• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Such a damn tragedy from such stupidity :(

I don't want to sound like a dick but were there no fire sprinklers for such an emergency ?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating violence
I'm overcome with rage. I wish someone set them on fire.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I'm overcome with rage. I wish someone set them on fire.
Can't imagine how you must feel knowing the Australia fires have killed ~half a billion animals.

This is sad, it sucks, and it was stupid of them to do, but it doesn't seem like it was done with malice, and they turned themselves in. Setting them on fire seems a bit extreme.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I like how albeit a stupid mistake they respect the perpetrators identity. In the States their name, social, social(media), and addy would've been posted lol

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't want to sound like a dick but were there no fire sprinklers for such an emergency ?
Nope:

Meanwhile, questions have been raised about why the ape house had no sprinkler system or fire alarms, prompting the zoo to point out that they were not required when the building was built in the 1970s.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

Yeah not to take anything away from the tragedy, but doesn't it seem a bit crazy that it could kill so many animals. Not gonna lie but i kinda thought animals in a zoo lived in a fire proof environment and that they had someone to watch them on camera when it was closed. At least New Year with fireworks and all that shit.

I dunno just kinda crazy that it was "local residents" that alarmed the fire department and that it was all burnt down when they arrived. At least i would have thought that they had some kind of automatic fire alarm.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I like how albeit a stupid mistake they respect the perpetrators identity. In the States their name, social, social(media), and addy would've been posted lol
There was no malice on the part of the women, they had no intention of starting the fire, and when they heard about the tragedy, they immediately stepped forward to claim responsibility; they absolutely deserve to keep their privacy.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Zoo ownership deserves culpability for not installing basic safety precautions. The fire was an accident—but that wasn't.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
So have zoo enclosures been required to have fire alarms and sprinklers since the 70s?

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the animals are glad that they are imprisoned for live in tiny cages so that we can feel better because we have artificially saved a few of them from ...
us.
You do know that captive breeding programs are sometimes used to reintroduce animals back to the wild, right? Like California condors and red wolves?

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like this was a legitimate accident. Sadly, a lot of people really don't check their local fireworks regulations - quite often, consumer fireworks are banned for a reason.

I'm sure the animals are glad that they are imprisoned for live in tiny cages so that we can feel better because we have artificially saved a few of them from ...
us.
Zoos participate in captive breeding programs to help restore wild populations as well as wildlife rescue and rehabilitation.

Most zoos aren't Seaworld. They're staffed and run by people who genuinely care about and are passionate about wildlife, and are concerned for their welfare.

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck zoos. Actual sanctuaries are OK, and a few of them call themselves zoos but are generally non-profit, but the vast majority exist to make money as a form of entertainment. Of course some zoos make a big deal out of their 'captive breeding programs' which use a tiny amount of their resources but make good PR. Also, don't think that because you went to one zoo that seemed to be doing a good job that the vast majority in the world aren't shit holes. Even developed countries like Japan (with more zoos per capita than anywhere else on earth) have disgusting conditions and practices. I still have horrible flashbacks to the time I saw a lone tanuki frantically pacing back and forth in a tiny concrete cell.

If you genuinely care about animals donate directly to sanctuaries.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
You do know that captive breeding programs are sometimes used to reintroduce animals back to the wild, right? Like California condors and red wolves?
Read what you wrote and then reread what i wrote, it still stands.
Who cares about that? The animals?
The animal isn't the one who decided it's ok to get imprisoned for life in a tiny area, because he/she by chance belongs to a species that humans deemed more safe worthy than others (for the moment).
These breeding programs don't help the imprisoned animal and aren't done for them, they are done for us.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw one if those sky lanterns on NYE in Düsseldorf (city right next to where this happened) as well.

Didn't know they were banned. Somehow, every comment in the German news section makes it sound obvious but the same could be said about fireworks.

And even though these lanterns are forbidden, they are easily available to be bought here so that should stop.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
The animal isn't the one who decided it's ok to get imprisoned for life in a tiny area, because he/she by chance belongs to a species that humans deemed more safe worthy than others (for the moment).
These breeding programs don't help the imprisoned animal and aren't done for them, they are done for us.

The alternative is them going extinct.

The Iberian lynx breeding program is the only reason why the species is still alive for example.

BigBlue

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
So then you'd rather the animals become extinct?

Man you're acting like zoos are some form of concentration camp where animals are tortured. They are treated with the utmost care because they want them to breed and reinvigorate the population

Stop talking out of your ass please

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered about those fire lanterns.

I was at a park where people set them off and they are beautiful to watch and it looked fun to set them off and let them fly up in the air, but that paper is so thin I always thought it could be a serious fire hazard as well.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
us.
Looks like this was a legitimate accident. Sadly, a lot of people really don't check their local fireworks regulations - quite often, consumer fireworks are banned for a reason.

Zoos participate in captive breeding programs to help restore wild populations as well as wildlife rescue and rehabilitation.

Most zoos aren't Seaworld. They're staffed and run by people who genuinely care about and are passionate about wildlife, and are concerned for their welfare.

As well as the fact that zoos get people interested in animal conservation especially from when they are kids. We want that cause sadly as destructive as we are, the only thing that will save animals from us is for us to get interested enough to watch our destruction and try to not be destructive.

Zoos even if they didn't capture and release do serve a purpose... to raise awareness and get people to care. And there are a lot of zoos these days that at least try to approximate the animal's natural habitat and not just stick them in little cages. And many will have info for people to learn about the animals in a setting where people are curious and wanting to learn about them. Especially seeing the animals right in front of them and not just some picture. That makes the animals more real to the people and more likely for them to care about their plight.