• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 7, 2020
USA
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/g...ination-of-teachers/ar-BB1dqUce?ocid=msedgntp

Georgia's Department of Public Health raided a medical clinic and took away its COVID-19 vaccines after they found out the clinic was giving the vaccine to teachers.

"DPH took the action after learning the provider had been vaccinating individuals in the Elbert County School District who were outside of the current Phase 1A+ eligible population," the department said in a statement on Monday.

However, the medical center only moved on to vaccinating teachers because it had already vaccinated all the health care professionals who wanted the vaccine in the community, according to employees.

...honestly...I got nothing...

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
lmao. this is surely a fucking joke, right??

Teachers need to be protected asap! I mean shit it's gonna be another month and a half before they are fully protected anyway (20-ish days until the 2nd shot, then the 14 days it takes to fully kick in), we don't need to waste any time

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
It's like they want the next generation to be as stupid as them, if you are going to force kids back in school give the teachers the vaccine

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Guaranteed it's being funneled for an elite class or higher ups of some kind. That or it's about to spoil now, going to no one. I don't know which possibility is more sickening.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
They want to pass a bill in NC that would force school to go back in person. Teachers need to be moved up the list in every state.

May 29, 2019
NC is on the same trajectory, but

To reopen schools and not have teachers at the frontline for the vaccine is heartless.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Fucking cartoon villain level shit.
I hope this will contribute to Georgia turning blue permanently.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
"FREEZE MOTHERFUCKER! Thats the mayor's third cousin twice removed's vaccine."

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Where Are U.S. Teachers Ineligible to Be Vaccinated? (Published 2021)

Even in states where teachers are allowed to get shots, a sudden expansion of vaccine eligibility, combined with a limited supply of doses, has made it difficult for some to make appointments.

YujuLNA.png

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Guaranteed it's being funneled for an elite class or higher ups of some kind. That or it's about to spoil now, going to no one. I don't know which possibility is more sickening.

There was some stuff going on in the Bay Area too that I just saw a news clip of last night. This sort of reminded me of it. Only one, specific school district was a part of it, which sort of shows some case of shadiness (plus it's a wealthy neighborhood). This sounds like a different case though, with 'generic' teachers, rather than 'specific school district'.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this coupled with the fact that it's so difficult at my job for our elderly patients to even get signed up for the damn vaccine in the first place enrages me to no end. This shit shouldn't be this difficult.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I want my kid back in school too but I think this issue is actually pretty complicated. Jay Inslee has been a strong leader throughout the COVID era here in Washington and he's not allowing teachers to be vaccinated either.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I formerly worked for the Florida Department of Health, so I have some perspective on this. Different states have different phases or schedules of those who will get the vaccine first. The raid makes some logical sense if they are directly violating the order from the state department, and when supplies are limited. Florida has more than 20 million, and we have nowhere near enough supplies. I got angry having to constantly deny those immunocompromised, teachers and other vital workers a vaccine because of orders from the capital and governor. Teachers deserve to be vaccinated, given higher pay, benefits, and anything else they want. At this point however? When you have shit supply, we have to be ruthless about who gets it first. Which tells you everything about American healthcare, emergency management and our attitudes toward our own citizens.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I await AZ to pull shit like this soon, the GOP run states are already speedrunning to a another peak.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Of course Georgia Republicans continue to undermine teachers and schools. The Republican Party only continues to exist because of the uneducated, and their higher ups know it.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
lol

they should have been high priority

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I think AZ was one of the first states to allow teachers to get the vaccine, which is one of the reasons my high-risk 70 y/o father is having so much trouble getting one there despite being eligible.

And this is exactly why we could never win in Florida with our county health department. We were screwed no matter who we gave the vaccine to first, since we had to exclude some other vulnerable group. Do you cover long-term care facilities (LTCFs) first, and leave out seniors, teachers, etc? Or cover seniors first, struggle with supply issues, and leave our teachers, LTCFs, first responders, etc?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
And this is exactly why we could never win in Florida with our county health department. We were screwed no matter who we gave the vaccine to first, since we had to exclude some other vulnerable group. Do you cover long-term care facilities (LTCFs) first, and leave out seniors, teachers, etc? Or cover seniors first, struggle with supply issues, and leave our teachers, LTCFs, first responders, etc?

