• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
This comparison from Reddit is pretty damning. 4 star female and male characters compared:

cu3xm35e0g071.png

Please add more male characters, Mihoyo, it's not as if they aren't popular. Also, enough with new cryo and pyro characters, lol.

This is why I'm going to hate the Honkai crossovers in Inazuma lol
Minimal dude crumbs

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Yes I know there are more floors, I just don't know how they work. I don't want to try them right now after just getting through 7 and 8 though! Maybe sometime later.

At best you could do like I used to do and just clear the first two harder floors which are really easy. 11-12 might take a stronger party. Better to get some gems out of it than no gems but really up to you.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This comparison from Reddit is pretty damning. 4 star female and male characters compared:

cu3xm35e0g071.png

Please add more male characters, Mihoyo, it's not as if they aren't popular. Also, enough with new cryo and pyro characters, lol.
Someone in the comments also pointed out that every single female character added after release has been either Pyro or Cryo. Even the leaked ones. lol

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
The new event is fun, getting to use all the five star characters and throw bursts out all the time. It makes me wish I had Albedo, I like him and I guess I wasn't playing much when his banner was up so I missed it.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Wow.
New event makes me really like Albedo. I want to put him on all the teams.

Keqing is stylish but the charge attack gameplay I see everyone use feels weird because it constantly knocks the smaller enemies away. Not a fan.

The trial units are really solid at C0 which means my Sucrose with C1 has amazing energy regen. I'm throwing that ult out all the time.

... not sure why Amber is in this lineup, competition for team slots is stiff. Maybe for the future shooting trial, there's no other archers available. Oh wait, Diona! Right!

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Wow.

Keqing is stylish but the charge attack gameplay I see everyone use feels weird because it constantly knocks the smaller enemies away. Not a fan.

The trial units are really solid at C0 which means my Sucrose with C1 has amazing energy regen. I'm throwing that ult out all the time.

... not sure why Amber is in this lineup, competition for team slots is stiff. Maybe for the future shooting trial, there's no other archers available. Oh wait, Diona! Right!
Albedo is a great support in basically any team. Much like Fischl, just a ton of passive damage. Even better if you have Ningguang / Zhongli.

Oct 27, 2017
So glad I'm finally done with Windtrace. I honestly thought about whether or not I wanted to finish for the name card. I hated this mini game so much...

Back to pulling the grind I guess. Just gathering books and level up materials now, but it does feel like a bit of a slog. I think I'm finally slowing down on this game. Trying to decide if I want to pull for Eula or Klee. Both seem good.
i mean i think it was funny in a memey way.... and you could literally get everything with like 25 or so losses... maybe it would take 2 hours tops for 420 gems its not bad... you could do it on the phone while watching a movie... i think its a funny mimi game that should be perma with more maps and more abilities ... refresh the prizes every 3 weeks or every patch with enough grind for the ppl that like it.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

Out-of-the-box Albedo is great. He's the lowest maintenance character in the game - plop his flower down and let the rest of your team get to work.

Albedo with no other geo: Great
Albedo with a Zhongli: Absolutely incredible
Albedo with a Zhongli while Albedo wears a full Def Millelith 4-set that stays proc'd 100% of the time due to Albedo's flower always delivering damage: This is it, this is the endgame.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Out-of-the-box Albedo is great. He's the lowest maintenance character in the game - plop his flower down and let the rest of your team get to work.

Albedo with no other geo: Great
Albedo with a Zhongli: Absolutely incredible
Albedo with a Zhongli while Albedo wears a full Def Millelith 4-set that stays proc'd 100% of the time due to Albedo's flower always delivering damage: This is it, this is the endgame.
The third one does that mean you can outfit Zhongli with a more damage centric set? Would his shield be worse or does Albedo wearing the set make them the same as he would be wearing it?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The third one does that mean you can outfit Zhongli with a more damage centric set? Would his shield be worse or does Albedo wearing the set make them the same as he would be wearing it?

That's exactly right. As soon as my Albedo was outfitted with 4-set Millelith to perma-increase shields by 30% and attack by 20%, I switched out Zhongli's HP sands for an Attack sands.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Chubby, whyyyyy...

FiMHjsZ.jpg

At least he brought me a Shiba this time:

SB7j5PU.jpg

I was planning to switch my mansion to Mondstadt-style and move it to the higher area. I'll do it this weekend.

cu3xm35e0g071.png

Damn, when put this way it gets even more glaring. Give us more dudes, Mihoyo. :(

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
And we've had zero 4* males post launch. Mihoyo come on.

damn didn't realise it was that bad re: 4* males.
really hope they add more.

