• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via Washington Post:
Concerns over right-wing extremist violence mounted in Germany this week, after a string of death threats against several politicians that support allowing refugees into the country.

The threats came only days after Walter Luebcke, a regional politician and member of Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative party, was fatally shot at point-blank range in what investigators described as an "execution." One suspect with ties to the far-right has been taken into custody.

Since the 2015 influx of refugees in the country, other German politicians have been targeted for their pro-migrant stances, including independent Cologne Mayor Henriette Reker and conservative Altena Mayor Andreas Hollstein, both of whom were stabbed but survived. Reker and Hollstein were reportedly among the politicians who recently received new threats.

The incidents have shocked a country that had hoped to have overcome the worst of the tensions triggered by a flood of refugees four years ago. Authorities have recorded hundreds of attacks against asylum centers across the country, while the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party surged in the polls, becoming the biggest opposition party in the current parliament.

As refugee arrivals have plummeted, however, German public discourse had largely moved on to focus on other issues, including climate change and more mundane debates such as motorway speed limits.

Sunday's revelation that a far-right suspect may be behind regional council leader Luebcke's death raised new concerns that the fears over refugees coming to Germany may have given a permanent boost to the country's far-right extremists.
Just horribly depressing all around. Lock if old.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing the police destroyed all records of the murderer's earlier crimes so we won't know the entire story.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
"Right-wing populist parties have normalized the rhetoric used by potential extremists. By continuously framing immigration as an urgent and existential threat, populist parties' rhetoric is destined to be interpreted as a justification for violence by some individuals," said Neumann, who urged the far-right AfD to reconsider its rhetoric amid the surge in threats.
This is how it starts. Each and every time. Everyone tends to forget that though. Cuz "muh freeze peach!".

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017

New findings suggest the documents didn't get deleted, but merely "locked" so the police can't access them anymore. The accused blew up a refugee home in 93, was active in both the NPD and a underground group called "Combat 18" which had ties to the NSU, and had multiple infractions regarding owning weapons and assault. Auf dem rechten Auge blind, our police and justice systems are blind on their right eye. But thank god every leftist that dares to participate in a protest gets their flat raided and is being watched 24/7.

This is how it starts. Each and every time. Everyone tends to forget that though. Cuz "muh freeze peach!".

It's not only right wing parties though. Hate speech has been normalized by newspapers (Springer) and centrists who are deathly afraid of losing their voters to the AFD.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Well at least the far right AfD is only in opposition. Think about what our country would be if they would be the government like in the USA.

Puh that was close

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like Germany is having the same problems as the UK with regards to one xenophobic party disrupting the entire political balance. Coward centrists kowtowing to the demands of such a party in the hopes they don't lose votes to them. It disgusts me.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Well that shit happens if you have a waste of carbon like MaaĂźen as the leadership of the BfV for so long.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately many have. They still vote for the right remembering 2015 although in 2019 there isn't even a made up crisis anymore. So Germans like many others tend to remember the wrong things.

That's humanity in a nutshell. The overwhelming majority would rather bury their head in the sand than allow themselves to see the parallels between the present and the past. And it's depressing to see the number of people who don't give a rat's ass about history, so they don't even know what happened in the past.

History is probably one of the most important thing you can learn in your life. We, as most other creatures on the planet, learn through our mistakes. Not learning about mistakes of the past lead inevitably for those mistakes to happen again. History is about learning from the mistakes of our ancestors. It's fucking important !

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
Germany about to enter the Xenophobic and rising racial tensions of immigration, conflated with aboutisism and fake news. Welcome to the ever growing circle of Country's that have fallen intro trap.

Who's next France? 2:1? Anyone?

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (permanent): dismissing white supremacist terrorist movements and Islamophobic fearmongering
When was the last time there was right wing terror attack with multiple perpetrators and not just one crazy guy. At least i cant remember a single one so i don't really know what these fears really come from. In contrast to islamic terrorism which happens pretty much daily.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
When was the last time there was right wing terror attack with multiple perpetrators and not just one crazy guy. At least i cant remember a single one so i don't really know what these fears really come from. In contrast to islamic terrorism which happens pretty much daily.
NSU

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately many have. They still vote for the right remembering 2015 although in 2019 there isn't even a made up crisis anymore. So Germans like many others tend to remember the wrong things.

