• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice but the weight capacity seems kinda low for the people in my family who'd use it.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Sitting in this right now, it's a good chair for the price! If you're like me and often sit with one leg under the other up in your chair (is this weird? I don't know) then it's pretty damn bad for that. I have calluses on my feet from the chair material pressing on them lol.

That there is almost certainly bad for your knee or hip or both. You might want to stop. Sitting properly is boring as hell, but there's a reason for it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, it looks more aesthetically pleasing then the one in the OP but I understand what Bansai is saying. I currently use a leather wooden chair with arm rests like that and my arms go numb if I keep them their for awhile. Damn
You can buy arm rest cushions, too. Things you literally strap on to the arm rest.

So if you find a chair that suits you thst has this single issue, you can get around it. And it will still work out cheaper than buying a more expensive chair more often than not.

(Also, as above, a pillow will also do just fine. I have had this issue before in other chairs and this worked for me at least).

Oct 27, 2017
I had a Ikea Markus, I got rid of it because it was uncomfortable for long gaming sessions. Not enough cushion in the seat and tiny arms rests. I'm currently looking into secret lab or a herman miller chair as a replacement.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
What if I live I Canada, and for some reason this is my $300 chair apparently
www.staples.ca

FlexFit Hyken Mesh Task Chair with Adjustable Arms - Black

Find a FlexFit Hyken Mesh Task Chair with Adjustable Arms - Black at Staples.ca. Read reviews to learn about the top-rated FlexFit Hyken Mesh Task Chair with Adjustable Arms - Black.
Lol we gotta pay the Northern Tax™ of course!

For real though, it does go on sale for I think $169 is the lowest I've seen, but if you want a good chair for same amount as reg price Hyken at Staples, try out the Ergochair 2 from Autonomous.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Every chair you find will have people here and there saying it isn't for them.

And as issues don't show sometimes until you've used it a while, this will always be a bit of a crapshiot.

The Markus is not comfy to lounge in, that's for sure, but I bought it to make sure I sit well more often and it is very comfy for that, for hours, in my experience.

Sitting properly is also something you need to train your body to do if you don't do it already, and while you do it will be very uncomfortable. That will be true for most chairs that you need to sit properly in, just keep that in mind too.

Starburns

Oct 30, 2017
Denver
Interesting thanks for the info and yeah you're right it's Ikea Markus haha
I was planning to get Aeron Miller secondhand for good price but I hear you can't really sit on it cross legged which is what I do a lot at home
So I guess it's either the Hyken or the Markus need to do more research, probably going to just choose the cheaper out of the two
I've had several Markus' (my home/gaming one and my old job was for the family business, and spending $200 on a chair was more responsible than a HM Aeron) and always thought they were great. The Hyken hit my radar a few months ago from a buddy who swore by it, and it isn't just regency bias - it's a much better chair than the Ikea. My old one is literally five feet away, and going from one to the other, it's a no-brainer over which one is better.

Griffe316

Oct 25, 2017
No one should buy this chair, not because it's not a good chair but because I don't want to deliver anymore of them lol

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna say these fix your back problems, but they do the job for 10 bucks and won't ruin you.

Still, remember to drink plenty of water and stretch every 45 minutes

327868xlg.jpg

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
My PC chair at home has basically shed every last piece of faux-leather on it, but it refuses to actually break in a way that would justify me buying a new one. I've had it so long that I can't remember when I got it.

Yeah, like the guy sitting in a $1300 chair is going to take chair recommendations from the guy who doesn't make that in four months. COME ON!

Underrated post.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Every so often the hype for this exact chair comes raging back. I remember last time this happened I went to Staples and took it for a sit.

I think it's better for smaller people. I'm 6 feet tall and it wasn't comfortable. There's a mod you can look up on youtube that shows you how to raise the head rest but still, not sure the chair was meant for me.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
What if I live I Canada, and for some reason this is my $300 chair apparently
www.staples.ca

FlexFit Hyken Mesh Task Chair with Adjustable Arms - Black

Find a FlexFit Hyken Mesh Task Chair with Adjustable Arms - Black at Staples.ca. Read reviews to learn about the top-rated FlexFit Hyken Mesh Task Chair with Adjustable Arms - Black.
Lol we gotta pay the Northern Tax™ of course!

For real though, it does go on sale for I think $169 is the lowest I've seen, but if you want a good chair for same amount as reg price Hyken at Staples, try out the Ergochair 2 from Autonomous.

Yeah, as Chippewa Barr said, this chair often goes on sale.

