• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Phil was the guest for the Zoom call and Gabe called in from New Zealand for the final hour to surprise us all.

Why is this thread still open? Geoff has been doing these group calls for weeks. Reggie was on one the other day.

It's all about the game awards, there is nothing else to it at all.

Quoting for the new page.

This is literally nothing but a meetup with fans to discuss the game awards. If there was any big announcement one of the 500 other people would have leaked the information by now.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldnt mind this to be honest.
Having a single game UI needs to be someone's goal.

I want to boot up my PC like I boot up my Playstation, theme music and all. No desktop, just media apps and games. And if I need to do something desktop worthy like manually add or adjust game launch paths, I should be able to revert to desktop and do it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Wasn't that a GameAwards chat or something? I wouldn't have expected announcements exactly, at least nothing that wasn't coming at the TGAs.

The only Valve-Microsoft news I want to hear is like Valve Headset support on Xbox or something like that. Or Gamepass interoperability with Steam would be also great, but I don't know if either thing would be even vaguely likely. I like the value of Gamepass but the launcher on PC is dreadful and Steam is the gold standard for launchers on PC, so if given the choice I would obviously use Steam.

If Microsoft ever were to buy Valve, I think you'd just see the Steam launcher become their new default for games. Microsoft have already basically given up on UWP, and I think a lot of the current issues with the Microsoft Store/Game Pass app stuff is legacy issues from the UWP push.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a pretty large zoom call. I doubt it's anything significant.

yup, saw above post, it's the game awards.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Gaben buying the xbox brand from Microsoft confirmed.
Yup he's that rich.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This news actually: Mountain out of a molehill.

And McVickers is going to make a planet out of a molehill based on a whole lot of nothing news.

Oct 27, 2017
They have been doing weekly calls with a few hundred fans on zoom for the game awards. Every week they bring guests on the call. This week was Phil Spencer and Gabe Newell. I'm pretty sure that's what they were referring to. They didn't make any announcements on the call and just talked about random stuff. Someone I knew was on the call.

Jeepman87

Sep 16, 2020
I like how Gabe is mysterious in that call with no camera lol. Maybe Game Pass through steam? Doubtful but would be great. Or possibly Valve actually announcing a new game again already and it will also be on xbox? That would be pretty bad ass.

maybe he forgot to shave or thebackground is a mess.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe he forgot to shave or thebackground is a mess.
Have you seen him whenever he appears on camera on in public? He doesn't really care about appearances.
ECzokZLXUAAmB2H.jpg

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Aw, yeah the TGA makes way more sense, heh. Well, will be interesting to see if Valve has anything to show there.

Gabe is REALLY into neural interface stuff right now correct?

At his age and with his money? I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking into somehow uplinking your brain into a machine in the future.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I know this wasn't really anything, but I would love to see a Steam Link app on the Series S/X.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gabe did say he felt Xbox was the best choice this holiday 'just because' and it did feel like there was a deal in the works sugaring his opinion.

Or they just enjoy having MS games on Steam idk.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Official Staff Communication
Thread title has been updated to more accurately reflect the content of the OP and the event in question. Thank you for remaining on topic!

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
VNN did release his report. If this is the stuff that was talked about it's actually far, far more interesting than I expected.

Edit: Neither Gamepass nor consoles are mentioned.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
VNN did release his report. If this is the stuff that was talked about it's actually far, far more interesting than I expected.

Edit: Neither Gamepass nor consoles are mentioned.

Very interesting. I would love to see Valve try to open another studio in New Zealand. I really feel like Valve hasn't had enough employees for what all they do for a very long time.

I'm really interested in brain interface too. Seems like a super interesting technology, I can't wait to see what all it will do not just for gaming but for every day life.

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC from earlier reports, he was in New Zealand when the US had only a few Covid cases and just decided to stay there.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Very interesting. I would love to see Valve try to open another studio in New Zealand. I really feel like Valve hasn't had enough employees for what all they do for a very long time.

I'm really interested in brain interface too. Seems like a super interesting technology, I can't wait to see what all it will do not just for gaming but for every day life.

I won't be able to see the video until later, so excuse me if I'm mixing things.

Concerning New Zealand, Xbox twittead something... I don't know if it could be related.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So he's just going to chill in New Zealand for a year? đź‘€
well he can, he has the money

What is interesting is that Valve and Weta have been quite tight in the past, with some employees having worked for both. I could see something happening with that.

I won't be able to see the video until later, so excuse me if I'm mixing things.

Concerning New Zealand, Xbox twittead something... I don't know if it could be related.

Coordinates point to the Underwater observatory in queenstown, new zealand

Last edited:

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC2 is going to be announced at the Game Awards, finnally.