• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 24, 2017
Anytime there is a post involving Asians and racism on GAF and Era.

1. Rush to downplay the impact of racism against Asians. Some of it is whataboutism, very rarely is it oppression contests, mostly I think it's part of a larger pattern where Asians are used as a wedge against other POC and marginalized groups.

2. Comparing everything Asian through a lens of weebism. I get that to some extent, that was a gateway to a different part of the world.

3. Bring up that they have an Asian partner and that is some sort of validation to act an expert. Please, fucking stop with that bullshit.

4. General fucking colonialist attitude and condescending towards Asians whenever actual Asians try and explain the issues. Just because your delicate sensibilities get offended that you may have latent racist attitudes doesn't mean it's out of the realm of possibility.

5. Rally 'round the token. If any POC, or member of a marginalized group has a statement or view that is contretemps with the collective POC or marginalized experience, people want to hoist him on a elaborate Oriental palaquin and march that person around like the goddamn Sun God.

Last edited:

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Well i could let my asian girlfriend answer this... but she is not exactly fond of asian guys from her perspective. Maybe not every girl likes european or western guys... but a lot of them do.

And like i said... some years ago we got a commercial where a western guy ordered used pants from a asian girl online and then they showed two fat sumo guys running on a gym band. The girl sold their sweaty underpants to the guy. Nobody complained.
I think that one works because it's true.
This one tried to switch it around but it ends up just punching down on Asian women. Overall the crime here is that the commercial just isn't funny.

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
I can empathize and even wrote in my post that I can totally see why you would make note of this. My point that was I do not agree with asking such an ad to get removed as a consequence because of the reasons I described above, but thank's for ascribing character traits to me because you seemingly didn't actually read my post ;)
:)

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This video is intended for a predominantly german audience and nobody here ever heard of this "Asian women only being attracted to europeans" thing. Everybody knows about used underwear in vending machines though and this is precisely what the advertisement is refering to. It's pretty tastelesse and gross though.

And lol at the "purposely put a woman" there part. "Oh no, making fun of a heterosexual woman they could have played it straight (get it) by the 'pervert' being gay". Like it's a conscious decision not to make a gay person the butt of the joke. I really don't like the framing of your post.

They could have just depicted this as a drug response which in the video it kind of resembles anyway.

You want there to be a gay jabbing joke instead?

The point being, the advert is idiotic because no matter who they'd put in that position, man or woman, it's purpose is to make someone look humiliating and thus 'gag worthy' and 'funny'. They knew that putting a guy at the end would infer the typical gay joke, so a no go. Putting a white woman there would possibly be seen as sexist so no go either. But placing an Asian woman who is far removed from the typical German society and no one would probably care thus being the 'least controversial' and creating the least damage, but also invoking maximum comedy for the German TV audience.

Basically, "Asian memes are funny to us and nobody would care less". Until the fact that the Asians heard and saw about it and have kicked up a storm about it. Because humiliating the minority group (or in this case an entirely other seemingly industrialised country) which we care least/less about is okay.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Insensitive, disgusting and racist. I saw this ad on national TV. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea??

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017

1. Rush to downplay the impact of racism against Asians. Some of it is whataboutism, very rarely is it oppression contests, mostly I think it's part of a larger pattern where Asians are used as a wedge against other POC and marginalized groups.

2. Comparing everything Asian through a lease of weebism. I get that to some extent, that was a gateway to a different part of the world.

3. Bring up that they have an Asian partner and that is some sort of validation to act an expert. Please, fucking stop with that bullshit.

4. General fucking colonialist attitude and condescending towards Asians whenever actual Asians try and explain the issues. Just because your delicate sensibilities get offended that you may have latent racist attitudes doesn't mean it's out of the realm of possibility.

5. Rally 'round the token. If any POC, or member of a marginalized group has a statement or view that is contretemps with the collective POC or marginalized experience, people want to hoist him on a elaborate Oriental palaquin and march that person around like the goddamn Sun God.
You and Lesath pretty much summed everything about every Asian American issue ever posted on Era.

