• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will George RR Martin actually finish Winds of Winter?

• YES

Votes: 242 32.1%
  • NO

Votes: 513 67.9%

• Total voters

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
I hope he finishes the book or atleast he leaves notes and stuff for some one like Joe Abercrombie or Mark Lawernce or may be even Brandon Sanderson can finish the series :( The show really shouldn't be the ending we get from such an epic series

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As usual, some people act like entitled assholes ITT. The man doesn't owe you anything and his health is more important than dragons and white walkers.

I know that it's easy to get cynical these days but maybe try to have a modicum of respect for what this man has given us already and the situation he finds himself in.
nah, there's an unspoken understanding that it's a dick move for a storyteller to leave the audience hanging. I imagine it dates back to the first stories ever told by a campfire.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
look if Dance turns ten before we even get a WoW release date, then i"ll worry about Winds. But it if will happen and i have to believe that it will happen because the alternative is like ten different cliffhangers of increasing anxiety never being resolved and I do not want to deal with that

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
its been so long since ADWD that i have gone from disliking AFFC to kind of being meh about it to really admiring it

is that stockholm syndrome

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That one is almost worst, I don't think Rothfuss has said anything in a while, has pretty much stopped writing, and pretty much lied from the beginning about the trilogy "is already done."

It's basically nothing but he talked about it last year.

He discussed how, yes, he had completed a draft of the entire Kingkiller Chronicle back in 2000 but described this early version as "a book you would not have liked, because it was just discernibly bad" and emphasized the changes that he had made to it in the nearly twenty years since then.

"But I am moving forward," he said. "More importantly, I'm finally getting my life sorted out so that I can go back and approach my writing and my craft with the joy that I used to feel back in the day, when I was just an idiot kid playing D&D or working on my unpublishable fantasy novel."

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically nothing but he talked about it last year.

He discussed how, yes, he had completed a draft of the entire Kingkiller Chronicle back in 2000 but described this early version as "a book you would not have liked, because it was just discernibly bad" and emphasized the changes that he had made to it in the nearly twenty years since then.

"But I am moving forward," he said. "More importantly, I'm finally getting my life sorted out so that I can go back and approach my writing and my craft with the joy that I used to feel back in the day, when I was just an idiot kid playing D&D or working on my unpublishable fantasy novel."

He taught a college English class I took in 2000. From what I remember, the story was pretty huge at that time like he says. I never read it myself but he was letting others in the class read it. I thought it would just be some amateur thing so I never bothered.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hahaha

As juice drips down my chin and I drink wine to help with the digestion.

If he was working at all, like even a little, the book would have been out years ago. I don't care what trade you are in, imagine not delivering a product you're expected to release for three years. Let alone six, or nine or whatever it's up to nine now for Winds of Winter? I lost count. No one would believe you. I don't care if you're a programmer or writing children's stories or building a porch.

More power to the man, it's not like he owes us anything really. But it is as fantastical as the dragons in his stories to believe he has worked much at all on Winds.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
thats cool George. Ttoo bad your series was destroyed by a couple of wankers and I'll never be able to see it as more than a piece of shit.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
He's writing a Westeros Cookbook.

Remember how some of us thought that with the Meereenese Knot resolved that TWoW would be out sooner than AFfC or ADWD? lol fuck

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Joke's on us. He'll finish it, but no one will be alive to read it.
Just yesterday I was thinking about the end of the TV show and I couldn't even remember everything that happened.

I just don't give two shits anymore, like at all. I'll just go on the reddit page if the book comes out and read some posts.

Way to win George. Oh and the jets still blow

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
Getting plenty of writing done... so we can expect six more Dunk and Egg books and a second book of Fire and Blood?

Jan 31, 2018
Doesn't matter. Next time he gets a case of writers block or hits a knot, he'll erase everything and start again, just like he always does.

I had actually forgotten about this what with the shows awful ending and Martin's inability to finish anything he starts.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I believe he's safe. I believe he's healthy. I hope he continues to stay safe and healthy.

But that part about plenty of writing? Ha, good one! Lifting my mood to see that good old GRRM hasn't lost his humor yet.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Writing every day?
giphy.gif
I would have more respect for him at this point if he just said yeah I'm not finishing it. I'm on to other stuff now.
came for snark, was not disappointed.

Krozur

Oct 27, 2017
Jokes on all of us, he isn't writing Winds of Winter, he is working on another spin-off or working on the new HBO series. Still counts as time in Westeros...

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously wonder who is George R.R. Martin's publisher and how are they this patient with waiting for his next book?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder howGRRM is looking at the blowback on the (extremely successful and beloved) show as an opportunity to enact giant "revisions?"

The biggest opportunity from my perspective is to give the Night King a persona and a story- and give the Mountain a proper comeuppance - his brother suffered the least of any of his victims and arguably is the only personal beneficiary of the Mountain's horror shows.

this could be the written equivalent of the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'll believe it when it's on the bookshelf.

Sadly while the show ending makes sense for the books given her arc through ADWD so far (and unlikely Martin would just have her go stupid and insane practically overnight in the dumbest possible way), it didn't make sense for the show given how they changed her arc. D&D wanted the shock of the book ending without putting in the work to bring the characters there naturally.

I think the best ending the show could have done that would have made sense would be to have had her win (lose one dragon in final battle, not to sneak attack Euron), not mindlessly torch King's Landing but instead have her accidentally set off the wildfire cache during a less one sided battle. Have the regret and shame of what had happened cause her to simply leave Westeros and return East to rule where she had lived her whole life anyways. Basically give her a victory that rings truly empty in Westeros when she's faced with all she's lost and all the damage she's done for a crown she never really considered if she wanted. The loss of two of her dragons and immense numbers of troops only tempered by some pride in defeating the Night King (not that the show didn't flub that too...).

Jon gets left to pick up the pieces, once again taking up a mantle he didn't want to rebuild a broken kingdom.

My guess? He's sitting at home binge watching Netflix.

Nightflyers on repeat, sad that it didn't give him another pile of money.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder howGRRM is looking at the blowback on the (extremely successful and beloved) show as an opportunity to enact giant "revisions?"

The biggest opportunity from my perspective is to give the Night King a persona and a story- and give the Mountain a proper comeuppance - his brother suffered the least of any of his victims and arguably is the only personal beneficiary of the Mountain's horror shows.

this could be the written equivalent of the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut.
There is no Night King in the books, that was show only.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no Night King in the books, that was show only.

I've read all the books - I'm thinking more along the lines of a revisionary "fable" - "remember the white walkers once had a king..." - not that he appear suddenly in the story. I'd be happy to see his take on it even if it's a literal punch and judy show gag