• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
To celebrate 20 years of Anno, we will be giving away the game where it all began for 5 days. If you remember what Windows 95 looked like or if you were born in the 21st century take the time to discover or replay this classic for free. You can claim the game from 17 December at 17:00 to 22 December at 23:00 (local time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw-pF1c6QVI

https://register.ubisoft.com/anno-1602-giveaway/en-GB

I did search but nothing came up under "Anno"

Nice christmas gift from Ubisoft/Blue Byte, dont forget Anno 1800 is out at the end of February! https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/anno-1800/

Kost2coast

Oct 27, 2017
oh wow, I used to play the hell out of this game demo back in the day...I'm totally taking advantage of this! thanks for the heads up!

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I played it for hundreds of hours and it was my favorite game for 2 years.

Cool to own and rediscover, but anyone who wants to get deep into Anno should invest their time into Anno 1404 (the last "good" one that has the right feeling for Anno games but also a modern look and gameplay.

Ultranist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Since every game in this series is just a enteretion on the previous one, they should give away a newer one.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap I had no idea a new "old" Anno game was coming out in Feb. I loved the series but wasnt a fan of the future direction it took recently.

Edit Look at this pretty ass motherfucker. :D

Screenshot_-_Production_Grain_Farm_-_IMAGE_297909.jpg

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Hugely looking forward to 1800. I skipped the last one, but I am optimistic for a return to form with 1800.

Fun fact: all Anno titles have digits that add up to 9.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Holy crap I had no idea a new "old" Anno game was coming out in Feb. I loved the series but wasnt a fan of the future direction it took recently.

Edit Look at this pretty ass motherfucker. :D

Screenshot_-_Production_Grain_Farm_-_IMAGE_297909.jpg

I had a chat with the team- while we are rather disappointed that you had not heard, we are willing to forgive you and start over. All for the low low price of a pre-order :p

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Off topic but in 1800 will they keep ideas from the last game? Some things were actually cool.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
I actually have never played the older titles at all so this is a good chance.

(I loved the futuristic ones quite a bit too.)

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Gah I played the shit out of 1602 as a kid. Haven't played it in years. Thanks for the link!

Definitely will give 1800 a look, too. Last one I played was 2070 and it was just...yikes.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Already pre-ordered the collector's edition of 1800. Does look too promising to miss out. 1404 was the last good one imho

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Good old times. I remember how I bought the game and got lost in it for a while then. It truly was fantastic.

How does it hold up, should I keep it in good memories or try it again?

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
How was the futuristic one? I've always been interested in this series, but I think the only one I ever played was the DS one.

For the 3D titles, I'd recommend 1404 as an entry-point for new players.

But you honestly can't go wrong with 2070 as a futuristic entry apart from the DRM Ubisoft cooked up at the time. It adds some solid QOL improvements plus new mechanics like: ecobalance, energy, the separate building factions, and air military units. Certainly has some of the longest production chains in the entire series once you go for fully-satisfied Eco/Tycoon Executives.

The consensus on 2205 is pretty mixed, I could write plenty about where it went most wrong and some right.

Off topic but in 1800 will they keep ideas from the last game? Some things were actually cool.

Off the top of my head, they're retaining the move building/object feature and (I think) modular system for building components/upgrades. It's based off the 2205 engine compared to the one powering 1701/1404/2070.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

Yes, we are bringing back some things from Anno 2205 in Anno 1800, most notably the session system (we will have an European-style and a South America-inspired session). But also some other things like moving buildings and modules.

Already pre-ordered the collector's edition of 1800. Does look too promising to miss out. 1404 was the last good one imho

Thanks for your faith and support, that's awesome to hear!

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah...will download 1602 for nostalgia. But Anno 1800 is where it is at. My most anticipated game of next year.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I need to read and participate more in the discord channel though

make sure to say Hi when you are around, name's Com_Raven on here as well. Always nice to see a fellow Era member around our community :)

Yeah...will download 1602 for nostalgia. But Anno 1800 is where it is at. My most anticipated game of next year.

Thank you, with so many great games coming next year that is amazing to hear <3

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Not to be a bother, Com_Raven, but since you're active in this thread: is there any chance of Anno 1701 being re-released on Steam? Steam versions were released way back when Aspyr had publishing rights (https://steamdb.info/app/7870/ and https://steamdb.info/app/7880/), and they've been gathering digital dust ever since its publishing contract expired. As the games are already on Steam and seemingly still playable, it's just a matter of Ubi's Steamworks admin asking Valve to transfer the apps and reinstating the store pages/subs. I realise you can't make any promises, but I don't suppose you'd mind kicking this up the chain somewhere?

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Link's not working for me, anyone else?

I have a bunch of Anno games on Steam (though it took a while to find them--Anno 1404 is Dawn of Discovery and Anno 1701 is 1701 A.D. for some reason!) and I still need to work my way through them at some point.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Not to be a bother, Com_Raven, but since you're active in this thread: is there any chance of Anno 1701 being re-released on Steam?

Sorry, but I am not aware of any plans to bring the old Anno games back to Steam. They (including 1701) are however available on both GOG and Uplay. And Anno 1800 will of course also come to Steam.

Link's not working for me, anyone else?

I have a bunch of Anno games on Steam (though it took a while to find them--Anno 1404 is Dawn of Discovery and Anno 1701 is 1701 A.D. for some reason!) and I still need to work my way through them at some point.

Can you try again here? https://register.ubisoft.com/anno-1602-giveaway/

And yes, some of the older Anno titles had wildly varying names in different regions. Those are from back in the day when you often had a different publishing partner per territory back in the 90s and early 2000.s The dark ages, essentially :p

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Reminder to anyone interested that you can still grab a free copy of Anno 1602 until 22 December at 23:00 (local time)!

Jan 2, 2018
Thank you! Anno 1602 is the first PC game I've ever played and I still think it's the best entrie in the series.
I don't like Uplay that much, but I'll use it for sure for Anno! (Although I still possess the King Edition of the game since my childhood.)