• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I've just about had it with this raccoon. The first two parts weren't that bad but this part the dialog just goes on and on and on and on.
87b

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone has ever said those are needed, at least around here. Just that they give a substantial boost to characters already really good at C0.

The only one I did see paraded around is that Chile's C1 is pretty much required. Although that's long since been debunked.

tbf I hated using childe though until i stumbled into his c1 on his rerun, and now he just feels like a hutao on cooldown, so I can definitely see where this is coming from. don't feel this way about any of my other 5*s, which are all c0. that does largely stem from other 5* cons being about increasing damage, whereas childe's changes the way his rotations and playstyle works.

of course there are exceptions. like i guess you could argue the same thing about hutao being able to do more mechanical cancels with her c1, but she doesn't feel bad to play at c0 whereas childe did for me.

J-Shy

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Managed my first 36-star abyss. Result!

Rational one side, Eula, Fischl, Ganyu and Zhongli the other. Ganyu and Zhongli certainly made a big difference.

Now what?
Congratulations! Clearing abyss and getting 36 stars for the first time are when I've felt the most satisfied with Genshin. It's a good feeling. I've yet to try Ganyu with Eula, but I've been curious of how well they work together.

Now that you've been able to 36 star abyss once, when it inevitably gets harder, you'll tell yourself that surely since you've done it before you can do it again! To not be able to get 36 stars again would be the worst, so you will continue the grind as abyss gets harder. You are trapped forever, there is no escape.

But being serious, after I first got 36 stars I started trying to get 36 stars while using characters I really liked, such as Noelle and Amber. That didn't last long however, and now I just build teams I want to try regardless of how meta they are. You have to either start making your own challenges, or build whoever you want, realizing that clearing Spiral Abyss isn't the be all end all since the amount of pirmogems you get isn't a huge amount. It's up to you really.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Rational one side, Eula, Fischl, Ganyu and Zhongli the other. Ganyu and Zhongli certainly made a big difference.

Now what?

Congrats on your first 36*. I think the first time I managed it was in July after getting Kazuha to replace Sucrose. After that I always got 36* even if it was not on the first try or the first day because it got harder. Raiden was the biggest upgrade replacing Klee on my usual team of Klee/Ganyu/Zhongli/Venti.

This Abyss I used Raiden/Kazuha/Sara/Bennett and Ganyu/Xiangling/Zhongli/Xingqiu.

Depending on the characters you have you could try to do it again with different teams. I know I want to try to use Klee for abyss again and maybe Keqinq too since they were my first 5*.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
there is too many "uncle" in china

who was the origin of "uncle" idea? and why?

I think the closest equivalent in English would be 'bro' where there's a level at which you're sincerely saying, "You're like family to me, you're my brother, we have one another's back," and then there's a whole bunch of uses that are either joking, insincere, or diluted. But at heart, there's a concept of friendship so strong that it's equivalent to a blood relationship.

I think uncle has a similarly layered usage. Like, you might call any older man who you feel closeness and respect for 'uncle' but then all these other downstream uses develop from that one point of departure.

Alkez

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I like that you keep looking for teams outside of the meta.
Haha thanks man. You know I always gotta be theorycrafting something.
Yeah, getting 5* constellations purely to see more damage numbers is the most boring thing you can do in a game like this. It's not needed and it's not interesting.

Only do it if you have money to burn and want to see big numbers on the screen (and suffer chasing impossible artifacts to achieve those numbers).
I go for cons (well I'm planning to for the first time) but only on rerun banners. The way I see it is I want to keep using the people I like, so I would rather use my resources to upgrade them as opposed to pulling for the latest units. They're power boosts over time for me. It's how I operate in all the games I play tbh.

Now what?
Eyy, well done. The first one is always the most satisfying.

For me, my goal has been to be able to do it with all the units I like. Ideally I would like to have 6 main dps, and I would rotate between them over the course of each abyss cycle (as it usually has 3 rotations). Like I could keep using Keqing and Ningguang to 36* it, but that's going to get boring after a while, and there's other playstyles I like such as Eula. Obviously that's a lot of work, but the endgame is building characters so there's not much else to do. And I find it fun using different things so for me it's enough.

