• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

www.ign.com

George R.R. Martin Wishes the Game of Thrones Books Had Stayed Ahead of the Show - IGN

In a new interview, Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin talks about why he wishes the books had managed to stay ahead of the show, saying that it made things "a little strange."

In a new interview with Chicago's PBS station, Martin admitted that that "looking back, I wish I'd stayed ahead of the books." He talked about the large head start he had when Game of Thrones first aired in 2011, and reiterated that he never thought the show would move past the books

tenor.gif

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Not a new sentiment that he's expressed. This thread is just gonna dredge up the same old garbage.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hes probably struggling with coming up with a better way to get the characters to their endings, after seeing how poorly the shows ending was received. Even if its better, I could see the pressure being so much worse now that the show is over.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I understand what kind of issues he has had with Winds of Winter, but he's had 10 years to finish the series, let alone finish that one book.

I also think he's probably partially given up on the books since the GoT hype is gone and he has to find a way to not only change the endings, but also get around the pointlessness of the Great War.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That is a FANTASTIC headline.

Me too, George. me too. Somebody should talk to someone about that.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
I'm just glad the show kept all the messy stuff from the books out of it can you imagine how much worse S7&8 would have been if it had to wrap up all that other crap that RR Martin introduced like mama stark , dorne etc

less

Oct 25, 2017
Martin buddy, I wish the same but it was never meant to be. Just like how the next book will never be released.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hes probably struggling with coming up with a better way to get the characters to their endings, after seeing how poorly the shows ending was received. Even if its better, I could see the pressure being so much worse now that the show is over.
People said that would happen way before the ending even aired.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think the pressure would be lighter. He could churn out basically anything and it would be better than what the show delivered. Seems like Martin is a bit of a perfectionist, though, which is why he's written and scrapped enough pages to fill multiple books. The wait isn't as bad knowing the result will make it all worthwhile.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
I dunno if feels at this point it is becoming a bit of a meme. But it feels like I read something like this from him every few weeks but never when the book actually gonna come……. The show is done and feels like it is buried in my mind already by how it ended.. Don't really care anymore tbh

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously. Doubt anyone thinks he's having an easier time now.

But man, maybe I should just stop looking at any GRRM threads of this nature. I've mostly lost interest in even the books purely because it's been taking so long anyway and I feel like a fool following discussions about the lack of process for years to come.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing in this article that hasn't already been said a million times before. Slow news day I guess.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No shit son. It's all on you, buddy.

This is why I cant blame D&D too much for how things ended, for one, they never signed up to finish up the story for GRRM, and two, what chance did they have when the creator of the whole damn thing has no idea how to wrap it up either.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Whilst a lot of blame lies at GRRM's feet, absolutely so, the majority lies at D&D's. They cast out massive chunks of books 4 & 5 and produced their own incredibly abridged version of events. They weren't 'adapted' in the same way the first three books were. We still don't have TWoW to this day, so who's to say what time it would've bought them.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I firmly believe that the only ending we'll get is the TV one.

The man has been struggling for years, he doesn't have it in him anymore.

GoT books will remain unfinished, like Berserk.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if the show had kept to his ludicrous expectations for how long it would take to get through the book content (say what you like about the show as it actually was, but trying to string ADWD into 3 WHOLE SEASONS would have killed the whole thing dead), he'd still have been overtaken by the show long before he got any more books out.

His fate was sealed as soon as he signed away the rights, to be frank.
Whilst a lot of blame lies at GRRM's feet, absolutely so, the majority lies at D&D's. They cast out massive chunks of books 4 & 5 and produced their own incredibly abridged version of events. They weren't 'adapted' in the same way the first three books were. We still don't have TWoW to this day, so who's to say what time it would've bought them.
AFFC and ADWD are very different books to the first three, and faithful adaptations of them would have resulted in truly atrocious television.

Not saying what we got instead was great, but any half-decent dramatist would absolutely have cut out large swathes of those books.