• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
There's really zero point in paying attention to any character-related videos on YouTube at all until at least a week after the character's been out and people have had time to use them in practical settings and with multiple team comps. Virtually all of these "they're looking like they'll be good/bad" videos that drop prior to release are just content creator filler in order to keep their video release schedule constant and maintain their visibility for algorithm purposes. None of it is worth engaging with.

Unless you're already pre-sold on a character via their asthetics, wait for them to come out, do their trial a couple times to get a feel for how the elements of their kit work (while understanding that the trials aren't always indicative of what would normally be a good team to get the most out of them--looking at you, Shenhe trial), and if you're not pushed one way or the other by that, then watch some footage of other people using them, wait for guides/reviews and check their strengths and weaknesses against what sort of team you might use them in given what else you already have. Especially if you're F2P or a light spender, guaranteed new characters are gonna be few and far between, so it helps to have a plan for who you're going to pull for and know you'll get long-term use out of them.

I literally have scraps of paper where I've written down all the characters I have and would consider using on the regular, along with their weapon, element, and general roles. It lets me freely visually rearrange teams to see what I most like or not, and what groupings will have viable synergy or not. It's simple, but useful.

anemovision

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Aug 8, 2018
did anyone watch the tenten video?

tenten is a theory crafter who only cares about meta, what he said in the video sounds very likely to be true and only matters if you care about speed running abyss.

couldn't care less about that, already getting 36 stars consistently, will be pulling ayato day one.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, honestly I don't understand caring about meta unless you really care about the Abyss. Always pull for love and if they turn out to be really good then hey it's a bonus. Not like the content is hard either way.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
did anyone watch the tenten video?
No, I am always turned off by his obvious clickbait and I don't enjoy the idea that I have to watch a whole video just to find out what people are actually saying.

I think that might be part of why I mostly like watching spiral abyss runs with new characters, because they usually show the team comp in the thumbnail and I can reasonably expect that they do in fact clear with that comp. Though you have to look at the builds in the video and deliberately look for C0 team clears with 4* weapons (especially for team variants that include Raiden as a support/secondary DPS, you want team comps that use C0).

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a YouTuber, so milking drama for revenue.
I mean... without watching the video, I agree with him :P

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Ayato is really good given what we know so far. But yeah I'm not a youtuber so I cant capitalize on my skepticism, lol.

That said, not every character has to be "meta" in this game. I understand that. And am fine pulling for characters if they look fun. But Ayato's kit has a bit of an identity crisis I think.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
The video was speculation based on pre-release information.
Some people like this type of content.
He didn't call the character trash or speak in absolutes and it did provide some information and his insight.
Don't see anything wrong with it.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I mean... without watching the video, I agree with him :P

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Ayato is really good given what we know so far. But yeah I'm not a youtuber so I cant capitalize on my skepticism, lol.

That said, not every character has to be "meta" in this game. I understand that. And am fine pulling for characters if they look fun. But Ayato's kit has a bit of an identity crisis I think.
Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. Don't really think he's going to hugely impact the meta, but that's not too surprising. Mihoyo hasn't been too keen on shaking things up with powerful units.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree with most of the expectations on Ayato; I fully expect he will be just fine but not the best at anything. For me the thing that was annoying about his video is just that it felt disingenuous. Like he knows full well and even says explicitly *multiple* times in the video how all of his conjecture is baseless since we don't know Ayato's numbers or icds yet, and that people should wait at least 1-2 weeks to pull for him for TCs to figure out how good he actually is. He's just click baiting and wasting people's time because it makes him money. I get it, I just think it sucks.

Honestly I've been reconsidering Ayato already myself, even though I really love his animations and character. At the end of the day, it's probably just a smarter decision for me to invest further into my Tortellini man. The problem with Ayato for me is just that even if his damage is better than Childe's (which again who even knows), the only thing he'd really be adding to my roster would be the off field hydro of his burst, but playing with Ayaka + Mona and the Anemo sucking utility skill in the current event made me feel a lot better about Mona for the job (I just need Kazuha lol).