Rn the people I want to use are: Keqing, Ningguang, Childe, and Eula. Diluc and Ganyu are in the testing phase, but they may be the last 2. Technically Raiden should be on that list, but I can't use Childe or Eula without her (I've tried it, I don't like it) so she has 2 slots in essence lol. It's a partnership haha.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
if diluc gets an outfit I might actually get it since

I have no jean so her outfit is pointless

I barely use keqing and i honestly have trouble telling her alt and her regular outfit apart

I have and use diluc regularly

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the main Enkanomiya questline, whoo. I've only done a couple of the shade quests and still have the final waypoints to unlock, so I'm definitely not done there, but at least the main stretch is sorted out.
I find it really interesting that the game is starting to cast noticeable doubt on Paimon. I have a hard time imagining MHY would ever turn their beloved mascot evil, but--assuming this isn't a red herring--I could see her being an unwitting pawn that ends up spelling trouble for Traveler or something. Would be cooler if they did go full evil Paimon, but Genshin is obviously way too vanilla for that sorta thing lol.

I also stumbled upon and completed a little daily questline in Liyue. It's one that starts by talking to Chef Mao.
(Questline ending spoilers:) It's really really sweet that we get to rebuild Pervases' temple! I love when little things on the map like this are permanently changed cuz it helps the world feel more alive and like our presence there is actually influencing it. Also, a funny little coincidence, Xiao hangs out on the little cliff behind the house during Lantern Rite. It's super cute, kinda like he's watching over the shrine being rebuilt up. ;w;

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
To be fair with the current event, people have been begging for more primos. This gives you 60 everyday for 5-6 days, it's not a lot but its super easy to obtain. Plus we just got the daily login event.

Although IMO the daily login event should be once a month

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair with the current event, people have been begging for more primos. This gives you 60 everyday for 5-6 days, it's not a lot but its super easy to obtain. Plus we just got the daily login event.
Yes. People want primos. To get characters. To use those characters in fun content. When the content is literally "get carpal tunnel pressing the skip button" then it doesn't really feel worth it. Which is why I'm skipping this event, lol. Not worth it for a few extra primos. I'd sooner play an event that's pure gameplay and no rewards than having to sit through boring dialog just to get primos. I'm not that desperate. Well... I would be, but since Kazuha's rerun has been delayed indefinitely, I got time.

Reticence

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've not really found the event to be that bad, it takes a few minutes each day when I log in and then I get on with my other tasks. I can imagine it is worse if you were to do multiple days in one session though.

Oct 26, 2017
Just started this game in earnest after messing around for an hour or two at launch and quitting. Are there any good primers I can read for mechanics/things to keep in mind that are good to know as early as possible? An example being to not level all characters evenly due to scarcity of leveling resources, which I only happened to stumble upon while searching up some other info about the game. Or when to increase world level etc.

Bought in with a first time bonus genesis crystal pack and rolled until I got a Ganyu and 2-3 dupes of each Beidou, Xingqiu, and Yangfei. Assuming it's viable to play Beidou lead for most of the game and switch to Ganyu when I want to change up the playstyle.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I swear, my last 2-3 days of resin was mostly spent at emblem domain, and every single 5* emblem piece I got was a DEF% main stat. Every single one.

Just started this game in earnest after messing around for an hour or two at launch and quitting. Are there any good primers I can read for mechanics/things to keep in mind that are good to know as early as possible? An example being to not level all characters evenly due to scarcity of leveling resources, which I only happened to stumble upon while searching up some other info about the game. Or when to increase world level etc.

Bought in with a first time bonus genesis crystal pack and rolled until I got a Ganyu and 2-3 dupes of each Beidou, Xingqiu, and Yangfei. Assuming it's viable to play Beidou lead for most of the game and switch to Ganyu when I want to change up the playstyle.
If you have Ganyu, Xingqui, and Beidou, you've already won the game in terms of the exploration/adventure content. Speaking for my personal experience, I got through the majority of the overworld game with Yanfei as my main dps, and Ganyu is *much* stronger than Yanfei for anything that isn't invulnerable to cryo.

