• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
2yH9fDz.jpg
W1aWnGg.jpg
TJwx9Zr.jpg

For too long, symbols associated with a character I co-created have been co-opted by forces of oppression and to intimidate black Americans. This character and symbol was never intended as a symbol of oppression. This is a symbol of a systematic failure of equal justice. It's time to claim this symbol for the cause of equal justice and Black Lives Matter.
--Gerry Conway

Direct link to the fundraiser if the tweets are working. New shirts will be added every two days.

BLM - Skulls for Justice Custom Ink Fundraising

17 years, over 100 million custom t-shirts, 99% happy customers! Custom Ink is the t-shirt printing expert for your team, school, company, or any occasion.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The Punisher skull being co-opted by cops and stuff was always weird to me. I know it's just the visual and shit, and no real thought goes into it beyond 'shit looks so cool, bro,' but it's like my man, The Punisher would not be your friend.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
io9.gizmodo.com

As the Punisher Skull Re-Emerges on Cops in U.S. Protests, Marvel Comics Reckons With Its Imagery [Updated]

The appropriation of comic book character Frank Castle’s skull emblem by police and the military has been an ongoing issue for Marvel Entertainment as it wrestles with the questionable embrace of the anti-hero’s extrajudicial violence by real state and federal employees. But as the “Punisher...

Conway has been trying to get Marvel/Disney to use legal action to prevent cops from using the Punisher skull.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
io9.gizmodo.com

As the Punisher Skull Re-Emerges on Cops in U.S. Protests, Marvel Comics Reckons With Its Imagery [Updated]

The appropriation of comic book character Frank Castle’s skull emblem by police and the military has been an ongoing issue for Marvel Entertainment as it wrestles with the questionable embrace of the anti-hero’s extrajudicial violence by real state and federal employees. But as the “Punisher...

Conway has been trying to get Marvel/Disney to use legal action to prevent cops from using the Punisher skull.
this may be one of the single times I root for the ruthless Disney lawyers

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
The Punisher skull being co-opted by cops and stuff was always weird to me. I know it's just the visual and shit, and no real thought goes into it beyond 'shit looks so cool, bro,' but it's like my man, The Punisher would not be your friend.

It's like...they didn't understand what the punisher was about. The cops that liked him....are probably the ones that Punisher would find an enemy.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My SO and I were just asking each other a day or two ago why we see these everywhere (Toronto area). I knew it was the Punisher but I didn't know it was used as a cop or white supremacists symbol.

Any info out there on how that came to be?

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
It's like if cops had Judge Dredd as a symbol(an anti-hero at best).
It's almost like saying "yeah we're the baddies!"

Edit:Probably wrong here, because I haven't read Punisher, but do read Dredd, a satire of(fascist) policing.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The cops using the punisher's skull are oblivious to the fact that they would be first on Frank Castile's list.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I really want Disney to sue forces that use that logo. But with the creator using the logo for good, does that imply Disney does not have direct control of it? Or maybe he's putting Disney in a tough situation: sue him, but not the thugs who uses it as a symbol of terror?

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well I am happy to support this with the quickness I bought the second shirt I hope this campaign ends up being a massive success. Personally I have always hated how the Punisher logo was taken by police and racist and I hope Gerry Conway can take the logo back.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's like if cops had Judge Dredd as a symbol(an anti-hero at best).
It's almost like saying "yeah we're the baddies!"

Edit:Probably wrong here, because I haven't read Punisher, but do read Dredd, a satire of(fascist) policing.

Nah, you're pretty right on. The Punisher exists in a world that has characters like Spider-Man and Captain America. He represents something that doesn't really work with the world that he exists in and that's kind of the point. He is not meant to be a role-model.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely buying one! My closet is just black shirts and black tights and this fits perfectly with my vibe.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Heart's in the right place, but a death's head skull that's used by a serial killer is never going to fly as a symbol of "equal justice".

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool. I'm sure it feels terrible to see something you created being co-opted by shitty people.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
New design!
front_large_extended.png

The creator of this art is Sam Ines: "In his comic essay (About Face, 2019), Nate Powell (@NatePowellArt) describes the shifting paradigm behind the Punisher's emblem; from a voice for mistreated veterans after Vietnam War to an icon for jingoism and toxic masculinity. The challenge proposed by Gerry Conway: the reclaiming of the Punisher's skull, required the surmounting of this current perception of it – a perception of jingoism and machismo. In order to accomplish this, I felt I needed to draw from a place of personal discomfort. As a trans-woman, I felt the need to use this opportunity to draw attention to the tragic death of Marsha P. Johnson. Without her, there would be no LGBTQA+ Pride. In this way I might subvert the current view of the skull, from one of violence and oppression to once again speak as a voice for the marginalized. Say her name." MARSHA P. JOHNSON BLACK LIVES MATTER.

