• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused about the Fest. I think I don't know how it works. I'll try to word it as best as I can...

Why is the Gamer Summer Fest mentioning/posting every event as their own and incorporating them in their schedule, but none of the companies organizing the events not even mention the summer games fest?

If the next Xbox Inside (e. g) belongs to the Summer Games Fest, why they didn't mentioned?
That could change after the schedule is released. I'd imagine so.
It seems like the event is "Things that would have happened anyway, but now fall under our branding". I mean, 4 months is a long time and everything must be spread thin.

Despite how much we questioned how E3 handled their business, the conferences were so exciting and an actual event. They've given us so many moments. I'm not sure I'm thrilled about losing that. For me, the Game Awards are exciting not for the award winners, but for the new game announcements and trailers. It's like E3-2.

Personally how I'd like to Summer Games Fest handled in the future is everyone gets their own conference, gets to make all of their big announcements that the world tunes in for, the big "opening ceremony" if you will. Then it's followed by 4 months of deep dives into these announcements looking at giving people more information, gameplay, demos etc, then ending it with one big "closing ceremony" with some teases and other last minutes surprises.

I don't see how Summer Games Fest is anything more than a a glorified IGN, or of it's like, for 4 months of a year. Ready to be proved wrong, but it's coming across a little underwhelming.
Well, I know Geoff already said that demos/events were part of the plan, so it wouldn't be far fetched if the publishers wanted to put together deep dives and the like in congregation with this Games Fest. I'm all for it. I just think the main takeaway for this program is so nobody is stepping on anyone else's toes for the next couple of months.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
I think it's a brilliant idea.

It gives the opportunity to consolidate lots of announcements under one banner, which means they can schedule it up-front, and give people some semblance of defined anticipation - much similar to when you visit an Expo. You know what you're getting, you know where to get it, and you know when you'll get it.

I'm not sure the conception/announcement would have worked as well in non-COVID times, but I think going forward it will be sustainable, as (developer/publisher buy-in granted) it will enable people from all over the world - not just people lucky enough to be able to visit expos - an insight and participation in these types of events from their own location, and timeline.

More importantly, without a central theme being set up, we would never get to the same level of interaction, as there would be no commonality, nor desire to do it from the respective publishers.

I for one would much rather have something like this, than not.

Kudos to Geoff.

This is pretty much how I see it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd think devs/pubs appreciate having their content spread out rather than clumped together and potentially overshadowed at E3.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Four months is too long this need to be a week or two max or we just going feel messy and all over more so with others doing they own.

Just need to make that Buzz or get lost with everything else all spread to far apart

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I'm guessing the schedule is going to be like the TV guide. You'll get one (or two) weeks worth revealed at most, then you wait another week for the next week and so on.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the reveals etc. are all going on in the publisher/developer's usual channels, not at a specific location in the world at a specific time and aren't even mentioning this.

That's what I'm not getting. These reveals aren't hosted at the socials of this, or on a localised stream or in a specific building so what's the point of it?
The point is so that all developers can communicate with each other and have a broad understanding of what time and when each publisher is announcing things. That way no one steps on the others shoes and each game is given time to shine. Geoff is acting as the liaison between all parties and organizing a schedule that works for everyone.

Additionally, it's a one stop shop for gamers to go to a site and see all the latest updates and times they can follow conferences/video streams in one place. In this COVID-19 era, it's nice to have a unifying element as it's difficult to keep track of if they are just randomly throughout four months versus E3 being on two specific days.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm a little confused about the Fest. I think I don't know how it works. I'll try to word it as best as I can...

Why is the Gamer Summer Fest mentioning/posting every event as their own and incorporating them in their schedule, but none of the companies organizing the events not even mention the summer games fest?

If the next Xbox Inside (e. g) belongs to the Summer Games Fest, why they didn't mentioned?
It's basically a promotional tool. But that works one way.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
People including me seem confused about how this is gonna work as publishers are going to reveal their games etc regardless. But I guess Geoff will just have some guests from various publishers and talk to them after each reveal like after the Xbox this Thursday and that EA event too. If he got some exclusive look that would be an option too.

So basically similar to what IGN would do in addition to some exclusive looks.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
Four months is too long this need to be a week or two max or we just going feel messy and all over more so with others doing they own.

Just need to make that Buzz or get lost with everything else all spread to far apart

he said it was difficult to just get publishers to agree to a new event. Can you imagine how hard it would have been to nail them down to a specific time frame? Wasn't gonna happen

And sure you could say why not just take over the exact e3 slot people were already planning for but of course working from home has changed a lot of companies abilities so...

