• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Hey y'all. I started playing Genshin last Sunday, and I'm legit in love with it. I'm a F2P player, and plan on continuing to be. So I'm searching for some guides, learning everything that I can about the game and its systems to make my life easier.

That said, one aspect is haunting me: waisting resources on a bad character. Since I'm F2P I don't have much choice rather than ask for advice. Which characters should I upgrade? Another thing is, I watched a video saying that a good strategy is to focus on 2 characters and let the others level up by doing missions. Does this holds true?

Right now my adventure rank is 22, I'm still in Mondstadt, and this is my current cast:
Traveler - 30
Amber - 20 (ascended)
Kaeya - 20 (ascended)
Lisa - 20 (ascended)
Barbara - 20 (not ascended)
Noelle - 1
Razor - 1
Xingqiu - 1
(I wished them after I got Barbara on lvl 20)

What I heard so far:
- Focus on the traveler since I'll get "free" upgrades during the gameplay, and that is a guarantee good enough character;
- Skip Lisa and Amber;

I heard other things as well, but it was mostly mixed (both good and bad things) about the other characters, so I'm kinda lost.

Any help is appreciated, thanks \o/

Xingqiu is the best 4 star in the game alongside Bennett. If you ever pull a sacrificial sword give it to him and you have a unit for life.
As for the others, it's fine to level and ascend everyone to 20, it doesn't take much resources to do so, plus it gives you a free fate
After that you can be more selective
Also aim to get to floor 3 spiral abyss to get yourself a free Xiangling and level her as your pyro unit

Last edited:

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Can't wait to watch zajef mald when he sees that tier list

Kazuha is legit one of the best supports of the game and he is even more insane if you put him on 4pc Viridescent Venerer.

1) Groups enemies in a way that make it easier for all melee characters to hit them unlike Venti that makes it harder for some characters.
2) He can provide a BIG elemental boost to melee characters that needed them like Keqing
3) Cloud Strider makes it perfect for overworld exploration since it reduces 20% of stamina consumption.
4) He is not greedy in terms of weapons and can do exceptionally well with Iron Sting and full EM on his artifacts (or maybe I just got lucky and got 2 EM artifacts from the VV set)

He is one of my main staples ever since I got him and while I LOVE Venti I still like more to run with Kazuha all over Inazuma.

Also dat design...

genshin-impact-kazuha-banner-release-date-1.jpg
Hands down one of the best supports and very F2P friendly. I watched an Alec John vid (Keqing main) just before release that changed my mind about his potential. The damage increase he provides means he'll always be on one of my abyss teams. Just testing the difference he makes and this is with 800ish EM:

And the QoL improvement he adds to overworld exploration is *chef's kiss*

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Updated CN tierlist from Usagi ver 2.0 (Core/Low Constellations list aka the usual more relatable non-whale list)

Ayaka
- Tier 1 Main DPS at C0
- Tier 2 Sub DPS/Burst/Reaction Support at C0

Electro Traveler
- Tier 3 Utility Support at C6

tierlist-Ayaya-mincon.png

Source: https://www.bilibili.com/read/cv12527073
I assume Ganyu and Hu Tao at C0 would be Tier 1 instead?

Kazuha is legit one of the best supports of the game and he is even more insane if you put him on 4pc Viridescent Venerer.

1) Groups enemies in a way that make it easier for all melee characters to hit them unlike Venti that makes it harder for some characters.
2) He can provide a BIG elemental boost to melee characters that needed them like Keqing
3) Cloud Strider makes it perfect for overworld exploration since it reduces 20% of stamina consumption.
4) He is not greedy in terms of weapons and can do exceptionally well with Iron Sting and full EM on his artifacts (or maybe I just got lucky and got 2 EM artifacts from the VV set)

He is one of my main staples ever since I got him and while I LOVE Venti I still like more to run with Kazuha all over Inazuma.

Also dat design...

For real. To think I considered skipping him at first.

The more I use him, the more I enjoy him. I've been switching characters when they get to Friendship 10, but he's never leaving my overworld party.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I know almost everyone seems to dislike her, but I really do like Yoimiya.
It's just a few loud weirdos who didn't bother reading the dialogue while they did her quest. Most people either like her or are marginally indifferent because Baal the Raiden of the Shogun is coming soon.

She fuckin' rules and I can't wait to have her.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What did we say about shamelessly simping Kazuha in this thread?

Forget about Raiden Shogun, It is now Qiqi who will administer punishment by crashing your next 50/50 pity.

tenor.gif

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey y'all. I started playing Genshin last Sunday, and I'm legit in love with it. I'm a F2P player, and plan on continuing to be. So I'm searching for some guides, learning everything that I can about the game and its systems to make my life easier.

