• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
10 new games/projects at VGA.

We have a bunch of brand new games being announced at the show -- I think there are around 10 new games/projects being revealed if you want to count the things that no one has heard about yet. As always the Internet has a lot of really bad information out there about what you think is at the show...but it sure is fun to read :)

Oct 26, 2017
We have a bunch of brand new games being announced at the show -- I think there are around 10 new games/projects being revealed if you want to count the things that no one has heard about yet. As always the Internet has a lot of really bad information out there about what you think is at the show...but it sure is fun to read :)

ELDEN RING DREAM IS DEAD

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I am a bit out of the loop or forgot but what did Bookie do again?

It's pretty disturbing. And it's not the fact that he's all over the place politically - his opinions make me not like him, but that isn't the reason.

It's the fact that he'll constantly threaten his fanbase that if he loses their support, he'll kill himself. It's exploitative and disgusting. There is also strong allegations against him that he was abusive to his live in girlfriend.

And to be fair, Cory Balrog seemed to distance himself from him...eventually.

edit: For those concerned, this youtuber does a fair job of presenting the facts, and isn't some kind of bully. It's just a good presentation of why so many people aren't fans of Boogie anymore.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Thats the smallest number of announcements we've had for TGAs in ages. Everyone trying to go quiet before next-gen?

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Thats the smallest number of announcements we've had for TGAs in ages. Everyone trying to go quiet before next-gen?
Seems to be the case, we know that Sony's playing things very close to the chest until they can reveal the PS5 on their own terms.

I'd expect maybe 1 or 2 AAA announcements, the rest will likely be Indies.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't concerned about the Death Stranding / Game Awards thing like some others (Hell I really actually like the game and if I beat it before the end of the year might be my GOTY) but he responded to someone that asked him that question very well..

Lots of thoughts around this, but more than anything, the integrity of the show and the awards is the most important thing of all. I don't vote on the nominees or winners – that's done by a jury of 80 global media outlets that we list on the website. That process isn't the result of me having a cameo in a game, but also because I work with developers on world premieres, announcements, sponsorships, and other aspects of the show. I want the jury to be "blind" to all those other aspects.

But I certainly get any appreciate the concern, and people know that Hideo is a personal friend of mine, as are many other developers in the industry. Look, it sort of cuts both ways – there are developers who won't talk to me to this day because they are upset they didn't win an award one year, even though I do not select the winners. If I'm being honest it can sometimes be pretty lonely trying to keep everyone happy. But I just have to stay true to the rules and voting and hope that, if I want to build something that stands the test of time, I act as ethically and fairly as I can. On the other hand it's really nice that developers – and the community -- value the award so much and care about it.

On that cameo BTW, a bit of background -- Originally Hideo scanned me 2 years ago, in the Fall of 2017, ago for an idea he had of me "introducing" a Death Stranding trailer at Game Awards from within the game world. (Would have been cool!) That never came together, but the scan was still out there. So this summer he told me he was going to use it as a special easter egg in the game. I didn't perform any kind of role or have any lines in the game (at least any that I recorded, Matt Mercer did that!).

Over the years I've "cameoed" in a couple games – Peter Molyneux named a villager in Black and White after me, I remember EA Chicago scanned me for their Marvel fighting game they were doing (it got cancelled). Even going way back I "cameo'd" in the game Blood II, when the developers wrote a rant about me in the end credits. (Which they eventually patched out). Actually way back in the day, on my first trip to id and Apogee in 1994, I recorded a voice over line for Rise of the Triad which I think they used in the game somewhere.

But back to your point, I certainly get the concern. As producer of the show I'm inevitably going to have relationships with people in the industry. That's what allows me to do the show in the first place. The producers of the Oscars, for instance, are often (or almost always) people who produce movies. I don't make games, don't invest in games or own game stock. All I can do is be transparent about those relationships and make sure the voting is separate.

If people think I shouldn't allow my image to be in a game in the future maybe I should say no. I'm just trying to navigate this as best (and as transparently) as I can, as a creative person who wants to do things other than the Awards. I saw some people saying that I shouldn't even be writing Final Hours of Half-Life: Alyx....

