• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The Final Hours is something Geoff did for Half Life 2, Portal 2, and tons of other games. It is suppose to come out later next year after Half Life: Alyx is out. It's going to be more videos, articles about all the things and problems at Valve in the past decade. It's not just the one video we got today.

Left for Dead 3 confirmed.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For all of the joking about Keighley, The Final Hours series is/was some of the best games coverage out there. Was really excited to see a new one being made.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
never knew he is a writer, always kinda assumed he is just a "host"

He was pretty awesome. His Final Hours pieces were fantastic.

www.gamespot.com

The Final Hours of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Geoff Keighley takes you behind the scenes in this exclusive feature about the last days of the development of 2001's biggest game.

www.gamespot.com

The Final Hours of Half-Life 2

The newest installment in Geoff Keighley's Behind the Games series covers the turbulent development of Half-Life 2. This special feature takes you behind the scenes on the development of the game at Valve Software, including exclusive details on the infamous source code leak.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people forget that keighly on top of being a meme, is also one of the best games journalists out there when he wants to be

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I hope this means they're ready to come back to make single player games (besides Alyx)

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I just want a new L4D that's tonally closer to the first game.

Don't care about Half-Life.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Really interested in reading what happened when literally half of the "old guard" left in the span of few months.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm excited for this!

While Valve isn't known as a developer with great pr, they seem to be really open about stuff, once someone is on the inside.

I expect lots of information about cancelled projects and what went wrong with Source 2.

Geoff is also a really good interviewer, he's not too shy to ask difficult questions but he remains polite and even offers and out if the people he's interviewing don't know their way around it.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Collecting Steam revenue. J/K.

Can't wait for the reveal.

edit: Already released trailer.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Really interested in reading what happened when literally half of the "old guard" left in the span of few months.

Most of them have returned. So I'm guessing there was a point where they all got fed up with Valve focusing solely on Steam and chasing trends like card games.

Scuttlebutt has been that Valve (at least at one point) was hyper focused on 'making the numbers go up' to the detriment of creatives.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Simple answer is no dev wanted the heat from releasing hl3. People crazy enough to dox every dev who worked on it

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Laidlaw's Epistle 3 basically implied Valve completely lost its way at one point. This will be super interesting if Geoff really goes deep.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if they will finally talk about some of the mess that happened between them, Oculus and Facebook, where after Zuck seeing their VR tech and demo, Facebook bought Oculus, who had been given Valve's tech, and then tried to poach Valve's VR team. Both Ben Krasnow and Alan Yates, confirmed this on forums, but Valve never talked about it. Ben Krasnow called it "one of the most questionable things I've seen in my career".
My guess was that it was shortly after this that Valve decided to go balls deep and reorganise the company around VR and the tech they were producing.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna need to see Gabe's knife collection in a time-lapse to be satisfied with this documentary.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Portal 2 The Final Hours described how Valve almost made a Portal sequel without the portal gun, so I assume the next Final Hours might be on the same level of tell-all.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Geoffs The Final Hours work has always been great so looking forward to the one for HL: Alyx