That said, one aspect is haunting me: waisting resources on a bad character. Since I'm F2P I don't have much choice rather than ask for advice. Which characters should I upgrade? Another thing is, I watched a video saying that a good strategy is to focus on 2 characters and let the others level up by doing missions. Does this holds true?

Right now my adventure rank is 22, I'm still in Mondstadt, and this is my current cast:
Traveler - 30
Amber - 20 (ascended)
Kaeya - 20 (ascended)
Lisa - 20 (ascended)
Noelle - 1
Razor - 1
Xingqiu - 1

What I heard so far:
- Focus on the traveler since I'll get "free" upgrades during the gameplay, and that is a guarantee good enough character;
- Skip Lisa and Amber;

I heard other things as well, but it was mostly mixed (both good and bad things) about the other characters, so I'm kinda lost.

Xinqiu is probably top 3 support right now so definitely build him. Razor is also an excellent physical DPS and definitely worth building. He doesn't work too well with Xinqiu though, but is great with Kaeya. Barbara doesn't scale too well into late game but she is excellent early on and for exploration, definitely worth investing a moderate amount into her.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
People laughed at Childe, but he is great. I made fun of Kazuha but he's excellent for support. Wonder who will be the next great character being slept on.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I never planned on pulling for Kazuha until I did his trial run, and I was immediately like "oh shit, I need this". It's probably the quickest I've ever been won over by a character I had no motivation for originally. As a bonus, it allowed me to pretend Sucrose doesn't exist, because I disliked playing her any time I tried.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Can I also get some opinions on a reasonable composition? I'm also f2p and probably will remain as such (maybe I'll grab a BP or the Walking thingy if I stick with the game).
Here's the list:
Traveller, 50
Kaeya, 40
Amber, 40
Beidou, 50
Noelle, 44
Yanfei, 50
Sucrose, 30
Barbara, 20
Ningguang, 1
Chongyun, 1
Lisa, 1

I have been switching it around a bit, but mainly I use Traveller, Kaeya, Beidou, Amber, or Kaeya, Noelle, Yanfei, Amber. I also have a party with Barbara and Sucrose for when I need those elements, though I don't use it much for actual combat.
I really enjoy playing as Yanfei and she seems pretty strong; I also really like both Noelle and Beidou. I think Noelle might be better overall as she also heals, which is nice to have. I have read that Sucrose can be good as support, but I haven't levelled her enough yet.
I'm aware that Amber is not considered particularly good, but I like having an archer, so there's not much I can do; aside from sniping from afar, I only use her elemental skills when ready and then ignore her.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
People laughed at Childe, but he is great. I made fun of Kazuha but he's excellent for support. Wonder who will be the next great character being slept on.

I never planned on pulling for Kazuha until I did his trial run, and I was immediately like "oh shit, I need this". It's probably the quickest I've ever been won over by a character I had no motivation for originally. As a bonus, it allowed me to pretend Sucrose doesn't exist, because I disliked playing her any time I tried.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
your screenshots are amazing how do you get them so wide? is it because you're using an ultra wide display on pc?
Thaaaaanks :)

Yes, I use an ultrawide monitor, so 2.39:1 is my default aspect ratio.

But I have custom resolutions for different aspect ratios though, so sometimes I switch to 2:1 or even 3:4 for some shots. Like this:
ZY8aTa.png

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Can I also get some opinions on a reasonable composition? I'm also f2p and probably will remain as such (maybe I'll grab a BP or the Walking thingy if I stick with the game).
Here's the list:
Traveller, 50
Kaeya, 40
Amber, 40
Beidou, 50
Noelle, 44
Yanfei, 50
Sucrose, 30
Barbara, 20
Ningguang, 1
Chongyun, 1
Lisa, 1

I have been switching it around a bit, but mainly I use Traveller, Kaeya, Beidou, Amber, or Kaeya, Noelle, Yanfei, Amber. I also have a party with Barbara and Sucrose for when I need those elements, though I don't use it much for actual combat.
I really enjoy playing as Yanfei and she seems pretty strong; I also really like both Noelle and Beidou. I think Noelle might be better overall as she also heals, which is nice to have. I have read that Sucrose can be good as support, but I haven't levelled her enough yet.
I'm aware that Amber is not considered particularly good, but I like having an archer, so there's not much I can do; aside from sniping from afar, I only use her elemental skills when ready and then ignore her.

Composition for overworld doesn't really matter that much, just what you find fun
For Spiral Abyss it depends on the floor
Are you struggling with any in particular?

