• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
geoff is the face of the awards, so he's going to get the brunt of criticism directed at him, rightful or otherwise

if it were an issue he could just stop doing it since it's not like he doesn't have anything else going on

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They gave awards to a company infamous for crunch and harming devs. I think that's a valid critique.

That is very, very overwhelmingly NOT what people criticize Geoff or the TGAs for...

But even still you are perfectly proving the point of the OP by just taking a huge systemic issue and projecting it onto one man.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's just all the entitled gamers that do this really. A lot of gamers are just obnoxious and selfish. They want all their dreams to come true every time there's an awards show and it's simply unrealistic. Geoff does a fantastic job organizing everything and deserves all the props. I think people take his work for granted.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
He is a good host who clearly likes video games a lot and has done a lot in the industry. I like him and am glad he is in the space; that being said, the ribbing he gets is gentle at worst, haha.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I'm sure Geoff puts in a lot of effort into what he does for The Game Awards.

That doesn't make said show immune from criticism.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Every year its the same thing " too long" , "boring" etc etc

I think the award show have come a long way from the cringy spike awards, remember those?
Sure the show isnt perfect, but you can see the passion the man has for videogames and the work it goes for doing this.

For better or worse he kinda unites all the companies in one event and try to bring a positive vibe .

Everyone last night was "WHERE IS ELDEN RING??"
Do you really think he can control that? Of course he would love to have a bomb like that on stage, and others , yet, the show still provided some great games but some people only focus on what they want.

Game awards disapointing? What about e3? Those big hype events of microsoft and sony that are usually underwhelming? And those really can control what they want to show and most of the times they cant deliver , now imagine Geoff that is a simple jornalist.

I had a great time last night , we just take everything for granted these days.

Having met him in real life randomly, he is a super nice dude that is passonate about games. I had a PlayStation shirt on and was waiting around and he walked up and started talking about games for around 10 minutes then we parted ways.

He has created an area that typically revolved around a quick website blog/video and turned it into a medium to push gaming forward. You don't have to enjoy it but he is pushing the medium into new spaces and conversations.

Outside of a gaming website bubble, if you causally checked out GOTY section, Last of Us II is recognizable to people that casually play, but Hades definetly is not and people can question, "What is this?" and "Why is it in the same conversation as a game I know"

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
My only real critique of Geoff was him trying to grab the reins of the anti-E3 movement and make the summer showcase schedule his own thing.

It was such an unnecessary attempt at a power grab that involved little more than him setting up a dumb webpage with a schedule and links and then tweeting about events. And on top of that the entire concept of "Non-E3" as this amorphous let-publishers-do-their-own-thing was a minor disaster in which most events came-and-went with far less notice than they got during standard E3s. He was just so smug about the whole thing.

That said, I hope someone is able to go to Sony/MS/Ubi/EA/Devolver/Nintendo next year and get them on the same page. In my heart-of-hearts, I'm certain there's a great opportunity to put together an 8-hour schedule of back-to-back shows that take place on a Saturday, and allow all of the blogs and Youtube channels to host their own events and just generally settle in for a really big blowout event that draws everyone's attention. If Geoff wants to be that guy, I would welcome it.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just because I criticize something doesn't mean I have no respect for it. The Game Awards are definitely too long and I am a greedy little piggy who treats every single event as an opportunity to learn more about Elden Ring whether it makes sense to or not, but I have plenty of respect and admiration for Geoff Keighley for pulling this show off. I think Keighley has a palpable passion for video games. No hate from me, despite my criticism of the show.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
Too be honest, all award shows kind of suck but unlike say the oscars we do get new game reveals and personally I feel like this show really works in the context of getting together with your friends and having something to talk through for a few hours with hopefully some game announcements or cool trailers.

For the developers that win, I think it is just a feel good moment for them and their team. You could see it from the "Among Us" devs, and those are the moments I feel thankful for from this show. Expecting anything more than that is unrealistic. The Oscars, Golden Globes, Emmys, Grammys, etc have all had varying degrees of people calling it pointless. It's just what you can take out of the show and whether it was worth it for you. I'd never watch this alone, but a watch along for me was interesting enough

OP
OP

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Saying the show is too long is a hit on Geoff? Cause i feel its too long too, its poorly paced, you have a three hour award ceremony that still manages to tell more than half of the awards on the preshow one after the other. I'm not personally attacking Geoff Keighley here, just saying my opinion about the format of the awards. How is this a "hit"?
Maybe thats the reason they re presented in the pre shows?

Award shows are long no matter how you put it, you can tell he doesnt have the funds to do it so he needs all the marketing he does.

You sure can critize the duration of it but if you understand the reason you dont need to mention it i think.

But people would complain anyway even if it was short, something in the ways of:" Thats it?"

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
They gave awards to a company infamous for crunch and harming devs. I think that's a valid critique.