In fact, never buy any chair from Staples unless it is heavily discounted. They have a huge chair sale at least once a year.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
That there is almost certainly bad for your knee or hip or both. You might want to stop. Sitting properly is boring as hell, but there's a reason for it.
The comfort difference for me is pretty significant, it's always been that way. Not sure it's a habit I'll break fully. To be clear it's not the only way I sit. In fact I can hardly keep still most of the time (thanks ADHD), so I'm constantly adjusting how I'm seated, that's just my default.

But yes I know it would be best if I just sat up straight, feet forward, etc :p

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My Secret Labs chair is serving me quite well for about a year now and this is coming from someone who's been through multiple chairs from Staples.

Was going to get the model recommended from the OP but didn't felt comfortable while trying it in store.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
How is it comfortable is there's no padding anywhere on it?

edit: I'm 6'3 290-295lbs.

so i'm 6'1'' 165 but research said taller/bigger get the dexley instead

As someone who is 6'4, yes.
but this guy seems fine with thsi one!

This is the slightly updated version for taller/bigger people. It's the one I went with.

what he said. also, when i did my research it said this chair isnt good for extended sitting like over 8 hours a day, so be warned. I'm using it for work (nothing crazy unless im editing a video), and a little bit for the tv, but mainly on the couch for that

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The Hyken is one of the most uncomfortable chairs I've ever sat on.

There is no perfect chair for everyone. It's always best to be able to try before buying, or at the very least buy somewhere with an excellent return policy.

If you spend a lot of time at a PC the chair is more important than any GPU or other component you spend your money on. People are happy to throw 700 bucks at a GPU they'll use for 2 years but they balk at paying more than 99 dollars for a chair so they can be comfortable. I just don't get it.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Secret Lab chair is like $500. Better or more worth it than something like a Steelcase Leap? I know Steelcase is like 3x.

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain how/why they are recommending secret labs? Sitting on leather/leatherette for extended periods with side bolstering, and without lumbar support does not sound like a good time.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Secret Lab chair is like $500. Better or more worth it than something like a Steelcase Leap? I know Steelcase is like 3x.
You can easily find used Steelcase Leap V2s at any used office store (they're a very popular chair, hence there's a lot out there). I got a 3 year old one in almost mint condition for $200. You can tell it's a $1000 chair simply by the build quality.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I almost bought a Secret Labs chair at one point, then backed out. Can't remember why, but I ended up getting a Quantum 9000 from Office Depot instead for a little less.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
How is it comfortable is there's no padding anywhere on it?

edit: I'm 6'3 290-295lbs.
The fabric itself stretches. I've had an HM Aeron for close to 12 years now. Zero cushioning and the most comfortable chair I've ever sat on. Anytime I get into a comfy, padded office chair, I feel uncomfortable within minutes. Some 10 years ago I was about your weight at same height.
The position these chairs put you in doesn't require padding.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fantastic chair. Had one in my office at my previous job. Just texted my new supervisor to ask if I can get this one for my new job.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
You can easily find used Steelcase Leap V2s at any used office store (they're a very popular chair, hence there's a lot out there). I got a 3 year old one in almost mint condition for $200. You can tell it's a $1000 chair simply by the build quality.
Yeah, if you're fortunate enough to live in a city big enough, or have a way of finding those warehouses/stores that deal in bankrupt/off lease office furniture you'll find Leaps, Aerons, etc.

I wish I found something for $200; in my area they're still about $500+ cad lol.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, if you're fortunate enough to live in a city big enough, or have a way of finding those warehouses/stores that deal in bankrupt/off lease office furniture you'll find Leaps, Aerons, etc.

I wish I found something for $200; in my area they're still about $500+ cad lol.
The one I found a while ago is $450 from like a Calgary used office site, and they asked for $400 or something like that for shipping lol.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
The comfort difference for me is pretty significant, it's always been that way. Not sure it's a habit I'll break fully. To be clear it's not the only way I sit. In fact I can hardly keep still most of the time (thanks ADHD), so I'm constantly adjusting how I'm seated, that's just my default.

But yes I know it would be best if I just sat up straight, feet forward, etc :p

As someone married to a person with adhd and has a child with adhd, believe me I understand.

At the same time consider how long the rest of your life is. Now consider spending the last 40 years or more with a bad hip because you liked sitting with one leg under the other.

It's not worth it. I'd recommend finding some other way to get comfortable. Thin cushion under your butt. A little extra back support. Memory foam. Etc. Anything is worth trying if it'll save you from years of body pain.

Sincerely,
Guy With Back Pain

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
TBH, I think chairs are probably one of the hardest things to recommend because it's so personal (i.e. what do people consider firm?). I've sat in a bunch of chairs from the cheap things you can buy at Staples to the Steelcase/Herman Millers. The Steelcase/Herman Millers might've been some of the worst things I've sat in. The issue is that you are supposed to really play around with the settings to find just the right spot.

