• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The market leader is skipping E3 for the 2nd year in a row. Multiple other publishers are also not going as far as i know.
Now some of the biggest gaming journalists are not going.

Yeah...it's weird how suddenly E3 isn't good /s
Oh I wasn't aware of that.
All the publishers I have contacted are going as well as the journalists. What other ones are not?

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
While I do enjoy and appreciate what Geoff does he doesn't make or break E3 for me. Saying E3 is dead is the new consoles are dead,

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Because you're reading too much into what i'm saying.
Geoff lives and breathes this stuff, even if it's just sitting in the audience being seen there for all the cool shit about to be shown, i'm purely talking about the spectacle.

his announcement doesn't mean he can't do that. He's not saying he's going to ignore everything that goes on in and around E3z

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's a big oof. He's always been synonymous with E3. I always loved his coverage and interviews during the event. I think the question as we get closer is whose actually going to E3 at this point. I think we're going to see folks slowly back out.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still excited for E3, never notice Geoff was there but I do enjoy his awards show.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad I went to E3 2018, I'm starting to wonder if that one will be seen as the last "full" E3

I figure it'll stick around, but it might turn into June PAX, with studios potentially timing their own announcement videos around the window but not the massive bulk we've grown accustomed to. Sony would return but with a single simple booth and the whole event would be targeted at the public primarily. That's my guess.

Personally I'm on board with it - people are lamenting the loss of the "gamer christmas" or whatever, but isn't it better to spread that hype out all year 'round?

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming without E3 is poorer. Having multiple smaller events around the year is no good replacement.
I don't think there will be a replacement, I think it'll be like in the music and movie industry, you'll just see tweets and trailers pop up all year long instead of saving all the announcements for one week of the year. And you'll have the usual yearly events from each big publisher/manufacturer.

But yes, it'll be a much more boring scenario. E3 is
hype, I love it!

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Who would've thought that the year seemingly everybody pulls out of E3 would be in a console release year. Unreal.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
1e7518f45f800f5a54c79daab5d06209.gif

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
his announcement doesn't mean he can't do that. He's not saying he's going to ignore everything that goes on in and around E3z

he said he might not attend the conference, just seems weird when any of the big three launching consoles and new gen games is as big as it gets. that's all i mean't by it and nothing more.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, interesting...but I guess he will some months later again host the big opening show of Gamescom like last year? Seems they wanted to make this a thing. Will Gamescom be the new E3? It is already the biggest gaming event in the world.

Nov 5, 2017
i love jeff and the bomb crew, but here's a take i cant get behind

Jeff does have a point... nowadays, most of the games that are shown off at E3 are vertical slices and not really representative of final gameplay. These games are often delayed and we have to usually wait at least 1 year or half a year for these games to come out...

So, as Jeff points out, we don't get games at E3, just vertical slices of games...

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely got nothing to lament and fully support Geoff and whoever joins him in not being there anymore. E3 is just not what it used to be, the ESA keeps being a joke of an association. E3 is not gonna die immediately, but this 2020 for sure we will see the flood of youtubers and influencers filling up the event like never before in hopes for keeping his relevancy.

I truly hope the Nintendo thing not being there also becomes true. Absolutely nobody needs E3 at this point. Big publishers know they can do stuff whenever they want, indies get lost in the ocean of announcements, it's a lose/lose situation for everyone.

Little Edit: For everyone missunderstunding Jeff's tweet, look it this way. E3 being treated as "Gamer Xmas" would be like Santa coming on December 25th to your house and tell you all the good things you MIGHT get in an undetermined amount of time. Now just be a good patient little boy until your "present" arrives in 5 to 12 more months (if you are extremely lucky your "present" didn't get stuck somewhere).

Last edited:

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah I like the announcements that come from the event.
[/QUOTE

I know right.

As I'm in the UK, most of the big conferences are late at night, or in the early hours of the morning (Sony). I'd go to bed when they were on, the wake up excited to read about all the announcements that happened while I was sleeping. I still do that now as a father and man in his 30s. It's the closest thing I can get to replicating the magic feeling of Christmas as a child.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm not booking that week off work for the first time in years; E3 truly is dead.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Hhh, interesting...but I guess he will some months later again host the big opening show of Gamescom like last year? Seems they wanted to make this a thing. Will Gamescom be the new E3? It is already the biggest gaming event in the world.
He's already confirmed he will. Like Sony his problem seems to be with E3 and how it's run, not just conventions in general.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The part where I would share a similar sentiment to that Jeff tweet with regards to E3 is that people seem to care about E3 insofar as how many reveals and exclusives any given company announces. If it's Christmas, that's what people seem to view as gifts, and it makes the discourse around E3 around here has become increasingly dumber and more meaningless.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
He's already confirmed he will. Like Sony his problem seems to be with E3 and how it's run, not just conventions in general.

Yep, Sony's still going to PAX later this month and is going to have a demo for Part II there. They'll still go to all the traditional conventions you expect from them, except for E3.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they're going to grab Greg Miller or someone to put something together in Geoff's absence.

Feb 10, 2018
Well, I don't care about E3 for Geoff kelie, as long as there at least a couple of big conferences E3 will still be good.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I hate this , lol.
I have been describing E3 as my Christmas to non-gamers before I have even heard others refer to it that way and before it now has apparently become a thing. It's just meaning it's the most wonderful time of the year for a gamer. Well, it lost a lot of its wonder in recent years unfortunately. :(

Oct 27, 2017
Shit well I guess that's that. I'm gonna miss his live coverage (assuming there are still things to cover at this E3). This news is not a good outlook for the event

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
First we heard about its new focus on influencers, then Sony left, and now the Pope is gone too. It was obvious for awhile ago but yeah E3 is dead. I will at least see what train wreck of event they will have. This will be the most unhyped E3 ever.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
E3 2020

Publishers: Here's a trailer. Release date? Who knows, could be 4 years, could be 5 years. Anyway is that Vin Diesel?

Influencers: Follow me on YouTube and Twitch and don't forget to hit the like button!

Celebrities: I play the Kens in the Street Fighters. Do the floss!

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Jeff bro, E3 christmas week to us means new game announcements and vertical cgi slices. Much less fuck is given for release of actual new games during said week. We're mostly here for the hype/announcements and the vertical e3-tailor--built slices.

Exactly. Talking about the games, the surprises and the press conference performances is (was) at least as much fun as actually playing them.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
he was never going to be at their conference. What exactly do people think Geoff is announcing here? I'm starting to wonder what some of you even think E3 is.
I don't know what's going on either. He really isn't that huge of a thing at E3. He has Game Awards show for that. Him being at E3 isn't much of anything. I don't get it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
E3 2020

Publishers: Here's a trailer. Release date? Who knows, could be 4 years, could be 5 years. Anyway is that Vin Diesel?

Influencers: Follow me on YouTube and Twitch and don't forget to hit the like button!

Celebrities: I play the Kens in the Street Fighters. Do the floss!

E3 is the new The Game Awards minus Geoff?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Christmas is still Gamer Christmas for me as it's the one time of year I get to take 2 care free weeks to game like I'm 15 again.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I haven't been following this very close but from what I can tell the ESA was lax with its security and game journalists data was breached. Journalist are being doxed and the ESA just doesn't give a shit?

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a really stupid statement.

Seeing new games is like Christmas, celebrating gaming is like Christmas, sharing the hype of brand new announcements is like Christmas.
Spirit vs materialism.

Meh, I call it the Super Bowl of gaming to non-gamers in my way for lack-of-better-words.