• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Been a reaaaally busy month for me and now I'm trying to speedrun the Midsummer Island Adventurr content.

The Golden Apple Archipelago being time-gated is dumb enough, but them ending this event before that ends is even dumber. Like the archipelago will be around for another three weeks, why not this event as well?

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Been a reaaaally busy month for me and now I'm trying to speedrun the Midsummer Island Adventurr content.

The Golden Apple Archipelago being time-gated is dumb enough, but them ending this event before that ends is even dumber. Like the archipelago will be around for another three weeks, why not this event as well?
I'm of the opinion that Mihoyo still doesn't know what they want this game to be. They put in challenge content but also have lots of minigames, the story is all over the place. It just seems like they can't make up their minds. I do wonder if this was what Honkai was like in the beginning, as I was told it took about a year for the game to really find its focus.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So how is the game for free/ minimal spend/ Does it need lots of grind in that case? I don't want to start and sink in a lot of hours only to hit a paywall.

For a F2P or minimal spender, which is what I consider myself too, who wants to play through the main story, character stories and do world exploration there is no paywall and no excessive grinding needed. It's fairly easy content and you are provided with all the characters, weapons and stuff you need by just playing the game.
Where the game gets grindy and expensive, is if you want to collect many or all of the 5 star characters and their fancy signature weapons to upgrade them to the max. That's a luxury and imo not worth it at all.

Last edited:

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
So how is the game for free/ minimal spend/ Does it need lots of grind in that case? I don't want to start and sink in a lot of hours only to hit a paywall.

Not a paywall, no. It's fine to be a low spender. But I do think the game pulls a true bait and switch, where it presents itself as one thing and then turns into another.

You start out thinking you're playing a really delightful, exploration-heavy RPG. But eventually, you'll reach the end of that content & find yourself playing a game about building characters through the slowest, most glacial progression systems you've ever encountered.

Almost everyone loves the exploration-RPG part & when we get new doses of it, it's pretty great. But almost no one loves the glacial progression part, because it's excruciating.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Yanfei bonus damage was a sight to behold in the Oceanid challenge.

I'm aiming around 3400 points in each challenge for now. After they're all unlocked I'll see about trying for the whole 30k, but if I can't do it no biggie. Now that I'm on WL8 I can try it co-op with friends too, so I might do that.

I simultaneously like and dislike the modifiers system, but I do think it's a good idea overall. Hopefully one day we'll get an endgame co-op weekly dungeon with something like this.

I'm of the opinion that Mihoyo still doesn't know what they want this game to be. They put in challenge content but also have lots of minigames, the story is all over the place. It just seems like they can't make up their minds. I do wonder if this was what Honkai was like in the beginning, as I was told it took about a year for the game to really find its focus.
Yeah, in the surveys it reads like they're trying to feel what type of content is clicking more with players. My hope is that they'll use that data to find their footing, but who knows how long that will take.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't say it's a paywall but as the initial rewards start to dwindle, it becomes frustrating enough that one would be tempted to spend to make progress or buckle in for the day to day grind. Much like any games as a service model.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just aiming for 3k points per challenge, just to get the namecard. Not going to stress things further.

Oct 26, 2017
Since I like beating a dead horse apparently here's a video from the Honkai 3rd dev team on their main character.

Subtitled in english.

Hearing them talk about how they're integrating Kiana's personality and her story progression into her latest form further illustrates to me the gulf between Honkai and Genshin's MCs.

With PGR coming out in a few weeks it's going to be difficult juggling so many games. So I'm planning on treating Genshin like FFXIV where I stop playing and only come back for the major content updates to play through then leave till the next.

It's become more apparent to me that the only real fun part of this game to me is the exploration content. The battle oriented stuff is non existent and the little that we do get is littered with too much crap that is IMO unfun and badly designed.

So it makes sense to me to play to the game's actual strengths which is exploring the new regions whenever they put one out.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
5850 with Ning, Fischl, Noelle and Diona. Had like a second left on the clock. Took me about 20 tries but they pulled it off!

unknown.png

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Since I like beating a dead horse apparently here's a video from the Honkai 3rd dev team on their main character.

Subtitled in english.

Hearing them talk about how they're integrating Kiana's personality and her story progression into her latest form further illustrates to me the gulf between Honkai and Genshin's MCs.