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Sometimes, no matter how good or fun a character is to play, they just don't resonate with you. I'm glad everyone is having fun with Kaz. In the meantime I'll keep dragging Amber into the Abyss and try to full clear it with her.

Oct 25, 2017
Got my first 5* from the Standard banner, a Skyward Harp.
Fischl's doing fine rocking a Compound Bow so maybe I'll try for a Yoimiya pull?

This stupid game...

Oct 27, 2017
There is no way Shogun's weapon banner sucks.

• WGS
• Amos

Nothing else. Everything has been promoted already. Primordial is impossible because of double spear.

Gotta plan my conquest:
• Chart towards the grasscutter
• If I get it, then it is finito
• If I get WGS/Amos... all in for either 2nd or guaranteed 3rd grasscutter

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yay, I did it. Over the last four days I leveled up from 25 - 30, did all of Chapter 1, got to Inazuma and did the event to get the free Beidou before the event ended with a few days to spare. I can chill now.
😱 I didn't realise this was a thing!

I just hit Adventure Rank 30 and have done the quests where you finish/solve the issue with the book person and get the travellers guide from him, and am now hiring people with Zhongli at the moment – just had a tense encounter with Childe after I reminded Paimon about Mondstadt. How many hours would you put me at from getting to Inazuma and finishing the event to get the free Beidou? If I just mainline the missions?

Currently my whole team is lvl50 with lvl2 talents and lvl40-46 weapons.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes, no matter how good or fun a character is to play, they just don't resonate with you. I'm glad everyone is having fun with Kaz. In the meantime I'll keep dragging Amber into the Abyss and try to full clear it with her.
Agreed. Vibing > meta.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Also dat design...

He's also a complete murderer when paired with Childe, because of how the latter's marks deal damage to every enemy in the area for each enemy you hit (so the total damage dealt increases quadratically with the number of enemies you hit at once).

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
despite all the qiqi memes, I only got her once. my qiqi would be five star greatswords and more recently Diluc

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
No foolin'? I got the impression I should prioritize ATK over CRIT but if switching works then I'll look into it. Thanks.
Though right now I've got a bottleneck with a lack of arrowheads. Depopulating Mondstadt is so time consuming.
Try to get a 1:2 Crit Ratio is the general rule. So something like 60% Crit Rate to 120-150% Crit Damage would make your Fischl hit like a truck.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

While being economic with your resources, especially if you are F2P, is a good strategy, you imo don't have to overdo it either. ;) You don't need to be scared to upgrade a character that you are having fun with. Go upgrade that character and have fun with it!
Now that the game grew so big and offers so much content you will be getting much more resources just playing through the story and exploring the wilderness than people did back then when the game released and when content was much more limited.
Last but not least, there are, apart from Amber maybe, no bad characters. Some of the 4 stars you already own are legit among the best characters in the game. Xingqiu for example. He's a fantastic support and sub DPS, Razor is a great DPS.

These sound like the words of a player who's ISP fucked their pulls

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Ok, I wasn't playing during 1.1 so I entirely missed Scaramouche's appearance in the game.

Why does everyone love him so much? I'm not a fan of his design, but is it because of that? Is it cause he's a harbinger like Childe and La Signora?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Traveler - 30
Amber - 20 (ascended)
Kaeya - 20 (ascended)
Lisa - 20 (ascended)
Noelle - 1
Razor - 1
Xingqiu - 1

What I heard so far:
- Skip Lisa and Amber;

The tier list posted recently is pretty accurate. Razor is a top tier main DPS (seriously, he's a freaking monster for a 4*, no pun intended) and Xingqiu is a top tier sub DPS, so you can level both of them up without fear. The Traveller is sadly outclassed regardless of what element you switch them to, so it's up to you whether to level them or not. Amber is straight out useless.

Out of the characters you have, Barbara is the only dedicated healer (Noelle can also heal but not as consistently). The thing is once you get Bennett, Barbara becomes useless, while Noelle still has a lot of use through her shield and even as a DPS at high constellations, so I'm not sure what to advice you. Perhaps level up Noelle for as long as she can function as a healer, and hopefully switch to Bennett (or a 5* healer if you pull them) before you need to use Barbara?

In the end whatever choices you make now don't matter much in the long run, since at higher levels it becomes a lot easier to level up lower-level characters. I make a point to level every character I have to 40-50, for example. The really important choices are everything pertaining to the premium currency, Primogems, of which I would advice to hoard them and only ever use them for promotional character banners that have a character you really, really want (be it 4* por 5*). Don't pull on the permanent banner with primogems, you will get plenty of wishes for it normally; and absolutely don't pull on the weapon banner.

