• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god I asked a question about WB revealing games and refreshed the page to like 100 comments already haha

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's cool to have one giant hub that hosts and promotes these publisher-centred events, so we could have a let's say WB showcase, and when it ends you tune in to Geoff's site and you get interviews with directors, behind the scenes, developer walkthroughs and so on, without having to navigate multiple sites.

I hope this means that from next week onwards we get at least one big gaming news each week till August, and after that we will kick in with pre-next gen period.

Sit at the table boys, we eatin' soon.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
it was not "video games news christmas" it was a marketing event showing stuff that won´t be available for years. on top of it, most of what was shown looked better there than the end product.

good that this thing is gone. video games should be revealed closer to their release dates and not years in advance.
Most games weren't shown years in advance, only the big tent pole first party titles were that way because that's what drew eyes to get people to look at their smaller stuff.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, E3 is now deader than dead.

He scheduled it such that it encompasses the entire E3 leak/show/post-show season. There's nearly no reason to have E3 if the big announcements are all going to be here. Even Xbox is on board!

Crazy. Based Geoff.

Last edited:

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Well someone has been very busy during lockdown. Looking forward to this, thank you Geoff and team for this blessed gift :D

Nov 23, 2017
I love me some Geoff Keighley. He's worked his ass off for years and has learned so many lessons in this industry. Anything he can do to replace E3, I will at least give a shot to.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Well thank god, looks like we will see wb Montreal's new game or rocksteady's in phase 1.

they both must be tied to next gen at this point, I am willing to bet anything that rocksteady is next gen only but I still feel like wb Montreal's Batman game is cross gen but Sony or Microsoft have the rights to show it during there e3 like show coming up. Much like how Microsoft showed off black flag on Xbox one during e3 2013

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sony, Microsoft, and CD Projekt Red? Wow. Depending on how much these companies commit, this could be huge. Rooting for Geoff!

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think I prefer something like this to an E3 style everything in a week event because more games can be in the spotlight for longer, even smaller ones. Instead of being on a Sony/Microsoft indie sizzle reel maybe they'll get a lot more attention, maybe even a demo. Sounds cool.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
EbsOPTC.jpg
Oh shitt!!

What's E3...I don't know her..

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, because I see plenty of surface-level takes, let's talk about why this has potential to be something new and exciting.
  • We will realistically have a schedule for each day and time for each announcement, including Twitch / YouTube links
  • We will likely have a central repository for each studio / developer / publisher and the content they showcase for the event
    • Cannot overstate the importance of this; I find it to be a bit of a battle sometimes to gather all of the information from E3, especially when there is a brand new topic for every single announcement here
  • Publishers won't be pressured into having their presentation be the [BIG OL WACKY MOMENT] because they'll have their own day and moment, rather than trying to stick out over a one-week dump of gaming information
  • This is the industry's opportunity to finally move on from stage presentations to digital distribution of console and game information
    • Note: I am still down with the idea of playable demos, but the idea of having a lame stage presentation to showcase a new console or a new game is wholly unnecessary; The Nintendo Direct method is the present and future
Thats what I got from it. Also so more pre E3 leaks.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Very confused. I'm really not sure how this is different than normal videogame reporting. I guess it has a shiny shell? But what's the point? I guess there will be some in-game events or something on some GaaS, but...dunno. Seems pointless, especially when a lot of these companies can and already do their own thing.

I'd get it if it were a couple weeks, or a month. A new mini-conference every week for a month. But four months...?

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I love the idea, I just wish it wouldn't span on 4 months, but more like 2 to 3 weeks.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
What is the difference between this and all the companies just doing their own direct-like events? Apart from a fancy name and theme that is.

That would be my question. Because it being spread over 4 months deflates any interest I would have in this. Maybe it's the demos?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
call me old fashioned but back in my day summer was three months

looking forward to this, expecting some neat stuff

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting idea for a hype news hub of sorts, as long as attention is given to the smaller games too.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I personally like this a lot. The "pressure" of needing to have something to show every year before a specific week for E3 was a bit too much and it sometimes resulted in really dumb conferences with barely anything to see.

Having a bigger timeframe for announcements should be healthier for trailers and the way they present that content, I think. We'll see how it goes, though.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Publishers may end up loving it, but most fans would probably prefer a big week of announcements instead of over the course of four months.

What is the difference between this and all the companies just doing their own direct-like events? Apart from a fancy name and theme that is.

That would be my question. Because it being spread over 4 months deflates any interest I would have in this. Maybe it's the demos?
It's not. This is basically just marketing for publisher events.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
  • This is the industry's opportunity to finally move on from stage presentations to digital distribution of console and game information
    • Note: I am still down with the idea of playable demos, but the idea of having a lame stage presentation to showcase a new console or a new game is wholly unnecessary; The Nintendo Direct method is the present and future
Keanu Reeves disagrees

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Well thank god, looks like we will see wb Montreal's new game or rocksteady's in phase 1.

they both must be tied to next gen at this point, I am willing to bet anything that rocksteady is next gen only but I still feel like wb Montreal's Batman game is cross gen but Sony or Microsoft have the rights to show it during there e3 like show coming up. Much like how Microsoft showed off black flag on Xbox one during e3 2013
Both were supposed to be shown at their press conference, so I think both will be shown here. Idk how this is gonna work though. Is it like one announcement from each publisher a week or will publisher's get their own special conference?

And this is off topic, but where is the pic from your avatar from? It's dope, I wanna put it on my phone background.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting idea for a hype news hub of sorts, as long as attention is given to the smaller games too.

That seems to be a very important point for Geoff

Keighley believes that bringing in smaller companies alongside them is key to amplifying their voices as well, especially for those studios that wouldn't otherwise have the money to either attend an E3 or put on their own digital event.

"When PlayStation talks about its next console, don't worry. People are gonna know about it. But if you're an independent developer or smaller developer, that's where I think you could really get lost. Those are the games you need to run into at a kiosk at E3 or hear about in the hallway. That's what I'm trying to figure out how to simulate through some of this playable stuff."

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm in - E3 has been becoming less relevant over the last couple of years and this also gives smaller games a chance to shine.

Oh and a schedule for the next 4 months!