• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Do they realize the precedence they're gonna set now? Everyone will expect a new half life. Fuck. And I don't wanna start hoping again.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think people forget that keighly on top of being a meme, is also one of the best games journalists out there when he wants to be
Yeah hes done some truly fantastic work over the years. He didn't get the spot he has now through luck. But as you say hes more known for the dorito/mtn dew memes regularly.
Do they realize the precedence they're gonna set now? Everyone will expect a new half life. Fuck. And I don't wanna start hoping again.
To be fair there's no reason they might not be working on HL3 too. It might be VR, it might not. But theres now a better likelihood of it happening than there has been for a long time

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Far more interested in this than Half-Life: Alyx. I've read all of his Final Hours pieces and they are well-written and very insightful.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Should spend more time making content for it over playing it.
The biggest Battle Pass they have ever done, attempting to fix matchmaking and The Outlanders Update coming next week isn't enough?

I think people forget how small Valve is.

Anyway, I can't wait to delve into this. Geoff's Final Hours series is some of the best games journalism content available and wish we had more people doing content like this.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
His Final Hours work is consistently excellent, some of the best behind-the-scenes journalism the industry has. Really excited for this.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
His previous Final Hours articles and apps are all excellent. I can't wait for this.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am bad at creating threads so i edited the first post a little more. We're getting more behind the scenes stuff besides the video Geoff Keighley posted today later next year. Should have made the more clear so no one is confused.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest Battle Pass they have ever done, attempting to fix matchmaking and The Outlanders Update coming next week isn't enough?

I think people forget how small Valve is.
I don't, but that's a choice given the company success, contrary to say, a small indie studio with limited success.

And 2 hero between each TI ( with some depressing years on the seasonnal event side ) isn't enough for me, just like it somehow wasn't for Valve 2 years ago
reTtsDG.png

with no improvement in sight since.

And I do love some matchmaking update, but the idea that a company like Valve, for a game like dota 2, would have to make a choice between having someone work on the matchmaking, or someone else on content, is ming boggling crazy. I would wagger that most games in other companies with a success even remotely close to dota 2 would get a dedicated team far bigger than what likely dota 2 had for the past 3-4 years now. Something we could probably comfirm if we could make the comparison with Psyonix, Riot Games heck maybe even Respawn Entertainment.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Valve has arguably done more in the past decade than anyone else. Everything from building VR into what it is today, making Steam the best software platform in the industry, supporting Linux and open-platform initiatives, creating the best controller API, software, and support period, releasing and supporting some of the most played multi-player games in the industry. creating the most (arguably) innovative step forward in controller design, playing a huge role in shaping the indie industry as it exists today (removing barriers to publish, alternative funding through Early Access, etc.), and many other things.

It's just that communities like this seem to only repeat: Where is my next AAA single-player narrative-focused sequel from these specific IPs? I'm ecstatic about Half-Life: Alyx, and I'd love to see Left 4 Dead 3, among other new titles, but to say Valve has been doing nothing of worth in the past decade is nothing but bullshit.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so If Half Life Alyx is nominated next year for best vr game what will happen? :)

hopefully they show some new video on the game awards

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I don't, but that's a choice given the company success, contrary to say, a small indie studio with limited success.

And 2 hero between each TI ( with some depressing years on the seasonnal event side ) isn't enough for me, just like it somehow wasn't for Valve 2 years ago
reTtsDG.png

with no improvement in sight since.

And I do love some matchmaking update, but the idea that a company like Valve, for a game like dota 2, would have to make a choice between having someone work on the matchmaking, or someone else on content, is ming boggling crazy. I would wagger that most games in other companies with a success even remotely close to dota 2 would get a dedicated team far bigger than what likely dota 2 had for the past 3-4 years now. Something we could probably comfirm if we could make the comparison with Psyonix, Riot Games heck maybe even Respawn Entertainment.
It's a choice they've made given the nature of the companies structure. Valve could have been like other game companies that have had such a successful game and hired hundreds of people to work on nothing but DOTA 2 content but then they wouldn't be the company they are, and it wouldn't be the game that it is.

For better or worse Valve is the way they are and the game might have been better had they been different or it might have been worse. I think what we have now the game is in a good place. Every new hero is unique and nothing like what we've seen before. Every new patch changes the game enough to make it feel fresh without completely breaking the balance of the pro scene.

It makes sense that heroes can take a year to develop. They have to add lore and voice lines for each new hero and record new voice lines for the older heroes to react to the new heroes. That is a lot of work without all the other aspects that go into hero development. Also important to note that Leagues entire business model is players buying new champions.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
wonder if we'll finally find out what Fstop was. They talked about it when portal 2 came out but didnt explain what the gameplay actually was in case they revisited the idea which never happened

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Keighley getting exclusive access for the past three years? Better not nominate them for GOTY or it'll be rigged then!

/s

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Excited and also dreading this a bit? Ten years of game development at Valve is ten years of aborted projects. Everyone kinda knows they tried and failed to make Half-Life 3 multiple times.
Laidlaw's Epistle 3 basically implied Valve completely lost its way at one point. This will be super interesting if Geoff really goes deep.
I really hope Geoff addresses Laidlaw's treatment for EP3 and its publication. I'm sure that must've stung for anyone working at Valve, especially the folks who were attached to Half-Life.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
People joke but Valve have been doing a shit ton the past decade;

Portal 2 release
CSGO release
Dota 2 release
Artifact
Dota Underlords
The Lab
Continued support for MP titles
Source 2
VR development
Half Life Alyx
Innovations with Linux
Steam
Shelved games deep in development like L4D3
Steam controller, Link, and Steam machines

They've been pretty busy despite the hat jokes etc. Not to mention all the times they've probably scrapped HL3. Watching that interview was pretty telling. Just flat out saying they are scared to touch it due to expectations.

Last edited:

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I just want answers on why they dropped ep3, and when they're going to resolve the cliffhanger.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd give up a kidney to be a play tested at Valve. What a dream job that would be.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Sounds good. Maybe when it comes out and people watch we can be done with the garbage drive-bys and potshots at Valve claiming they do nothing.