It's not surprising since the majorities' only knowledge of Asian people only extends as far as weeb culture without going any further than that.

plus

Oct 25, 2017
yo who remembers the time when that one dude thought that 'Asian people eat rats' wasn't racist lmao

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
But placing an Asian woman who is far removed from the typical German society and no one would probably care thus being the 'least controversial' and creating the least damage, but also invoking maximum comedy for the German TV audience.

Are we seriously just completely ignoring the fact that there were huge stories worldwide of clean air getting sold in China along with used panties being sold in vending machines in Japan, which completely explains the context for this ad?

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

2. Comparing everything Asian through a lease of weebism. I get that to some extent, that was a gateway to a different part of the world.

What I don't understand about #3 is, in that instance, why someone would care what randoms on the internet think on an issue if they could simply discuss with someone they know more closely and whose opinion they value far, far, far, far more than anonymous names on the internet.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, that's exactly what I wrote. Thanks for not at all completely strawmanning it :)
You said that German cultural norms shouldn't have to adhere to Korean cultural norms...as if German cultural norms don't have white supremacy and racism aren't baked into German culture. I'd say I'm spot fucking on.

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What I don't understand about #3 is, in that instance, why someone would care what randoms on the internet think on an issue if they could simply discuss with someone they know more closely and whose opinion they value far, far, far, far more than anonymous names on the internet.

It's just a cover up to not be seen as a racist.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
yo who remembers the time when that one dude thought that 'Asian people eat rats' wasn't racist lmao
Do you have a link? That's one of those "I believe it, but I need to see it" situations, like the guy who refused to wear deodorant and tried to find alternative stank solutions, like eating organic produce. Or the guy who, a long time ago got super mad about being fed lamb, and acted like it was an outrageously abnormal meat to have.

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
#3 They feel they've become honorary Asians by having a partner/friend/w/e therefore giving them the right to speak about Asian issues.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
You said that German cultural norms shouldn't have to adhere to Korean cultural norms...as if German cultural norms don't have white supremacy and racism aren't baked into German culture. I'd say I'm spot fucking on.

This was me, a few minutes ago:

What? No. Of course germany has racist stereotypes about Asian in its culture. But this stereotype, the one being talked about here just doesn't exist here. How can you, as someone who doesn't actually live here and has no real idea about what stereotypes do and don't exist, argue differently? You have no idea if you don't live in germany.

How in the world do you interpret "This stereotype doesn't exist here" as "Actually, Racism doesn't exist in germany"? Like, there is arguing in bad faith and then there is just straight up making shit up.

plus

Oct 25, 2017

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see this as racist but it still is gross because it seems to try to sell the idea that over abundance of sweat would appeal to women.

That shit doesn't fly.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#3 They feel they've become honorary Asians by having a partner/friend/w/e therefore giving them the right to speak about Asian issues.
In most instances, I think it's just people offering insight they've gleamed from personal, albeit second-hand, experience, to participate in a discussion. On any specific issue, I'd hope someone offering a view had asked someone first.

