• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
FINE!! I buy the damn game! everyone who owns it has been hyping the shit out of it! LOL
tenor.gif

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still working my way through 13 Sentinels, but in my opinion Odin Sphere already showed this! I would already have called it one of my favorite video games stories, maybe even my #1 favorite.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I've always loved VW games, I think the only one I never played was Princess Crown, but still 13 Sentinels blew me away. It's just an astonishingly unique storytelling experience and you understand immediately when it's over why a game like this will likely never be made again. It's hard to even understand how this one was made and I hope that everyone who loves games gets a chance to experience it.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Playing this game is one of my favorite gaming experiences this generation for sure. I bought a ton of snacks and just hunkered down and beat it in 2 days and some change. Such a great game. I'd kill for this style of game to be more common.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Sometimes this forum can be known to overhype. I still remember this forum hyping up Trails of Cold Steel.

I did some research and read a bunch of reviews, read stuff on Reddit and Amazon and other outlets.

I don't think it's confined to Era. That being said I'll definitely dive into this one soon, right after I get that Crash 4 platinum.

Also I just realized Hitoshi Sakimoto composed the music?? Yessssss. I loved his work in FFXII and FF Tactics.

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I dunno if I can trust Era. Everybody said Days Gone was shit. I bought it this week and it's fantastic.
Not sure if it's fare to say this, I'd shit on Days Gone every chance I had just based on what I've seen from its dialogues and it being another post apocalyptic zombie shooter, but generally opinions of those who can get over that and buy the game seems mostly positive on Era!

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is news to me, what's with Atlus and their obsession with Medieval Fantasy lately?
Kamitami had an artwork back in 2014 (New Year) that teases his plans (MENU) .. funny enough he put 13 sentinels to be release on (1.5g) which indicates 2015 release and the RPG (1.6g) 2016 which we all know what happened after lmao

also (Original Style) (1.4g) which is likely a tease for Odin Sphere which planned back at 2014

sadly the tease ends at RPG

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Also I just realized Hitoshi Sakimoto composed the music?? Yessssss. I loved his work in FFXII and FF Tactics.
Oh, you're in for a treat in that regard. This game's soundtrack by Sakimoto and Basiscape is one of the best of the entire generation, for sure. I'm still listening to it daily while working, driving, etc. It's a 10/10 soundtrack.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Does the story get any easier to understand? I got 2 hours in and already felt myself losing some of the detail because of so much going on.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Does the story get any easier to understand? I got 2 hours in and already felt myself losing some of the detail because of so much going on.
It'll definitely make your synapses fire the whole way through trying to figure things out, but things do get clearer as you go. Just as the characters themselves are slowly piecing things together as they are exposed to new information, so too is the player. And don't forget to check out the Analysis section from time to time. It's basically an in-game wiki that updates itself as you go along. I'm talking about the Mystery Files section of Analysis in particular.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
I know one guy who named his child oswald, because he was so in love with odin sphere.
I dislike the graphics and the visual novel-like gameplay of this new game and there was also next to no coverage after the Japanese release. Atm i dont have the money to buy this, but i will, once this game hit below 20€

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Easily GOTY for me. Visual, audio, and how they deliver the twist is :chefkiss
Preach!

I have to personally give TLOU2 the top spot for the year just due to its sheer technical and artistic prowess across the board, but 13 Sentinels is my runner-up and arguably the most uniquely special game of the year.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Nearing the end of this game and like it a lot. Want to try another Vanillaware game next but I feel like I'll just be disappointed. Their other games just look so different gameplay/presentation wise. Not sure how true it is but the one thing I've consistently heard about Vanillaware before this game is that their games are beautiful but repetitive.

Amy suggestions for a Vanillaware game to try?

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nearing the end of this game and like it a lot. Want to try another Vanillaware game next but I feel like I'll just be disappointed. Their other games just look so different gameplay/presentation wise. Not sure how true it is but the one thing I've consistently heard about Vanillaware before this game is that their games are beautiful but repetitive.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is where my vote goes.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

Odin Sphere is the obvious choice here, though it definitely gets repetitive itself. It actually has a similar story going on where each of the characters only get part of the story - but the way it's handled isn't the best. You'll be doing the same content like 5+ times.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Once you get out of the prologue the game will introduce an Analysis tab that includes an event viewer for each character and codex of files detailing current information on characters, locations, and concepts. It's a very nice set of tools to help you put new information into context or to catch you up if you haven't played for a while.

May 30, 2018
This and the 13 Sentinels is the GOTY thread finally pushed me to play it, and I have to say, this game was underhyped

Forget GOTY, this thing was GOTG, or at least top 5 PS4 game I've ever played. Completely unique experience. Never played a game that made you theorize and wonder just wtf is going on to like this. Most big narrative driven games are completely put to shame by this game. If the director ever makes something similar or at least plot driven I'm in for sure.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
ScOULaris Necro bump just to say you were right. What a phenomenal game.
This and the 13 Sentinels is the GOTY thread finally pushed me to play it, and I have to say, this game was underhyped

Forget GOTY, this thing was GOTG, or at least top 5 PS4 game I've ever played. Completely unique experience. Never played a game that made you theorize and wonder just wtf is going on to like this. Most big narrative driven games are completely put to shame by this game. If the director ever makes something similar or at least plot driven I'm in for sure.
Yes! Keep these impressions coming!

It makes me very happy to see people giving this game a chance.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Almost done with it and there is no question OP is right. The wiring in this game and the way the narrative unfolds is a genuine marvel

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
It dragged quite a bit early on as a lot of the stories felt incomprehensible or repetitive, then introduced a ton of things I thought would never be able to be paid off, and yet somehow everything wrapped up and made perfect sense. Figuring out how to tell this story in a completely disjointed way yet still make sense regardless of how and when people interact with each chapter must've been a nightmare.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Sega should buy Vanillaware just so George Kamitani has a larger budget for his games. Almost everything he's been publishing has been under Sega/Atlus anyway.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sega should buy Vanillaware just so George Kamitani has a larger budget for his games. Almost everything he's been publishing has been under Sega/Atlus anyway.
Well afaik this wasnt supposed to go to sega ...

As vanillaware already in talks for this with another company (rumored to be bandai namco) until atlus/sega and him reviewed the contract for dragons crown that they have the first refusal for all of vanillawares future project

Safe to say as long as atlus/sega refuses it he is stuck with them

Next is a JRPG anyway doubt atlus/sega would refuse it as its their forte

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly most of the OST isn't even Sakimoto. The music is however fantastic. Especially the amino acid tracks. Leucine is godly.