With PGR coming out in a few weeks it's going to be difficult juggling so many games. So I'm planning on treating Genshin like FFXIV where I stop playing and only come back for the major content updates to play through then leave till the next.

It's become more apparent to me that the only real fun part of this game to me is the exploration content. The battle oriented stuff is non existent and the little that we do get is littered with too much crap that is IMO unfun and badly designed.

So it makes sense to me to play to the game's actual strengths which is exploring the new regions whenever they put one out.

You know, this comparison point would hit a lot more resoundingly, if you weren't referring to the publisher's new IP vs their series that's been around since 2012.

Oct 26, 2017
You know, this comparison point would hit a lot more resoundingly, if you weren't referring to the publisher's new IP vs their series that's been around since 2012.

HI 3rd came out in 2016. The earlier games don't have anything to do with its story.

And the points I referred to have nothing to do with old IP versus new IP. It's due to the narrative design differences between the two games.

The Traveller will never be anything like Kiana regardless of how much time passes due to those differences.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
HI 3rd came out in 2016. The earlier games don't have anything to do with its story.

And the points I referred to have nothing to do with old IP versus new IP. It's due to the narrative design differences between the two games.

The Traveller will never be anything like Kiana regardless of how much time passes due to those differences.

Kiana is literally the main character of all 3 iterations. That does a lot for a basis of what a character can or can not be.

Oct 26, 2017
Kiana is literally the main character of all 3 iterations. That does a lot for a basis of what a character can or can not be.

Honkai Impact 3rd takes place in its own universe/narrative. It is not a continuation of of the first and second game's individual stories.

You do not even
play as Kiana in this game.

The fact of the matter is that the genshin MC is a bland self insert protag that everyone likes to occasionally flirt with (birthday/teapot) so I'm just coming to terms with the fact that they will be nothing more than that and expecting otherwise based on Honkai team's excellent work with Kiana is unrealistic of me.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Honkai Impact 3rd takes place in its own universe/narrative. It is not a continuation of of the first and second game's individual stories.

You do not even
play as Kiana in this game.

The fact of the matter is that the genshin MC is a bland self insert protag that everyone likes to occasionally flirt with (birthday/teapot) so I'm just coming to terms with the fact that they will be nothing more than that and expecting otherwise based on Honkai team's excellent work with Kiana is unrealistic of me.
Honestly, this is pretty much where I'm at as well.

The thing that Honkai has that Genshin just doesn't, is intent. The way things progress, the way the characters play out, the way the gameplay evolves, all feels like there is intent behind it in Honkai. I don't get that sense from Genshin. I really, really enjoyed the exploration in Genshin and thought we'd be getting a lot more of it, but we got basically none for months. I even enjoyed the initial events in the game and some of the side stories are great. But those are exceptionally intermittent now. Honkai has a consistent through line that threads things together. Genshin doesn't.

And without intent, Genshin doesn't feel like it's really going anywhere. Maybe Inazuma will change this, I'm not sure. I will still probably be doing dailies until Baal drops, but Inazuma is kinda their last chance for me. If there isn't some substantial gameplay, some things to actually be worth engaging with on a day-to-day basis (such as artifact reforging, or an endless Abyss mode, etc.), I'll probably just finish whatever content is there and wait until the next major update. Because there isn't much reason to play if there's no challenge and nothing to do once you've completed stuff for the first time.

Here's sort of the other big difference between Honkai and Genshin - there's lots of stuff to do that doesn't require resin (stamina in Honkai), that's impactful to you as a player, and that can be done repeatedly to improve. In Genshin, there's very little to strive for, because there's no content that asks us to. Even in pay to win games, there's almost always something to chase that involves playing the game. There's nothing in Genshin to chase except characters, and those aren't terribly impactful because the game doesn't have any content that might actually make them worth pursuing, and the same is true of 5* weapons.

I know this sounds strange, but honestly? At this point, I would welcome content that actually necessitates 5* weapons, because it would mean that they are introducing content that is going to be hard. I want there to be content like that. Even if I can't complete it, I want it to be there so that I can try. Intent, and something to strive for, are what's missing from Genshin. If they can fix that, they'll be in a way better place than they are right now. But I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017

The thing that Honkai has that Genshin just doesn't, is intent. The way things progress, the way the characters play out, the way the gameplay evolves, all feels like there is intent behind it in Honkai. I don't get that sense from Genshin. I really, really enjoyed the exploration in Genshin and thought we'd be getting a lot more of it, but we got basically none for months. I even enjoyed the initial events in the game and some of the side stories are great. But those are exceptionally intermittent now. Honkai has a consistent through line that threads things together. Genshin doesn't.

