• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
One has gotta go fast. The other has gotta go, fast.
WhiteFlashyGoshawk-max-1mb.gif

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Why so many ppl on this forum suddenly want E3 to die? And call it dead??
How is it good for gaming or anyone? This doesn't make any sense at all. Are some of you hating for no reason? I don't get it really.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Geoff do youtube's coverage a few times but don't remember if he was even on it last time. I've got no idea what the coliseum thing he did was, only read it in this thread, I guess it was in place of hosting YouTube coverage.

Short of hosting for YouTube or one of the others like Sony/MS/EA etc I don't think him ducking out matters much, more so these ton of reasons.

I do like Geoff, have watched him since the early days of gametrailers and doing a Sony gig would be good.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He got an interesting call a few weeks back and is now skipping e3. He's up to something.

British

Dec 15, 2018
Man stops supporting a business that directly competes with his own company. I'm shocked, shocked I say!

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Weird comment, but just Jeff being a smartass as usual. It's very obvious what people mean when they say that unless you're being obtuse.

I've always considered the idea pretty silly. E3 is an opportunity for advertisers to advertise. Gamers aren't getting any gifts. If anything, the gift is gamers giving their heightened attention to the industry. Thinking of advertising as a gift is high consumerism.

Nov 15, 2018
As long as Microsoft,Nintendo,and 3rd parties stay then E3 will stay. Even the more casual gamers hear the news about E3 so it still has a lot of reach.

I'm not entirely sure how Geoff benefits from not attending E3, so for now I can only assume Geoff wants to make a new event to replace E3.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
With the MWC cancelled, I think we have to start wondering how many events in the first half of the year will actually go ahead at all...DICE went ahead, mind you.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Can we all just agree to cancel E3, and every large company agrees to just host an online/their own presentation of all their new stuff around the same time period? Save everyone the time and money, but still get all the fun news and excitement.
I think this will be the norm in the very near future. Publishers/devs will ride others hype and excitement while the skillet is hot and it'll be a natural thing to do. It should be much less stressful on the dev teams as well; no set e3 vertical slice deadlines should be a blessing. Announce when you're ready, announce when it's still hot if you're ready.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
People mainly watch E3 for the keynote conferences. That won't change.

Nothing says 'forum bubble' than people proclaiming E3 is dead as a spectacle because Keighley pulled out.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know what is the drama. Don't care about geof being there or not, as long as games are there, shame about losing Sony though.

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019
I think our enthusiast-thirst for video game hype will keep E3 alive for a bit. The very vocal and visible protests of the ESA that Geoff/Sony are doing clearly amplify the voice within the industry about the state of the event but most enthusiasts fans are not in the industry. The absence of Sony/Geoff* also provides opportunities for other voices to be heard. Any large/high profile guests that might have booked with Geoff will book with other outlets. Activision/Ubisoft/WB will want to show off CoD/AC/Batman just as much as if Geoff was there. Sony keeping the PS5 from E3 kill keep a lot of the media attention on the other hardware makers. Enthusiasts will still tune in with ravenous hype for the magical announcement unicorn that they'll either celebrate the existence of when it's announced or complain about not seeing at the show if it's not.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Why so many ppl on this forum suddenly want E3 to die? And call it dead??
How is it good for gaming or anyone? This doesn't make any sense at all. Are some of you hating for no reason? I don't get it really.

Wanting it to die is going a bit far, but at this point I wouldn't exactly say E3 is good for gaming. It's a lot of un-necessary competition for the limelight, when game development prices are only rising higher and higher. Social media & streaming services allow for a year-long approach to delivering news and announcements - it means fewer games get ignored. Games like Wattam and Untitled Goose Game get to share the spotlight in State of Play and Nintendo Directs without being a footnote within a week of major reveals.

The only people in the industry E3 really benefits at this point are journalists living within the United States, since it's just a plane ride away to see every major studio within the space of a week.

Aug 27, 2018
Everyone talking about how E3 is cancelled, all I know is...as long as Giant Bomb still does their E3 shit every year I'm still excited for it, it's half the reason I watch E3 stuff anymore.

Last edited:

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
E3 is a trade event.
To be fair most people only watch the game awards for reveals or the game coverage. That's also what has most people excited about e3. So in that respect they do compete and I'm sure Geoff would rather have big announcements on the game awards rather than at e3.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There's a new press release from the ESA about E3 2020, where they go into a few details

The show returns to the Los Angeles Convention Center from June 9-11, with an industry day on June 9, followed by two days open to all badge holders.

E3, the world's premier event for computer and video games and related products, has been reimagined to include new stage experiences, experiential zones, and live events to showcase new titles and innovations in video games and to celebrate video game culture.

E3 2020 will feature special guest gamers, celebrities, and digital programming on the show floor while connecting with global audiences through extended livestreaming. A highlight will be the debut of an all-new floor experience that will be streamed to bring exclusive conversations with leading industry innovators and creators to attendees and fans worldwide.

"We are working to make E3 2020 a more interactive and immersive experience with a show floor that will amplify our exhibitors, their innovations, and announcements," said Stanley Pierre-Louis, President and CEO of the ESA. "The E3 experience is an industry showcase like no other. It connects media, brands, innovators, and super fans with one another."

Several leading video game companies have already committed to participating in E3 2020, including Xbox, Nintendo, Ubisoft, Bethesda Softworks, SEGA, Capcom, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive Software, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc., and Warner Bros. Games, among others.

Curious what about this turned Geoff off