Cancel all awards for AAA games then cause GTA, RDR2, etc all go through this.
I swear I don't remember so much salt when RDR2 was winning those awards.

Blaming award shows is not going to solve this issue.
It needs to be addressed. Things need to change, but let's direct all that energy to where it should. Imagine you working on a game for half a decade, a game that excels at almost everything and for nothing in the end. Only to have people shitting on it. That's awful too.

Unions need to happen tbh. Or something that protects developers.

Officer K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I really liked yesterday's show. They showed off some really cool lookin' indies and Back 4 Blood looks like an awesome co-op game. There will be always the people who complain instead of trying to enjoy the ride, couldn't care less about these people. The audience who tuned in for new cool games got exactly that.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Maybe thats the reason they re presented in the pre shows?

Award shows are long no matter how you put it, you can tell he doesnt have the funds to do it so he needs all the marketing he does.

You sure can critize the duration of it but if you understand the reason you dont need to mention it i think.

But people would complain anyway even if it was short, something in the ways of:" Thats it?"
I dunno, maybe don't call it The Game *Awards* if you're going to relegate them to less than even a support billing.

People can also understsand the reasons for something and still disagree with the implementation in a reasonable way.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Ol' Geoff has done a lot to elevate the respectability of the gaming industry (those who think the current awards are bad probably never saw the Spike Awards...we've come a long way) and he's signal boosted a lot of talented creators. At the same time, he's very easily and obviously swayed by any attention from devs he likes and is sometimes too willing to play ball with big publishers. He's a positive force overall, but ultimately, a human with virtues and faults just like anyone else.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
It's a show with a weird set of priorities. They want to run an awards show rewarding creative achievement and critical success, but dedicate more time and emphasis on reveals of new games that haven't 'put in the work' yet. Imagine winning an award for your game and getting less air time for your congrats than some CG trailer for a game that has nothing made yet.

It just wants to be too many things, despite not being that short of a show at like 3 hours. As the host, Keighley is in a tough spot where the show extending itself this way means he has more opportunities to disappoint someone.

This year's particularly gave me the feeling that as a presenter, he had to shunt everything along without much of a moment to pause. Every trailer ended with "And that was <game name>, okay moving on", like we're at a lunch line.

It gives off a pretty cynical feeling that they had a list of X amount of partnership agreements to get through and a strict time limit. I don't know how people read this as 'passion for games'. I appreciate trying to touch base with various pillars of the gaming community, but the pace is crazy and comes off a bit hollow.

Last edited:

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
3 hours was unreasonably long and he's a terrible host. His presenting style felt dismissive of what he was showing. For example there were several times where his attitude was like "yeah, yeah that was cool- whatever. NOW FOR SOMETHING ELSE."
But then again, we should all recognize it's one big advertisement, so maybe we should keep our expectations in line with that.

This year's particularly gave me the feeling that as a presenter, he had to shunt everything along without much of a moment to pause. Every trailer ended with "And that was <game name>, okay moving on", like we're at a lunch line.

lol. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
The main core appeal of the show is weak. That is the game reveals. Rest is not as important. The game reveals are weak and too much gotdamn filler is there for a gamer to enjoy the experience. It was a borefest as a gamer who was 'hyped for game reveals'.

Oct 25, 2017
People are never satisfied, they always want more. There was enough cool shit in there and the way it was handled was good as well, major props to him and his team for pulling this off.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Every year I sit on my fat ass and get delivered a few dozen trailers for games, of which a few I'm pretty damn hyped to see. There's always a fun thread popping off on Era. We get to hear some good music. It's all just free and it's like, what am I gonna do? Just sit there and bellyache about the whole process?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Geoff is great. He works his ass off every year to try and put on an entertaining show. Not everything always hits but The Game Awards has been quite solid for most of its run.

It's clear that he's passionate about it all too.

Oct 10, 2020
Every year its the same thing " too long" , "boring" etc etc

I think the award show have come a long way from the cringy spike awards, remember those?
Sure the show isnt perfect, but you can see the passion the man has for videogames and the work it goes for doing this.

For better or worse he kinda unites all the companies in one event and try to bring a positive vibe .

Everyone last night was "WHERE IS ELDEN RING??"
Do you really think he can control that? Of course he would love to have a bomb like that on stage, and others , yet, the show still provided some great games but some people only focus on what they want.

Game awards disapointing? What about e3? Those big hype events of microsoft and sony that are usually underwhelming? And those really can control what they want to show and most of the times they cant deliver , now imagine Geoff that is a simple jornalist.

I had a great time last night , we just take everything for granted these days.
Absolutely, easy to see the amount of work in these events from the man himself. And indeed he manages somehow to have all companies under same roof in celebration. This year still unable to achieve E3 production values for sure but 1 or 2 years and he might exceed it. The fact that he managed to do the event yesterday the way it went + summer fest (in my view much worse) with all the challenges this year had is amazing.
I had a blast watching it last night.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, he works his ass off to put this on. And maybe he makes money off of it, but he's still extremely passionate about celebrating games. It's not flawless, but it's pretty damn good for a small-ish operation and considering the hellish year we've had.

