• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017

Best Game of 2020 - Android Apps on Google Play

Enjoy millions of the latest Android apps, games, music, movies, TV, books, magazines & more. Anytime, anywhere, across your devices.

Best Game of 2020

Any title crowned Best Game has to exceed expectations and deliver compelling, accessible, genre-defining experiences. Thankfully, this year's winner does all this without missing a beat. Our Best Game of 2020 is:

Genshin Impact

Bound through rolling fields and bustling cities, soaking up majestic views from towering heights. The vast open world of Teyvat is yours to explore as you gather a team of intrepid travelers and search for knowledge on commanding the elements. Genshin Impact blew us away with its sheer scale and ambition. Recruit characters and fight together in a richly detailed, utterly beautiful world. Combat is fast and fluid, with each fight a spectacle to behold. Quite simply, this is the best game we've played this year.

Deserved. Best game with the best hunky dudes that gets better and better with every patch.

Tomorrow we get Zhongli and Xinyan. Get hyped and join us today!

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it is the best playing gacha game out there.

It's also the most predatory gacha game...but...at least there's a decent enough game in front of all that.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, it is the best playing gacha game out there.

It's also the most predatory gacha game...but...at least there's a decent enough game in front of all that.

I've only played like a dozen gachas or so in my lifetime and there is absolutely no way this is the most predatory of gacha.

The most predatory gacha I've played is FIFA and some of the other sports games. If you want to keep up at the highest levels you have to spend. Genshin doesn't even have the concept of PVP implemented.

Anyway Genshin deserves it. It's a great game. The only money I've spent has been for the $5 monthly pass just because I'd like to put some money into the game because I'm enjoying it that much.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

My dude, have you SEEN those draw percentages?

They're unreal. They're the worst I've ever seen.

I've only played like a dozen gachas or so in my lifetime and there is absolutely no way this is the most predatory of gacha.

The most predatory gacha I've played is FIFA and some of the other sports games. If you want to keep up at the highest levels you have to spend. Genshin doesn't even have the concept of PVP implemented.

Anyway Genshin deserves it. It's a great game. The only money I've spent has been for the $5 monthly pass just because I'd like to put some money into the game because I'm enjoying it that much.

I wouldn't even count FIFA as its gacha system is a completely separate mode that can be ignored. You choose to engage with EA's bullshit.

You CANNOT play Genshin Impact and not interact with its gambling system.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't even count FIFA as it's gacha system is a completely separate mode that can be ignored. You choose to engage with EA's bullshit.

You CANNOT play Genshin Impact and not interact with its gambling system.

The thing is with Genshin you don't NEED any character. This isn't like other gacha that have PVP or are constantly pushing you to spend.

This game as opposed to something like FGO has pity counters, if you save up and roll you will eventually get something. You could play something like FGO for 3 years and get jack shit.

I think I'd prefer if this was a $60 game but I've spent $10 so far and gotten hundreds of hours of it. To me its everything I wanted and didn't get out of a BOTW.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yes I have. There is worse out there for sure

There's one where the upper limit of a SSR equvilant is .03%?

Because I've NEVER seen that shit.

If the only thing predatory is the draw percentages then it's absolutely not the most predatory gacha game lmao.

I've seen some real hell, heck I'm going through FGO right now.
Even FGO is reported at a upper limit of 1%

Among Us got robbed af

Among Us is technically 2018 right?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to do something like this and only pick one game with no other categories. If you do that of course it's going to be the biggest, most successful game of the year. Seems like a real missed opportunity from the Play Store to not elevate some lesser known titles.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Yes I have. There is worse out there for sure
Actually Genshin has one of the lowest draw rates

Here is a list to compare from Siliconera https://www.siliconera.com/low-genshin-impact-gacha-rates-are-one-of-its-greatest-failings/

• Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius: Bear with me, because this game gets a bit weird. Its basic five-stars have an 8.75% chance of dropping. However, in 2020 it introduced Neo Vision units that have a 1.25% rate.
  • Azur Lane: You have a 7% chance of pulling an SR shipgirl.
  • Fire Emblem Heroes: On a standard banner, you have a 6% chance for pulling a five-star unit. However, some special banners have an 8% starting rate.
  • Tales of Crestoria: The gacha rate for an SSR character is 5%.
  • Dragalia Lost: You have a 4% chance of getting a five-star adventurer or dragon on a banner.
  • Granblue Fantasy: You have a 3% chance of getting a five-star SSR character.
  • SINoALICE: This is another game with a 3% drop rate for its SR weapons, which could very well unlock a new character class.
  • Arknights: On a basic banner, the six-star operator rate is 2%.
  • Fate/Grand Order: You have a 1% chance of pulling a five-star Servant when summoning.
  • Genshin Impact: You have a 0.6% chance of pulling a five-star character.