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Fair to assume that Bluepoint will come under the PlayStation 'conference'? Dying to see what they've got lined up, and then be put out of my misery that it won't be Demon's Souls.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Fair to assume that Bluepoint will come under the PlayStation 'conference'? Dying to see what they've got lined up, and then be put out of my misery that it won't be Demon's Souls.

Very likely. Their PS5 title is going to be a thing of beauty for sure. According to them "It aims to define the visual benchmark for next gen hardware", so you can only imagine. http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/01/bluepoint_games_ps5_project_aims_to_define_the_visual_benchmark_for_next-gen

nH2gRmh.gif

696641F14A7853706B590E8932E445D4E56911CB

shadowofthecolossus_2wcovz.png

Last edited:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Very likely. Their PS5 title is going to be a thing of beauty for sure. According to them "It aims to define the visual benchmark for next gen hardware", so you can only imagine. http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/01/bluepoint_games_ps5_project_aims_to_define_the_visual_benchmark_for_next-gen

nH2gRmh.gif

696641F14A7853706B590E8932E445D4E56911CB

shadowofthecolossus_2wcovz.png

What always struck me as weird is associating these statements with the rumors of the Demons' Souls remake. Like, I would never expect DS to be a graphical showcase.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The point is so that all developers can communicate with each other and have a broad understanding of what time and when each publisher is announcing things. That way no one steps on the others shoes and each game is given time to shine. Geoff is acting as the liaison between all parties and organizing a schedule that works for everyone.

Additionally, it's a one stop shop for gamers to go to a site and see all the latest updates and times they can follow conferences/video streams in one place. In this COVID-19 era, it's nice to have a unifying element as it's difficult to keep track of if they are just randomly throughout four months versus E3 being on two specific days.
To me it just seems like he's created a hub site/twitter account which is no different to IGN, Youtube's E3 hub or any other thing. The developers/publishers aren't mentioning his thing in their reveals, he's just clamping on to them and quote tweeting.

I'm sorry but to me this is pointless

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me it just seems like he's created a hub site/twitter account which is no different to IGN, Youtube's E3 hub or any other thing. The developers/publishers aren't mentioning his thing in their reveals, he's just clamping on to them and quote tweeting.

IGN posts waves and waves of bullshit completely unrelated to anything you want to know on a daily basis. I don't have time to wade through that crap. This basically filters all the nonsense out and simply you informs you of all the details that would have been announced at E3.

It's essentially the E3 recap thread on Resetera. I was thankful for that before and I'm thankful for this now.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I'm still not understanding the point of this. The reveals were going to happen regardless.
Central repository and hub for all of the reveals, rather than googling what's been revealed over the summer and getting links to 2,000 articles that present the information in varying ways with a variety of GDPR cookies-accepting buttons and a variety of advertisements and a variety of opinions. I'm down with having a no-nonsense central site to get the raw information I want.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I wish someone with the clout that Geoff has could use it to create something like that for indie games, which could use the advertising. Seems a bit redundant for big AAA companies, which already have huge advertisement campaigns and research going. But I guess the latter is what returns the money spent.

the_fastbuck

Oct 28, 2017
Central repository and hub for all of the reveals, rather than googling what's been revealed over the summer and getting links to 2,000 articles that present the information in varying ways with a variety of GDPR cookies-accepting buttons and a variety of advertisements and a variety of opinions. I'm down with having a no-nonsense central site to get the raw information I want.

plus playable demos and streams exclusive to Keighleys thing. it is really hard to understand people who would like to pre-shit on this. it's new, let's wait and see how it all turns out. then - if you really have the urge to - you can still post-shit on this concept.

BhetjaXIV

Sep 8, 2018
Belgium

Have you read what Geoff said?

This is not pointless, it'll come with playable content shared to the public and will serve as a hub for everything else taking place during that period.

It's not just "streams".
I don't get why people are getting butthurt about this? Don't want this then fine, don't give the click and go see the content or a summary of the content somewhere else?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah when everyone is doing directs, I can see why a Central Hub like the Summer Games Festival is a good idea.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Have you read what Geoff said?

This is not pointless, it'll come with playable content shared to the public and will serve as a hub for everything else taking place during that period.

It's not just "streams".
I don't get why people are getting butthurt about this? Don't want this then fine, don't give the click and go see the content or a summary of the content somewhere else?
So content that would have been distributed regardless?

Demoes don't come out of midair. All of this was being planned. That's what I'm getting at. It just seems unnecessary and one-way

Oct 24, 2019
Geoff didn't give a window. All he said was Tuesday.