Damn, when put this way it gets even more glaring. Give us more dudes, Mihoyo. :(

Considering Benny and Xing are basically 5 star characters in 4 star disguises, we have only three 4 star male characters. O:

lol.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
happy to see Albedo Enjoyers here

I really struggle not to put him in all my teams because I like supports that allow me to press one button and then not worry about switching back to them for a while. especially since there's no in-game timers to show when elemental skills are up, it's really nice to just be able to go "oh the glowing circle isn't there, guess it's albedo time"

it's basically the same reason that I like fischl - good character that's also extremely easy to use and allows high uptime on your carry

(my current eula team is eula/diona/fischl/albedo, so the lowest elemental skill cooldown on a support is 15 seconds lol)

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hate the new event tbh. I mean the event itself is fine but I don't like being forced to use specific trial characters.

How dare they not allow Zhongli to participate. What, they expect me to just exist without his shield all of a sudden? This lack of order is insulting.

And why are the available characters not my own if I have that character. Like... I have a level 90 Keqing. Why am I not allowed to bring her instead of this level 80 doppelgänger.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The new event is fun, I like using characters I haven't used much before, because I don't own them. But even though I read through the guide I completely forgot to do the one thing I was supposed to do, lol: plunge attacks!

Last edited:

SpookySpice

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 22, 2019
I'm enjoying the trial characters! I don't have Albedo or Keqing and it's fun to finally try them outside the trials. This has cemented that I really don't like Keqing's playstyle. Hate wasting all my stamina on charge attacks for damage, but Albedo is great, I just wish he was taller :|

This is another fun type of dungeon that would actually be enjoyable in co-op with some added difficulty levels or modifiers. Like do you split up or stick together to get the runes, etc. It kind of feels wasted on a limited time event :(

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
Do you also use Albedo as a support? Because using him with a focus on physical damage sort of misses out on his most valuable feature, which is the damage from his E blooms while he's off-field. Since the E scales off defense, it's rare for Albedo to be used as an auto-attacker.

Yes, I also use him for his EM boost. But the thing is that I don't much like the gameplay of switching to one character, only to launch one skill and switch again. I prefer team setups that minimize that, even if it's less efficient. My Albedo is a tank that need very little healing.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of male 4 stars is so annoying.

The lack of male characters in general is annoying. And it makes absolutely no business sense for Mihoyo, because their "husbandos" are just as popular if not even more popular than their "waifus". It's understandable for the first several months of the game's life cycle, because they came from Honkai with a game and playerbase that only cares for female characters, but by now they must have realised their Genshin playerbase is different and also cares for male characters.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of male characters in general is annoying. And it makes absoluitely no business sense for Mihoyo, because their "husbandos" are just as popular if not even more popular than their "waifus". It's understandable for the first several months of the game's life cycle, because they came from Honkai with a game and playerbase that only cares for female characters, but by now they must have realised their Genshin playerbase is different and also cares for male characters.

Fully agree. Also to be honest I think their male characters as a whole are better written too since they can't just be cute anime girl #365 to get people to roll for them.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I liked hide and seek more than this new event.

Let me use my characters. If you want them to be normalized power-wise, fine. But I don't want to play Keqing. I don't use Sucrose. The only people I use in this batch are Albedo and Diona.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fully agree. Also to be honest I think their male characters as a whole are better written too since they can't just be cute anime girl #365 to get people to roll for them.

It's weird, you don't even realize the severe lack of male characters that much, unless you are shown a comparison like the one above, I guess because male characters are actually despite their small number so prominent in the game and the game story: like the male MC being the canon hero, Venti and Zhongli as the first archons and characters like Childe, Dainsleif, Xiao and Diluc being so prominent in the story and character quests.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
its almost like they know they have to put more effort into their dudes to get their investment back whereas horny hetero males will open their wallet for boobs and thighs

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
Mystic dungeon isn't bad. I always feel awkward when i first start using a character, so I was bumbling around with Mona and Keqing and not really knowing what i was doing. But it's fun to sort of figure things out. Mona seems kind of awkward? The dash really does interrupt your flow so I kept having to remind myself not to use it.

playerbase that only cares for female characters, but by now they must have realised their Genshin playerbase is different and also cares for male characters.

There are many, many examples of companies that refuse to market/cater to female customers, long after evidence has mounted to the sky to show that we're interested, engaged, and have disposable income. I should go look it up--there's at least one example of a toy line that shut down rather than cater to the female customers standing by with wallets open.

On mobile at least I think there's something close to a 50/50 gender split. Yet totally not surprised that Mihoyo treats women as though they don't exist/don't matter.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
It's weird, you don't even realize the severe lack of male characters that much, unless you are shown a comparison like the one above, I guess because male characters are actually despite their small number so prominent in the game and the game story: like the male MC being the canon hero, Venti and Zhongli as the first archons and characters like Childe, Dainsleif, Xiao and Diluc being so prominent in the story and character quests.

If anything that just shows that the women should be more prominent, not that they need more male characters.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The new Mystic event shouldn't be an event - it should permenantly supplement Trials for characters that come out on banners. This event will sell more Albedos than any standard Albedo trial could've done.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not at all arguing against more male characters. My favorite characters are dudes. But it's not because they're dudes, it's because they're interesting. Let us walk through the banners since launch.

Venti - Central character to the entire Mondstadt story. Great voice. Constantly popping up.
Klee - Just her story quest. I think she might have popped up in the Mondstadt story quickly at one point, but honestly, don't remember.
Childe - Central to the Liyue story. The antagonist.
Diona - Nothing. Has a hangout.
Zhongli - Liyue Archon. Central character to the entire Liyue story. Constantly poppin' up.
Xinyan - Nothing. Literally nothing.
Albedo - Protagonist of the Dragonspine story. Has even popped up since his story.
Ganyu - Popped up once in the Liyue story and said three lines. Also her own horrible story quest.
Xiao - Basically had his own event and popped up multiple times in the Liyue story.
Hu Tao - Barely even a story quest. Such a nothing character.
Rosaria - Did have a decent role in the Dragonspine region, and does pop up every so often.
Yanfei - Her own story quest and kind of introduced the housing system by happenstance.
Eula - Story quest. But very new, so who knows.

The women in this game get fucked over hard. It's actually pretty embarrassing. I'll trade away half of the female roster for a couple that actually matter.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that there still isn't one male catalyst user... I keep hoping Baizhu will be but who knows.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I love my Jean but sometimes it hurts knowing I got her due to losing the Albedo 50/50.

If anything that just shows that the women should be more prominent, not that they need more male characters.

They'd still need more male characters for variety imo. That said, it's about time we got our first female archon.I'd also say Jean and Signoria have also had pretty big roles. But yeah most of the women could benefit from better roles, writing, and pants. They also tend to have the worst character quests. : ex. Ganyu, Hu Tao.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I GOT MAX STARS IN ABYSS 12 AGAIN!

Jean and Venti together hard carried in the second half of 12-3, Zhong in 12-2 second half, and Ganyu in 12-3 first half.

Take that Lectors.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I liked hide and seek more than this new event.

Let me use my characters. If you want them to be normalized power-wise, fine. But I don't want to play Keqing. I don't use Sucrose. The only people I use in this batch are Albedo and Diona.
I have none of these 5* so it was fun being able to try them out and mess around. Tbh the trials always kinda suck when it comes to selling a character to me, something like this should instead be the way they handle that.

Starting to lose interest again though.
Since I didn't get Eula and neither Klee nor Kazuha Kiryu (not to be confused with Kazuma Kiryu) interest me, we're talking about at least 9 weeks of not pulling and getting a single character. No chance to get anything from standard banner as well, since I just recently got a weapon from that one and 9 weeks is like 1 4* pity worth of standard fates since I already exhausted the ones from ascensions.

Raising chars is now the only thing left to do but I have Ganyu and Zhongli who basically trivialize the entire game, the last event wasn't combat focused and now we even have a combat event that doesn't even use my own characters, so I wonder what's even the point in raising them. I guess 1.6 has something to explore again, right? Right?

Since this event has premade chars I was thinking this was an experiment in bypassing the massive power-gap between players, them trying to make a "moderately challenging" event that gives everyone (mostly, constellations do carry over) the same conditions. But like, it's stupidly easy again, lol. I literally haven't even read Keqing or Mona's skill descriptions and it's still so easy that it gets cleared first try with almost all extra challenges done.

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something with equipping gadgets? The quick select shows all 4 face buttons but they always equip to the circle button.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Using premade characters actually showed me a little something about the ones that I don't have or don't use that often. For instance, I always thought that the worst outcome of losing a 50/50 would be Mona but actually she is fun to use and I like her kit more than I though I would: electro Keqing is cool, more than phys, so I might do the change eventually. I hope we get to use some other chars in the next batch that are limited like Albedo in this one, wouldn't mind to use Xiao once again.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Am I missing something with equipping gadgets? The quick select shows all 4 face buttons but they always equip to the circle button.
Right, you can only have one equipped at a time. Circle is reserved for gadgets, triangle for quests where you have a guest character you can swap to, X is... used for something too but I can't remember what.

Status
Not open for further replies.