• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Problem is Carlin bit was obviously targetting the whole political spectrum as a corrupt system, not just the Republicans. You can agree or not, and I think some democrats are challenging that system while Republicans revel in it, but that's really not his point. He's saying Americans don't have a choice because polititians are not the ones in control, they're just puppets.
Carlin was obviously leaning left, but had zero trust and confidence in the polititians being a force for progress.

So I'm not sure I feel confortable seeing this broad criticisim being twisted to make it appear as being specifically anti-republican or anti-Trump.

But that's just my two cents.

Edit: it's pretty obvious that if he was alive he would tear Trump a new asshole, but sadly we're never gonna have that.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is Carlin bit was obviously targetting the whole political spectrum as a corrupt system, not just the Republicans. You can agree or not, and I think some democrats are challenging thatl system while Republicans revel in it, but that's really not his point. He's saying Americans don't have a choice because polititians are not the ones in control, they're just puppets.

So I'm not sure I feel confortable seeing this broad criticisim being twisted to make it appear anti-trump or anti-republican.

But that's just my two cents

Pretty much, its ignoring the point of it just to do Trump bad.

Krassenstein missing as usual

krassenstein.PNG

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Carlin's rants on religion and politics were absolutely the greatest. Miss that man.

It's true that Carlin was actually cynical about all politics on the spectrum; and to be honest, it was sometimes to the point of iconoclastic foolishness.

And Carlin's "both sides" shit, while maybe valid in a sense of corporate lobbying and money, has been proven a toxic mindset when one side are literal nazis and fascists and the other side... aren't.

However it is ironic that a lot of Trump supporters think Carlin is one of "their" people because he bitched about political correctness a lot. When in reality Carlin would have been at the bleeding edge of ripping Trump and MAGAworld to shreds.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Problem is Carlin bit was obviously targetting the whole political spectrum as a corrupt system, not just the Republicans. You can agree or not, and I think some democrats are challenging that system while Republicans revel in it, but that's really not his point. He's saying Americans don't have a choice because polititians are not the ones in control, they're just puppets.
Carlin was obviously leaning left, but had zero trust and confidence in the polititians being a force for progress.

So I'm not sure I feel confortable seeing this broad criticisim being twisted to make it appear as being specifically anti-republican or anti-Trump.

Edit: it's pretty obvious that if he was alive he would tear Trump a new asshole, but sadly we're never gonna have that.
I totally agree with this. Was about to post pretty much the exact same thing.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
At the end of the day Mr. Conductor would probably still be pissed that he's being co-opted for this bullshit by other political entities trying to slam people.

There's nothing in that speech that separates left from right. It's a culture war of the ruling class vs everyone else and the Democrats that are in power are simply trying harder to be palatable to the masses and educated, but ol' Georgie wouldn't stand for it anyways. But hey, he's dead, so fuck him right? Who cares what he would think?

Just wait for my ad using Robin Williams to try to pitch how fantastic my Aladdin reboot mini-series would be.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
From what I can tell, Carlin made that rant in 2005, at the height of Bush's fuckery and an EXTREMELY weak-sauce push back by congressional democrats to stop that fuckery. He earned the right to bitch at both sides IMO. Democrats were dumb as shit back then too; republicans didn't have a monopoly on it.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
People are seriously criticizing Carlin of "both sides" when the nominee for the democrats party is Joe motherfucking Biden? I think os point is sound, even from beyond the grave.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, the ad is misdirected. It's just "Trump sucks" which, while true, doesn't reflect the core of the argument. The fact that no Democratic representatives were shown when he criticized politicians, the fact that only Fox News was shown when he criticized the media... it's willfully ignorant. A more honest cut would have included those elements. A more honest cut would have seen this as an opportunity to elevate the public by highlighting their collective power as direct actors. But it only glosses over that point in favor of telling us for the umpteenth time that the president is stupid.

Carlin is right, but whoever cut the video isn't quite getting it.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
That bit by Carlin is still on point.

He's 100% correct in that it's the system as a whole that's fucked up. The GOP aren't the only ones holding a monopoly on that.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Carlin never really went after politicians. He saw them as tools and puppets that serve the interest of the ownership class. It's crazy how much is spent on lobbying US politicians each year by the big business interest. People talk about how corrupt Wall Street is (respectfully so), but no one bats an eye when it comes to K street and the level of bribing/gifting that goes on over there.

Oct 25, 2017
Even without the whole context Carlin's words tell a different story than the editor of this video is trying to tell.
90% of both conservatives and liberals who keep quoting Carlin would hate him if he was still around to comment on the current world.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
From what I can tell, Carlin made that rant in 2005, at the height of Bush's fuckery and an EXTREMELY weak-sauce push back by congressional democrats to stop that fuckery. He earned the right to bitch at both sides IMO. Democrats were dumb as shit back then too; republicans didn't have a monopoly on it.

More like Bush sr. era and the Gulf War.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
Carlin never really went after politicians. He saw them as tools and puppets that serve the interest of the ownership class. It's crazy how much is spent on lobbying US politicians each year by the big business interest. People talk about how corrupt Wall Street is (respectfully so), but no one bats an eye when it comes to K street and the level of bribing/gifting that goes on over there.
He went after the Reagan administration pretty hard on What am I Doing in New Jersey?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
love to see liberal faces when they find out hes talking about establishment dems too

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
That rant is nondescript enough that it could just as well have been co-opted by the right and replace Fox footage with CNN.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

While democrats as a party may be "pushing back" against some of those systems, they are also *largely* complicit, and still benefit greatly from those very same systems.

Carlins words still ring true, even if the ad frames them in a different light.

Also he would fucking HATE this ad.

Last edited:

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That rant is nondescript enough that it could just as well have been co-opted by the right and replace Fox footage with CNN.

Yes...I was thinking if they wanted to make this appealing to everyone, they should have included every politician. The joke is on all of us. And this isn't a "both sides" post. The democratic leaders don't give a fuck about us either.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same dangerous line of thinking that led to the rise of QAnon. Don't promote this.

While it may be true, this is the message that lead to Trump getting votes in the first place (i.e. fake news, drain the swamp).

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
I wish they did his bit on politicians.
Maybe it's not the politicians that suck, maybe it's the public. The public sucks, fuck hope.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Even without the whole context Carlin's words tell a different story than the editor of this video is trying to tell.
90% of both conservatives and liberals who keep quoting Carlin would hate him if he was still around to comment on the current world.
Man, no they wouldn't. Carlin was one of the most popular and mainstream comedians for like 50 years. The same way Chapelle came.back and got loved by everyone with a fond memory of the Chappelle Show would be the same reception Carlin would get if he was alive to pump out a special in 2020.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
This would make George Carlin spin in his grave, he'd be sick being used by any campaign to make a political point even if the context this one exists in is on point.

...but whatever, 2020 is hellworld anyway, who cares lol.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
You can play that audio to any red hat wearing Trumpist and they will agree with everything said only pointing the finger towards liberals, Soros and Bill Gates.

Dec 23, 2017
He was great. To me that's what a true comedian should do. Not only make you laugh but make you think and use the platform to really help teach. Can watch his stuff all day.