious gaming chair with an integrated lumbar support. Upgrade your sitting experience now.

on topic, my ass has been sitting on a Dexley Staples chair (also around the same price), which is a bit more supportive of taller/bigger people (i'm 6'2 and 230). Its fine, I have a purple cushion for some extra pushin. My other chair is a Costco Lazyboy and I sorta prefer that one in comfort, but its that shitty bonded leather/vinyl crap that starts peeling within a year so its on its last legs. We'll see how long the Dexley lasts, I'm generally happy but I don't think its a comfort marvel or anything, it works great but its not the best chair I've ever had or anything. I'm guessing a Secret Lab chair would be a lot more comfortable, and will probably switch to that when the Dexley starts getting creaky.

eleffdee

Aug 29, 2018
Can someone tell me the height from the top of the armrest (at its lowest position) to the floor when the seat is at its lowest position? Thanks in advance.