My best advice would be to just pick 4 characters you like, and only invest in them until you've gotten through a large portion of the exploration content. That means don't spread your resources as you've said, but also make sure to upgrade your talent levels on those characters and give them the best artifacts and weapons you can and level those up as well. All of the four characters you've mentioned are at least good (Yanfei) to amazing (Ganyu, Xingqui, Beidou). You just will probably want a healer. If you have/can get Diona or Bennett they are great, but most will do the job fine if you enjoy playing them and invest in them.

For world level, as long as you have your talents levels to as high as they can go on the current world level with your main dps, and you've given them the best artifacts you can at that point, you should be fine with most characters. And honestly, you have Ganyu, who is in the top 3 dpses in the game, and for exploration she makes everything super comfy, so just enjoy.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the things that's always bothered me in this game is that cryo is the best element for taking out 2 different shield types (electro and hydro). But electro isn't the best element for taking out any shield.

Oct 26, 2017
I swear, my last 2-3 days of resin was mostly spent at emblem domain, and every single 5* emblem piece I got was a DEF% main stat. Every single one.

If you have Ganyu, Xingqui, and Beidou, you've already won the game in terms of the exploration/adventure content. Speaking for my personal experience, I got through the majority of the overworld game with Yanfei as my main dps, and Ganyu is *much* stronger than Yanfei for anything that isn't invulnerable to cryo.

My best advice would be to just pick 4 characters you like, and only invest in them until you've gotten through a large portion of the exploration content. That means don't spread your resources as you've said, but also make sure to upgrade your talent levels on those characters and give them the best artifacts and weapons you can and level those up as well. All of the four characters you've mentioned are at least good (Yanfei) to amazing (Ganyu, Xingqui, Beidou). You just will probably want a healer. If you have/can get Diona or Bennett they are great, but most will do the job fine if you enjoy playing them and invest in them.

For world level, as long as you have your talents levels to as high as they can go on the current world level with your main dps, and you've given them the best artifacts you can at that point, you should be fine with most characters. And honestly, you have Ganyu, who is in the top 3 dpses in the game, and for exploration she makes everything super comfy, so just enjoy.
Neat, thanks. It sounds like I don't ever actually need to include the main character in my party then? Can I leave them at level 1 for the entire game?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lost my 50/50 both times, but I now have both Ganyu and Zhongli.

It's lovely. They're soooo good.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Neat, thanks. It sounds like I don't ever actually need to include the main character in my party then? Can I leave them at level 1 for the entire game?
Yep, and I would do just that personally. The one reason I ever had to use the MC was to use their Geo variant since his/her skill was the only thing I had at the time that produced a structure I could get extra height with, which I needed to reach things occasionally. And there are some puzzles in Liyue where their structure also comes in handy. The only other benefit they have is the Anemo variant offers one of the few ways to reduce Anemo resistance from enemies, and there are only a few things in the game that can do that.

Other than that, I would only invest in the MC if you really enjoy playing them, but as far as optimizing your team, they don't offer anything that isn't done better by someone else. If you just want to slap enemies with your sword, Kaeya will give you that and you should have him already.

Also, I almost hesitate to recommend him because the combination of him and Ganyu trivializes the majority of the game, and it may make the game less fun for you without having much challenge, but just a heads up as well that the other limited banner character, Zhongli, is also considered one of the best characters in the game. He provides the strongest shield in the game and can universally make almost any team better with his ability to reduce all enemy resistances. He is available until the 15th, and even if you don't get him, getting additional constellations for your Xingqui and Beidou will be very beneficial to you if you play the game long-term, so it might be worth trying.

Last edited:

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, cryo ain't good for fire shields?
It does work but hydro is much better against it. Pyro works best against cryo shields, cryo and pyro works best against electro shields, cryo works best against hydro shields, and hydro works best against pyro shields.

