• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair most people only watch the game awards for reveals or the game coverage. That's also what has most people excited about e3. So in that respect they do compete and I'm sure Geoff would rather have big announcements on the game awards rather than at e3.

It just hit me that The Game Awards felt more like E3 than last year's E3 did.

We got the new Xbox reveal, in game footage of Tsushima, the first PS5 game, Hellblade 2.

Nov 15, 2018
The thing is even if e3 were to shut down, it would more than likely be replaced by a new event that aims to do the same thing. It's the biggest gaming event every year and gives tons of info about upcoming games from nearly all developers. Losing e3 would only hurt the developers, so make sense for others to recreate that type of event in its absence.

In other words, E3 will never truly die.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Well damn.

And another one. The only thing I will not like is having to watch different streams for gaming info. So far I'll have to do that for Sony. I'll still be watching E3 for the others.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The thing is even if e3 were to shut down, it would more than likely be replaced by a new event that aims to do the same thing. It's the biggest gaming event every year and gives tons of info about upcoming games from nearly all developers. Losing e3 would only hurt the developers, so make sense for others to recreate that type of event in its absence.

imagine if this anti-e3 rhetoric was applied to something like...comic con.

you'd have all these talking heads opining about how cool it would be if the giant corporations could direct their message directly and scripted, etc. Because we all love giant corporations and want the best for them, apparently.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
imagine if this anti-e3 rhetoric was applied to something like...comic con.

you'd have all these talking heads opining about how cool it would be if the giant corporations could direct their message directly and scripted, etc. Because we all love giant corporations and want the best for them, apparently.

The ESA is these giant corporations

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff is Mr clean cut. Probably doesn't want to be near some of the unwashed no matter how much they bathed the week before leaving their flee pits.

For me though, E3 and the time it takes to develop games now is a problem. It's difficult to show new stuff each year and doing it every 2 years could mean they miss out on a hardware reveal or one big game shown at other places. The natural progression to me is doing your own events when you have stuff to show and not relying on ESA and utilizing the VGA when you want.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Video game announcements are over. They're not happening anymore. Companies will only be able to alert the public of new video games by stapling a press release to a tumble weed and hoping someone finds it.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
O ye of little faith

89f.jpg

Hopefully we will get a new big trade show in the US (maybe in NYC...?) independent from the ESA.
I would like to see a big trade show in NYC (or close by). I'm not sure the city can handle it, but I would like it.

emperor_ing

Jan 10, 2018
United Kingdom
If E3 wants to survive it needs to match the likes of Gamescom and Tokyo Games Show. Downsize into a smaller, tighter convention with maybe 1 trade day and a couple of public facing days. You'd then have 3 similar events on three continents spaced throughout the year. With the big 3 now releasing their own online videos to market to their fans, the show has lost its place as the big blow out event. Nintendo Directs are hugely popular, Inside Xbox I've found to be pretty smart, and while I still think State of Play is not quite there and still needs more time to develop, it's definitely the format to take forward for them. E3 and the like however can be good events for giving smaller devs who maybe don't have the social reach or resources to have a platform to market their games to a wide audience.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Weird comment, but just Jeff being a smartass as usual. It's very obvious what people mean when they say that unless you're being obtuse.

Yeah, good job pretending to not understand what everyone means with that statement, I guess? All that tweet does is make it seem like he can't understand extremely simple concepts.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
So what led to the death of e3 exactly? Feels like it happened fast, and I'm not sure Star was natural about the evolution to Nintendo direct type events. What was broken with the old model?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty disappointed at everyone skipping E3 this year. As someone who doesn't follow gaming news as religiously as I used to(I didn't even know that Insomniac was purchased by Sony prior to this week), E3 has always been a great way to get a collection of announcements in the span of a few days, which makes it a lot easier to follow the big stories.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've always considered the idea pretty silly. E3 is an opportunity for advertisers to advertise. Gamers aren't getting any gifts. If anything, the gift is gamers giving their heightened attention to the industry. Thinking of advertising as a gift is high consumerism.
Yeah, so? I mean, you're saying this while posting on a video game forum with a Metroid avatar.

I enjoy media, I enjoy getting glimpses at media I like to enjoy. I'm enjoying myself.

Why is it silly?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

This is true which is why I said earlier a company that wants to be multiplatform like MS or a company with a very vested interest in ensuring more gaming products are presented for their incubating platform like Valve will want to organize a tradeshow.

We have tradeshows from guns, to make up to groceries because it is very important for industry veterans to meet and share information despite being competitors.

TGS and Gamescom is not a sufficient replacement because they are tradeshows in other timezone regions.

GDC will continue to avoid being a gaming tradeshow because they cover a much wider use cases for software applications.

Someone will step in within the next 2 - 3 years.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This is true which is why I said earlier a company that wants to be multiplatform like MS or a company with a very vested interest in ensuring more gaming products are presented for their incubating platform like Valve will want to organize a tradeshow.

We have tradeshows from guns, to make up to groceries because it is very important for industry veterans to meet and share information despite being competitors.

TGS and Gamescom is not a sufficient replacement because they are tradeshows in other timezone regions.

GDC will continue to avoid being a gaming tradeshow because they cover a much wider use cases for software applications.

they aren't trade shows anymore
A: it's open to the public
B: nobody goes to make buying decisions off the back of it now

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nah. Physical "go there" style events are giving way to the internet. Putting a game trailer on YouTube means you don't have to spend millions of dollars to share attention with 100 other games from your closest competitors. No one will replace E3 because it's a dying industry.

Think of it like Amazon killing Toys R Us.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, so? I mean, you're saying this while posting on a video game forum with a Metroid avatar.

