• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 23, 2017
When the first trailers dropped for TFA almost everyone was excited about seeing familiar location and vehicles from the SW universe again.

At that point in time JJ made the right decision.

Going backwards in order to go forwards was literally the mission statement for TFA. JJ said this repeatedly during interviews.

I think he did a great job imo.
Yeah, I mean, I get it. I was excited too and thought it was a decent movie anyway. I don't hate it or anything. I'm just ready for more new stuff.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ is #13 all time.

I believe at the time of RotS it was #12
Well, can't deny it did well at the BO regardless. 800m was a lot back then. The SW brand propelled it despite its flaws.

It should have done better though, financially and critically, if it had been as good as TLJ it would have.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
The blood on the storm trooper helmet, though...

I still mostly dig The Force Awakens. I just prefer The Last Jedi. Would be more interested to hear Lucas' take on that one. The only thing we have is...

" after the screening, he told director Rian Johnson it was "beautifully made." "

I mean, the degree to which TLJ capes similar stuff from the OT is equally as bad as ANH. Rey training with exiled Jedi Master on hidden planet. The RotJ throne room snatch and 1 for 1 shot of Rey riding up the elevator with Kylo. The B plot being about running away from the enemy, with a temporary stay on a pleasure city. The beginning Hoth segment similarities from Empire reversed to be at the end.

So yea, I don't see how "nothing new" criticism is something that only TFA is guilty of.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, the degree to which TLJ capes similar stuff from the OT is equally as bad as ANH. Rey training with exiled Jedi Master on hidden planet. The RotJ throne room snatch and 1 for 1 shot of Rey riding up the elevator with Kylo. The B plot being about running away from the enemy, with a temporary stay on a pleasure city. The beginning Hoth segment similarities from Empire reversed to be at the end.

So yea, I don't see how "nothing new" criticism is something that only TFA is guilty of.

so people can no longer ride elevators?
lol

Oct 28, 2017
Screen time, not actual time. We have an unspecified amount of time from the Falcon leaving Hoth and limping to Bespin. Possibly weeks. In TLJ it was 2-3 days max from end of TFA to the end of TLJ.

Couldn't have been long as the falcon reached Bespin without a functioning hyperdrive. Unless you're arguing the Falcon traveled to another solar system in mere weeks on sub light speeds?

Ruh roh plot hole! ESB ruined

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't have been long as the falcon reached Bespin without a functioning hyperdrive. Unless you're arguing the Falcon traveled to another solar system in mere weeks?

There are a couple of sources that the Falcon had a reserve hyperdrive capable of short jumps. Otherwise Bespin would have to be in the Hoth system (it isn't) because sub light speeds would make that trip impossible.

So most likely is numerous small jumps while avoiding Imperial systems and outposts taking weeks to get to Bespin.

Oct 28, 2017
There are a couple of sources that the Falcon had a reserve hyperdrive capable of short jumps. Otherwise Bespin would have to be in the Hoth system (it isn't) because sub light speeds would make that trip impossible.

So most likely is numerous small jumps while avoiding Imperial systems and outposts taking weeks to get to Bespin.

Oh, so head cannon to explain away a plot hole

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so head cannon to explain away a plot hole

It comes from official ship breakdowns, so it is a cannon explanation. And I did say unspecified time, with Leia asking to the effect of "how long has it been." Not to mention the different states of Luke during training showing a longer passage of time.

In TLJ there are concrete timelines that are only a couple days.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And it said _____________?

Thematically, that characters can evolve via failure.

Metaphorically, that a franchises don't have to play it safe.

I disagree that TLJ is the only Star Wars movie with something to say (TFA's depiction of neo-Nazism and religious radicalism is very topical, and the prequels were very on the nose with their political analogies of the war on terror), but TLJ sure does sing what it wants to say.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Toxic Masculinity(Poe), learn from your failures (Luke), Finding your place in the world (Rey, Finn), pacifism, never meet your heroes etc.

The themes are not that hard to grasp.

You might not like how the movie executed on those themes, but the movie DID have something to say.
Didn't the other movies say the same thing at various points?

Han Solo is quintessential toxic masculinity in the first movie (and much of the latter ones) until he learns to put his ego and machismo aside for a great cause.
Learning from your failures is Luke's arc throughout ESB and ROTJ.
That branches into Luke's pacifism against his father, discarding his lightsaber.
So much of the PT is Anakin struggling to find acceptance and belong in a world where he's a Jedi but the Jedi forbid his marriage to Padme.
The entire counsel of Jedi in the PT are the "heroes" you finally get to know, and they SUCK. Their ineptitude and pride lead to their downfall.