Hm... I wonder if that means there's one last big news drop today before it goes live ;)

Maybe just wishful thinking. But my prediction that we would get more events announced today (TLOU 2 trailer, Xbox July event, Cyberpunk June evernt) came true, hence why Geoff chose to wait until today for the calendar update. Fingers crossed!

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Hm... I wonder if that means there's one last big news drop today before it goes live ;)

Maybe just wishful thinking. But my prediction that we would get more events announced today (TLOU 2 trailer, Xbox July event, Cyberpunk June evernt) came true, hence why Geoff chose to wait until today for the calendar update. Fingers crossed!
I have a feeling that these were the only announcements of the day and when Geoff drops the calendar, that's all we'll see.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.

Have to agree, sadly. It seems like all of these announcements were going to happen anyway? And its not like the publishers themselves are announcing things within the rubric of the Game Fest... they are just announcing new info and then the Game Fest account retweets and claims it as "part of Game Fest". Seems sort of ad-hoc.

We'll see if there does end up being some kind of centralized show or announcements I suppose.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Killing my vibe man lol. Yeah, you're probably right though.

WB, if you're listening, shadow drop a digital stream right now!
Lol I don't mean to be the bad guy, I just don't wanna see people get their hopes up and crushed as mine have the past 5 years.

As for WB, I think we'll see their announcements more spread out than in one digital stream. They've dropped Lego Star Wars info and have an MK11 reveal tomorrow. Usually those things would've been saved for a conference.

Oct 24, 2019
Lol I don't mean to be the bad guy, I just don't wanna see people get their hopes up and crushed as mine have the past 5 years.

As for WB, I think we'll see their announcements more spread out than in one digital stream. They've dropped Lego Star Wars info and have an MK11 reveal tomorrow. Usually those things would've been saved for a conference.

Good point.

That brings me back to a convo we had before though-- I remember you said WB typically doesn't like showing their games at other people's events. So if they're not saving tidbits of info like Lego Star Wars and MK11 for their own conference, the question is: do you think they'll just randomly announce stuff like Batman, Rocksteady game, Harry Potter, etc. separate from everything else? Or will they piggyback on Sony/Microsoft events?

Personally I'm still thinking we see the two DC games split up, one at Sony, one at Microsoft, and HP is a wild card.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Good point.

That brings me back to a convo we had before though-- I remember you said WB typically doesn't like showing their games at other people's events. So if they're not saving tidbits of info like Lego Star Wars and MK11 for their own conference, the question is: do you think they'll just randomly announce stuff like Batman, Rocksteady game, Harry Potter, etc. separate from everything else? Or will they piggyback on Sony/Microsoft events?

Personally I'm still thinking we see the two DC games split up, one at Sony, one at Microsoft, and HP is a wild card.
I think they just drop the info on random days instead of doing their own conference or going to either Xbox or PlayStation. That's just going based off what they just did with Lego Star Wars and MK11.

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
I wish someone with the clout that Geoff has could use it to create something like that for indie games, which could use the advertising. Seems a bit redundant for big AAA companies, which already have huge advertisement campaigns and research going. But I guess the latter is what returns the money spent.
We are working on this!

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
So he is waiting for something...?

Just to set expectations , we are not announcing every event across the entire summer today. The initial schedules events will be going up today with the ability to set reminders. Things will be announced on a rolling basis....a lot of this is being built in real time with the publishers.

I am also going to be doing some pre/post shows for events with guests/etc., just like the old E3 times. More on that soon!

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Just to set expectations , we are not announcing every event across the entire summer today. The initial schedules events will be going up today with the ability to set reminders. Things will be announced on a rolling basis....a lot of this is being built in real time with the publishers.

I am also going to be doing some pre/post shows for events with guests/etc., just like the old E3 times. More on that soon!
Thank you for your hard work!

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I just have one expectation. Just one:

You and Reggie interacting. <3

Oct 24, 2019
I think they just drop the info on random days instead of doing their own conference or going to either Xbox or PlayStation. That's just going based off what they just did with Lego Star Wars and MK11.

If that's the case, then they could strike a pretty nice cadence with one big announcement per month. Batman in May, Rocksteady in June, Harry Potter in July, Hitman 3 in August (randomly ordered, but you get the idea)

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
If that's the case, then they could strike a pretty nice cadence with one big announcement per month. Batman in May, Rocksteady in June, Harry Potter in July, Hitman 3 in August (randomly ordered, but you get the idea)
There's still hope that they do some digital presentation. Until they say something (which is rare af) we'll never know.