Personally, I randomly bought a Secret Lab Titan (FWIW, I'm 5'10, ~ 185 pounds which put me in between the recommendation for the Omega and Titan - and I opted for the larger Titan because of a more open seat), Fabric (because I love Fabric and hate leather which I find is too hot/sticky). I honestly love it and think it's the best chair I've sat it. It's kind of hard to describe how it feels because I don't know what people consider firm, but I think it's firm, yet soft enough that it isn't like I sink in it, but I'm not sitting in a bench. Plus, the one thing people always complains about gaming chair is the racing bucket seat which is absent from the Titan (not sure about the Omega, but don't see why it would be different) - it's a seat like most other regular chairs. I've had no issues sitting straight in it for 10+ hours (thanks to working from home) without any issues of posture or back problems. I didn't really have to play around with the settings either - it felt pretty comfortably with only a few minor adjustments.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
As someone married to a person with adhd and has a child with adhd, believe me I understand.

At the same time consider how long the rest of your life is. Now consider spending the last 40 years or more with a bad hip because you liked sitting with one leg under the other.

It's not worth it. I'd recommend finding some other way to get comfortable. Thin cushion under your butt. A little extra back support. Memory foam. Etc. Anything is worth trying if it'll save you from years of body pain.

Sincerely,
Guy With Back Pain

The big thing here is to spend some time to learn how to sit at a desk properly. It'll take awhile to get used to but it's worth it. It's easy to gravitate to a lot of gaming chairs because they promote comfort over sitting posture. If you've got poor habits/posture to begin with you aren't going to find the herman millers, steel cases and whatnot comfortable at all.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I have a gaming chair and it's dogshit. I really need something with an adjustable back since mine doesn't and it leans back too far. Kills my back.

However, I'm not feeling this one. Looks uncomfortable.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
This is my chair, and I'm only now realizing it's lasted more years than any other office chair I've ever owned. Bonus: unlike a fabric or (p)leather chair, a cat who wants your attention RIGHT MEOW can't destroy it with a few swipes.

I'm extremely short though (5'5") so the headrest and lumbar support weren't anywhere near the right places until I started kneeling in it sitting on a (memory foam) pillow.

Also getting a $1000 electronically height adjustable desk. Hoping that it makes for a very comfortable gaming experience between the two of them. I might play some games standing from time to time (it's adjustable so that you can stand or sit).
hell yeah hell yeah

A(n electric) standing desk has honestly been the best investment I have ever made w/r/t office space. I will never stop evangelizing for them and hope I never have to go without one again.

Respectfully, the fact that you wrote this gentle, well-intended and entirely correct missive thinking it might make a difference tells me you don't. :P

Sincerely,
...someone who just realized they are kneeling in a dining room chair right now—and fixed it—but will probably forget and fold one or both legs up midway through dinner 💀

James

Oct 25, 2017
US
*Unless you're somewhat tall

The lumbar and headrest on this thing was literally killing me until I modded it.
Yes. Worst chair ever if you're a much above average height male.
Not sure about the butt padding or lack thereof. Also, would the chair work for somebody that's 6'4?
No! The sides of the headrest push directly into my shoulder blades. It's impossible to be remotely comfortable.
As someone who is 6'4, yes.
You must have really long legs for 6'4" then (Nice for you on that, but sorry about the pants shopping). I'm a bit long in the torso for 6'4", and I would have to drop several inches to sit in this chair.

Last edited:

krpiper

Oct 28, 2017
I have a terrible habit of leaning on my elbows so a padded armrest is really important. Is this padded? I can't really tell by the picture

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really nice, but I think the only thing that keeps me from getting these is how far they lean back. If it doesn't back far enough, I'm gonna have a bad time.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
My Markus has seen better days... seat is not padded well and my 3yo has peeled all the pleather off one armrest.... And the armrests were too low for a me to begin with anyway...

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
There will never be a mesh back chair that is even usable by me. Every single one, from the cheapest to the most expensive, feels like absolute trash to my back. If I'm going to sit down and relax and play games or watch movies, that shit better be padded, soft, downy, enveloping me in love. If I could fit a recliner in here I would. But that's the level of chair I need. Not this gaming work desk lookin thing.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
I'm 6'3 and have some back problems. Do any tall boys in this thread recommend this chair?

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 5'7" so it sounds like this should be fine for me, but it sounds like people prefer the dexley regardless of size. Is the Dexley uncomfortable for anyone because it's too big? Or anyone my size that can vouch for the Hyken?