So... yeah, we got those messages before.

Oct 28, 2017

I mean, if it had a reserve hyperdrive capable of short jumps why wasn't it ever used in the movie escape the Imperial fleet? Come on, now

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

For sure. I still really like TLJ, though. :)

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I really liked that they nailed the look and aesthetics of the original trilogy with TFA, but yeah... it's not that interesting of a movie as far as plot and characters go. And that's an issue that becomes even bigger when you consider that there are two more movies that have to build off of what it sets up...

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh? The Empire can track short jumps? What?

A large fleet can cover a smaller spread of systems? Or you know the recon droids that were spread out to locate the Hoth base were still out there? They didn't explain the exact amount of time for reason of being ambiguous, but it did say that it was a longer passage of time.

Either way my original point is still salient, there is a longer unspecified time on Degobah, vs the the two days in TLJ.

Oct 28, 2017
Crait isn't Hoth despite the use of Walkers and the fight happening across a flat plain.

Hoth was a well armed and reinforced Rebel Alliance defending against a surprise invasion and a planet wide evacuation.

Crait was the Resistance on its very last legs fighting in a desperate last stand for mere SURVIVAL.

The contexts are totally different despite some surface visual similarities

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yes probably. A lot of kids probably prefer TFA over ANH because it looks more modern but basically gets the same type of story.

They actually did use big parts of Arndt script, in fact even Episode IX from what I understand has elements from the Arndt draft, I guess Lucas's sour they didn't use everything, but I'm also betting there was a shit-ton of Crystal Skull quality bad ideas in there.

Given the time restraints and given that JJ Abrams eventually said yes ... I can't say honestly I would have done any differently in Disney's situation if they treatment Lucas gave them indeed had a bunch of weird or just plain dumb ideas in it.

You cannot pay $4 billion for anything and just let it sit there unused while you take years to figure out what you're doing. In an ideal world yes, but realistically you're gonna have shareholders breathing down your neck to get going, they had to delay 6 months to get JJ and Kennedy probably had to lobby hard to get them to slow down to even that.

Do kids prefer TFA? Wasn't there that article recently that said kids these days aren't flocking to new Star Wars as readily as say, the MCU movies, or as readily as kids flocked to prequel stuff way back? That wouldn't surprise me since the sequel trilogy is heavily reliant on nostalgia, far more than the prequels were.

And I didn't say Disney should've used everything from Lucas' scripts. I just wish they hadn't thrown out everything and made a slightly worse version of ANH.

Oct 28, 2017
A large fleet can cover a smaller spread of systems? Or you know the recon droids that were spread out to locate the Hoth base were still out there? They didn't explain the exact amount of time for reason of being ambiguous, but it did say that it was a longer passage of time.

Either way my original point is still salient, there is a longer unspecified time on Degobah, vs the the two days in TLJ.

I wasn't arguing the point about TLJ. That's true. I still think of the Falcon could make multiple short jumps they probably had a better chance of escaping doing that than navigating a dangerous asteroid field or hiding in plain site on a star destroyer. After the fact explanation just feels like plugging up a plot hole. I don't even care about the plot hole as it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the movie in any way. I just find it amusing that we have people so quick to point out plot holes in the ST but can't concede to where they exist in their beloved OT

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do kids prefer TFA? Wasn't there that article recently that said kids these days aren't flocking to new Star Wars as readily as say, the MCU movies, or as readily as kids flocked to prequel stuff way back? That wouldn't surprise me since the sequel trilogy is heavily reliant on nostalgia, far more than the prequels were.

And I didn't say Disney should've used everything from Lucas' scripts. I just wish they hadn't thrown out everything and made a slightly worse version of ANH.

what does the MCU has to do with kids preferring TFA instead of ANH?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
what does the MCU has to do with kids preferring TFA instead of ANH?

I'm just saying new Star Wars isn't the monolithic franchise old Star Wars was in its time. It might not shine is brightly decades down the line partly because of this, and partly because of how much it relies on nostalgia.