Yeah, I think it's a really difficult question. I don't think there is a right answer that goes beyond coming up with a plan and sticking with it.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think it's a really difficult question. I don't think there is a right answer that goes beyond coming up with a plan and sticking with it.

I partly quit as an epidemiologist because the job was stressful enough without getting constantly yelled and hated by the public, having a governor who's a Trump nutjob, a Surgeon General who's an idiot, and my county administrator who doesn't think poor citizens should get services.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to open schools for in person attendance, teachers must be next in line for vaccinations after high-risk individuals, medical personnel and other front line staff combatting the pandemic, it's criminally irresponsible to force people who could very well be 40+ years old to go to what could effectively be a COVID super-spreader events every day.

Vaccine distribution is tough and opening schools is an unnecessary risk right now, there is no right answer in this shitty situation. If schools should be open it should only be for smaller children in order to help parents who is are essential workers during this crisis.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
OK, I live one county over from Elbert county. i can see that vaccinating teachers is a popular issue but what about the nursing home residents or the 70 year old folks on CPAP at night?
Triage is the act of determining what medical interventions should be done first. In this case I agree with the GA Department of Health. The vaccine is reserved for 65 or older, nursing home residents, and health workers. They have the highest infection and death rate. The average teacher does not fall into these categories.
The triage was agreed upon by the CDC and the Public Health Department.
Would anyone here like to argue against the current categories?
The teachers are usually under 50 years old and the mask/distancing protocols help protect them.
Do we vaccinate those with the highest death/hospitalization rate or those who have less chance of an adverse outcome?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Here in Connecticut we've had schools open since the beginning of the school year and they just keep pushing teachers back in line to get vaccinated. First we were told January, then February, now March...

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Here in Connecticut we've had schools open since the beginning of the school year and they just keep pushing teachers back in line to get vaccinated. First we were told January, then February, now March...

If my info on Connecticut is of any note, its very likely an issue with enough supply and coordination. I just want people to understand that as much as teachers are mistreated, suggesting that all of us in public health are "fuck dem teachers" is insulting to the work I did and others trying to help others.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
OK, I live one county over from Elbert county. i can see that vaccinating teachers is a popular issue but what about the nursing home residents or the 70 year old folks on CPAP at night?
Triage is the act of determining what medical interventions should be done first. In this case I agree with the GA Department of Health. The vaccine is reserved for 65 or older, nursing home residents, and health workers. They have the highest infection and death rate. The average teacher does not fall into these categories.
The triage was agreed upon by the CDC and the Public Health Department.
Would anyone here like to argue against the current categories?
The teachers are usually under 50 years old and the mask/distancing protocols help protect them.
Do we vaccinate those with the highest death/hospitalization rate or those who have less chance of an adverse outcome?

The politics of the issue are a worthy consideration - in many counties throughout the country, it sounds like teachers simply will not return to work unless vaccinated. This is a career that we should view as essential, yet everyone in it had already been pushed to the brink before COVID. Many will strike or quit rather than return to work unvaccinated. We can't afford that.

I am a high-risk individual myself, and personally, I feel like people who are high-risk at any age should be getting vaccinated before teachers simply as a rational course of action. The most significant problem with COVID is overwhelming the medical system, that is the whole reason we had lockdowns so let's do what we can to keep the people who are likeliest to end up there out of the ER! But you can't ignore the emotion behind the issue, and the urgency with which some groups of students need to return to the supportive environment of the classroom - kids from low-income households, kids living in abusive and neglectful situations, etc. If this is what it takes then I think we have to look at vaccinating teachers before high-risk groups, as many states are already doing. But as I stated earlier, it's a complicated issue and there is no straightforward solution.

The fact is, people aren't going to be happy in a triage situation but that's where we're at. Not everybody who can make an argument for getting the vaccine sooner is going to be able to get one. That's triage. Myself, I feel the 60 y/o high risk individual who has to go to work at a Walmart should be vaccinated before a healthy 30 y/o teacher, it's frustrating, and hopefully things will look a lot better in a month or two.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, NY had been open as well but thankfully teachers are in the current 1B group that's getting vaccinated. My wife gets hers end of the month, right as her maternity leave which is clutch.