And without intent, Genshin doesn't feel like it's really going anywhere. Maybe Inazuma will change this, I'm not sure. I will still probably be doing dailies until Baal drops, but Inazuma is kinda their last chance for me. If there isn't some substantial gameplay, some things to actually be worth engaging with on a day-to-day basis (such as artifact reforging, or an endless Abyss mode, etc.), I'll probably just finish whatever content is there and wait until the next major update. Because there isn't much reason to play if there's no challenge and nothing to do once you've completed stuff for the first time.

Here's sort of the other big difference between Honkai and Genshin - there's lots of stuff to do that doesn't require resin (stamina in Honkai), that's impactful to you as a player, and that can be done repeatedly to improve. In Genshin, there's very little to strive for, because there's no content that asks us to. Even in pay to win games, there's almost always something to chase that involves playing the game. There's nothing in Genshin to chase except characters, and those aren't terribly impactful because the game doesn't have any content that might actually make them worth pursuing, and the same is true of 5* weapons.

I know this sounds strange, but honestly? At this point, I would welcome content that actually necessitates 5* weapons, because it would mean that they are introducing content that is going to be hard. I want there to be content like that. Even if I can't complete it, I want it to be there so that I can try. Intent, and something to strive for, are what's missing from Genshin. If they can fix that, they'll be in a way better place than they are right now. But I'm not holding my breath.
I'd argue that Honkai is far too bloated. There are a million different tabs to access and the dailies force you to waste stamina on mission types you may not want to do lest you miss out on the daily crystals. I'm actually glad Genshin is pretty lean as far as Gacha games go.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all remember when you talked shit about Eula ?

She's so fucking good on that day 3 challenge. Her ult is perfect for bursting both of them.

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, my point is that Genshin does not currently have anything worth grinding gear for.

Maybe in the future it will but it doesn't right now.

And if it does in the future it might also at the same time make some changes to the gearing to make it less painful.

So it makes sense to play to the game's strengths since there is something I do like about it( the exploration).

Honkai has stuff worth grinding characters and gear for and PGR has end game modes (Pain Cage, Warzone) right off the bat so those will have something that I can use my gear investment on. I also like Honkai's combat better so there's also that and PGR looks like it will be amazing to play as well.

I'd argue that Honkai is far too bloated. There are a million different tabs to access and the dailies force you to waste stamina on mission types you may not want to do lest you miss out on the daily crystals. I'm actually glad Genshin is pretty lean as far as Gacha games go.

I've played it casually for the story and a few other things here and there for the most part so I can get how it would seem that way.

But I think if you play it regularly it starts to become second nature. Also the fact that you're moving through menus means you can get to different things a lot faster than you do in Genshin where you have to teleport and run around.

I think the only potentially wasteful thing is some of the material stages as you might not need the upgrade mats at the moment but pretty much everything else you want to do when you can like adventure tasks, sim battle, etc.

jRPG

Dec 13, 2017
Today's event challenge has crushed my spirit.

Still on track for the nameplate at least, but definitely saying goodbye to full rewards. I got a fraction of the points I have for the previous two. It feels monumentally harder than the last two, but maybe it's just a case of figuring out the best strategy. Like fighting without sprinting is weird, and I have no idea why Zhongli's shield is dying so quickly.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017

Still on track for the nameplate at least, but definitely saying goodbye to full rewards. I got a fraction of the points I have for the previous two. It feels monumentally harder than the last two, but maybe it's just a case of figuring out the best strategy. Like fighting without sprinting is weird, and I have no idea why Zhongli's shield is dying so quickly.
4 big slashes and 1 anmeo/cryo explotion from the other one.
2-3 slashes is enough to break Zhongli's shield.

PRed

Jan 7, 2018
The anemo slashes will track your character so just sprint in any one direction or chain dodge.

The anemo boss is ranged so kill it first, then focus on cryo which is melee. Don't take the debuff which requires you to kill both together.

