• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
This was a huge shock to wake up to this morning. He was one of my favorites for casting Starcraft 2. May he Rest In Peace.

Thekiddfran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This has hit me hard. I never seen his work in eSports but was one of the big players in the Warhammer 40k scene. He was also a rules tester for GW. I loved every podcast he was in about 40k and I laughed at all of his jokes. Terrible news. The fragility of life is real

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
This hit me double hard. I've been a fan of his for such a long time. When he was captain of team evil geniuses. Then he went into casting and as he got into 40k it was awesome to see some one i had followed from one hobby of mine also get into another. Now there just feels like there is two huge holes missing. Beyond sad right now.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
What a fuckin thing to come home too. First Etika, and now this...

R.I.P. Geoff. One of the best Starcraft commentators.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hadn't followed SC in the past couple years, but am so saddened to hear about his passing. He was such a wonderful presence in any thing he commentated/participated in.

RIP InControl.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Yeah, watching Day9, all the funny clips, remembering all the great stuff he did.

People also want Blizzard to keep his name on the NA GM ladder, just add one more spot, that's a really good idea tbh. He was always there, even years after transitioning away from a pro player, he still kept up with the state of the game, one of the few SC2 personalities that was always at the top level.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This is so awful, I can't quite process it. I've spent so many hours watching him in competitive games, streaming, in the EG house, commentating... 😢

The SC scene won't be the same without him. RIP.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
This is so awful, I can't quite process it. I've spent so many hours watching him in competitive games, streaming, in the EG house, commentating... 😢
Yeah.. like I'm 26 now, and god did I watch so much of him through the years starting during my early teens. Really hit me earlier today how long I've known of him and how much he's been in my life along with the other starcraft personalities starting with SC1, like damn.

Fucking sucks. :(

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Though I wasn't aware of him prior to hearing this sad news, once I went back and watched some of his content, I see why he'll be so sorely missed. RIP.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, watching Day9, all the funny clips, remembering all the great stuff he did.

People also want Blizzard to keep his name on the NA GM ladder, just add one more spot, that's a really good idea tbh. He was always there, even years after transitioning away from a pro player, he still kept up with the state of the game, one of the few SC2 personalities that was always at the top level.
Blizzard did a great thing to memorialize Dennis "INTERNETHULK" Hawelka in Overwatch after his tragic passing, I hope they do the same for Geoff.

Oct 25, 2017
He and the SC2 community was very much a big part of my life from like 2010 - 2013.

I used to watch SOTG every week and was always excited as hell for sc2 tourneys, would wake up at like 4am to catch the Korean leagues.

Geoff was easily the funniest and most charismatic person in the scene, from his streaming/hosting to DnD with JP, he brought me so much damn entertainment over the years.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
That Day9 stream was emotional and beautiful.

Watched the tail end of his stream. Now I am a mess. God life is great and terrible at the same time. Great for giving us people like Geoff and Sean and terrible for taking people away when we leased expect it. I am just some guy who watched Geoff for years and I'm a mess, and I cannot imagine his close friends and family at this moment.

Just shitty :(

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Damn, this was a shock to the system. I still follow the SC2 scene and Geoff was an important part of it. I'm really saddened by this news.

RIP Geoff

OP
OP
Dio

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
edited op with this, but for whoever is watching the thread, the cause of his death was revealed:

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not big into the SC community, but I used to watch TotalBiscuit's podcast and Geoff was a somewhat regular guest. He was without a doubt my favorite guest on the show and any time an episode featured him I made sure to watch as soon as I could. He was a genuinely funny and insightful person.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Sad to hear this. Didn't really know him but blood clots are a serious problem. They are becoming more common in the community. People should be aware of the seriousness of them.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
He had a blood clot in his leg a while back due to extended duration of sitting. I wonder if it's related. Stretch a bit every few hours people. Blood clots are no joke. Former Racing Director of Formula 1 Charlie Whiting also passed away due to this earlier this year.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Sad to hear this. Didn't really know him but blood clots are a serious problem. They are becoming more common in the community. People should be aware of the seriousness of them.
He had a blood clot in his leg a while back due to extended duration of sitting. I wonder if it's related. Stretch a bit every few hours people. Blood clots are no joke. Former Racing Director of Formula 1 Charlie Whiting also passed away due to this earlier this year.

Apparently Geoff was super aware of the risks and did everything he could to prevent clot, he had one in 2013.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
What?! Nonononononono not like this.... not at all. :/ day ruined. Week ruined

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Wow.

I'm not familiar with Geoff, but how sad and tragic. My heart goes out to his family and friends. So young too. Just really awful. I don't even know what else to say.

RIP

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
EAHs6Y7XUAAL606

Strippin posted this without much commentary, and I followed the thread to find out about Geoffs death. Thought I'd include it here, because it oozes happiness.
Such a funny and seemingly wonderful man, so young.
I'm not the praying type, but all the positive thoughts I can muster go to his family and friends. Fucking tragedy.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Geoff was super aware of the risks and did everything he could to prevent clot, he had one in 2013.

Oh wow, that's awful. I feel for his friends and family.

My wife also had a blood clot in her leg a few years back (granted it was caused as a side effect of her birth control) and the doctor told her pretty much the same thing: she was lucky it got stuck in her leg otherwise she probably wouldn't be here today. Scary shit.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Caught day9s stream yesterday and it was emotional to say the least. I watched a lot of SC2 when it first came out and obviously iNcontroL was involved in some of that. Really funny dude and seemed just an all round stand up person. It was heartbreaking watching day9 yesterday who was completely cut up but it was also very cathartic as his audience really helped him, he needed his stream community yesterday and they came out in force including people he says he hasn't spoken to in a long time. It was kinda beautiful honestly.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Jesus, InControl :(

Rest in piece. I loved the content he and the crew produced during the SCII's golden age (2010/11/12?) . Damn :(

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Dan (Artosis) posted a thread (i'm only posting the first post here) on twitter about his passing. I can't imagine how much this hurts for him, knowing how good friends they were.

Oct 25, 2017
Dan (Artosis) posted a thread (i'm only posting the first post here) on twitter about his passing. I can't imagine how much this hurts for him, knowing how good friends they were.

This one was rough to read. It's exactly the event(s) I was referring to in my earlier post ITT. Like, yeah Dan - I can only imagine how much fun you guys had being there considering how much fun it was to watch <3

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
EAHs6Y7XUAAL606

Strippin posted this without much commentary, and I followed the thread to find out about Geoffs death. Thought I'd include it here, because it oozes happiness.
Such a funny and seemingly wonderful man, so young.
I'm not the praying type, but all the positive thoughts I can muster go to his family and friends. Fucking tragedy.

Holy shit, imagine they lost two friends from this picture... Jesus :(

Blood clots are so fucking scary. They just happen and your dead. Horrible. I must take breaks from sitting in front of the computer more often...

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to believe it was the blood clot. Geoff was always fit and got up and exercised.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
It's hard to believe it was the blood clot. Geoff was always fit and got up and exercised.

I do not want to play armchair doctor here, but he had a clot a few years back also. I do not know if he was in medication or not. I had one when I was 20 years old, I was VERY lucky to not have gotten to the lungs or brain, turns out I got a hereditary mutation of the genes that predisposes this. I have been on blood thinners ever since. This story right here with him is the nightmare that just barely avoided me. Anyway, moving around is sadly just one of the many factors. People can get it from drinking less water than ideal, or going on an airplane, etc. Heck, post-workout there is a higher chance of clot formation as well near your muscles.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
He was hilarious and positive, and I am pretty sure he was starting to work with Games Workshop because he was way into Warhammer 40k. I was looking forward to him doing the announcing for NA tournaments.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I do not want to play armchair doctor here, but he had a clot a few years back also. I do not know if he was in medication or not. I had one when I was 20 years old, I was VERY lucky to not have gotten to the lungs or brain, turns out I got a hereditary mutation of the genes that predisposes this. I have been on blood thinners ever since. This story right here with him is the nightmare that just barely avoided me. Anyway, moving around is sadly just one of the many factors. People can get it from drinking less water than ideal, or going on an airplane, etc. Heck, post-workout there is a higher chance of clot formation as well near your muscles.
Blood clots seem incredibly nebulous. Scary shit.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Wow can't believe this. Rip. I was just went on Reddit and saw the thread. I'm in shock. Just watched last weeks pylon show yesterday and had no idea.

Sc2 won't be the same without him. Fun and positive guy.

That sotg clip with artosis playing against Terran and building every unit against him is one of the best clips with all those guys together.