In absolute numbers they don't seem to be able to extend their appeal either though, so that's at least somewhat relieving. AfD reached roughly 13% in 2017's federal election and current polls still have them at 13%. Still way too high a number for anyone to feel comfortable, but they appear to be already past their peak. Well, at least in the west, that is. It becomes more ugly when you separate Germany into west and east and realize that AfD polls close to or above 20% in some of the eastern states... There are still some deep issues running through Germany that haven't been successfully tackled for 30 years.

The rise of the AfD pales to the rise of the Greens though who somehow went from 9% in the last federal elections to 25-27% in current polls. When the world appears to go crazy, it's nice to have a reminder that it's not always (only) the right that benefits from this.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017

Are you being sarcastic?

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom

Semi related but it is what he says at 5:34 that is more chilling.

Q:What do you say about Adlof Hitler
A: He was a politcation of the 20th centuary what else would I say? I didn't know him personally.

Last edited:

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017

It's almost as if you're a simpleton who's oblivious to how the world works and making up shit to compensate.

Nov 9, 2017
What the hell Europe? I thought you guys had your shit together. Place is becoming more racist and right wing everyday. Brown people are scarce and hold little to no power. Anti-Semitism is also on the rise.

Deleted member 29806

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
In absolute numbers they don't seem to be able to extend their appeal either though, so that's at least somewhat relieving. AfD reached roughly 13% in 2017's federal election and current polls still have them at 13%. Still way too high a number for anyone to feel comfortable, but they appear to be already past their peak. Well, at least in the west, that is. It becomes more ugly when you separate Germany into west and east and realize that AfD polls close to or above 20% in some of the eastern states... There are still some deep issues running through Germany that haven't been successfully tackled for 30 years.

The rise of the AfD pales to the rise of the Greens though who somehow went from 9% in the last federal elections to 25-27% in current polls. When the world appears to go crazy, it's nice to have a reminder that it's not always (only) the right that benefits from this.
Maybe there is hope the AfD will be soon forgotten like the Republikaner. I don't believe it though as the AfD is rather for the concerned than the hardcore Nazis.

But you are right that it is nice to see how many look for an alternative to an incompetent administration somewhere leftish.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't help when the most read "newspaper" (right leaning) is stirring up hatred against foreigners and refugees for years.

"Shortly before the crime, the suspected murderer of Walther #LĂĽbcke read @BILD and @focusonline on his mobile phone (investigation authorities have found out). Coincidence?"

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
Are you being sarcastic?
He clearly didn't even read the article:
"Almost everywhere in Europe, the threat posed by right-wing extremists is now considered to be equal to the threat posed by Islamists," said Peter Neumann, the founding director of London's International Center for the Study of Radicalization. After years of being primarily focused on Islamist terrorism, authorities are only now really starting to adapt to a changed threat assessment, Neumann said.

Last week, officials revealed that there were almost 500 outstanding arrest warrants for right-wing German extremists. Official documents list more than 12,000 potentially violent right-wing extremists in the country — a number that has significantly increased in recent years.

Right-wing extremism had long posed a threat, Neumann said, but the rise of far-right populism has made it a more urgent concern in recent years, despite the drop in refugee arrivals. "Right-wing populist parties have normalized the rhetoric used by potential extremists. By continuously framing immigration as an urgent and existential threat, populist parties' rhetoric is destined to be interpreted as a justification for violence by some individuals," said Neumann,

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
New findings suggest the documents didn't get deleted, but merely "locked" so the police can't access them anymore. The accused blew up a refugee home in 93, was active in both the NPD and a underground group called "Combat 18" which had ties to the NSU, and had multiple infractions regarding owning weapons and assault. Auf dem rechten Auge blind, our police and justice systems are blind on their right eye. But thank god every leftist that dares to participate in a protest gets their flat raided and is being watched 24/7.

Thanks for the information. That's incredibly scary. Fuck.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Fuck off.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so the refugee crisis ended up helping the far right rise from the ashes?
I don't like to frame it that way because it sets up this choice of "social peace or refugees" but I think every large scale right wing surge across the world is driven somewhat by xenophobia that's been buried for a while but not truly eliminated, and Trumpism has just emboldened these elements internationally, with each xenophobic victory/event inspiring further xenophobic activism.

Doesn't help that characters like Bannon have world-wide reach and regularly tour other nations to create right wing international "solidarity".

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We just recently convicted far-right Nazis for plotting to kill Prince Harry for marrying a non-white.

But your a racist so you see things in the world as binary. How about all forms of extremism needs to be tackled and let's not weigh up one against the other?

Taikeny

Oct 27, 2017

lmao *cue j. jonah jameson.gif*