Last edited:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017

It was when I saw American Sniper which clued me in on military people co-opting the symbol. And it eventually trickles down into the police like everything else from the military.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered #3

when my gym opens back up it will be great wearing it there while I'm lifting next to all the cops that go there. Including the one fucking scumbag with the totenkopf tat

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Punisher would kill bad cops.

Yes. While I'm definitely not an authority on the character, my long box full of Punisher comics that I've had since my youth tells me that he typically would let minor offenses go, such as ohhhh say POSSIBLY paying for something with a counterfeit bill. At the same time, he would certainly "Punish" an officer who deliberately knelt on that same person's neck until he died.

As usual, many people who idolize this character seem to have no idea what he's actually about.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go for the first one if the font was better. The third one is an awesome design but I feel like it might fly under the radar a bit too much, so I think I might buy the second one.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
front_large_extended.png

www.customink.com

Black Lives Matter - Skulls For Justice #4 - Presented by Gerry Conway

For too long, symbols associated with a character I co-created have been co-opted by forces of oppression to intimidate black Americans. This character and symbol was never intended as a symbol of oppression. This is a symbol of a systematic failure of equal justice. It’s time to claim this...

New one for today:
The creator of this art is Sam Ines: "In his comic essay (About Face, 2019), Nate Powell (@NatePowellArt) describes the shifting paradigm behind the Punisher's emblem; from a voice for mistreated veterans after Vietnam War to an icon for jingoism and toxic masculinity. The challenge proposed by Gerry Conway: the reclaiming of the Punisher's skull, required the surmounting of this current perception of it – a perception of jingoism and machismo. In order to accomplish this, I felt I needed to draw from a place of personal discomfort. As a trans-woman, I felt the need to use this opportunity to draw attention to the tragic death of Marsha P. Johnson. Without her, there would be no LGBTQA+ Pride. In this way I might subvert the current view of the skull, from one of violence and oppression to once again speak as a voice for the marginalized. Say her name." MARSHA P. JOHNSON
BLACK LIVES MATTER.
@ArtistAuri

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
front_large_extended.png

www.customink.com

Black Lives Matter - Skulls For Justice #4 - Presented by Gerry Conway

For too long, symbols associated with a character I co-created have been co-opted by forces of oppression to intimidate black Americans. This character and symbol was never intended as a symbol of oppression. This is a symbol of a systematic failure of equal justice. It’s time to claim this...

New one for today:

I have access (with permission) to the high res PNGs of the art to this one in particular if anyone wants them.

Edit: I should also mention that today's conttibution is by comic book legend, Jerry Ordway!

front_large_extended.png

www.customink.com

Black Lives Matter - Skulls For Justice #5 - Presented by Gerry Conway

Last edited:

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, this is fucking great.

A killer blow to right wing fuckwits who have idiotically tried to co-opt The Punisher as a conservative figure.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
That third one in the OP is absolutely genius.

Don't know how the bigoted, psychopathic law enforcement/military chuds (and wannabes) who try to co-opt the symbol don't realise they'd be on Castle's chopping block.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Three new designs today!

front_large_extended.png
The creator of this art is Khalid Johnson: "My name is Khalid Johnson, I am a current SCAD graduate student studying sequential art. I aspire to create comics for Black people and people of color; superhero comics especially." @KhalidJohnson11

front_large_extended.png
The creator of this art is Felix Laurent: "As a teenager, I got into comics through Garth Ennis and Alan Moore's work. Now I'm 21 and I'm studying comic books in Brussels. I do some psychedelic/punk fanzines, and I'm dreaming of being published in the US one day." @The_Heretik

front_large_extended.png
The creator of this art is Adam Stone: "I'm a comic artist and illustrator living in the UK. I'm a big fan of comics, movies and wandering around the countryside, but I try to spend as much time as possible drawing and painting. I want to keep creating art and getting it out there to as many people as I can." @AdamStoneArtist