But what boggles my mind is why someone would care do to that, though. My in-laws opinion on this topic, whatever that opinion is if I asked them, would have far more value to me than any random person on the internet posting their thoughts, like this thread. All the same, I can't imagine why their view, expressed directly by them or indirectly through me, would mean fuck-all to anyone who doesn't know them.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
You've never heard of that as a German dude, even though many 60+ old dudes with their big beer tummy travel to Thailand just to try to get married with these woman or fuck them? I can't tell you how many people I've met that came to these countries with these expectations and outside of Thailand they saw that reality is not how they imagined it to be and in Thailand it's not even the Thai women doing this, but Asian women from other countries that need money for themselves and their family. Just look at Reddit and some Asia Travel Subreddits and how often people ask "I want to meet my woman for life in XYZ (Asia) - How do I find them? How easy is it?". They get blasted with insults.
Sure, that stereotype is well known, but at least to me that was always more about "creepy dude intentionally seeks out the socially / financially weakest women he can find and promises them a better life". Literally nothing in this stereotype is about attraction, at least not from the woman toward the man. In fact, I would argue that an integral part of the stereotype is that the women only do that due to their precarious situation and are very obviously not attracted to the creepy dude (again, I'm just describing the stereotype, not whether any of that is true).
The stereotype discussed ITT is something completely different, i.e., that Asian women are somehow more attracted to Western men as a person, period. I have to agree with the person you quoted as I have never heard of this version being widespread in Germany. I definitely get how you can interpret this video in that way if you're aware of that stereotype, but I had to read this thread to get any perspective other than "Oh, they're doing a genderswapped panties vending machine or that weird 'smell of spring' vending machine stuff".

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Are we seriously just completely ignoring the fact that there were huge stories worldwide of clean air getting sold in China along with used panties being sold in vending machines in Japan, which completely explains the context for this ad?

Because China and Japan are the two completely different countries and those are two completely different issues in two completely different societies/contexts? Everyone just loves to throw this and that Asian country and label it all as Asia because Asians are not deserving to be recognised as individual people of different countries/cultures/ethnicities. Throwing all these individual country issues into the same pot and labelling it Asian is disingenuous.

Bearing in mind that it's Japanese men buying used panties, but here we are again using women as a point of humour when it should be the men that are guilty of such stereotype?

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
In most instances, I think it's just people offering insight they've gleamed from personal, albeit second-hand, experience, to participate in a discussion. On any specific issue, I'd hope someone offering a view had asked someone first.

But what boggles my mind is why someone would care do to that, though. My in-laws opinion on this topic, whatever that opinion is if I asked them, would have far more value to me than any random person on the internet posting their thoughts, like this thread. All the same, I can't imagine why their view, expressed directly by them or indirectly through me, would mean fuck-all to anyone who doesn't know them.

Because some of these things are very real issues that we face, at least that's how I feel.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Because China and Japan are the two completely different countries and those are two completely different issues in two completely different societies/contexts? Everyone just loves to throw this and that Asian country and label it all as Asia because Asians are not deserving to be recognised as individual people of countries/cultures/ethnicities. Throwing all these individual country issues into the same pot and labelling it Asian is disingenuous.

I originally wanted to add a disclaimer that I know Japan and China aren't the same but that these are simply two obvious example as to how this ad makes sense in context that isn't just "They probably just didn't care about Asian Women." I don't know which of these two or if both examples where the context for the joke.

Bearing in mind that it's Japanese men buying used panties, but here we are again using women as a point of humour when it should be the men that are guilty of such stereotype?

Because the ad isn't about making fun of men or women who buy the clothing, it's about glorifying the smell of sweaty fat people after a days of garden work as the literal smell of spring, as the most beautiful smell in the world, because Hornbach ads are all about glorifying a man working in his yard to the most ridiculous extremes possible, as you could see in the ad I linked on the last page, where a naked, middle-aged german man literally crashes into and rides down a huge pile of wood and splinters and acts as if it's the most beautiful thing in the world.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was me, a few minutes ago:

How in the world do you interpret "This stereotype doesn't exist here" as "Actually, Racism doesn't exist in germany"? Like, there is arguing in bad faith and then there is just straight up making shit up.
Read your post history again.

Your in-laws aren't participating in the discussion and neither are these Asian women partners. If you have a black friend that tells you that you're an honorary black person and can say "nigga," does that give you a pass to say it to anyone? It's also a form of tokenization and your subject might know jack shit about the subject to begin with. And it's ALWAYS used to reinforce one's views instead of challenging them to learn more.

