• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This is just strange. But George Martin writing lore for an open world game, holy shit!

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'm all for a new Armored Core full of political intrigue. It being open world is quite the departure, but the series is now for having lots of differences between entries.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most unbelievable part about this for me is From's willingness to work with Bamco again after how DS2 was rushed and 3 was already in milking territory.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GRRM could certainly prop From's games from great to in contention for all time best but I highly doubt this.

An actual well written narrative with great characters.
wouldn't it be great if the chosen undead was conflicted about whether or not they should keep killing Gods or if they should instead marry in to a position of power?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The most unbelievable part about this for me is From's willingness to work with Bamco again after how DS2 was rushed and 3 was already in milking territory.
I mean...how much of this was because of NB? They were just the publisher of the series in the West. They may have simply signed a deal to make multiple games if they were successful. We don't know.

wBENDERw

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro mechanics/darksouls fashion and gear in the game of thrones, faceless assasins =)

i'm in!!!!

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Even though GRRM is a skilled novelist known for deep characterization and balancing lots of plot threads that stay ahead of the reader, it doesn't mean an ambitious writing style like that would make it to video games intact. And stories in video games are more effective when they're told visually and dynamically around and involving the player, anyway, not through tons of scripted narrative. The writing in From's games are already renown for that so I don't understand why bringing in a novelist, even one as iconic as GRRM, as lead writer would be considered necessary to begin with.

But that's assuming this story is real. Pretty sure we'll know how legit this is in a few days.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Oh F off, Martin!!

Imma meltdown right now.

Hey, Bruh... Finish your fn books!

But nah. Lemme write these comics, go on vacations, publicity tours, help write tv shows, and now video games.

I've been reading ASoIaF from the jump. They're my favorite series next to LotR, but I feel we gonna get a Wheel of Time situation. Another writer is going to have to finish his shit when his ass dies. Or worse, some Canterbury Tales.

He needs to pull a Stephen King after he got run over. Lock himself in a cabin and finish the damn things.

From is my favorite developer. This rumor of them coming together should be like chocolate and peanut butter to me. NO! I hope it's false. I don't need Martin's writer's block, procrastinating ass contaminating Fromsoft.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
GRRM seems like the type of old man who would abhor video game storytelling but I want this to be true so fingers crossed.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
The dude is bored with it. Sometimes you start a videogame and one day you decide... yeah, no more. I am not going to finish it.

Or just anything in life. He is sick of it.

You don't know what you're talking about and are peddling a conspiracy theory.

He's still actively writing in the universe. Fire & Blood, his newly released book, tells stories within Westeros' past, many of which are clearly modeled after ASOIAF's storylines — as if he were drafting how to play them out.

He still writes — and yes, finishes — a lot. ASOIAF entries are just incredibly intricate, and take a lot of time. Should they take as much time as he does? Nah, GRRM absolutely has his self-imposed handicaps and inefficiencies, but to say he's bored of it is absurd. It's just difficult.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
To me doesnt look interesting from that info... if true looks like a marketing move than anything else.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

He's still actively writing in the universe. Fire & Blood, his newly released book, tells stories within Westeros' past, many of which are clearly modeled after ASOIAF's storylines — as if he were drafting how to play them out.

He still writes — and yes, finishes — a lot. ASOIAF entries are just incredibly intricate, and take a lot of time. Should they take as much time as he does? Nah, GRRM absolutely has his self-imposed handicaps and inefficiencies, but to say he's bored of it is absurd. It's just difficult.
Yes, he has written and released a bunch of stuff since 2011.

And none of that stuff is a followup to ADWD. I definitely think GRRM has ran into major creative roadblocks for that storyline, because with stuff like TWOIAF, F&B and assorted short stories it feels like he's actively avoiding tackling the main books and would rather write about other stuff.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
If this is real, any possibility of it just being a straight-up licensed Game of Thrones game?

The only thing that would be out of lore with that world is a main hero who gains powers from other leaders somehow. And leaders that even have power to begin with, unless they're from Asshai or ancient Valyria or something...

Oct 26, 2017
UK

And none of that stuff is a followup to ADWD. I definitely think GRRM has ran into major creative roadblocks for that storyline, because with stuff like TWOIAF, F&B and assorted short stories it feels like he's actively avoiding tackling the main books and would rather write about other stuff.

This was clear in the last two books when instead of winding down to a conclusion he kept pulling new characters out his ass.

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM has a shelved outline/bible of a universe that just never got finished and part of him being the Lead ( not sole) writer would be to contribute said work.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This was clear in the last two books when instead of winding down to a conclusion he kept pulling new characters out his ass.

The Aegon plotline was planned from nearly the beginning. This is evident from the text. It wasn't something he'd just thought of.

As a writer, working on one project is not necessarily time that could have been efficiently spent working on another project. Sometimes you'll have inspiration for one thing and not another, and often working on that will give you inspiration for the other thing, which is why I brought up F&B's many similarities to mainline ASOIAF plots.

He may have ran into some mild roadblocks, but worked on F&B to workshop how to surmount them. Either way, he wasn't bored with ASOIAF; entries in it just take exponentially more time and effort than other works.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Holy christ. Just how big is From Software nowadays? It feels like that have grown into a behemoth capable of having up to 3-4 simultaneous games in development.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017

He might or might not be bored with it. But If he was....I would understand.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Would be absolutely insane. Of the the things in this rumour the open world part doesn't really stick.
A fromsoft open world? Just can't imagine it

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would be absolutely insane. Of the the things in this rumour the open world part doesn't really stick.
A fromsoft open world? Just can't imagine it
Sekiro introduces several things that fans never thought From would be equipped or eager to pursue. Things like a more direct narrative, heavier emphasis on dialogue and stealth to name a few. I think going open world next gen is one of the most plausible steps for them to take.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Sekiro introduces several things that fans never thought From would be equipped or eager to pursue. Things like a more direct narrative, heavier emphasis on dialogue and stealth to name a few. I think going open world next gen is one of the most plausible steps for them to take.
Sure it's not out of the question, but their games are technically quite messy, I can't imagine it being easy to translate that to an open world

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This sounds believable, if only because GRRM will do absolutely anything that is not finishing his books. I wouldn't be surprised if he announced he's putting together an expedition to Mars.

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised if he's a lead writer for the story of the whole game. More like he wrote a quick side character or optional mission... enough for Namco to slap his name all over the box and bump sales.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised GRRM would do this though. He seems to leap at opportunities to distract him from the ASoIaF books.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
BS

If not BS then I know my most anticipated game for the unforeseeable future.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised GRRM would do this though. He seems to leap at opportunities to distract him from the ASoIaF books.

No. No. NO ONE uses that abbreviation. Absolutely no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.