But everyone freaking out about schools being open without the teachers being vaccinated are being a bit alarmist as NY showed, the transmission rates in schools were very low given all the precautions that were taken. My wife was 6-9 months pregnant in the fall and while it was scary, she made it through with the only outbreaks occurring in students who circulated it outside of school.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If my info on Connecticut is of any note, its very likely an issue with enough supply and coordination. I just want people to understand that as much as teachers are mistreated, suggesting that all of us in public health are "fuck dem teachers" is insulting to the work I did and others trying to help others.
Connecticut is supposedly one of the top ranking states in getting their supply out and vaccinating, at least our governor keeps saying that. He made a bunch of changes to phase 1B and added in a bunch of groups and decided to prioritize other groups above teachers. I'm not shitting on public health officials at all, this was a decision made by our governor who has final say on the order in which people get vaccinated.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut is supposedly one of the top ranking states in getting their supply out and vaccinating, at least our governor keeps saying that. He made a bunch of changes to phase 1B and added in a bunch of groups and decided to prioritize other groups above teachers. I'm not shitting on public health officials at all, this was a decision made by our governor who has final say on the order in which people get vaccinated.

If Connecticut is good with supply, then it is appalling that teachers are getting the short end of the stick. My two friends in Connecticut (New Haven and Hartford) made it seem as if the coordination and supply had issues. Along with not wanting to run short since we have a new administration, and future supplies are short for second doses. I might be wrong, but that is what I have heard.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This is what happens when people continue to give Republicans their vote.

All teachers everywhere should start a strike.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Can't allow teachers to get vaccinated/ get priority because then that would be essentially admitting schools aren't actually safe. Opening schools is insane right now.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
They just announced here in Colorado that teachers are now eligible to get the vaccine along with people ages 65-69. At least my governor understands that teachers are important enough to get fast tracked to vaccines before the thought of opening schools takes place.

One of my wife's best friend's have quit their job teaching middle school in GA solely because they wanted her to teach full classrooms with no masks and no aides. She got a job teaching English to kids in China instead.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
If Connecticut is good with supply, then it is appalling that teachers are getting the short end of the stick. My two friends in Connecticut (New Haven and Hartford) made it seem as if the coordination and supply had issues. Along with not wanting to run short since we have a new administration, and future supplies are short for second doses. I might be wrong, but that is what I have heard.
There have been issues in all states about supply and coordination. Remember when Dr, Fauci said this?
at 5:44

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Teachers should be next right after the medicine staff and the seniors.

Fucking priorities, man.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Er, I meant that Connecticut has been good about getting the supply out that it gets, but I'm sure we're not getting as much as we want. Like, I think the logistics and coordination have been good with what we're being given.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
It's absolutely disgusting how teachers are being treated. Forced to open schools but aren't considered important enough for early vaccination.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
There have been issues in all states about supply and coordination. Remember when Dr, Fauci said this?
at 5:44

You ain't gotta tell me that. I had to personally deny enough people the vaccine in Florida, and we have a magnitude larger population that Connecticut.

Er, I meant that Connecticut has been good about getting the supply out that it gets, but I'm sure we're not getting as much as we want. Like, I think the logistics and coordination have been good with what we're being given.

If that's the case, then I have no idea why teachers aren't at the top of the list.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Same shit show here in NC and we have a democratic governor. Who knows what the hell he's thinking.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
As much as average people don't seem to care about teachers getting shafted in all this, you'd think they'd at least care about the fact that we know that children can spread COVID just as easily as adults, perhaps more so, given their decidedly less fastidious hygiene in many cases. All those kids running around in schools that aren't capable of being retrofitted for proper COVID safety, just one of them coming in infected, knowingly or unknowingly, and they're going to be spreading it to however many other kids who will then bring it home and almost certainly infect everyone else in their home. And then those people bring it into their workplaces and wherever they go shopping. Even after all of the past four years it's still somehow astonishing how stupid some people can really be.