Besides Primogems, the other sort-of-premium currencies are Masterless Stardust and Masterless Starglitter, which you can only get through making wishes (gacha pulls). It's recommended you spend Stardust on more wishes, and Starglitter on either characters or weapons (although Intertwined Fate is also a decent choice if you're short on wishes for a specific banner). Again, you can do worse than hoarding them until you better understand what's valuable.

In short:
Intertwined Fate -> Used for promotional banner pulls (no other use).
Acquainted Fate -> Used for permanent banner pulls (no other use).
Primogems -> Recommended use is to buy Intertwined Fate.
Masterless Stardust -> Recommended use is to buy Intertwined Fate.
Masterless Starglitter -> Recommended use is to buy characters, 4* weapons, or Intertwined Fate.

(anyone feel free to correct me if I've forgotten anything).

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I wasn't playing during 1.1 so I entirely missed Scaramouche's appearance in the game.

Why does everyone love him so much? I'm not a fan of his design, but is it because of that? Is it cause he's a harbinger like Childe and La Signora?
People love him because he was unexpectedly just an absolute twerp.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Agreed. Vibing > meta.

100%. Side note: I'm really glad I was able to 9 star floor 12 with Amber before this update because these current enemies make it really difficult for her to contribute in a meaningful way aside from just, like, tacking her onto your team to buff them with pyro resonance or something.

PRed

Jan 7, 2018

Traveler - 30
Amber - 20 (ascended)
Kaeya - 20 (ascended)
Lisa - 20 (ascended)
Noelle - 1
Razor - 1
Xingqiu - 1

What I heard so far:
- Skip Lisa and Amber;

I recommend pulling for a recent DPS unit instead of investing in what you currently have, but it's up to you what banners interest you.

As for what you currently have:
  • Traveler is usable forever because they gain more elements as new continents/nations are unlocked. Geo Traveler does the most damage of all elements so far, so I recommend building on Geo element once you unlock it.
  • Kaeya is best of the free units and usable as a Cryo support or physical DPS. Don't pursue DPS build on him long-term unless you really like the character, his DPS is subpar at best, but he's a solid melee Cryo support at endgame.
  • Razor is a solid DPS, but split physical/Electro and has less DPS than recent units. I forgot what constellation level he's recommended at.
  • Xingqui is an endgame support unit, but wants at least constellation 2 to maximise his potential. If you have a pyro DPS or cryo DPS, Xingqui can enable Vaporise/Frozen reactions with each normal hit. At early game, I don't see how he can help much since he needs high energy recharge%.
  • Until you get a shield unit, Barbara's healing will help.
  • Noelle is a split-stat healer/tank/sub-dps, and without months of investment through artifacts and weapon refinement, I wouldn't recommend her for anything. I say this as a c6 Noelle owner.

Oct 27, 2017
Is Skyward Harp the most futureproofed weapon thus far?

No, it is a good all-around weapon, but its weaknesses are:
• Very low crit secondary stat
• 20% CritD on passive is worse than 20% ATK% on other weapons
• Passive that deals mediocre physical damage, doesn't even work with supports
• Refinements grant very little power increase

WGS is futureproof because it has more stats, good passive that works on both supports and carries, and its refinements matter way more.

When will I get my WGS :(

Harp has a survivorship bias, but it is because we only had one support 5* bow... The new 5* bow will smoke harp on heroes like Childe or Yoimiya.

anemovision

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Aug 8, 2018
Thaaaaanks :)

Yes, I use an ultrawide monitor, so 2.39:1 is my default aspect ratio.

But I have custom resolutions for different aspect ratios though, so sometimes I switch to 2:1 or even 3:4 for some shots. Like this:
ZY8aTa.png

that's so sick, how do you change the aspect ratio? Like in game graphics settings? Looks perfect for a phone wallpaper, make me some Bennett ones please 😌

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's so sick, how do you change the aspect ratio? Like in game graphics settings? Looks perfect for a phone wallpaper, make me some Bennett ones please 😌
Short answer: by creating custom resolutions that let me run my desktop at 4500x6000 (it will downsample and will have black bars on the sides of the screen).

Complicated answer: It's based on how Nvidia DSR works. Basically you can use DSR to give yourself resolutions higher than your monitor supports, like creating a 4K res on a 1080p monitor. Nvidia will downsample for you and make the game look better.

That's based on multiplayers. So a 3840x2160 resolution has a 2x multiplier for width and height. I found where these multipliers are stored in the registry, and created a tool that lets you create any custom resolutions you want which will convert to the format the registry needs. So I can have resolutions in windows like this:

QokCunW.png

More info here: https://framedsc.github.io/GeneralGuides/custom_dsr_resolutions.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.