• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Urg.... the spot just showed me a link to a website that sells used panties from all over the world... thats worse than the TV spot

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
While it's totally in their right to get angry at the imagery I have to say though, seeing some of these Japanese comments on the video saying things like 'as expected from the German' and bringing up Nazi Germany I feel like there's a pretty big lack of self awareness.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User banned (1 week): inflammatory false equivalence, dismissing concerns around racist stereotypes
The first few comments reminds me that ERA is mostly a forum occupied by dudes in the western world.....thus the lack of understanding.

This ad is 'somewhat' offending to the Asian ladies because it kinda reinforce Asian ladies are awe-struck and sexually attracted to white men..

I'm not sure racism is the correct term but it's definitely a form of stereotype it is trying to portray.

P.S. Am Asian guy, Singaporean to be specific. In Singapore and Malaysia, ladies that are 'into' western white dudes are given the term 'Sarong Party Girl' (SPG).

Well i could let my asian girlfriend answer this... but she is not exactly fond of asian guys from her perspective. Maybe not every girl likes european or western guys... but a lot of them do.

And like i said... some years ago we got a commercial where a western guy ordered used pants from a asian girl online and then they showed two fat sumo guys running on a gym band. The girl sold their sweaty underpants to the guy. Nobody complained.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While it's totally in their right to get angry at the imagery I have to say though, seeing some of these Japanese comments on the video saying things like 'as expected from the German' and bringing up Nazi Germany I feel like there's a pretty big lack of self awareness.
Just sounds like trolls tbh. Not that Japan are any where near Germany's handling of WWII as an historical event.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Well i could let my asian girlfriend answer this... but she is not exactly fond of asian guys from her perspective. Maybe not every girl likes european or western guys... but a lot of them do.

And like i said... some years ago we got a commercial where a western guy ordered used pants from a asian girl online and then they showed two fat sumo guys running on a gym band. The girl sold their sweaty underpants to the guy. Nobody complained.

Nice, I think you covered everything in one post. I have a friend, the stereotypes are actually true, and whataboutism.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
People are missing the reference that this is a play on the fact that you can buy bags of fresh air from exotic and clean places in Chinese cities.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019

Japanese internet comments are the same as you would take all the alt right YouTube comments.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nice, I think you covered everything in one post. I have a friend, the stereotypes are actually true, and whataboutism.

You are missing the point where i said he might be right in some parts but not entirly.

My gf was looking for a european guy because of her culture and she doesnt like it that every man in her country wants her to serve him even if she us only workmate or friend.

And she doesnt like the fact that the people in her culture tend to hit her woman and cheat on their woman a lot.

I told her that happens in every country but she thinks its not as bad as in her home country

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
You are missing the point where i said he might be right in some parts but not entirly.

My gf was looking for a european guy because of her culture and she doesnt like it that every man in her country wants her to serve him even if she us only workmate or friend.

And she doesnt like the fact that the people in her culture tend to hit her woman and cheat on their woman a lot.

I told her that happens in every country but she thinks its not as bad as in her home country
Where's she from?

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

You said maybe not every asian woman likes white European men but a lot of them do. Truly an acknowledgement that maybe he is right...but also actually wrong.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Google 'AMDK'.

It's a very specifically singaporean term on the stereotype of why asian ladies 'prefers' caucasian dudes...

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
We're still on the first page and we got people going "I don't see what's the big deal" and "Asians who don't experience racism in their own ethnically homogeneous countries thinks it's okay." Waiting on other timeless classics like, "I asked my Asian spouse and they thought it was funny" or linking some similarly racist ad but made in Asia to imply that racism is okay because the Asians do it too. We can speedrun this before the snap. I believe in you, ERA.

You've got your timeless classics now, this thread is developing pretty much as standard on era, quite impressive that it only take two pages to cover all the bases though.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
The first few comments reminds me that ERA is mostly a forum occupied by dudes in the western world.....thus the lack of understanding.

This ad is 'somewhat' offending to the Asian ladies because it kinda reinforce Asian ladies are awe-struck and sexually attracted to white men...

I missed the part where the lady choosing the product on the vending machine knew that the clothes belonged to a white man. I don't think race had much to do with it, they were clearly trying to be funny about the used panties vending machines, though they completely missed the mark. It wasn't funny, it was just weird.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

This ad is 'somewhat' offending to the Asian ladies because it kinda reinforce Asian ladies are awe-struck and sexually attracted to white men..

I'm not sure racism is the correct term but it's definitely a form of stereotype it is trying to portray.

P.S. Am Asian guy, Singaporean to be specific. In Singapore and Malaysia, ladies that are 'into' western white dudes are given the term 'Sarong Party Girl' (SPG).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarong_party_girl

Please for goodness sakes, people...understand more global context instead having just one perspective (from the west).
I'm not entirely sure of the context here, that just sounds cruel and racist itself rather than a valid reason to be mad.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a fun play on the 'perv buys used womens panties' trope. This way it's the other way around but with a twist. The point is being made by the ad is that urban people are missing something in their lives. And that is the long forgoten smell of sweat that comes from working hard on a project. The edgy parts are the sweaty hairy men (bit of shock value) and the Asian woman. I do think the woman is being used to point out that even on the other side of the world there is a need for this stuff. It also could be that the used panty trope is seen as a Japanese thing and therfor the woman is Asian. I don't see that as something worse than depicting a German in lederhosen or a Dutch person in wooden shoes.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They actually self stylise as a "DIY-store" in all naguages I know of, not a "hardware store". How do I know this? Well I happen to have done some of that translation work.

It's still bollocks. A "Heimwerkermarkt" is a Hardware Store, DYI Store is just silly sounding, even if technically correct.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. A lot of the posts at the beginning are missing an important point.

There was a decision that the receiver of the packaged shirt was a woman. An Asian woman to be exact. It could have easily been a man and become a gay gag joke, but no they purposely put a woman.
This video is intended for a predominantly german audience and nobody here ever heard of this "Asian women only being attracted to europeans" thing. Everybody knows about used underwear in vending machines though and this is precisely what the advertisement is refering to. It's pretty tastelesse and gross though.

And lol at the "purposely put a woman" there part. "Oh no, making fun of a heterosexual woman they could have played it straight (get it) by the 'pervert' being gay". Like it's a conscious decision not to make a gay person the butt of the joke. I really don't like the framing of your post.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I not know if racist

But gross est ja klar -aber nicht gross like "big" but like stank (oder stankgeschmeldt)

I'm german and I will definitely add "stankgeschmeldt" to my vocabulary and us it regularly, thank you for this gift.

To the add to the discussion:

Hornbacher adds are almost always completely ridiculous and play up any sort of garden work as the most important part of human life in a pretty self-depricating way. You don't need to understand german to see that in this ad, for example:
(NSFW, Nudity)

This add seems to play upon the fact that they literally sold out bottles of Air in China along with clothing, acting like the sweaty, wet shirts of fat, middle-aged man who worked in their garden are the most beautiful spring smell there is ("So riecht der Frühling" literally means "This is how spring smells"). I don't see what kinds of asian or south korean stereotypes are being played up here or how it is racist to be honest.

Last edited:

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
I'm german and I will definitely add "stankgeschmeldt" to my vocabulary and us it regularly, thank you for this gift.

To the add to the discussion:

Hornbacher adds are almost always completely ridiculous and play up any sort of garden work as the most important part of human life in a pretty self-depricating way. You don't need to understand german to see that in this ad, for example:
(NSFW, Nudity)

This add seems to play upon the fact that they literally sold out bottles of Air in China along with clothing, acting like the sweaty, wet shirts of fat, middle-aged man who worked in their garden are the most beautiful spring smell there is ("So riecht der Frühling" literally means "This is how spring smells"). I don't see what kinds of asian or south korean stereotypes are being played up here or how it is racist to be honest.

Whether it is intentional or not is up for debate but it's clearly offensive to Asian women.

Why? Because for them it represents how westerners objectify Asian women as sexual deviants that crave Caucasian males, it is a stereotype that Asian women find offensive. It is also a stereotype that western males believe. Is it offensive to you? Of course not, but that's not how being offended works. Is it racist? Absolutely. In the same way that black face is racist, to a lesser extent, this is also racist.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Doesn't Heimwerker roughly mean 'home-worker' though? That kind of suggests do-it-yourself.

It does, like I said, it's technically correct, it just sounds amazingly stupid, and won't change the fact that it's just a hardware store chain trying to be special.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Whether it is intentional or not is up for debate but it's clearly offensive to Asian women.

Why? Because for them it represents how westerners objectify Asian women as sexual deviants that crave Caucasian males, it is a stereotype that Asian women find offensive. It is also a stereotype that western males believe. Is it offensive to you? Of course not, but that's not how being offended works. Is it racist? Absolutely. In the same way that black face is racist, to a lesser extent, this is also racist.
That may be a stereotype in the US or whatever but in Germany I've never heard of this stereotype before. Like this whole thing is about air pollution.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This reads like a parody. A racist one.

This video is intended for a predominantly german audience and nobody here ever heard of this "Asian women only being attracted to europeans" thing. Everybody knows about used underwear in vending machines though and this is precisely what the advertisement is refering to. It's pretty tastelesse and gross though.

And lol at the "purposely put a woman" there part. "Oh no, making fun of a heterosexual woman they could have played it straight (get it) by the 'pervert' being gay". Like it's a conscious decision not to make a gay person the butt of the joke. I really don't like the framing of your post.
Bull Fucking Shit. You have Korean women in Korea that are not part of the diaspora talking about how fucked up it is and you think Deutschland is somehow exempt from having racist stereotypes about Asians in its culture? Sorry not sorry, but this doesn't pass the sniff test.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns on Racism
Wether it is intentional or not is up for debate but it's clearly offensive to Asian women.

Why? Because for them it represents how westerners objectify Asian women as sexual deviants that crave Caucasian males, it is a stereotype that Asian women find offensive. Is it offensive to you? Of course not, but that's not how being offended works. Is it racist? Absolutely. In the same way that black face is racist, to a lesser extent, this is also racist.

This isn't about portraying anyone as sexual deviants, nor does it portray Asian women as craving Caucasian males. So to find this add racist, you not only have to apply a stereotype on the people shown that doesn't exist where this ad was made but you also have to apply meaning to it that isn't evident from the add itself.

My point is: A german ad for the german market doesn't have to and, in my opinion, shouldn't be asked to be marketed and made according to social norms and stereotypes that are only known on the other end of the world. This isn't about showing Blackface where some feign ignorance to try to act like it's any less racist in Europe, while it's obviously not. As a german, I have seriously not even once heard of the stereotype of Asians "craving" Caucasian Males or that Asian women tend to be "sexual deviants". I just don't think that this is a thing here. So you'd have to first ask a society with no such negative stereotypes to bring those stereotypes into their societal consciousness only to then try not to apply those stereotypes which originally weren't even a thing.

What I can see is making note of the fact that different stereotypes and societal norms exist in the world and being amused at imagining how not OK such a piece of media would be in my country. I do that all the time consuming US media. What I can't see is asking those countries to conform to the societal norms I'm used to, even though those pieces of media have nothing to do with the stereotypes I know, aren't produced for my market and aren't intended for anyone who would adhere to or reinforce these stereotypes.

Bull Fucking Shit. You have Korean women in Korea that are not part of the diaspora talking about how fucked up it is and you think Deutschland is somehow exempt from having racist stereotypes about Asians in its culture? Sorry not sorry, but this doesn't pass the sniff test.
What? No. Of course germany has racist stereotypes about Asian in its culture. But this stereotype, the one being talked about here just doesn't exist here. How can you, as someone who doesn't actually live here and has no real idea about what stereotypes do and don't exist, argue differently? You have no idea if you don't live in germany.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
This reads like a parody. A racist one.

Isn't it stereotypical to expect all white people to share the exact same stereotypes though?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That may be a stereotype in the US or whatever but in Germany I've never heard of this stereotype before. Like this whole thing is about air pollution.

You've never heard of that as a German dude, even though many 60+ old dudes with their big beer tummy travel to Thailand just to try to get married with these woman or fuck them? I can't tell you how many people I've met that came to these countries with these expectations and outside of Thailand they saw that reality is not how they imagined it to be and in Thailand it's not even the Thai women doing this, but Asian women from other countries that need money for themselves and their family. Just look at Reddit and some Asia Travel Subreddits and how often people ask "I want to meet my woman for life in XYZ (Asia) - How do I find them? How easy is it?". They get blasted with insults.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think the main problematic aspect is the portrayal of Asians as weird deviants. I think it's clearly playing off the Japanese panty vending machine more than any specific Asian female white male issues

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't about portraying anyone as sexual deviants, nor does it portray Asian women as craving Caucasian males. So to find this add racist, you not only have to apply a stereotype on the people shown that doesn't exist where this ad was made but you also have to apply meaning to it that isn't evident from the add itself.

My point is: A german ad for the german market doesn't have to and, in my opinion, shouldn't be asked to be marketed and made according to social norms and stereotypes that are only known on the other end of the world. This isn't about showing Blackface where some feign ignorance to try to act like it's any less racist in Europe, while it's obviously not. As a german, I have seriously not even once heard of the stereotype of Asians "craving" Caucasian Males or that Asian women tend to be "sexual deviants". I just don't think that this is a thing here. So you'd have to first ask a society with no such negative stereotypes to bring those stereotypes into their societal consciousness only to then try not to apply those stereotypes which originally weren't even a thing.

What I can see is making note of the fact that different stereotypes and societal norms exist in the world and being amused at imagining how not OK such a piece of media would be in my country. I do that all the time consuming US media. What I can't see is asking those countries to conform to the societal norms I'm used to, even though those pieces of media have nothing to do with the stereotypes I know, aren't produced for my market and aren't intended for anyone who would adhere to or reinforce these stereotypes.

What? No. Of course germany has racist stereotypes about Asian in its culture. But this stereotype, the one being talked about here just doesn't exist here. How can you, as someone who doesn't actually live here and has no real idea about what stereotypes do and don't exist, argue differently? You have no idea if you don't live in germany.
I just explained to you why it's racist. It's not about you, it never was. It's about Asian women, but you're just going b-b-buuut.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This ad is really weird and really gross. It's actually a shame, because I think Hornbach does have pretty good/funny ads from time to time. This one here, not so much. While I believe that Hornbach didn't have racist motivations, I can see how this ad will not go well with certain audiences.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it stereotypical to expect all white people to share the exact same stereotypes though?
It is if you think white supremacy isn't a worldwide problem in a world where white colonialism isn't the cause of most of the world's ills.

Germany doesn't have clean hands in Asia and there are tons of German sexpats all over Asia. Your lack of knowledge about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
You've never heard of that as a German dude, even though many 60+ old dudes with their big beer tummy travel to Thailand just to try to get married with these woman or fuck them? I can't tell you how many people I've met that came to these countries with these expectations and outside of Thailand they saw that reality is not how they imagined it to be and in Thailand it's not even the Thai women doing this, but Asian women from other countries that need money for themselves and their family. Just look at Reddit and some Asia Travel Subreddits and how often people ask "I want to meet my woman for life in XYZ (Asia) - How do I find them? How easy is it?". They get blasted with insults.
That is something completely different though? I mean listen to Pussy by Rammstein, that thing is pretty known in Germany and also applies for men going to Russia/Ukraine for the same thing, but it is mostly about these perverts buying wifes and human trafficking than the notion that Asian women are only waiting for fat old and disgusting caucasians to marry them.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I just explained to you why it's racist. It's not about you, it never was. It's about Asian women, but you're just going b-b-buuut.

I'm explaining to you why societal norms in south korea don't have to apply or be catered towards in germany, just as german societal norms and stereotypes don't and shouldn't apply or be catered towards in South Korea but you're just going b-b-buuut.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
They could have just depicted this as a drug response which in the video it kind of resembles anyway.

Agreed. A lot of the posts at the beginning are missing an important point.

There was a decision that the receiver of the packaged shirt was a woman. An Asian woman to be exact. It could have easily been a man and become a gay gag joke, but no they purposely put a woman.

You want there to be a gay jabbing joke instead?

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
It is if you think white supremacy isn't a worldwide problem in a world where white colonialism isn't the cause of most of the world's ills.

Germany doesn't have clean hands in Asia and there are tons of German sexpats all over Asia. Your lack of knowledge about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Where are you from?

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
I'm explaining to you why societal norms in south korea don't have to apply or be catered towards in germany, just as german societal norms and stereotypes don't and shouldn't apply or be catered towards in South Korea but you're just going b-b-buuut.
People were offended why can't you just sit your ass down empathize? Oh right because it's not about you.

You can say it's not racist in Germany as much as you want but racism is racism. Just like how blackface is still racist in countries that claim to be unaware of the meaning of it.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That is something completely different though? I mean listen to Pussy by Rammstein, that thing is pretty known in Germany and also applies for men going to Russia/Ukraine for the same thing, but it is mostly about these perverts buying wifes and human trafficking than the notion that Asian women are only waiting for fat old and disgusting caucasians to marry them.

Having talked a lot with locals these past four years showed me that they mostly think that we feel superior and Asian women will fall to our knees. So it's not really different. These people travel there not to just get a woman, but also a woman that will do house work for them and all. If they come to Germany with you they have a cultural shock and then they seek freedom as soon as they realize that you are not that special here in Germany. Those people have this attitude towards Asia in general. I mean just look at Youtube and look up such stuff and documentaries. It's embarassing what we do and that they think that they are gods to those women... I am quiet shocked that you don't think that this is a big stereotype here.

Uhm...yes it's a big part here in Germany. Yes it's a stereotype. Like, are you really German?

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's ok to be racist if it's the societal norm...

They could have just depicted this as a drug response which in the video it kind of resembles anyway.

You want there to be a gay jabbing joke instead?
Era would be more understanding of gay-bashing than anti-Asian racism, but that's not saying much.

I've never seen something like this in any movie except the increase in Chinese love interests in recent years to cater to the mainland Chinese market. So no.
Are these love interests more men or women?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
People were offended why can't you just sit your ass down empathize? Oh right because it's not about you.

I can empathize and even wrote in my post that I can totally see why you would make note of this. My point was that I do not agree with asking such an ad to get removed as a consequence because of the reasons I described above, but thank's for ascribing character traits to me because you seemingly didn't actually read my post!
So it's ok to be racist if it's the societal norm...

Yup, that's exactly what I wrote. Thanks for not at all completely strawmanning it :)

Uhm...yes it's a big part here in Germany. Yes it's a stereotype. Like, are you really German?

Ne, aber eines meiner größten Hobbies ist es, mich in amerikanischen Foren als Deutscher auszugeben um so zu tun als wüsste ich was die gesellschaftlichen Normen in Deutschland sind, ist doch klar!

The example you brought up above isn't at all what this stereotype describes. People in western countries also drive to Eastern European countries for sex tourism. Not because Ukranians or Thais or whoever are known to "crave Caucasians", but because they know of human trafficking and unregulated prostitution and want to use their wealth to take advantage of that. Has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion.

Last edited: