• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
I'm not at all arguing against more male characters. My favorite characters are dudes. But it's not because they're dudes, it's because they're interesting. Let us walk through the banners since launch.

Also a really good point. Though

I'd also say Jean and Signoria have also had pretty big roles.

This is a good addition. Ningguang also has a pretty prominent role in the story & more depth than the average character--we see her ambition, but also her willingness to sacrifice everything she's worked for. Does Paimon count? If so, Paimon is obviously *very* prominent. Amber, Lisa, Barbara and Qiqi also show up during the main quest... but we've all noticed that the release characters are better integrated into the game.

When it came out, the game *felt* so well crafted. Stuff like character variety and development were a huge part of that. Lately, even though there have been some great updates and fun events, Genshin feels rudderless and scattershot. And part of that is the introduction of poorly developed characters who expand the cast without contributing much to the story.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Also a really good point. Though

This is a good addition. Ningguang also has a pretty prominent role in the story & more depth than the average character--we see her ambition, but also her willingness to sacrifice everything she's worked for. Does Paimon count? If so, Paimon is obviously *very* prominent. Amber, Lisa, Barbara and Qiqi also show up during the main quest... but we've all noticed that the release characters are better integrated into the game.

When it came out, the game *felt* so well crafted. Stuff like character variety and development were a huge part of that. Lately, even though there have been some great updates and fun events, Genshin feels rudderless and scattershot. And part of that is the introduction of poorly developed characters who expand the cast without contributing much to the story.
Oh there definitely are important and interesting women in the world. I mean, I don't think Jean is super interesting, but she's important. Signora, Ning, and so on. Even Lisa and Amber are important to Mondstadt and appear quite regularly.

I meant more about banner characters, and how when people see Zhongli/Venti topping the charts that doesn't necessarily mean that people are pulling because they're men. They're interesting. They have purpose and presence in the world. I have no doubt that we'll continue to see Zhongli and Venti for years to come with the story. I have no doubt that we'll get another big Albedo quest. I have no doubt that we'll see more Xiao, even if it's just in the shadows of Zhongli.

Honestly, Xinyan should be a travelling musician who is constantly appearing as a side character when you visit a new region or new area. Diona should search the world for the most disgusting ingredients to make a gross drink. Not every character needs to have some huge presence, but of the banner characters, I have no faith that any of them will appear again in a meaningful way, except maybe Rosaria when we finish up Albedo's quest and Klee if we ever see her mom.

Last edited:

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I like this event just cause it lets me use 5 stars that i dont have
With Albedo i can see why people want him now, personally dont like his design but hes pretty useful. Mona and keiqeing eh i wouldnt lose much sleep if i never pulled them but still nice to be able to try them out.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
I think we'll see better done female characters introduced when we get more female archons. But if the female archon quests aren't on the same level of quality as Venti and Zhongli, then we know we're in trouble. That said, I don't think the female character quests are that much worse than the male character quests as a whole when you take Venti and Zhongli out of consideration. I found Xiao's to be just as bad as Ganyu's. And they were all pretty inconsequential outside of maybe Albedo's, and I didn't find Albedo's particularly fun either. Granted I didn't do Childe's story quest yet so I can't speak on that (I really don't like Childe, but that's a personal hangup).

That's not to say there isn't room for improvement with the current crop of female characters. I think they did really well when designing Ningguang and Beidou in regards to design and personality, which explains why their popularity is pretty even among both female and male players. They're conventionally attractive and some of their design aspects do fall into the typical trappings (high heels/no pants). But they look and act so fucking cool, and they feel like characters I would want to be. Contrast this with like Eula, who also looks pretty cool (minus the heels and thigh gaps), but who kind of acts like a joke and doesn't have a personality that inspires many people to want to be like her. Couple this with they way she was advertised with the dancing, the butt shots, boob-gazing, and the cute sneezing and you can tell she was tailored to appeal to straight guys specifically rather than a character like Ningguang who's appeal is more broad.

Also, I realize I've been picking on Eula a lot and I don't want to come across like I'm judging anyone for liking her. I actually like her too - I love some parts of her design, she's pretty as hell, and I think she's a cute/fun character who is lovably weird. It's just a pet peeve of mine when a character's design and personality is compromised to appeal to the waifu crowd, and I feel like Eula is an example of that. She could have been a lot cooler (imo).

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
every character has been targeted to people's preferences.

The male cast could be slotted right into any Otome game.

The whole idea is to make characters that appeal to people...so they pull for them. That happens with designs, gameplay and yes even some fetish bait.

I can forsee with Inazuma one of the characters will be a sukeban type. We will probably also get a shut in type. And a yandere soon.

When you have a game with a large ass cast, you are going to get tropes you may not care for...its the nature of the beast imo

okita

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the new event , it's obviously a showcase for some characters, but had some fun on the first two dungeons. Trying to play with mona (which I don't have :cries ) the way I'm used to play with normal dash is funny and awkward , don't have Albedo as well had some fun with meme flower boy. Have all the others so it's much more natural to play with them

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Primos and cheevos. They really got me.

It's like ~15k mora per day too, which is great if you're me and constantly poor. Doesn't take long but it's fucking boring and I would definitely not recommend it lol.

I used to farm the daily events back when you could just log in and out and they would respawn. But now I just swap to my friendship team whenever I happen to encounter one.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
swear allegiance to lord Dainsleif

That would be Zhongli.

Never! I could never go against the will of Zhongli.

giphy.gif

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
the only genshin boots i have any interest in are

actually i don't care about boots nevermind

gimme dainslief

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I think we'll see better done female characters introduced when we get more female archons. But if the female archon quests aren't on the same level of quality as Venti and Zhongli, then we know we're in trouble. That said, I don't think the female character quests are that much worse than the male character quests as a whole when you take Venti and Zhongli out of consideration. I found Xiao's to be just as bad as Ganyu's. And they were all pretty inconsequential outside of maybe Albedo's, and I didn't find Albedo's particularly fun either. Granted I didn't do Childe's story quest yet so I can't speak on that (I really don't like Childe, but that's a personal hangup).

That's not to say there isn't room for improvement with the current crop of female characters. I think they did really well when designing Ningguang and Beidou in regards to design and personality, which explains why their popularity is pretty even among both female and male players. They're conventionally attractive and some of their design aspects do fall into the typical trappings (high heels/no pants). But they look and act so fucking cool, and they feel like characters I would want to be. Contrast this with like Eula, who also looks pretty cool (minus the heels and thigh gaps), but who kind of acts like a joke and doesn't have a personality that inspires many people to want to be like her. Couple this with they way she was advertised with the dancing, the butt shots, boob-gazing, and the cute sneezing and you can tell she was tailored to appeal to straight guys specifically rather than a character like Ningguang who's appeal is more broad.

Also, I realize I've been picking on Eula a lot and I don't want to come across like I'm judging anyone for liking her. I actually like her too - I love some parts of her design, she's pretty as hell, and I think she's a cute/fun character who is lovably weird. It's just a pet peeve of mine when a character's design and personality is compromised to appeal to the waifu crowd, and I feel like Eula is an example of that. She could have been a lot cooler (imo).

Eula is the character I like the most but I know people relate to different characters for different reasons. It annoys me when people call her a waifu. I really like Ningguang as well and I think they did a good job with her. I wish Beidou was in the story more as well (I just randomly stumbled on her ship the other night haha) I don't think the male characters have had better character quests either necessarily, I at least have faith that they can make good ones for the women if they try. There are just some characters they try harder with than others. I think Yan Fei actually had one of the better ones even though it technically wasn't a character quest, it made me like her at least. Makes me think that I like character quests that are more tied in with the world or the game's systems like how Yan Fei introduced the housing and Albedo's at the launch of Dragonspine.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I used to farm the daily events back when you could just log in and out and they would respawn.
That's still how it works, I just stay in one location - log in, event spawn, exit, repeat. On PS5 the load times are really quick from the login screen to the overworld, so it's a little more bearable.

There's one random event I really dislike and it's the "elemental dust" one where you need to swap in an anemo character, and that usually means a friendship squad member loses out on 15 friendship points. I've always been too afraid to spawn a different one by exiting in case it reduces the 10-count by one.

God I don't know why I've kept this up but I'll be so happy when it's over...

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
some people use the label "waifu" based on nothing but looks, and ignoring personality, and since eula's definitely designed to look sexy first, functional second, they default to "waifu", and i don't think that's... right, cause eula's personality is definitely not "waifu"

that said, i am not people and i hate labeling things "waifu" or "husbando" or whatever the fuck, it comes off as childish and reductive, NO THANKS

🥶

i just wish they'd stop making lady characters hot by giving them thigh highs and lingerie, it's so boring and exhausting, eula's just another example in a long line ;_; and then, the hot dudes are the other side of the spectrum, clothed in rad fashion, with little deviance (maybe xiao, i think xiao would be an exception)

ps kazuha looks great fuck the haters

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like Misty Dungeon. It's... not very deep, and the novelty of "wow not my units" wears out pretty fast as there's no real difficulty or depth here to require any actual smart team building, just throw together Albedo, Noelle, Kequing and then some filler and you steamroll the whole thing without even needing to plan. This feels, really, about as well thought out as Contending Tides they just put it in a map that masks the overall repetitive and dull nature of it.

I actually prefer Windtrace to this, at least Windtrace was trying something new. This is just a Domain with rather than 1 challenge key at the center of the room, 8 challenge keys spread out over a larger room of identical halls and rooms, and now I can't use my characters but characters I don't own or care about.

----

I feel like most of the characters in this game are pretty one-dimensional and about as defined as a piece of white paper. There's only like Venti who I'd consider characterized and developed beyond an overall shallow dimensionality. Zhong Li is designed very much like an Otome character but he has a decent depth to him beyond that but he's not nearly as well developed as Venti.

The rest of the cast are basically vacant tropes or don't even have a character beyond a one note-definition. As much as I may like characters for whatever attachment I have from them from owning them like Ganyu, she's... not really a person. She's a trope and characterized as one with basically zero expansion of her identity beyond "work-a-holic" and woe is me "I don't belong", with the latter never having really landed with me as making much sense. Xinyan isn't even a character, she's basically "but what if rock-n-roll", they've done absolutely nothing with her.

I actually think Eula's one of their better made 5* characters recently because while she's a trope and pander central, she's playing off a bit more humor rather than trying to be super cereal batwoman to the much more straight laced characters in the rest of the cast. Eula feels like a more natural Hu Tao, where I found Hu Tao's "wow quirky, wow so humor" to be really forced and kinda dumb.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like most of the characters in this game are pretty one-dimensional and about as defined as a piece of white paper. There's only like Venti who I'd consider characterized and developed beyond an overall shallow dimensionality. Zhong Li is designed very much like an Otome character but he has a decent depth to him beyond that but he's not nearly as well developed as Venti.

The rest of the cast are basically vacant tropes or don't even have a character beyond a one note-definition. As much as I may like characters for whatever attachment I have from them from owning them like Ganyu, she's... not really a person. She's a trope and characterized as one with basically zero expansion of her identity beyond "work-a-holic" and woe is me "I don't belong", with the latter never having really landed with me as making much sense. Xinyan isn't even a character, she's basically "but what if rock-n-roll", they've done absolutely nothing with her.

I actually think Eula's one of their better made 5* characters recently because while she's a trope and pander central, she's playing off a bit more humor rather than trying to be super cereal batwoman to the much more straight laced characters in the rest of the cast. Eula feels like a more natural Hu Tao, where I found Hu Tao's "wow quirky, wow so humor" to be really forced and kinda dumb.
i was with you until you shit talked hu tao

you're FIRED

it IS funny how to this day, venti is still the most developed character, with the most depth AND breadth

;_;

cormags

Mar 1, 2020
They're sowing the seeds of a successful Albedo rerun with this event, I see.

Re: character writing I have high hopes for Raiden. From what little we know of her they've set up a really interesting premise of a character

Last edited:

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
actually now that albedo has been mentioned, i think he gets a real bad rap

he rules and i loved his quest, the only problem with it is that it just... ended

albedo part 2 WHEN

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
...Sigh. Watches thread.

Been playing the game since it came out all while having horrendous luck with getting any of the characters I want.

Witch of Miracles

One Winged Slayer
Jun 13, 2019
United Kingdom
For someone thats going on a Vision Hunt, i hope Raiden is sufficiently cruel and evil, and that they don't pull a "shes misunderstood" or accept whatever excuse she has. We got Childe so there is no reason they can't make her a full on villain and playable.

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For someone thats going on a Vision Hunt, i hope Raiden is sufficiently cruel and evil, and that they don't pull a "shes misunderstood" or accept whatever excuse she has. We got Childe so there is no reason they can't make her a full on villain and playable.

They're 100% pulling a she's misunderstood.

How many evil characters do we have in the cast right now? I count zero. Even the Tzaritsa is presented as able to be handwaved with "for the greater good", and the Harbingers too (see: Childe).

Childe tried to wipe out Liyue and we waved that off with "oh he has a brother, he's human and how cool is that".

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot that Albedo might get a rerun soon. With Dainsleif like 10 years away, I shall save up for Albedo instead!

Get ready to be disappointed right now then cause I have a feeling their gonna go with misunderstood.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
So i have pretty much built Eula to perfection now and goddamn she hits like a jet powered truck, she is so broken she kinda doesn't need teammates and when i run her with Mona, Xiangling and and Fishl it's just armageddon, it's kinda hard to tell how much damage her ult does because everything dies before it pops.

I was kinda expecting her to only do physical damage but she kinda does a lot of cryo damage too, it's definitely worth it bring her elemental mastery up a bit.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

It'll be interesting to see what they will do with Raiden. She will be the first archon that will have an antagonistic attitude towards us. Venti quickly became our best buddy and with Zhongli we have long walks and dates, lol.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
So i have pretty much built Eula to perfection now and goddamn she hits like a jet powered truck, she is so broken she kinda doesn't need teammates and when i run her with Mona, Xiangling and and Fishl it's just armageddon, it's kinda hard to tell how much damage her ult does because everything dies before it pops.

I was kinda expecting her to only do physical damage but she kinda does a lot of cryo damage too, it's defiantly worth bring her elemental mastery up a bit.
That's why they introduced the Herald and Lector shields, a 2nd healthbar that is immune against big numbers and just cares about reactions/second, so that even if your damage output gets into the hundred thousands or millions, it's impossible to one shot everything.

okita

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see why a Vision Hunt is a bad thing, the game already "throwed" shade at the gods, just look at Dainsleif and sibling story and right now we don't have an idea which side is right or wrong (might even be gray area territory)

Witch of Miracles

One Winged Slayer
Jun 13, 2019
United Kingdom
I don't see why a Vision Hunt is a bad thing, the game already throwed shade at the gods, just look at Dainsleif and sibling story and right now we don't have an idea which side is right or wrong.
The Vision hunt is very bad, her taking every vision in Inazuma and punishing those that refuse to hand it over. Shes doing this because she thinks (or atleast according to Zhongli) that only the divine can use them. Shes full on authoritarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.