• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
This is pretty awesome. Congrats to the team at Geofront for getting this opportunity!

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Uhh, if they aren't changing up the visuals (aka if it's not a new remake version) and the base translation is already done. Where the heck are the 2022/2023 release dates coming from? Shouldn't these be out in like 6 months and 9 months respectively?

Also I think this is a missed opportunity for Falcom to remake Zero/Azure in full 3d in the Hajimari engine.

Feb 5, 2018
Holy crap, I was entirely wrong about this! I never thought they would partner! Crazy the releases are so far though, my guess is that Falcom/NISA intends to have them comb over some stuff, but I wonder how that could take over a year to sort out.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
[URL
E4tGjRSWYAMAeWZ
Oof, that's a fan translation all right.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, if they aren't changing up the visuals (aka if it's not a new remake version) and the base translation is already done. Where the heck are the 2022/2023 release dates coming from? Shouldn't these be out in like 6 months and 9 months respectively?

Also I think this is a missed opportunity for Falcom to remake Zero/Azure in full 3d in the Hajimari engine.
console ports is my guess, the translation was done for the pc version, though shocked we dont get the pc version early next year, but I guess they want it released at the same time as the console port.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I just flipped out when I saw these games were finally, officially coming west. And seeing it's the actual Geofront translations is a legitimate "McMahan falls out of chair.gif" moment for me.

Unbelievable.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's super awesome for Geofront, must be a dream come true. They deserve it.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Already played both with PSP translation. Will support this release dayone on switch but i am salty reverie Is that fare away and i really Hope nisa Will tackle kuro meanwhile

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
console ports is my guess, the translation was done for the pc version, though shocked we dont get the pc version early next year, but I guess they want it released at the same time as the console port.

NISA does their own ports when it comes to Falcom games. Meaning they need to port the game to Steam and Switch if they're using the Kai versions.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the timeframe is probably for the PS4 and Switch ports. It's a long wait but that's how it goes.

This is a series I've always wanted to start (and I've played the intro to Sky and about 15-20 hours of Cold Steel 1), so maybe I'll go with Zero when it hits. Maybe by the time that and Azure are out (and I finish them), I'll be able to play Sky 1-3 on a console.

(And maybe the digital version of Cold Steel 1 on PS4 will finally have a sale by then)
It's been on sale at least twice this year and I'm sure it will be again soon. Cold steel 2,3 and 4 are on sale right now

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, and I am such an idiot and didn't download the Geofront patch as a reserve. Now I can wait another 100 years before I play CS III. It's certainly becoming one of the worst purchases I ever made, will be worth 2 € once I manage to play Azure...

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
So just confirming but there was no announcement at all today of Hajimari getting a localization correct?

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Fuck, and I am such an idiot and didn't download the Geofront patch as a reserve. Now I can wait another 100 years before I play CS III. It's certainly becoming one of the worst purchases I ever made, will be worth 2 € once I manage to play Azure...
I feel your pain. I didn't download the Azure patch because I was almost done with Zero but I'm not waiting until 2023 for fucks sake. I'll just watch a Let's Play. CS III & CS IV have been sitting in my closet for long enough.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Incredible. Happy for everyone involved.

Morrigan
I think there's a difference between very specific cultural references or memes and common slang. Japanese games themselves are going to be products of their time.

Checking jobs can take longer than the initial translation, especially if there's a ton of cross referencing for things like terminology checks, etc.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Very happy for the Geofront guys that their work got acknowledged rather than thrown in the dumpster. They deserved this.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
What do the Kai versions add? All I know is Towa makes an appearance at the trade conference in Azure.

just going off memory of things i've heard apparently
Gideon makes an appearance as basically just a renamed enemy in a trade conference fight and there's some sort of Juna cameo don't really know specifically what

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Agreed. It's just a little depressing that they chose not to dub it because the Kai versions actually voice a lot of the dialogue. Really hoping it's not a case of "we gotta cut cost cuz a lot of people already played the fan translation"

Meanwhile they're going out of their way to dub Nayuta.

The Kai versions are why they aren't dubbing them, because it would make the games expensive to localize and probably push everything another 6ish months. Nayuta is like 1/5th the script of Zero/Azure. Also "a lot of people" did not play Zero/Azure on pc with the geofront patch. The die hards did, but there are a ton of people who will experience these games for the first time when they drop on ps4/switch in 2022-2023

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
The Kai versions are why they aren't dubbing them, because it would make the games expensive to localize and probably push everything another 6ish months. Nayuta is like 1/5th the script of Zero/Azure. Also "a lot of people" did not play Zero/Azure on pc with the geofront patch. The die hards did, but there are a ton of people who will experience these games for the first time when they drop on ps4/switch in 2022-2023

I'd be ok with the extra wait, but understand about the expense. Considering I'm guessing these won't make a whole lot of money (but what do I know).

Still disappointing. It's going to be a bit jarring going from playing TitS trilogy voiced, first two Cold Steel games voiced, and then silence for both Zero and Azure. At least I'm assuming they will allow us to turn off the Japanese voices (which is what I would prefer to do). But even still, a bit jarring for no voices.

That said, just glad we are getting them.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
The "bruh" line is totally in character and appropriate to the setting, which is something like fantasy Hong Kong circa 1990.

Working Designs would have localized it as "such big, very statue", and maybe thrown in something about Kanye.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
The Geofronts translation is amazing! They clearly put so much love and care into it. I'm happy for them 🙏

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
I'm halfway through Zero right now, and for the most part, the loc sounds natural, which is all I can really ask for as a reader/player. It's clear to me that the team has a voice for all the major and minor characters, and they are writing for them while translating the intent of the text.

They certainly aren't going for a more literal translation, because if they were, it would sound stiff and unnatural, as we've seen far too many times in even professional contexts.

So kudos to Geofront, here's hoping you are all credited (and paid!) for your work.