When the cryo boss prepares to use its ground ice skill, get out of its range by dodging. Use a shield if you need to, Noelle/Zhongli shields can take a few ticks of damage while you sprint to safety. Healing can substitute for shields. Abuse invincibility frames on elemental bursts. Don't get cornered by it -- if you're hugging the wall, sprint for your life

Bring a ranged unit that can target the cryo boss while it's busy acting like it's god of its own realm. Ning works well, so does most archers

I have no idea why Childe is recommended for this fight.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno what I ticked, but the first try made CEO's shields look like Diona's(lvl. 70 talent 4 garbo artifacts) the damage was insane.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, today's challenge...

I legit don't know how you do any of these on Expert without a Zhongli.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

lol this event
I'm just gonna get the primos and log off

- Boost your Zhongli with HP items like a level 90 Black Tassel
- Eat a Moon Pie
- Have a support character like Fischl or Albedo with 4-set Millelith

That should give all the shield strength you need to endure the fight with a decently built carry like Eula. I also drank an anemo resist potion (the first one I ever felt the need to use since Day 1) just so I could face tank the anemo slashes while I did my thing with Eula.

Here's an imperfect run that got the job done:

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
For 2 silver books I don't need and a little mora? I'll pass. More power to you if you think this event is fun, but the non-primo rewards are a joke.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here I was feeling good that I'm about to hit 10 million...

Y'all scaring me with this boss. Edit: the level of bullshit... Zhongli's shield has never crumbled that fast. Stop cheating Mihoyo. Managed to get 4300 after toning things down a bit.

Last edited:

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
yah, i don't think i will get all the rewards this time, i am okey only getting the banner (21K).

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're really gonna put a new exclamation point over "special event" every day huh... the evil. ;_;

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They're really gonna put a new exclamation point over "special event" every day huh... the evil. ;_;

Yeah, I hate it, lol.
I already know I will have to fuck up Benny, once the inevitable happens and I get him to C6, just because I won't be able to stand that eternal red exclamation mark taunting and mocking me.

crying-screaming-sobbing-guy-gif-first-world-problems.gif

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hate it, lol.
I already know I will have to fuck up Benny, once the inevitable happens and I get him to C6, just because I won't be able to stand that eternal red exclamation mark taunting and mocking me.

crying-screaming-sobbing-guy-gif-first-world-problems.gif

I don't follow Bennett enough to know what's wrong with his C6, but I find it hilarious that of all the characters his apparently makes him worse. Almost as if it was intentional lol.

But also I'm so sorry.
tenor.gif

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow Bennett enough to know what's wrong with his C6, but I find it hilarious that of all the characters his apparently makes him worse. Almost as if it was intentional lol.

But also I'm so sorry.
tenor.gif

Benny is an amazing support character, in a tier with Zhongli and Venti. He's great for basically every team composition, because you can use healing, attack buff and good pyro damage in basically every team. Unfortunately his C6 fundamentally changes the way his burst works. Apart from healing and buffing characters now every attack within its circle is turned into a pyro attack and that throws out a number of team compositions, some of the best, that you were able to build with him.
I think it is intentional. ;) Benny is all about his awful luck. Him being such a great character and him getting with his final constellation a supposedly great boost that however also messes him up at the same time, is perfectly in line with that,.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Envi is getting melted by today's challenge in a way I've never seen Envi get melted before

www.twitch.tv

Enviosity - Twitch

Loading Bio...

I cannot imagine a scenario where this challenge is doable at max difficulty without Zhongli or something truly ludicrous like C6 Eula with a hyperwhale team and weapons refinements to burst the enemies down before they do their infinite damage.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So the first few tries on the challenge I could not believe how difficult it was. However it suddenly just "clicked" for me and now I think it's fun as hell and very intriguing. The absolute main thing was dodging/completing avoiding the wind blades, otherwise it was just a slaughter. Got over 4k points with Zhongli, Childe, Fischl and Bennett.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Genshin Impact community: lol there's not enough challenging content to even warrant good weapons on your characters let alone level them to 90

Also Genshin Impact community: why is this event so hard tho ;_;

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Hard content is fine, but Genshin's combat is mediocre and the content itself is horribly balanced. It has me questioning if Mihoyo knows what they're doing.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Genshin Impact community: lol there's not enough challenging content to even warrant good weapons on your characters let alone level them to 90

Also Genshin Impact community: why is this event so hard tho ;_;

won't catch me complaining the game isn't more difficult lol
Genshin is a game you play for a little every day not hours on end

Status
Not open for further replies.