• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Like, we've all heard 99 Red Balloons in some old movie or commercial, but how did it take me until 2020 to come across this fuckin BOP??? (via Netflix's Dark)

And then I'm exploring her Spotify page and it's filled with all this???

www.youtube.com

Nur geträumt

Provided to YouTube by BMG Rights Management GmbH Nur geträumt · Nena Nena ℗ 1983 Sony Music Entertainment (Germany) GMBH Producer: Manne Praeker Producer: R...

abbrrcK.gif

www.youtube.com

Leuchtturm

Provided to YouTube by BMG Rights Management GmbHLeuchtturm · NenaNena℗ 1983 Sony Music Entertainment Germany GmbH under exclusive license to BMG Rights Mana...

abbrrcK.gif

www.youtube.com

KITSCHKRIEG FEAT. NENA & TRETTMANN - "IRGENDWO"

"Irgendwo" von KitschKrieg feat. Nena & Trettmann, vom Album "KitschKrieg".Shop: https://kitschkrieg.de/shopAlbum streamen: https://kitschkrieg.lnk.to/kitsch...

abbrrcK.gif

And now I have no choice but to stan???

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Because she peaked in the 80s.

This is great though:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Obligatory recommendation for Farin Urlaub (Punkrock):

www.youtube.com

Farin Urlaub - OK (Offizielles Video)

Dies ist das offizielle Video zu "OK" aus dem Album "Endlich Urlaub!" von Farin Urlaub.Mehr Infos auf http://www.farin-urlaub.de

Last edited:

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I don't really like German music but Nenas old stuff is always appreciated. If you're into punk maybe "Die Ärzte" (The Doctors) are something for you, probably one of Germanys most acclaimed bands, at least the most acclaimed punk band.

Thematically this song holds up well, although the subtitles are rough.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Nena has around the same reputation as Ellen DeGeneres when it comes to being a total asshole off-stage.
Her Music is okay though.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I ever heard somebody talk about Nena where I live in the last years. She has basically faded into obscurity by now.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think that Dark gave that song a second life. It's used in such a memorable fashion in it.

Oct 28, 2017
two answers

1- Yeah, 99 Luftballons is cool, but we've all heard it so many times that probably every single person in Germany is tired of it

2 - Nena and others started a whole trend of German-language bands and artists that continues until today, but none of them got international attention

So we'd rather tell you about them

Like Wir Sind Helden

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
two answers

1- Yeah, 99 Luftballons is cool, but we've all heard it so many times that probably every single person in Germany is tired of it

2 - Nena and others started a whole trend of German-language bands and artists that continues until today, but none of them got international attention

So we'd rather tell you about them

Like Wir Sind Helden

Except Falco, who had a Nr.1 hit in 1985 with Rock me Amadeus ^_~

And to give him a little bit more credit:

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
Die Ärzte are worth another mention as well:

www.youtube.com

Die Ärzte "Elke"

Die Ärzte "Elke" Video 1999Lyrics:Es fing an, als sie mich anrief, da war ich gleich verlornIhre Stimme klang so zärtlich und so sanft in meinen OhrenSie sch...
www.youtube.com

Die Ärzte "Männer sind Schweine"

Die Ärzte "Männer sind Schweine" offizielles Video von 1998Lyrics:Hallo, mein Schatz: Ich liebe dich, du bist die Einzige für michDie andern find ich alle do...
www.youtube.com

Die Ärzte "Dinge von denen"

Die Ärzte "Dinge von denen" Video 2003Lyrics:Neulich kam sie und redet zu vielÜber die Frau von einem besten Freund und ihr falsches SpielSie will nur sein G...
www.youtube.com

die ärzte - M&F (Performance)

"M&F", die zweite Single aus dem soeben erschienenen neuen die die ärzte Album "auch", ist ab sofort erhältlich und enthält neben dem Titeltrack zwei nicht a...

