• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
You need 51 seats to have control of the senate on major votes. Despite Democrats gaining the presidency, Republicans can still make shit exceedingly difficult for them if they have more numbers and can vote down their plans. This was a significant problem during the Obama presidency.

As it stands currently, Republicans will end up with 50 seats based on Alaska & North Carolina results. Democrats are currently at 48.

However in one of the contested states (Georgia), there are a special set of circumstances that have larger repercussions.
— The first is that they actually have two separate seats up for election.
— The second is that Georgia has a rule which states that a simple majority (over 50%) is required for a candidate to be declared a winner. In the event that that does not happen then the top two candidates (likely one D, one R) will go forward onto a special runoff election in January.

As you can see no one has broken 50, so there will be 2 sets of runoff elections in January. Given the numbers, the chance that Dems could take both seats is slim but not impossible - (It would require a significant amount of work to get people up and voting to make it happen). If successful it would mean that the Senate vote would not be under Republican control and partisan votes would likely be split 50/50. However, in the event of such splits, the Vice President's vote acts as a tie-breaker which would make it unlikely that Republicans could block Democratic agendas like they have before.

I need to post something here regarding Alaska: Alaska is nowhere near determining their EC/Senate results as an estimated 50% of their ballots have not been counted. If the trend regarding mail-in and absentee ballots nationwide also occurs in Alaska, we can be looking at an additional seat for the Democrats.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
can someone who is not registered in GA register for the upcoming run off? or is it basically only for people already registered?

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
If the Senate ends up 50/50 can Moscow Mitch still block bills from even being voted on?

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
can someone who is not registered in GA register for the upcoming run off? or is it basically only for people already registered?

If you turn 18 by January 5, 2021, you are eligible to register and vote in the run-off elections.

November 18, 2020 - Earliest day for a registrar to mail an absentee ballot for the General Election Runoff for Federal Offices.
December 7, 2020 - Last day a person may register and be eligible to vote in the January General Election Runoff for Federal Offices.
December 14, 2020 - Advanced In Person (Early) Voting begins for the General Election Runoff for Federal Offices.
January 5, 2021 - General Election Runoff for Federal Offices

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Do Ossoff and Warnock have much of a chance? I mean, Ossoff barely scraped by into the runoff so IDK how confident I'm feeling about this.
There's definitely a chance. I mean we took a runoff in freaking AL.

+ Trump cultists depressed
+ Trump not on the ballot
+ Biden will get the usual approval bump leading up to his swearing in
+ Lots of chances to press the R candidates on things like if they will support more COVID support bills
+ Decent candidates

- Runoff elections usually have lower turnout, which can (but not always) hurt Ds
- Traditionally red state

We won't know until we try. Definitely a much more real chance than SC

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be a duel sign for both of them. I want to put it in my yard

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I've never worn political apparel in my life, but I'm thinking about getting some Ossoff/Warnock merch to wear while the blue pride is running high.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If the Senate ends up 50/50 can Moscow Mitch still block bills from even being voted on?
Nope Dems get majority leader cause Vice President gets majority leader

+ Lots of chances to press the R candidates on things like if they will support more COVID support bills
+ Decent candidates

- Runoff elections usually have lower turnout, which can (but not always) hurt Ds

Our best hope is Trump goes nuclear on the gop on the way out and causes a schism. Losing a third of the votes would hurt deeply

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Requested mine this afternoon to my out of state home address I'll be in for the holidays. Voted early in person this election so hopefully the mail process goes smoothly.

If not I'll fly my ass back to vote in person.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Already planning on setting aside money from my next paycheck to donate.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
For a non American, can someone explain to me why is this so important for the Senate?
It's a republican leaning state, and Republicans currently lead in control of the Senate, Democratic Candidate for Senate in Alaska is still be counted but control of the Senate comes down to these 2 Georgia runoff races. Mitch Mcconnell the Republican leader of the Senate currently and who will keep his post if they take the Senate again, has blocked COVID relief bills from the lower Chamber (House of Reps) since back in May.

All the court appointments Trump made were due to vacancies that Mcconnell created by stonewalling Obama's appointments (not being brought up to a vote) He's an obstructionist and the feeling many US citizens have that the system is broken are due in no small part to his fuckery.

Oct 27, 2017
I need to post something here regarding Alaska: Alaska is nowhere near determining their EC/Senate results as an estimated 50% of their ballots have not been counted. If the trend regarding mail-in and absentee ballots nationwide also occurs in Alaska, we can be looking at an additional seat for the Democrats.
you are absolutely right — it is possible as there are many votes to count and post in votes do tend to lean Dem. I'm just assuming that it is unlikely given that the last time checked, Republicans votes outnumbered them at something like 2:1 which would be quite difficult to overcome.

I would however absolutely love to be wrong on that. No part of me wants to see another Republican controlled Senate as they will just block any and everything for the sake of it.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Just donated $50 to Fair Fight. Will donate again as I can.

All - text your friends, family, everyone you know who are celebrating the Biden victory today, explain, and share a link to donate. We have a lot of momentum right now and if we capitalize on it, it could make all the difference in January!

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a fucking huge undertaking. I don't know man....
I actually think Democrats have a serious chance at this. Trump not being on the ticket will be deactivate so many Trump voters. They are completely deflated now.

I'm not saying for sure Dems will pull it off but I think we can do it!

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Hey RBH Do you want to collaborate on a thread for the two special elections?
I'd legit love to, but my crazy work schedule in the hospital is probably going to prevent me from keeping a thread updated properly and on a consistent basis from now until January :(

LifeLine might be interested though:

www.resetera.com

Georgia Runoff Elections |OT| Democrats take control of the Senate. Warnock (D) wins, Ossoff (D) wins.

In only 2 months, the fate of the senate and Biden's first four years will be decided in what is projected to be the most expensive congressional race in history. Election season is not over yet. Voter registration for Georgia ends December 7th! Runoff Election 1: David Perdue (R) vs Jon...

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

+ Decent candidates

In 2019 10M people live in Georgia according to wikipedia
only 5M people voted in the 2020 election

That means another potential 2-3M voters (idk how many kids or too young to vote)

🤯

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
Do not just do this for Georgia. Do this for the rest of the United States and the World. It is extremely important!

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something to watch:

Reading "protect all legal votes" makes me think this is partisan fuckery, but it is the GA Secretary of State so a thumb on the scale here might make some shit happen to try and push Perdue back above 50% from 49.8%.

Then again, the runoff is already announced so maybe this doesn't affect shit at all. I'm ignorant about the process in Georgia so take it with a grain of salt.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Georgian resident here, I'll be ready when the time comes. I did just move to a different county last week so I have to wait a bit. But this is the best gift I could receive as a new homeowner lol.

I hope we can keep this energy going though. We finally have the numbers to compete, we just have to stay motivated. 2 more months of "RADICAL JON OSSOFF ADS", LETS FUCKING GO 🤣

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dems need to whip out every fucking weapon they have here. Biden/Harris, Obamas, Abrams, Pete, whoever and have them campaigning and ground gaming non stop