That also brings up the question of how well ANH does or doesn't hold up. You see videos of all the time of both kids and adults watching it for the first time and still being impressed as recently as this year.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't arguing the point about TLJ. That's true. I still think of the Falcon could make multiple short jumps they probably had a better chance of escaping doing that than navigating a dangerous asteroid field or hiding in plain site on a star destroyer. After the fact explanation just feels like plugging up a plot hole. I don't even care about the plot hole as it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the movie in any way. I just find it amusing that we have people so quick to point out plot holes in the ST but can't concede to where they exist in their beloved OT

Is it really a plot hole? The ambiguity of time is done deliberately to avoid the pedantry of time and training. The movie lays out Luke got some training but not enough on Degobah. Without defining the specific amount there isn't the question of "Luke just needed to stay 'X' more days to beat Vader (something TLJ fell into). Leaving out the concrete amount of time that passes and where those gaps occur was deliberate, and not a mistake in the story construction.

Oct 28, 2017
Is it really a plot hole? The ambiguity of time is done deliberately to avoid the pedantry of time and training. The movie lays out Luke got some training but not enough on Degobah. Without defining the specific amount there isn't the question of "Luke just needed to stay 'X' more days to beat Vader (something TLJ fell into). Leaving out the concrete amount of time that passes and where those gaps occur was deliberate, and not a mistake in the story construction.

It's a plot hole because it would have taken the falcon like 1100 years to get there at sub light speeds lol

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All these Star Wars fans in this thread hating the man who came up with everything you guys love lmao.

Lucas' absence will always be felt. New movies fail to capture the Star Wars magic and that's a fact. But hey if you like watching dumb scenes like Hux being treated like a joke by another irrelevant character then you guys do you.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
You're not helping yourself here.

- Kylo Ren was trying to get Rey to join him by lying to her. Since TFA he has wanted to bring back the lifestyle of his grandfather. Straight continuation of TFA.

- Poe and his crew were supposedly to follow orders. Period. They don't need to know the plan, and it is irrelevant in a topic of continuing from TFA.

- Luke took his job seriously and failed, he is human. This is understandable. It is part of the movie's theme of failure. Also, this was straight from Lucas.

- The hacker subplot is part of the movie's theme of failure and Finn's path to making his own decisions and face his issues directly. Straight continuation of TFA.

- Rey spent half the movie's runtime training. That's more than Luke and Yoda in ESB.

- The dice is important to Leia because it reminds her of Han. If you want to criticize this part, criticize the Solo movie for making it less special.

- Movie's are better with humor. So Johnson isn't funny. Sue him. Humor is still a continuation of TFA.

You have not mentioned any contradictions, you are just upset that you didn't like the movie.

- Ok got that one.

-Really? Why wouldn't the commander let everyone know what was going on in such a tense, life-threatening situation? Really? Really? Your first bullet point made sense but this one does not.

-Again, Luke has been through so much in the past films and this just completely destroyed him and made him abandon everything? Nah, doesn't make sense for Luke's journey and who he was. And your bringing up Lucas story telling to help your argument? Really bro/brodette?

- Ok

- So you are saying the product placement in order to set up the Solo film isn't completely stupid and just Disney dumb meddling?

- humor is fine when it is warranted and injected where it needs to be. so, yeah, i will sue him - it ruined the scene and the sense of urgency. it is like you are excusing bad writing because i am picking on his terrible joke insertions?

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
That isn't the movie contradicting itself. That's the character contradicting itself and it fits with who Kylo Ren is. Kylo is a sad and embarrassing shell of a human. The entire point is that he talks about throwing away the past but isn't able to.

Luke Skywalker sucks.

The last time we saw him, he let his rage get the best of him and was almost murdered until his father saved his life and sacrificed himself. The original trilogy did not end with Luke being a matured man who can handle incredibly emotional moments well.

He blamed himself for Kylo Ren, which makes complete sense, and went into seclusion because he thought he was hurting people he loved.

I specifically replied to your comment about it "contradicting" itself and "betraying" The Force Awakens. You gave like one example, which was wrong, and then went into a stereotypical rant where you just listed things you didn't like in the movie.

I also said in my reply post that contradiction was the wrong word. so it was wrong for me to use the word contradiction but i clarified that in my reply post, which i guess you didn't read thoroughly because you wrote me off as a ranting whiner - which isn't far off lol.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
George Lucas created Star Wars and kept it alive, relevant, and profitable for 30+ years yet doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Meanwhile, Disney within 4 years of taking ownership released SW first ever bomb. I'll remind you that even the animated Clone Wars movie made back its budget many times. But please, tell me more how Lucas is a coo, coo old man who doesn't know what he's talking about.

If anyone else led Star Wars the IP would've died out long ago.