Geoff is a cool guy. Met him at PSX before a pannel once. Was standing on the side waiting for it to start and he came up and asked how I was doing, games I was playing, what I liked on the floor etc. and he answered similar questions I asked him. That was a stark difference between other "media/developers" who were not directly showing games on the floor and would go back and reside in closed off spaces (Which honestly I don't blame them I would do the same).

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.
There are no plans (never were) to do anything with Resident Evil 3 at the show. A lot of these "leaks" are completely wrong. Nothing about our show has leaked as of this writing.
So we may get a full reveal before the Game Awards.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Someone asked if it's a conflict of interest that he's the producer of the Game Awards while having a cameo in Death Stranding. His response:

Lots of thoughts around this, but more than anything, the integrity of the show and the awards is the most important thing of all. I don't vote on the nominees or winners – that's done by a jury of 80 global media outlets that we list on the website. That process isn't the result of me having a cameo in a game, but also because I work with developers on world premieres, announcements, sponsorships, and other aspects of the show. I want the jury to be "blind" to all those other aspects.
But I certainly get any appreciate the concern, and people know that Hideo is a personal friend of mine, as are many other developers in the industry. Look, it sort of cuts both ways – there are developers who won't talk to me to this day because they are upset they didn't win an award one year, even though I do not select the winners. If I'm being honest it can sometimes be pretty lonely trying to keep everyone happy. But I just have to stay true to the rules and voting and hope that, if I want to build something that stands the test of time, I act as ethically and fairly as I can. On the other hand it's really nice that developers – and the community -- value the award so much and care about it.
On that cameo BTW, a bit of background -- Originally Hideo scanned me 2 years ago, in the Fall of 2017, ago for an idea he had of me "introducing" a Death Stranding trailer at Game Awards from within the game world. (Would have been cool!) That never came together, but the scan was still out there. So this summer he told me he was going to use it as a special easter egg in the game. I didn't perform any kind of role or have any lines in the game (at least any that I recorded, Matt Mercer did that!).
Over the years I've "cameoed" in a couple games – Peter Molyneux named a villager in Black and White after me, I remember EA Chicago scanned me for their Marvel fighting game they were doing (it got cancelled). Even going way back I "cameo'd" in the game Blood II, when the developers wrote a rant about me in the end credits. (Which they eventually patched out). Actually way back in the day, on my first trip to id and Apogee in 1994, I recorded a voice over line for Rise of the Triad which I think they used in the game somewhere.
But back to your point, I certainly get the concern. As producer of the show I'm inevitably going to have relationships with people in the industry. That's what allows me to do the show in the first place. The producers of the Oscars, for instance, are often (or almost always) people who produce movies. I don't make games, don't invest in games or own game stock. All I can do is be transparent about those relationships and make sure the voting is separate.
If people think I shouldn't allow my image to be in a game in the future maybe I should say no. I'm just trying to navigate this as best (and as transparently) as I can, as a creative person who wants to do things other than the Awards. I saw some people saying that I shouldn't even be writing Final Hours of Half-Life: Alyx....

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
His cameo in Death Stranding was pretty fucking unflattering to be honest. Kojima almost comes off as having low-key contempt for him.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

It's pretty disturbing. And it's not the fact that he's all over the place politically - his opinions make me not like him, but that isn't the reason.

It's the fact that he'll constantly threaten his fanbase that if he loses their support, he'll kill himself. It's exploitative and disgusting. There is also strong allegations against him that he was abusive to his live in girlfriend.

And to be fair, Cory Balrog seemed to distance himself from him...eventually.

edit: For those concerned, this youtuber does a fair job of presenting the facts, and isn't some kind of bully. It's just a good presentation of why so many people aren't fans of Boogie anymore.

Holy shit, I'm only 15 minutes in and I don't think I can watch any more. I'm actually really fucking disturbed by this guy, and I've never seen or heard this stuff before.

What a strange person. He's making me feel very uneasy.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Did he say anything about Halo Infinite? Are we getting a new trailer at the VGA?