Sure, that stereotype is well known, but at least to me that was always more about "creepy dude intentionally seeks out the socially / financially weakest women he can find and promises them a better life". Literally nothing in this stereotype is about attraction, at least not from the woman toward the man. In fact, I would argue that an integral part of the stereotype is that the women only do that due to their precarious situation and are very obviously not attracted to the creepy dude (again, I'm just describing the stereotype, not whether any of that is true).
The stereotype discussed ITT is something completely different, i.e., that Asian women are somehow more attracted to Western men as a person, period. I have to agree with the person you quoted as I have never heard of this version being widespread in Germany. I definitely get how you can interpret this video in that way if you're aware of that stereotype, but I had to read this thread to get any perspective other than "Oh, they're doing a genderswapped panties vending machine or that weird 'smell of spring' vending machine stuff".
Asian women being fetishized and Japanese men buying panties are both racist stereotypes.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit. You have Korean women in Korea that are not part of the diaspora talking about how fucked up it is and you think Deutschland is somehow exempt from having racist stereotypes about Asians in its culture? Sorry not sorry, but this doesn't pass the sniff test.
I never said anything about there being " no racist asian stereotypes" in Germany, my post was specifically about the "implied" fetishization of Europeans through Asian women. It is literally not a thing in Germany, nobody believes that all Asian women ( and gay men, I suppose?) are inherently attracted to caucasian men.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I originally wanted to add a disclaimer that I know Japan and China aren't the same but that these are simply two obvious example as to how this ad makes sense in context that isn't just "They probably just didn't care about Asian Women." I don't know which of these two or if both examples where the context for the joke.

Because the ad isn't about making fun of men or women who buy the clothing, it's about glorifying the smell of sweaty fat people after a days of garden work as the literal smell of spring, as the most beautiful smell in the world, because Hornbach ads are all about glorifying a man working in his yard to the most ridiculous extremes possible, as you could see in the ad I linked on the last page, where a naked, middle-aged german man literally rides down a huge pile of wood and splinters and acts as if it's the most beautiful thing in the world.

Well Hornbach officially says it's to do with the polluted air, but as everyone on the first page seems to see, the used panties thing is just as recognisable. I personally don't think it was accidental. If you want to be shady at least do it with facts. Stereotype jokes work because it's undeniably true and we both agree and can laugh on it together. This caricature bears no resemblance to any real country and is just a hodgepodge of anything that can be made fun about with Asia.

The ad makes fun of unfortunate realities in Asia - countries having to catch up on development because of colonialism and thus pumping out lots of toxic pollution that the ordinary citizen has to deal with. The white man being able to casually work on his garden and send his 'spring smelling clothes' to an Asian woman worker in a polluted city who gladly receives this, the entire thing just reeks of colonist tones I'm afraid. It enforces unequal realities between races and nations in East and West.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns on Racism
Oh, so you really are not even interested in an actual nuanced discussion but just want to show off how woke you are.

This thread is peak cultural-imperialism-ERA. " Only my US centric interpretation of the events is the right one" against the literal intended audience trying to provide context.
Throwing around loaded terms like they are candy doesn't make you sound smart either.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

It is the exact same dumbass logic as, "I have a black friend."

The irony is that often the same people who recognize how idiotic the black friend line is can't see that Asian wife is the exact same concept.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, you are really good at having mature, fulfilling discussions and arguing for your point of view. The next time I'm not sure what my own opinions and points of view are, I'm just going to ask you. You seem to know them way better than me.
If you can't acknowledge that you wrote about adherence to cultural norms and how it doesn't reconcile with what you wrote about anti-Asian racism in German culture, there's not much to be discussed. Mature discussion is about introspection; not "you don't know German culture."

Oh, so you really are not even interested in an actual nuanced discussion but just want to show off how woke you are.