I already farmed the hydro hypostasis for Ayato's boss mats, but oh well, that only took a few days of resin. All of the talent books, XP books, Sakura, and handguards will directly transfer to Ayaka anyway, who I've wanted forever. This way I can use the first half of the patch to invest more into Childe and know that my Ayaka is guaranteed, and maybe the added primos will let me get her weapon too, which would be huge.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my pre-release review of Ayato, for anyone who might find it helpful:
- Cute blue hair
- Pretty blue sword
- A handsome king
- Fancy sword/water moves (so elegant!)
- Amazing sleeves (great for storing tea and various accessories!)
- Isn't a shady Fatui Harbinger (probably would never try to destroy a city!)

10/10! Rip Tartangelo

fxwa.gif

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
- Cute blue hair
- Pretty blue sword
- A handsome king

10/10! Rip Tartangelo

fxwa.gif
Ayato more like Discount Childe.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
- Cute blue hair
- Pretty blue sword
- A handsome king

10/10! Rip Tartangelo

fxwa.gif
Wow, pulling!

But yeah just like any gacha game, I pull like 99% of the time based on how much I like the character/design.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I usually pull based on what I need that I don't have-- if Ayato wasn't literally the next banner then I would have just pulled Kokomi but Ayato is going to fulfill team needs that people take for granted since they usually end up with Mona that can make those teams.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All my the talents I care about are maxed out, lol. I was actually looking for a way to spend 500k mora to wrap up the battle pass (it was the only weekly reward I felt like doing). Took me a while to find a talent I could level up, and even then it was a talent I didn't love. But I have like 12 million mora and nothing to do with it so yeah.

Now... double artifact drops would be interesting. Where's that one, Mihoyoverse?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Childe is a product of early Genshin before MHY really understood how to kneecap a design. He occupies a similar area of early game jank like Fischl, Xiangling, Bennett, XQ, and Sucrose where snapshotting and elemental applications are highly inconsistent and have high potential for player manipulation.

And they tried to make him super awkward too without consts but his actual value as a unit came from completely different things than what is gated, mainly his ICD bypassing between normals and charged (+ large application window/area) which they 100% don't let units do any more. Look at how constrained Yae was just because of ICD restraints.

Ayato won't have those perks (most likely pending some last minute buff), and I think that's part of what people are missing with recent kits. We kinda don't see weird unexpected behavior anymore because MHY has largely stamped it out. So what you see in a kit is what you get, numbers are numbers. Kokomi is sort of an exception in that they threw her a saving grace on release with a removal of her ICD on jellyfish but that didn't really fundamentally change her, it spiced up her viability but she didn't somehow redefine a role Mona already filled. Elemental reactions are fairly well understood for units nowadays based on leaked kit, as well as damage profiles.

Yes sometimes shit gets wonky with like Raiden being a total pre-release miss but most of the time, these prelim analysis are generally not that far off.

Last edited:

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
- Cute blue hair
- Pretty blue sword
- A handsome king

10/10! Rip Tartangelo

fxwa.gif

giphy.gif

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no one to talent level, what do I need double talent mats for :(
I need mora, give me that

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Me:hyped to talent farms the double mats

Also me: doesn't have any characters using the Monday mats.

-_-

Westlo

Nov 4, 2017
Decided to have one last crack at Kokomi and if I got nothing or lost the 50/50 it is what it is.

Won the 50/50 after only 27 pulls which I also think is the earliest I've pulled a 5 star and was pretty stoked with that, decided to test my luck going for C2 Raiden.... another 30 pulls and this time I lost the 50/50 but at least Keqing is new so not that upset. Think I'll just keep doing YOLO pulls on Raiden's banner until it ends and if I miss out will go for guaranteed Ayaka.

This is how I got Albedo's C1. On the positive side: I'm extra careful now...

Yeah I'll never make this mistake again, been playing gatchas since Fire Emblem Heroes was released and honestly I think this is the first time I've ever summoned on the wrong banner by accident lol.