I enjoy media, I enjoy getting glimpses at media I like to enjoy. I'm enjoying myself.

Why is it silly?

What does that have to do with anything? Nintendo doesn't own this forum. I'm not commenting on a trailer about Nintendo's IP. I'm not being advertised to. The comparison is meaningless.

I enjoy media too. No part of my post said people shouldn't enjoy media. I am pushing back on the sentiment that publishers are somehow doing us a favor or giving us a gift by participating in an event like E3; they are not.

Their efforts to advertise their games are in the interest of selling us a product, and this is the crux of the public viewing of E3. Whether you enjoy being advertised to is a decision that is entirely your own. But the relationship exists as such.

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
So, does this confirm PS5 announcement around E3 considering Geoff also tweeted he received an invitation to host/attend "something" (sorry, cant recall the exact tweet). Maybe part of the reason for skipping E3 is he is hosting PS5 reveal at the same time.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What does that have to do with anything? Nintendo doesn't own this forum. I'm not commenting on a trailer about Nintendo's IP. I'm not being advertised to. The comparison is meaningless.

I enjoy media too. No part of my post said people shouldn't enjoy media. I am pushing back on the sentiment that publishers are somehow doing us a favor or giving us a gift by participating in an event like E3; they are not.

Their efforts to advertise their games are in the interest of selling us a product, and this is the crux of the public viewing of E3. Whether you enjoy being advertised to is a decision that is entirely your own. But the relationship exists as such.
You're taking the "Christmas" part way too literally.

"Christmas" in this sense doesn't have to do with gifts but just a fun period of time.

So if you don't think there's anything wrong with people enjoying seeing an advertisement for new pieces of media for their hobby, I don't see what's silly about it.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
You're taking the "Christmas" part way too literally.

"Christmas" in this sense doesn't have to do with gifts but just a fun period of time.

So if you don't think there's anything wrong with people enjoying seeing an advertisement for new pieces of media for their hobby, I don't see what's silly about it.

Interpret it as you will; Christmas is known as a time of gift giving. There are plenty of brand warriors that can't wait for the gift of CG trailers and advertisements from their favorite brands, so they can in turn talk about how great those brands are. And I find that mentality very silly.

If that isn't you, then I don't think your approach is silly.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have time to read every page of this thread, but man if I will never understand how some celebrate fun things possibly coming to an end at some point. I definitely wouldn't want to hang out and party with anyone that considers stupid digital directs and other crap as being preferable to what was the annual "Super Bowl" of gaming where all of the players had press conferences and battled for mindshare and attention. I really think that the gaming industry as a whole is going to end up regretting letting E3 die if it happens, as it could be fixed or reinvented in a way where you still have everyone come together for gaming attention in a massive way that gets coverage from even more mainstream news outlets in a way that can't be replicated by everyone doing their own thing.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
or more importantly for Keighly and his financial interests....The game award becomes the world stage for big gaming reveals.

As much as I have liked some of that stuff at The Game Awards, his move here is likely to make that show detract even more from what the very title of it states it should be about to celebrate awards. It would have been nice to keep that show focused on the hard working developers instead of him turning it into his own E3 hype show now where they hand out 3 or 4 awards in 30 seconds without even showing anything from the game or talking with a developer as they cue up the next trailer.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The thing is even if e3 were to shut down, it would more than likely be replaced by a new event that aims to do the same thing.
This has already partially happened, though. The publishers have started to realize they don't need to scramble to make some arbitrary date in June - they can create events of their very own, where there's no competition and the presentation can proceed on their terms alone. Nintendo Directs are by for the most famous example of them (there's a reason why people are chomping at the bit for even a tease of an announcement of a date for them), but Sony's got them too, and it's long going to be long before Microsoft starts having them as well.

Losing e3 would only hurt the developers
Not at all. Beneath the showiness and spectacle, E3's always been a vehicle for the publishers and investors to monitor the state of the industry and make plans accordingly. If anything, developers will benefit from not having to have X demo/presentation/trailer/etc. ready by Y date - something they've already been seriously struggling with in recent years. E3 2019 was almost completely a showcase for games coming out in 2020 or later; very few actual cool surprises for the consumer.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
As much as I have liked some of that stuff at The Game Awards, his move here is likely to make that show detract even more from what the very title of it states it should be about to celebrate awards. It would have been nice to keep that show focused on the hard working developers instead of him turning it into his own E3 hype show now where they hand out 3 or 4 awards in 30 seconds without even showing anything from the game or talking with a developer as they cue up the next trailer.

Awards are also money making enterprises. You have to nominate your own content for a category and you have to pay to be there in case you might win it.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time to read every page of this thread, but man if I will never understand how some celebrate fun things possibly coming to an end at some point. I definitely wouldn't want to hang out and party with anyone that considers stupid digital directs and other crap as being preferable to what was the annual "Super Bowl" of gaming where all of the players had press conferences and battled for mindshare and attention. I really think that the gaming industry as a whole is going to end up regretting letting E3 die if it happens, as it could be fixed or reinvented in a way where you still have everyone come together for gaming attention in a massive way that gets coverage from even more mainstream news outlets in a way that can't be replicated by everyone doing their own thing.
I don't ESA fucked up by having journalist information get stolen in a very public way, This is an extension of that. The game industry will find a better way to get the information out to news outlets and e3 dying is not a bad thing especially after all of that happening.

Why? Genuinely asking, I know a lot of people hold the same view but never understood why

For me (and I know for many others) E3 is a time of hype and excitement so it is sad it is dying!
The company that owns e3 left tons of journalist information leak publicly by putting it accessible on their website even if it's by accident it doesn't matter because ESA should go away because of it and if E3 is part of that so be it.