• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Wii U had an infamous problem regarding mass effect, as the whole trilogy was available on other systems, but Wii U only got one game .

The same issue is happening with Devil May Cry which will cost 20 dollars on Switch when you can get the trilogy on other systems:/

What is the cause? Storage space depends on micro USB cards on Switch, but people Could still get the option to download separately each episode, and there are big micro USB cards.

Is it because they think Nintendo users are more easy to exploit, is it a form of contempt?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Nintendo tax, switch tax, portable tax; maybe the cost to port the game is significant, though I doubt it. Maybe this is a special edition. Maybe most people won't buy the port and that will send a clear message to Capcom. I guess we'll see.

I wouldn't call it exploitation, though.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
My theory is Capcom has beef with Nintendo ever since Nintendo stopped publishing their games in Europe.

Mass Effect was EA being EA.

Jun 14, 2018
User Warned - Console Warring
It's because Nintendo knows their customers will buy it. Of all the fanboys, Nintendo's are most blind.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't say. Could be that it's more work / costly / time consuming to port each individual game for Switch, thus the fragmented and higher priced releases. But I don't actually know. I'm more curious about why Devil May Cry on Switch is 9.2GB, while the HD Collection on PS4 is 12GB.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's switch strategy is just weird. Everything other than Resident Evil and Mega Man 11 has had issues and/or came out later than other systems. I imagine it isn't a priority and whoever is doing the porting has such limited resources that decisions like this are necessary

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of it comes down to it coming to Nintendo platforms so much later than others. It's an opportunity for them to get launch revenue again. Though, I agree, it's not good, especially in the case of DMC. I really don't get why it's only the first game.
This is the same exact thing as PC players only having the first Bayonetta
Not really, Bayonetta is cheap on PC. It's not anywhere close to the same price of getting the bundle on Switch/Wii U. That was a publishing exclusivity deal, that's it.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just the timing. Publishers realised they could charge for a remaster of just one game and people would still buy it. Remaster collections are much rarer in general these days. If this was just now getting it's first release on PS4 too it'd be the same situation.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It's just Capcom being a shitty publisher. They are charging $10 extra for Resident Evil games on Switch too.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Capcom thinks that they can squeeze more money out of the Nintendo fan base due to the games previously not releasing on Nintendo system or the convenience of handheld mode.

This is the same exact thing as PC players only having the first Bayonetta

What? No it's not. Nintendo paid for development and published Bayonetta 2. Why on earth would they then release it for PC?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
OP really comparing official prices for new releases on Switch with sale prices on other plattforms where the game has been available for years.

General statement - provides only one example.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Nintendo trained their users to buy fully priced Wii U ports, of course other publishers will ramp up the prices when they see people buying games at a high price.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nintendo stopped Capcom distribution because Capcom slowed down support not the other way around

My theory is:

1) Capcom announces MHW, signalling the move of MH away from Nintendo.

2) Nintendo then decides to stop publishing Capcom games in Europe

3) Capcom offers decent support in other regions (RE:REV 1+2, Okami, Dragon's Dogma were all priced well) in an effort to get Nintendo back to publishing their EU releases

4) Capcom still doesn't get Nintendo to change their mind about EU publishing and decides to stop all pretense and stop offering physical releases anywhere, upping the prices of their releases and offering the bare minimum in added content

Oct 25, 2017
My theory is:

1) Capcom announces MHW, signalling the move of MH away from Nintendo.

2) Nintendo then decides to stop publishing Capcom games in Europe

3) Capcom offers decent support in other regions (RE:REV 1+2, Okami, Dragon's Dogma were all priced well) in an effort to get Nintendo back to publishing their EU releases

4) Capcom still doesn't get Nintendo to change their mind about EU publishing and decides to stop all pretense and stop offering physical releases anywhere, upping the prices of their releases and offering the bare minimum in added content
Dont think they're doing that because Nintendo stopped helping.
Distribution is usually for top partners like SE is getting now

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Dont think they're doing that because Nintendo stopped helping.
Distribution is usually for top partners like SE is getting now

Right, but I'm having trouble figuring out any other explanation for Capcom's behavior here. They were doing very well with ports, launching them with price parity and new features, but then all of a sudden with RE0/1/4 they decided to completely stop putting in any sort of money into the releases. Then that continues with DMC.

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the frustration but then I see Nintendo first party games almost never dropping in price while other first party games on competing platforms do. Why? There is probably some correlation there.