I agree with Jim, it's weird that the resistances are asymmetrical, and yet another reason why electro is weaker as an element and should be buffed in some way. But in regards to shields, there's literally no reason why electro isn't strongest against hydro and cryo shouldn't be strong against two elements. It's like they just made a typo on the resistances and decided to never fix it.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021
It looks like they want to go for a "jack of all trades, master of none" when it comes to electro vs shields. It's also interesting that the electro abyss mages shield operates in a somewhat unique way compared to the others.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
i also don't see a world where pyro isn't going to be effective against dendro shields, so pyro investments will keep winning.

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017
One of the things that's always bothered me in this game is that cryo is the best element for taking out 2 different shield types (electro and hydro). But electro isn't the best element for taking out any shield.
That and pyro not being effective against electro elemental armour (Fatui etc) feels very odd, like it must be a mistake somehow.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
1) i dunno what's up with mecha-shogun but she cool

2) these kichiboushi quests rule

3) i'm glad that they're adding more enemy types at (what feels like?) a much faster rate than before (tho i still think they err too much on the side of "make every new thing even tankier" as a design philosophy, which sucks)

4) i really really wish they'd add buff/debuff/cooldown icons and timers to the battle ui... i get that on mobile there's basically zero screen real estate to add more shit but mobile sucks anyway just accept it and give me a better gaming experience

Inconsistency certainly fits GI to a tee, and not only when it comes to elemental reactions.
accurate

there's an endless list of tiny things like that that pile up and put me in a state of... being annoyed!

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think it makes sense to not have shields be rock-paper-scissors style - it's already a game that doesn't use that sort of thing for elements in the way most gacha do.

...but it does mean I am constantly going "wait, is this even the best element for this shield, why does it feel like it's not going down..." (and it didn't help that I didn't have a decent cryo option for that till now)

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
So Yae Miko's banner, what is it? We don't know what other characters will be with her.
Leaks say Thoma, Diona and Fischl. The weapon banner should be Kagura's Verity (her weapon) and Jade Cutter. IIRC they usually show the banners on saturday/sunday prior the patch, so in a few days we'll know regardless

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Spent some time playing with a friend who's still pretty early on in the game, like AR30~35 and only through Liyue's primary archon quest, helping them clear out trials, figure puzzles, find chests, etc.
It's fascinating how starkly different the exploration in Inazuma is compared to Mond & Liyue. Inazuma requires so much more attention due to how dense it all is, whereas Liyue and Mondstadt in contrast are really calming and soothing to explore. It felt like a breath of fresh air returning to that after Enkanomiya, and really makes me hope we get more chill exploration areas again in the future. Like, I super enjoy these more complex locations for sure, but there's something just so relaxing and satisfying about the more open and less vertically intense areas, too. Mixing it up once in a while would just be hella nice. 🙏

Alkez

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want Viridescent Hunt for Childe. Knocking away enemies is annoying because then the riptide proks and you basically can't hit them for a few seconds. But I really don't think the battle pass offers enough value to make it worth it.

Tbh I'm surprised they still haven't changed the bp weapons or added more.

anemovision

Aug 8, 2018
I kind of want Viridescent Hunt for Childe. Knocking away enemies is annoying because then the riptide proks and you basically can't hit them for a few seconds. But I really don't think the battle pass offers enough value to make it worth it.

Tbh I'm surprised they still haven't changed the bp weapons or added more.

despite playing tartag a lot I've managed to avoid that weapon every time and I buy bp every month. I don't think he needs it and there's just better value from all other weapons, albeit for other characters.

I guess playing him with a cryo character helps or zhongli. the knockback has never been enough of an issue to make me consider that weapon but then I do have harp on him.

ps. saw belle last week and still got the songs stuck in my head! genshin needs more music with lyrics, really liked yun jin's one.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Why Shenhe is pronounced Shenha but written with e instead of a? I always read her name Shenhé (like café) until I heard characters calling her Shenha.

Status
Not open for further replies.