The only thing Geoff did wrong was wearing those big blue sneakers with that attire.
And the shoulder zipper things. Jk, he seems to care and know more about fashion than I do.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Geoff is great, even if I don't care much about the awards, I do appreciate what he does gaming overall, especially this year.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
He does.

Every year he makes sure that:
-We see new games
-We get cool game related musical productions
-We see developers and the people behind the best games in the industry
-Those people are recognized for their contributions to the artform
-Provides a platform for all sorts of causes

All at no cost to the viewers. And constantly changing it up to try and make it better, without being too self-congratulatory like other awards shows.

I'd buy Geoff a beer.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
He did pretty well this year, considering the circumstances.

The problem is that you can only put so much stuff in one single show: awards, ads, hosts, performances, trailers and all that... it's like you wish they could cut some of the filler stuff, so that we could watch the musical performance (and similar stuff) in a more relaxed manner/uncut form. The show has too much rush for its own good. And that hurts the end product.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I have criticisms of the game awards for sure. Some of them land at his feet (it's his baby after all), like the timing/scheduling of the event relative to game releases. I roll my eyes a bit towards his tendency to celebrity worship at times. But overall he seems like a good enough dude & a positive ambassador/influencer in the gamin sphere.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I don't like him as I perceive him to be one of those people who likes the sound of his own voice too much. He has a certain smugness about him that's really off-putting as a host. But you gotta give him credit for getting the TGA's a large audience, I just kinda hope he'll step out of the spotlight now it's got too big for him.

I'm sure he's a swell enough guy in person. But he's not the charismatic comedian you expect to host an awards show to alleviate the tedium.

Edit: Bollocks to not getting the game you want though. That's on you for setting those expectations for yourself, like a div.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There area bunch of big figures in this industry that are doing amazing things and pushing the medium forward in a positive and effective manner that receive a bunch of unnecessary hate and Geoff is one of those guys.

I truly don't know why people have issues with him and I think it's more a testament about those people than Geoff himself.

The VGAs weren't perfect this year and probably never will be but every year that show finds a way to get bigger and better.

Apr 21, 2018
We are a critical game forum so I think it's natural we are extra critical of the hobby we love.

I mean, I complain about the show too, but I watch it every year and have a great deal of respect for Geoff. I thought last night's show was the best yet.

Secretly, I'll be salty about everything until a new F-Zero is announced.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a show with a weird set of priorities. They want to run an awards show rewarding creative achievement and critical success, but dedicate more time and emphasis on reveals of new games that haven't 'put in the work' yet. Imagine winning an award for your game and getting less air time for your congrats than some CG trailer for a game that has nothing made yet.

It just wants to be too many things, despite not being that short of a show at like 3 hours. As the host, Keighley is in a tough spot where the show extending itself this way means he has more opportunities to disappoint someone.

It gives off a pretty cynical feeling that they had a list of X amount of partnership agreements to get through and a strict time limit. I don't know how people read this as 'passion for games'. I appreciate trying to touch base with various pillars of the gaming community, but the pace is crazy and comes off a bit hollow.

I agree with this. I understand that the show needs to make money, but don't make the actual awards seem like such an afterthought. Show clips of the games after you say their names and give a little bit of suspense for the award itself. Also saying "Wow, X game, great, now our next award is..." kinda comes off as callous. Would prefer him to not even acknowledge the trailer and simply say "Our next award is for..."

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I agree with this. I understand that the show needs to make money, but don't make the actual awards seem like such an afterthought. Show clips of the games after you say their names and give a little bit of suspense for the award itself. Also saying "Wow, X game, great, now our next award is..." kinda comes off as callous. Would prefer him to not even acknowledge the trailer and simply say "Our next award is for..."

People don't watch awards shows for the awards. If they put more of a focus on awards at TGA I'd 100% stop watching.

Syringe

Oct 28, 2017
It's very easy for everyone to get heard these days. Probably mostly a good thing, but it also makes it sound like it's an unhappy majority, when it's likely just a minor faction. Keighley and the team can be proud of what they do, they make the world of video games better.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
The problem is he always makes everything about HIM. He always talks about this show in first person.
Imagine if movie awards were given in a show where its owner all the time makes it clear that is HIS show ... that HE made all the effort to make it possible and that basically HE is the reason why movies are celebrated. Then the day after he starts tweeting that HE is tired ... etc etc ...
That's why I don't care about Game Awards at all.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I just finished watching the Awards last night, and I must say, Geoff did a fantastic job of putting everything together. Very classy, he scored some excellent gets with all the trailer exclusives, Eddie Vedder, the orchestral segment was really nice, and he scored some choice hosts and guests.