This thread is peak cultural-imperialism-ERA. " Only my US centric interpretation of the events is the right one" against the literal intended audience trying to provide context.
Throwing around loaded terms like they are candy doesn't make you sound smart either.
Read the above reply. You admit that you barely know anything about the stereotype and you think you can have a nuanced discussion about it? That's not how it works.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

This isn't about adopting a US-centric interpretation of events. It's between two sides, Hornbach (who are German) and Asian women. Their voice, their feelings, their human condition have been considered unimportant and deemed humour worthy by Hornbach. Germans may understand Hornbach's point and the humour shown in the ad, but that does not excuse Hornbach of ignorance and racism when the other side calls it out. When someone calls out racism, you don't say "well in my culture it's okay, or we don't see it that way". That's just ignoring the condition of the other side and how they feel about it.

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017

Clap to that.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017

yup yup

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Blame perverted Japanese men and their obsession with used panties.
C'mon. That's kind of a blanket statement, isn't it? Do we really know that there is a larger number of Japanese men that like used panties versus men in other countries? Used panties are just not as readily available in other countries maybe. I've never seen used panties sold in the US, but maybe I'm not looking in the right areas.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly gotta say I didn't see the pan-Asian racism coming, where people are claiming that the depiction simultaneously is of bad Chinese air AND of perverted Japanese men (the latter of which, of course, is fucking racist).

Nov 9, 2017

Thanks for pointing this out. It gets very tiring. People want to "white knight" for everything that might be offensive to any minority except Asians. When it is Asians the tone all of the sudden turns to "That isn't that bad" or "I don't quite see how that is racist". "The term "ricer" isn't offensive b/c I never heard it used as a slur against Asians." etc etc

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I honestly gotta say I didn't see the pan-Asian racism coming, where people are claiming that the depiction simultaneously is of bad Chinese air AND of perverted Japanese men (the latter of which, of course, is fucking racist).

I kind of did see it coming. It's a thread about Asia, which invariably gets all these "I'm an expert" kind of responses that just recycle the same old collection of weirdo Asian stereotypes.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW - I think people should think about the difference between "intentional racism" and "it's racist anyway" - that is to say, every year we have to have the same stupid chat about whether or not "Zwarte Piet" is racist - and 100% of the "not racist" folks are (typically) white young or old Dutch dudes (less and less each year, thank god, and there's PLENTY of Dutch folk who' ae NEVER defending the tradition) saying, "It's not meant to be racist it's meant to be a fun tradition" - which is great and to a certain extent true if you're a white Dutch guy (intent). But it's irrelevant. If you make a soup that is delicious for your mountain village, but deadly poison for everyone else, it's probably a good idea to stop selling it when they finally build a road to your village, because it's still deadly poison and now you're not isolated.

I think this ad has possibly good intentions - or has stumbled into a clumsy trope - but I don't get to decide whether it's offensive or not, because I am not the injured party. The underlying cliché - the Japanese panty vending machine - is not a meaningfully "real" problem in Japan. If you can find a panty vending machine in Tokyo during your normal daily life, then congratulations you are going to some weird places. So that brick in the creative wall is already tainted enough that you should consider what it looks like from the outside.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
It is the exact same dumbass logic as, "I have a black friend."

The irony is that often the same people who recognize how idiotic the black friend line is can't see that Asian wife is the exact same concept.

It takes on an even more sinister air when you remember how many avowed white supremacists have Asian wives and GFs

That blew my mind when I found that out.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
White worshipping gets a pretty big nope from me.

So many people claim it's the Asian women doing this but commercials like this show that no, it's not just the women falling into those patterns. There's a pretty obvious attempt by white men around the world to encourage white worship from non-white women.

Edit: also, obviously, what Lesath , TrailerParkRanger , Septimus Prime , and lots of other people have said, too.

Double edit: Also my super Asian, like born in Asia, husband meph saw this commercial and doesn't think it's okay, so there. A Real Asian has spoken. Plus my Real Asian husband trumps your Real Asian wife because if she was REALLY Asian she'd know that his opinion is more important because he's older.

Last edited: