• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
nqvc_1581235214-donald-tru7ja8.jpeg

Thanks for the nightmares

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad Joe couldn't also win NC, would have been an ultimate FU to Trump to win more electoral votes than he did in 2016. That said by Trump's own estimation Joe beat him in a landslide.

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
Do we think Georgia will follow Virginia's path and stay blue for the next elections until it eventually becomes a safe blue state?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
AZ and GA should replace IA and OH for democratic candidates running in the general election. They have democratic futures. IA and OH are trending away, and are even redder than TX!
Iowa is a fucking disaster. Our economy is backsliding hard, all our educated talent is moving elsewhere, and our elected officials are working hard to make Iowa even less attractive.

And to top it all off, we're among the worst states in the nation when it comes to COVID-19.

I have spent 11 years of my life in Iowa. Fuck Iowa.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Iowa is a fucking disaster. Our economy is backsliding hard, all our educated talent is moving elsewhere, and our elected officials are working hard to make Iowa even less attractive.

And to top it all off, we're among the worst states in the nation when it comes to COVID-19.

sounds like Ohio.

As a native son in Ohio, I can tell you first hand that the brain drain of talented kids leaving the state to enrich other states and economies is realllllly real. Those are blue voters heading out, leaving nothing but red behind.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

I hear Iowa and I think corn fields and primaries. What is the state really like. Trump's trade war couldn't have benefit the farmers, not sure why they voted for him.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
sounds like Ohio.

As a native son in Ohio, I can tell you first hand that the brain drain of talented kids leaving the state to enrich other states and economies is realllllly real. Those are blue voters heading out, leaving nothing but red behind.
Can you blame them? In Iowa there's nothing here for someone above a high school education, our culture has become incredibly ugly and anti-intellectual, and our state government has zero interest in fostering growth.

I hear Iowa and I think corn fields and primaries. What is the state really like. Trump's trade war couldn't have benefit the farmers, not sure why they voted for him.
A lot of corn fields and some scattered cities. No really big urban centers; the biggest is Des Moines with a bit over 200k people.

Trump repeatedly prioritized giving subsidies to farmers to offset the damage from the trade war, but even with that, it's not like they're voting for economic reasons.

Do we think Georgia will follow Virginia's path and stay blue for the next elections until it eventually becomes a safe blue state?
The demographic shifts in Georgia are all in the Democrats' favour, so I would say the blue-ing will continue. It will probably take longer to transition than Virginia due to the continued Republican control of state government, though

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Born, raised and voted ATLien here. Feels good, bros. It was only a matter of time with GA, didn't think it would be this early though. Thanks to those that voted, volunteered and worked to help make it happen.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is why you go out and vote folks. Doesn't matter if you live in a red or blue state. Nothing is set in stone.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia turned blue due to massive upspring of well educated, middle to upper class neighborhoods in NoVA. Partly due to massive defense industry employing hundreds and thousands of people in technical and IT positions. Even i worked in that sector for a while.

If Georgia were to turn blue it would have to be other factors.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Virginia turned blue due to massive upspring of well educated, middle to upper class neighborhoods in NoVA. Partly due to massive defense industry employing hundreds and thousands of people in technical and IT positions. Even i worked in that sector for a while.

If Georgia were to turn blue it would have to be other factors.

Pretty much just Atlanta getting bigger and things slowly spreading to close cities.

Diversity in big cities opens peoples minds, who knew?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

It's gonna be a battle ground again. It won't be safe as long as the state legislature is red. The gerrymandering this cycle will probably be uncanny.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if you told me in 2012 an election 8 years later would be relatively close with GA flipping and OH and FL being incontestably red i'd be like all kinds of wtf

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: No Democrat has ever beaten an incumbent president without winning Georgia.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty much just Atlanta getting bigger and things slowly spreading to close cities.

Diversity in big cities opens peoples minds, who knew?
Yeah ATL is basically the Hollywood of the South with so much production going on down there. It's expanding rapidly. I imagine if it keeps growing, it will be reliably blue sooner than later.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
That's what I always think when I see how deep red states like Mississippi and Louisiana are, since they've got such big AA communities.
Mississippi has some real insidious and racist rules. For you to win statewide office, you had to win a majority of COUNTIES, not votes. which meant basically no black person would have ever won a state wide office. They repealed that this year luckily, so they are on the right track. But yes, dozens of years of beating down and suppressing the black vote in these southern states has led to a lot of apathy in these communities. But its changing now, as people are beginning to see there is still hope for change.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
1992 was a split Republican ticket. Comparing it to 1992 or to Dixiecrats underscores how big of a change this is. Georgia is going the way of Virginia albeit slower.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After years on the sidelines of presidential elections, Georgia got the full swing-state treatment from the candidates and their campaigns this fall. Trump poured more than $15 million into TV ads in Georgia since June, making it one of the few states where he outspent Biden on TV, with the Democrat focusing his resources elsewhere.

Ivanka Trump visited Atlanta on Oct. 13 in an attempt to win back suburban women, a once-strong demographic for Republicans that has moved away from the party in the past four years. Trump traveled to Macon three days later, following his treatment for Covid-19, and Donald Trump Jr. also held events in Macon and Atlanta before the election to rally support for his father.

Meanwhile, Biden also visited Georgia for the first time as the party nominee a week before the election, holding a large drive-in rally in Atlanta. Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris spoke at Morehouse College to woo Black voters. And the Biden campaign brought in former President Barack Obama as the party's closing act in Atlanta the day before the election.

God, remember all that money and time Biden spent on Ohio? I can't believe Biden only visited Georgia once.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Mississippi has some real insidious and racist rules. For you to win statewide office, you had to win a majority of COUNTIES, not votes. which meant basically no black person would have ever won a state wide office. They repealed that this year luckily, so they are on the right track. But yes, dozens of years of beating down and suppressing the black vote in these southern states has led to a lot of apathy in these communities. But its changing now, as people are beginning to see there is still hope for change.
I have yet to see the data on it. But I'm willing to bet that Stacey Abrams winning the gubernatorial election--only for the governorship to be stolen from her--a couple of years ago really caught a lot of notice here in Georgia that actual change was possible. Such kudos to her for keeping that ball of momentum rolling for this year's presidential election, picking up so many further thousands of voters along the way.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was always "I'll believe it when I see it" because as a life long Georgian, I know how backwards this state can be. After Kemp's previous win, I didn't trust the early poll numbers at all. On my own street, I have neighbors that told my family they don't believe in masks nor participate in social distancing because they think it's a political thing, even though every single one of them got sick or had to isolate themselves for 14 days at some point during the pandemic. It has been frustrating to be around these people.

This flip though...

It's a nice feeling to know people out there voted with their brain and not purely on party loyalty. GA still has a long way to go, but this is a good start.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
cQW0Vaz.jpg

Seeing this, you could always count on the actual cities to go Blue. Columbus, Savannah, Albany, Augusta, and eventually Macon. But you can also see where the white flight to the county/s next door happened. Harris County, Warner Robbins, Evans and Martinez near Augusta, Tifton and other little communities.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I mean it's just a matter of time. States like GA and TX are getting bluer by the year as people move in for tech jobs and the like.

It's just a question of how many more election cycles before it is a stable blue state, not if.

I think this election should have shaken a lot of people's faith in the inevitability of victory through demo shifts. We saw a doomsday white supremacist gain ground with black voters, and a lot of ground with hispanic voters. And that's to say nothing of the Dems' response to this year's losses, which has thus far consisted of blaming leftists and BLM. It's too early to tell, but the party might be at a major crossroads and there's no guarantee they'll make the right choice.

Georgia is promising, but I'm not confident it isn't a one-off, and Texas is Lucy holding a football. I've been hearing "this is the year we flip Texas" since I was old enough to vote.

But we don't have to wait long to find out how it's gonna be. If Georgia can deliver the Senate, I'll be more than convinced. If it can't, even with the Democrats pouring every last ounce of energy they have left into these two races (this is the real spirit bomb), then no one should get too comfortable with Georgia wearing blue.

God, remember all that money and time Biden spent on Ohio? I can't believe Biden only visited Georgia once.

Never, ever bet on Ohio. Not in sports, not in politics, not in anything. Put us in the trash where we belong.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, no kidding. Looking at the results that year, it's nuts that he had ~20% of the vote in some states.
Not too surprising in hindsight. His popular infomercials played a lot during a time of much less media competition and as we have witnessed, being a tv personality can garner a lot of votes

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I still can't believe this happened and I can't believe even more that it was Georgia AND Arizona. Trump will go to his grave knowing he lost in a - according to him - "landslide" in terms of the EC AND with record popular vote for his opponent all while losing two heavy red states. A fucking loser, like he has always been.