After more than 300 wishes between the two Raiden banners I finally got Sara c6. It has been very frustrating all these days getting constant Bennetts and Xinyans which were already c6 and of course one more Qiqi at around 80 pity count, not getting Sara or anything I can use except a Sac Sword. God I hate gacha.

Had C1 Bennett, C1 Sara and C3 Xinyan at the start of this banner rotation.

My Bennett is C5 by choice, can take him to C6, Xinyan C6 and I think I've pulled her an extra 5 times... Sara only C2..... 8 Xinyan's, 5 Bennetts and only 1 Sara.... omegalol.

ChaosSaga

Oct 25, 2017
Around Hyrule
Things that MHY don't do anymore:

- Low ICD skills/Bursts;
- Low cost Bursts;
- Simple but lot's of aplications Kits;
- Competent 4* (most are, they do X good, BUT...)

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I got excited for double talents but I've already maxed out the characters that use today's ones lol

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
- Cute blue hair
- Pretty blue sword
- A handsome king

10/10! Rip Tartangelo

fxwa.gif

It'll literally be RIP Tarantula for me, as he's my current water main DPS and if Ayato is at least decent in that department...

giphy.gif

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Things that MHY don't do anymore:

- Low ICD skills/Bursts;
- Low cost Bursts;
- Simple but lot's of aplications Kits;
- Competent 4* (most are, they do X good, BUT...)
We'll get lower cost burst and competent 4* again once they are done with Inazuma for the most part. Most of the reason a lot of newer 4* characters are so bad is because they are given a mandatory 80 burst cost that doesn't fit the power of their kit simply because they live in Inazuma. Yun Jin was able to escape the 80 burst cost curse and while her uses are very limited, when you are able to use her, you can because her burst and intended gameplay are actually accessible. Sara and Gorou are also inazuma's best 4* characters because they still get to buff other characters when their burst isn't ready to use by using their skill.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Both Gorou and Itto have decently simple kits tbh. Maybe it's why they were so good lol.

80 burst cost fucked over way too many characters.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
all those rumor about kazuha beeing pushed back again to...2.8 and not to 2.7
with itto rerun at 2.7

i really wish this is fake.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
with itto rerun at 2.7

They are doing this specifically for me since I missed Itto last time around.

They are lining up all the 5 star guys I'm missing in a row. Xiao will be the only one left.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I just pull for whoever I want and then figure out what to do with them later.
I did not expect that when I got Shenhe my favorite team with her would be Eula, Raiden and Qiqi.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
We'll get lower cost burst and competent 4* again once they are done with Inazuma for the most part. Most of the reason a lot of newer 4* characters are so bad is because they are given a mandatory 80 burst cost that doesn't fit the power of their kit simply because they live in Inazuma. Yun Jin was able to escape the 80 burst cost curse and while her uses are very limited, when you are able to use her, you can because her burst and intended gameplay are actually accessible. Sara and Gorou are also inazuma's best 4* characters because they still get to buff other characters when their burst isn't ready to use by using their skill.
I'm don't feel like high energy bursts are a choice because of Inazuma but I guess we'll see when more characters come out.

Rather, I feel like they realized people were building characters to burst off cooldown and have tried to make it more difficult. That's why most new enemies drop way less energy particles than before.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I told ya'll Inazuma was the worst for many many reasons.

I don't its specifically Inazuma, this stuff is bleeding into every aspect of the game lol. It's just the direction they want to go.

Look at how niche Shenhe and Yunjin are and they are Liyue, and Chasm's got that same dark dreary/hostile design that's been all over Inazuma.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
with itto rerun at 2.7

Hopefully it is fake because if not, I'd start to consider the possibility that Hoyoverse is struggling to come up with ways to indirectly worsen Kazuha specifically since he's too good and is content to just push him back further and further

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol

Didn't Tenten say he'd stop with the pre-release videos when the Raiden rerelease happened, or did I just imagine that?

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm don't feel like high energy bursts are a choice because of Inazuma but I guess we'll see when more characters come out.

Rather, I feel like they realized people were building characters to burst off cooldown and have tried to make it more difficult. That's why most new enemies drop way less energy particles than before.
It is because Raiden scales with burst cost, so they tried to have as many new Inazuma characters have a high burst cost to support that but it ended up just breaking characters like Electro Lumine (whose mechanics aren't even compatible with Raiden to begin with), Thoma, and Sayu is kind of hard to use outside of Raiden teams because of it. There are characters with less than 80 burst cost from Inazuma but none of them are 4*.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I usually pull based on what I need that I don't have-- if Ayato wasn't literally the next banner then I would have just pulled Kokomi but Ayato is going to fulfill team needs that people take for granted since they usually end up with Mona that can make those teams.
Ever since I've had both Raiden and Hu Tao I really haven't had any "needs" for clearing content. Just stuff I want for whatever dumb reason (*cough* Yae *cough*)

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I don't it's specifically Inazuma, this stuff is bleeding into every aspect of the game lol. It's just the direction they want to go.

Look at how niche Shenhe and Yunjin are and they are Liyue, and Chasm's got that same dark dreary/hostile design that's been all over Inazuma.

I'm just memeing but yeah that's where it's fallen off mechanics-wise and exploration-wise for me at least. Of Course, I've been consistently complaining about that.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since I've had both Raiden and Hu Tao I really haven't had any "needs" for clearing content. Just stuff I want for whatever dumb reason (*cough* Yae *cough*)
I want to be able to run a half decent hydro applicator for Ganyu freeze teams as well as have a stronger shield breaker than Barbara/more Hydros in general for shield breaking to run on the same team, once I am able to do that I just need Dendro characters just for elemental coverage vs enemy shields (or enemies weak to Dendro) and whatever the general Dendro teams will be.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I'm getting Venti primarily because I want him. But I'm also getting him to accompany Ganyu and finish off my freeze team… probably about six months too late, so I can use that team against heavy, un-freezable boss enemies. lol

Might just save after that, though Kaz will be tempting. Then I'll be saving for dendro.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
I've had Yae in my overworld party for a while now & she is the first character where the more I play her, the less I like her.

This might be because she was easier to adjust to at the beginning--I find a lot of characters awkward at the start, before I've figured out how to use them, whereas Yae is pretty simple. Set up turrets, weave in burst. And there are situations where she's handy, like the mondstat talent domain.

But I've had time to build her talents now, and her damage hasn't improved much. I don't feel like she's pulling her weight. Setting up the turrets was fun at first, but now I mostly notice how long it takes.

I would have said that, whatever the player reception, Hoyoverse has been pretty good about making all their five star characters pretty useful. Yae is the first one to break that trust at all. Future characters/challenges might change that, but right now... I'm underwhelmed.

Nov 25, 2021
Don't forget the Watatsumi weapon series also focused on energy costs, Raiden has the energy cost mechanic, Enkanomiya has energy draining enemies, the first domain was energy/NA+CA focused (at expense of energy). I'm definitely interested in seeing what the Dendro/Sumeru "favoured" stat/style is.

Also I just want a second Anemo artifact domain already but... I guess we'll probably be waiting till the next fancy new anemo 5*, which seems quite a bit off.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like.. release order? with newest being at the top. It's sorted in a sense but yeah, definitely not the best way to do it.

It's whatever you farmed recently gets moved to the top. It's a really weird system. But then again, this is a game where when you click enhance with 3* artifacts and under, it starts with your 1*artifacts instead of your 3* artifacts. Logic is not something that often applies to Genshin lol.
mihoyo i hate you

!

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
another one of my friends pulled engulfing, i must resist
some times i wish the banner will end soon so i don't have the pressure to pull from it.

me right now...must...save...for..Kazuha.
also i really hope to get Rosaria at some point.

E54_2Z8XIAc8Zjg.jpg

This is me right now! I recently got Raiden to C2 and I want her weapon to complete her! I'm not pulling for the next two banners and hearing Kaz is so far away... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Changed my notebook to an Alienware with a 3070...

Everything on MAX and the game doesn't even struggle... unlimited FPS when???

Status
Not open for further replies.