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
There's one where the upper limit of a SSR equvilant is .03%?

Because I've NEVER seen that shit.

Even FGO is reported at a upper limit of 1%
You missed a decimal point. It's 0.3%, and FGO is 0.7%, and it doesn't have a pity. With pity, it's actually better.

Talking rate up, because that's all that matters.

Similar story with base rate.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The thing is with Genshin you don't NEED any character. This isn't like other gacha that have PVP or are constantly pushing you to spend.

This game as opposed to something like FGO has pity counters, if you save up and roll you will eventually get something. You could play something like FGO for 3 years and get jack shit.

I think I'd prefer if this was a $60 game but I've spent $10 so far and gotten hundreds of hours of it. To me its everything I wanted and didn't get out of a BOTW.

I mean the pity counters are still...what...45 pulls? at 1.99 a pull? (I'm honestly not sure on that monetary figure, I can't remember the numbers).

You missed a decimal point. It's 0.3%, and FGO is 0.7%, and it doesn't have a pity. With pity, it's actually better.

I mean I will stand corrected, but if your telling me that I shouldn't consider it predatory because it has the SECOND worst draw rate out of all gatchas on the market AFTER its pity system kicks in, I'm not trying to hear that.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Actually Genshin has one of the lowest draw rates

Here is a list to compare from Siliconera https://www.siliconera.com/low-genshin-impact-gacha-rates-are-one-of-its-greatest-failings/

• Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius: Bear with me, because this game gets a bit weird. Its basic five-stars have an 8.75% chance of dropping. However, in 2020 it introduced Neo Vision units that have a 1.25% rate.
  • Azur Lane: You have a 7% chance of pulling an SR shipgirl.
  • Fire Emblem Heroes: On a standard banner, you have a 6% chance for pulling a five-star unit. However, some special banners have an 8% starting rate.
  • Tales of Crestoria: The gacha rate for an SSR character is 5%.
  • Dragalia Lost: You have a 4% chance of getting a five-star adventurer or dragon on a banner.
  • Granblue Fantasy: You have a 3% chance of getting a five-star SSR character.
  • SINoALICE: This is another game with a 3% drop rate for its SR weapons, which could very well unlock a new character class.
  • Arknights: On a basic banner, the six-star operator rate is 2%.
  • Fate/Grand Order: You have a 1% chance of pulling a five-star Servant when summoning.
  • Genshin Impact: You have a 0.6% chance of pulling a five-star character.
Granblue Fantasy is actually 6% twice a month, which is the only time anyone ever draws. Same with Dragalia.

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I will stand corrected, but if your telling me that I shouldn't consider it predatory because it has the SECOND worst draw rate out of all gatchas on the market, I'm not trying to hear that.
All gacha is predatory. What matters more than the rates are things like feeling a need to pull due to things like PVP or guild content that puts pressure on you, amount of currency given, whether or not there are things like monthly packs, if there's a pity, what kind of pity, and so on.

Rates tell only one part of the story.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It's a really fun game, don't get me wrong...But I was so relieved after I broke free from this game. I got sucked into the daily loop for a month or two. And you don't really realize how much time the game is sucking up in a day until you stop. I'll probably hop back in eventually.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I want to jump in but saw a poster saying only 2 out of 7 planned areas have been released?

Think I'll wait until the full map is out

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I mean the pity counters are still...what...45 pulls? at 1.99 a pull? (I'm honestly not sure on that monetary figure, I can't remember the numbers).

I mean I will stand corrected, but if your telling me that I shouldn't consider it predatory because it has the SECOND worst draw rate out of all gatchas on the market AFTER its pity system kicks in, I'm not trying to hear that.
No one is saying you can't call it predatory

Just that it's not the most predatory

Which is what you said at the beginning and started this whole thing with

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I want to jump in but saw a poster saying only 2 out of 7 planned areas have been released?

Think I'll wait until the full map is out
You'll be waiting many years.

I wouldn't wait. There's dozens of hours of content right now, and each region has its own self-contained story. Plus there are limited time events. The one we just had was incredible and 1.2, which is out at the end of December, looks amazing.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
All gacha is predatory.

YES.

What matters more than the rates are things like feeling a need to pull due to things like PVP or guild content that puts pressure on you, amount of currency given, whether or not there are things like monthly packs, if there's a pity, what kind of pity, and so on.

Rates tell only one part of the story.

Granted, I will admit, I straight up don't have the knowledge of other games monthly systems. The fact that GI has two monthly subscriptions which don't do very much to raise the draw rates from their allotted buy ins doesn't make me see their inclusion as justified though.

I can't tell you what to do, but everything about GI's business model makes my skin crawl.

No one is saying you can't call it predatory

Just that it's not the most predatory

Which is what you said at the beginning and started this whole thing with

Again, I'll admit that may not be the MOST predatory.

Second most predatory isn't exactly a glowing endorsement though. It makes me wonder how the business model will change once CO-OP is running in a way where host rotation doesn't need to be considered.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
My dude, have you SEEN those draw percentages?

They're unreal. They're the worst I've ever seen.
Draw percentages in a vaccum don't mean much... but yeah it's not pretty ( thought I couldn't say how much worst/better it is in comparaison to most other gacha ).

The game has bad % and only gives you 1 pull every 3 days from dailies.

And the whole constellation system is only tied to pulls, compared to some(?) other gacha ( at least Illusion connect ) also allow you to progress it ( albeit slowly ) through other mean in game.

I only tried Illusion Connect because people were claiming it was generous compared to Genshin, and while I most definitely think Genshin is a far better game ( quickly dropped IC, it lack gameplay like most gacha imho ) I can't deny how generous it felt in comparison.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
YES.

Granted, I will admit, I straight up don't have the knowledge of other games monthly systems. The fact that GI has two monthly subscriptions which don't do very much to raise the draw rates from their allotted buy ins doesn't make me see their inclusion as justified though.

I can't tell you what to do, but everything about GI's business model makes my skin crawl.
Genshin Impact is absolutely one of the most predatory games out there in a space that is already inherently predatory, don't let the game being actually good fool you on that. If you are someone who might be susceptible to these kinds of practices, I would recommend you to stay the hell away.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Genshin Impact is absolutely one of the most predatory games out there in a space that is already inherently predatory, don't let the game being actually good fool you on that.

This is all I'm saying.

If you have any inkling, EVEN THE TINIEST AMOUNT OF WORRY, that you may have some sort of gambling problem, DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
So I've not touched Genshin Impact until now - how is the game? Like, is there a story to it, is it just regular gacha or...like, is it worth playing?

Also, does the mobile version have controller support yet?

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even nearly the second most. It's not even in the top 10%. Probably not in the top 25%, but I'm not gonna break down the hundreds of gacha/mobile games I've played.

RAID makes you pay to win events. Straight up. Like "spend $1000 on the gacha to get 1000 points in the event" level of pay to win.

Every "fort builder" makes you dump thousands to speed up timers.

Epic Seven (and the dozens of other PVP gacha) require you to spend money to keep up with the meta.

Dozens of gacha have no pity. You can spend thousands and not get the character you want. In Genshin, there is a hard cap. It's high, but theoretically thousands less than a game without a pity.

Like I said. Rates are one part of the equation. You can play the entirety of events and story with just the free characters the game gives you. In fact, the game just had an event where they gave arguably the strongest character in the game who is also probably the most popular.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So I've not touched Genshin Impact until now - how is the game? Like, is there a story to it, is it just regular gacha or...like, is it worth playing?

Also, does the mobile version have controller support yet?

Personally I couldn't stick with the game because the story didn't hook me.

Gameplay is fine though, it's an action game.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda silly they hand out this award in November when it should cover all of 2020, with a top contender just weeks away from release, pretty much got robbed now. But okay, congrats Genshin Impact.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
YES.

Again, I'll admit that may not be the MOST predatory.

Second most predatory isn't exactly a glowing endorsement though. It makes me wonder how the business model will change once CO-OP is running in a way where host rotation doesn't need to be considered.
I'm just letting you know why people are having issues with your statement because you seem very confused why word choice matters.

I've never even touched a gacha.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Much deserved. Genshin Impact is my GOTY. I've put a ton of time into it the last few months.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kinda silly they hand out this award in November when it should cover all of 2020, with a top contender just weeks away from release, pretty much got robbed now. But okay, congrats Genshin Impact.
True! December would be packed sakura wars and that horse game could be goty

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Oh? What's coming out soon that is a contender? (I don't mean that sarcastically, I really don't follow mobile gaming)

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm FTP and have only done pulls when I have primogen or a lot of google rewards funny money and I have yet to pull a 5* star unit. My last five 10 pulls were all weapons all 4* or lower. I like the game a lot and only the most challenging stuff requires top tier units but the gacha is awful, I'm saving all my currency until they inevitably seperate weapons and units just like dragalia lost.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The nice thing about this game is that, with only a couple exceptions, even the 4 star characters are excellent.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm FTP and have only done pulls when I have primogen or a lot of google rewards funny money and I have yet to pull a 5* star unit. My last five 10 pulls were all weapons all 4* or lower. I like the game a lot and only the most challenging stuff requires top tier units but the gacha is awful, I'm saving all my currency until they inevitably seperate weapons and units just like dragalia lost.

You're rolling on the banner right? I've been mostly ftp (just got the $5 thing a couple days ago), and have gotten a good bit of stuff despite playing really casually.

I guess it helps I liked 2 out of the 3 4stars on the most recent banner a lot though, so it was really chill to get them. It's not like the 4 stars feel inherently inferior to the 5 stars either as far as I notice.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Similar story with base rate.

FGO is 1% actually. Unless you're talking rate up. Regardless, people are talking about standard SSR rates. Not rate up shennanigans.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the problem with Genshin is that it's grindy as hell to make your characters good. There isn't much drawing me to the gacha system after getting enough characters to cover most of the major elements/weapon types. The only thing that makes me care about getting new characters is maybe the social aspect (like people on social media making the character seem cool and such) but giving out so little gacha currency tends to make it feel too valuable to spend. I'm expecting that most people won't particularly spend either now that they got a grasp on how this game works and that the gacha system isn't particularly rewarding

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FGO is 1% actually. Unless you're talking rate up. Regardless, people are talking about standard SSR rates. Not rate up shennanigans.
They used the .7% as rate up rate since they were given the .3% rate for Genshin impact which is the Genshin Impact Rateup character rate. The 5 star rate overall in GI is .6% (which is still very low). Unless they were referring to the standard banner that can also give 5 star weapons, but the event banners only have one or the other available

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's not even nearly the second most. It's not even in the top 10%. Probably not in the top 25%, but I'm not gonna break down the hundreds of gacha/mobile games I've played.

RAID makes you pay to win events. Straight up. Like "spend $1000 on the gacha to get 1000 points in the event" level of pay to win.

Every "fort builder" makes you dump thousands to speed up timers.

Epic Seven (and the dozens of other PVP gacha) require you to spend money to keep up with the meta.

Dozens of gacha have no pity. You can spend thousands and not get the character you want. In Genshin, there is a hard cap. It's high, but theoretically thousands less than a game without a pity.

Like I said. Rates are one part of the equation. You can play the entirety of events and story with just the free characters the game gives you. In fact, the game just had an event where they gave arguably the strongest character in the game who is also probably the most popular.
It's definitely not "the worse" by quite a bit, once there are more units in the game they'll likely separate weapons and unit which will help quite a bit.

You're rolling on the banner right? I've been mostly ftp (just got the $5 thing a couple days ago), and have gotten a good bit of stuff despite playing really casually.
Yes, I've gotten good stuff too just nothing 5 star at all. I've not been chasing anything particular also which has helped but I like the game so I'd like to have pulled something really cool or that has some of the more interesting mechanics I've seen.

If you want characters why weren't you pulling on the character banner?
I've gotten characters, I've been pulling on the right banners. I've not gotten any 5 star. Just the last 4 I did were all weapons still from the new character banners.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm feeling like I'm starting to hit the "too old" demographic of playing games. Starting to lose touch on these things... *shakes fist in air*