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Heard her too much on radio when growing up. Maybe that's why I never told you.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Also check out SCOOTER ;)

Seriously Nena is in so many movies/tv shows - it's even in fucking Watchmen.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Ärzte and Farin are always solid recommendations - give Peter Fox a try if you want something else.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

Z0KuRrO.gif

Obligatory recommendation for Farin Urlaub (Punkrock):

www.youtube.com

Farin Urlaub - OK (Offizielles Video)

Dies ist das offizielle Video zu "OK" aus dem Album "Endlich Urlaub!" von Farin Urlaub.Mehr Infos auf http://www.farin-urlaub.de

zPfezsJ.gif

Maybe you'll like this, too:

I do! Albeit the English version, which is very well known in the US.

Basically check out anything from the era of "Neue Deutsche Welle", here's a random playlist I found:

Oooh there's a lot to dig through here - I'll be sure to give it a listen though!

this reminds me of The Offspring

He may have been from Austria and not Germany, but I can thoroughly recommend Falco

www.youtube.com

Falco - Mutter Der Mann Mit Dem Koks Ist Da [Official Music Video]

Falco - Mutter Der Mann Mit Dem Koks Ist Da Official Music Video from the DVD Falco - Everything.

BOP

Like Wir Sind Helden

video not available in my country :(

Die Toten Hosen is the GOAT German Punk/Rock band:

oop the last two are real good (i like the deer in the last video :3)

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Wait I always thought she sang "Hast du etwas Zeit für mich, dann reibe ich dein Glied für dich"

That puts the song into an entirely different context for me.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I somehow knew this thread was going to inspired by Dark before I opened it.

I had much the same reaction, thought it sounded like 99 red balloons, put two and two together and was annoyed I thought she was a one hit wonder.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah, Nena just comes off as an overall unlikable person. More cool German bands that haven't been mentioned:

AnnenMayKantereit

Beatsteaks

Kettcar

Tocotronic is also great but not sure there's an easy song to choose, just pick like any album to be honest.

And some cool stuff from our neighbors in Austria:
Bilderbuch

Wanda
youtu.be

Wanda (A) - Bologna

Music video by Wanda performing Bologna. Problembär Records

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

Pf43x5Z.gif

Except Falco, who had a Nr.1 hit in 1985 with Rock me Amadeus ^_~

AMADEUS AMADEUS AMADEUS

www.youtube.com

Die Ärzte "Männer sind Schweine"

Die Ärzte "Männer sind Schweine" offizielles Video von 1998Lyrics:Hallo, mein Schatz: Ich liebe dich, du bist die Einzige für michDie andern find ich alle do...

wait Lara Croft?! why is she trying to kill them?

What about Silvia though

And Malaria!

I don't know them!

now I do :)

Heard her too much on radio when growing up. Maybe that's why I never told you.

friends tell each other things

Austria Era why did you never tell me about Mozart!

WHO COULD HAVE KNOWN

so you're saying Nena is the German equivalent to Mozart? I agree

yes that is much better

Also check out SCOOTER ;)

www.youtube.com

Scooter - The Logical Song (Official Video)

New single “The Spell Remains” out now: https://scooter.lnk.to/TheSpellRemainsYo Latest Scooter album “God Save The Rave” OUT NOW!Get it here: https://scoote...

this? 🤔

Xmal Deutschland was the best NDW/post-punk band

which song of theirs is good?

this makes me want to do a folk dance or something

Ärzte and Farin are always solid recommendations - give Peter Fox a try if you want something else.

ooooooh I'm vibing with Peter Fox rn

die ärzte – MORGENS PAUKEN sounds good. idk who Farin is

god has forsaken this place

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Nena is cool. Like most new wave/NDW artists she fizzled out hard after the 80's though. At least that Anyplace, Anywhere, Anytime remake with Kim Wilde was pretty good.

Huh, what is this weird version of that song?

It's like an all-German language version of the Nena & Kim Wilde version of the song. I had no idea this version existed.

The original is superior.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She is super nice :) I ate Paella with her once backstage. She had autographed pictures of her prepared for children, while the other band of the night, a band called PUR did tell the children "no" whenever they asked for an autograph.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Try this:

and also this

Those are good! Reminds me of some 90s band

I'm glad you like it, I've fallen deep into a german punk/rock rabbit hole yesterday because of you :D

:)

zOatMNZ.gif

More cool German bands that haven't been mentioned:

AnnenMayKantereit

Beatsteaks

Kettcar

Bilderbuch

Wanda

Cool indeed! Thanx for sharing~