• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Something I do find interesting is Mr. Newell's supposed participation in this call.

It just doesn't seem like something he or Valve would have any kind of participation in to me.

edit: Although I guess Valve worked with Mr. Keighley on the Summer Games Fest thing already this year.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
What if it's some kind of Game Pass Lite that's just MS exclusive games at a lower cost instead of the full GP library with third party titles?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something I do find interesting is Mr. Newell's supposed participation in this call.

It just doesn't seem like something he or Valve would have any kind of participation in to me.
Isn't HL VR up for GOTY? Might also be because Geoff S rank clout, so can get Gabe and Phil on the same call.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Oh yeah this is just probably for Game Awards. Doubt there is any joint Valve and MS news.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
my own hopes- likely to be dasshed in favour of some Valve game announcements for the stuff of theirs I don't care for (DOTA2/CS GO/ TF2)

Half Life Alyx somehow ported to XSX would be good.
Portal 2 on gamepasss would be good. New Portal even better.
Half Life games remade would be good.
Day of Defeat sequel would be good.
Gabe retiring and selling to MS, well, that would be, sure, why not.

Everything was "damn this would be sick" until the last line, haha.

I sure hope that never happens. MS are cool and all, and I know from a consumer standpoint the way Valve works can be often frustrating (the stuff you want to see supported never getting supported quite as much as you want - which seems to be your complaint as well), but their methods are unique and have really pushed the industry forward in ways I don't think anyone else is quite up to the table to replicate, and I'd hate to lose those over something as small as just video games when it comes to the bigger picture.

Valve single handed changed the PC market in non-Asian territories for the better, turning it from what was becoming a joke market rife with a ridiculous amount of piracy into one that companies are actually excited to jump into while still providing immensely consumer friendly features. Valve is THE main company making Linux a better gaming product and doing a great job at it. Valve is really the main company supporting non-Facebook VR technologies and non-Facebook VR companies like HTC, and without them helping out Facebook would have a bigger part in VR than they already do.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like just a chat with fans. Wonder if it will be posted somewhere. I wouldn't mind listening.

Oct 31, 2017
Gamepass on steam will be huuuuge for us ultrawide users since the Xbox PC app won't allow changing the files of the games to make it ultrawide.

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
Phil was the guest for the Zoom call and Gabe called in from New Zealand for the final hour to surprise us all.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never trust anything the valve news network people post. They have never and will never know anything

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Man I know it's nothing but PLEASE put Game Pass on Steam.

I would use it way more if it was on Steam.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Never trust anything the valve news network people post. They have never and will never know anything
They got many of the details of Half-Life Alyx, and a lot they got wrong well before it was announced were actual ideas that were part of it at one point.

VNN doesn't have a 100% track record, but the fact they got so much of Half-Life Alyx right was pretty telling.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They got many of the details of Half-Life Alyx, and a lot they got wrong well before it was announced were actual ideas that were part of it at one point.

VNN doesn't have a 100% track record, but the fact they got so much of Half-Life Alyx right was pretty telling.
I thought they just got all that from twitter? I must be remembering incorrectly.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda feels like Valve is ready to drop something huge after the momentum they had prior to COVID this year

Not this specifically, but generally speaking

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they just got all that from twitter? I must be remembering incorrectly.
The guy literally had test versions of the game on his PC and showed them off post release, regularly has interviews with internal employees etc.
Most of any of the info anyone ever has is via data mining, of which there's none right now so valve news is slow.

If anyone is legit, it's him.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Why is this thread still open? Geoff has been doing these group calls for weeks. Reggie was on one the other day.

It's all about the game awards, there is nothing else to it at all.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
My response is above. Before half life alyx they always seemed to be guessing.
It's just the wild and random nature or data mining basically.
What one person sees, anyone can see so there's not exactly a single source for anything unless you see something before someone else does.

Valve is super tight in terms of actual leaks outside of the data mining itself so yeah, pretty much how you find out about anything from them.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing GP on Steam. Which hell, that might actually get me to sub for GP for more than a month.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I was just thinking the other day about how crazy a Valve acquisition by MS would be and now I'm reading this. LOL

It's probably not a buyout, but still funny.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass on Steam is my guess, which would be amazing. The only reason I don't have a continual sub on Gamepass is because MS's store is not the best AND I love to mod my games.

I don't know how that would work with their 3rd party licenses though. As great as the MS titles on Gamepass are, I wouldn't get a sub if it was just their IP.

I was just thinking the other day about how crazy a Valve acquisition by MS would be and now I'm reading this. LOL

It's probably not a buyout, but still funny.

Man, TECHNICALLY, that could happen since Valve is a private company.

But I don't even want to imagine how much they would cost.

It may be hyperbolic, but they might be worth more than Bethesda. Steam is a money printer.

Again, probably not happening in a million years, but still fun to think about in a terrifying way.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Access to the Windows Store via a tab in Steam Big Picture Mode, bringing us one step closer to a unified console-like UI in the PC space.