• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fellow Germans: Will you use this app?

• Yes

Votes: 216 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 21.5%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 33 10.4%

• Total voters

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Very nice numbers. I can even see an adoption rate of 10% already helping, a big event with a super spreader can be identified quickly

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Not available in your country.
Is there an apk I could download somewhere? I live 15km away from the German border.

Here, uploaded it. Hope MediaFire isn't too slow.

www.mediafire.com

Corona Warn App_v1.0.0

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Installed it a few minutes ago.
My state is one of the least impacted in cases and deaths, with 97% recovered or so. So even while I use gloves and masks when going out, I feel kind of safe right now. The worst that can happen right now would be a positive contact warning on my phone while outside. So it is a double-edged sword for my anxiety right now. I have the (partial) safety of knowing I would get warned of possible corona outbreaks, on the other hand, it would jump to the moon when I get a positive warning :/

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
The thing I am curious about actually is the battery drain of this app. Need to read about how that works.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Installed it a few minutes ago.
My state is one of the least impacted in cases and deaths, with 97% recovered or so. So even while I use gloves and masks when going out, I feel kind of safe right now. The worst that can happen right now would be a positive contact warning on my phone while outside. So it is a double-edged sword for my anxiety right now. I have the (partial) safety of knowing I would get warned of possible corona outbreaks, on the other hand, it would jump to the moon when I get a positive warning :/
at least within germany we have open borders again so its a good idea to have this app.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's these types of things that make me want erase any and all communication to the world.

Germans are succumbing to an NSA level tracking. But then again, I'd imagine most of the world has already succumbed to Big BrotheR. I guess that's a stale argument at this point :/
so did you read up on the app yet or was that just a drive-by?

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded it immediately. It doesn't seem to impact my battery life, which I am happy about. I hope they manage to communicate that this app is not a privacy or data security issue at all and get everybody to use it.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
The app is great and it does give me a feeling of safety just looking at it saying that I've not been exposed to a risk environment.

At the same time, I hope that social pressure ramps up. I hope more and more restaurants and bars deny entrance if you don't use the app. If you want to socialize you should be obligated to keep your social contacts safe by using the app.
I won't socialize with people who don't have the app anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
Just make sure you're wearing your tin foil hat at all times and you should be fine.
It really do be like that sometimes tho. As I stated in the post above, I apologize. Some nights I get increasingly disillusioned and cynical, which results in the ticking time bomb that was that shitty post. I really am sorry yall :/

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
So how does this work? Like it detects if you have been near a Corona Positive individual, but that person would need to have the app aswell right?

The question then is, how many individuals would be willing to share that information with the app, or even download it in the first place.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
So how does this work? Like it detects if you have been near a Corona Positive individual, but that person would need to have the app aswell right?

It exchanges anonymous, often changed IDs via Bluetooth Low Energy between all phones in the vicinity. Once a day it pulls all the IDs that have self identified as infected from a central and warns all users that came in contact with the respective ID, while calculating an individual risk level for each user based on closeness and duration of the contact.

The question then is, how many individuals would be willing to share that information with the app, or even download it in the first place.

Well we're on the right track with 9,6 million downloads in the first 3 days. There's of course the possibilty of people downloading and not using it and no way to check actual user numbers. There's no downside to sharing the infection status with the app, since it's all anonymous and I doubt anyone willing to download and use the app would not use the app for its intended purpose.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

The app already has 10 million downloads 3 days after launch.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

9.6 million people so far.

Jesus, just read the thread.

Oct 25, 2017

Its basically anonymized StreetPass

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Germany has a better track record when it comes to privacy concerns than most countries. I would be more willing to use this app than one proposed by my own country's government lol

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017

Yeh and if you read it carefully, the whole question is how many of those infected individuals would want to download and share that information.

But that question came from a lack of understanding how the app determines certain things. Thankfully someone else was willing to educate and explain it to me, instead of being rude about it.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes People SHOULD download and share this information when they were infected with the virus. There is no shame in this and it helps the wider population if it is known and shared.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
As long as I don't have to feed my government, employer or insurance with personal data, I won't do so.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017

According to the Reddit AMA they're working on bringing the app to other countries app stores.

Yes People SHOULD download and share this information when they were infected with the virus. There is no shame in this and it helps the wider population if it is known and shared.

There's no shame because not a single person will know.

As long as I don't have to feed my government, employer or insurance with personal data, I won't do so.

You don't enter a single piece of personal information into the app.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Looks like mine stopped working four days ago, no idea why. I have activated exposure logging but it keeps telling me to activate it. Anyone know a fix for this? I've tried rebooting my phone and turning Bluetooth off and on.

Guess I could always reinstall it...

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Looks like mine stopped working four days ago, no idea why. I have activated exposure logging but it keeps telling me to activate it. Anyone know a fix for this? I've tried rebooting my phone and turning Bluetooth off and on.

Guess I could always reinstall it...

Maybe you have 'location information' turned off on Android or only for the app?

Sep 12, 2018
I do not understand why these countries each make their own app when Google and Apple have one integrated with great privacy features in their phones already.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
As I'm in a town bordering Germany and work with Cross-border commuters when I'm supposed to be at the workplace I wonder if it would be worthwhile downloading the German one. The Swiss one is coming on Thursday, and I assume there would be no exclusive lock on the data.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Following the development of the Corona Warn app has been incredible, with early proponents (who just happened to be afiliated with big data tech and inner security) asking for heavy centralized logging, claiming it couldn't work without it and now the result is this really elegant, privacy-conscious design which even the CCC has no qualms with.