• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
The game was surprisingly solid when I played it in April at PAX. I expected it to be shallow and riding its art style for downloads, but it played nicely and seemed pretty filled with content and interesting things.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
One big recent change, and my biggest annoyance before it was changed, is that character switching is now instantly done with the directional pads instead of opening a shortcut menu first and then pressing one of the PS buttons to select a character. The characters even switched places on the buttons for some reason. Now they stay assigned to one directional pad.
They took my feedback on how to do it literally then. I listed that as one of the ways to fix that in a very, VERY detailed message on their in game suggestion portal.

Obviously I wasnt the onlyone to submit that as feedback, but it is nice to know they stopped switching places. :3 !!!!!!!

EDIT: Was inverted aim a recent change too as well?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
China absolutely demolished their preregistration rewards. 4 hours to get 3 million.

Global is sitting at around 400k, which is still very good.

Still, this lets you know the power of mobile + PC + China. 3 million in 4 hours.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I read that this is mostly a single player game with multiplayer elements. How's the coop? is the game meant to be played with people all things considered?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I read that this is mostly a single player game with multiplayer elements. How's the coop? is the game meant to be played with people all things considered?
The main game is almost completely solo. There is co-op, but it's dungeon/fuck around focused. You have to play the story missions solo, and you can't pick up important items (nor interact with chests) in co-op. It's mostly for fucking around in the open world but also things like instanced co-op content. You also must have unique characters for dungeons.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The main game is almost completely solo. There is co-op, but it's dungeon/fuck around focused. You have to play the story missions solo, and you can't pick up important items (nor interact with chests) in co-op. It's mostly for fucking around in the open world but also things like instanced co-op content. You also must have unique characters for dungeons.

so... this is not a multiplayer game essentialy. Is the endgame solo or multiplayer?

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
The control change is definitely welcomed. I had to basically just memorize how each button would rotate the character list before I was able to do combos consistently

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
China absolutely demolished their preregistration rewards. 4 hours to get 3 million.

Global is sitting at around 400k, which is still very good.

Still, this lets you know the power of mobile + PC + China. 3 million in 4 hours.

Wait, they have China and the rest of the world separated for these pre-registration rewards? That's kinda unfair and is bound to annoy people in other regions if they get worse pre-registration advantages. That on the topic we talked about yesterday.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they have China and the rest of the world separated for these pre-registration rewards? That's kinda unfair and is bound to annoy people in other regions if they get worse pre-registration advantages. That on the topic we talked about yesterday.
Yeah, this is how it goes with regions. Honestly, I'm confident global will hit 3 million. If not, they'll just fudge the numbers a couple days before launch. They always do.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'll take a pre-reg disadvantage in exchange for the 2 week early PC soft-launch China's getting. Brutal.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is how it goes with regions. Honestly, I'm confident global will hit 3 million. If not, they'll just fudge the numbers a couple days before launch. They always do.

Where did you find those Chinese numbers by the way? I'm not finding them and the only link I found on GI's Chinese Twitter leads me to a Chinese Pre-registration page but with the same pre-registration numbers (384k) as the international one.

On a different note, I found these beautiful Xiangling cosplay pics on the Chinese forum:

3be906bf7c70f71e5de6c44df315b515_3015103988862008768.jpg

543088d66a5c43582b6bc9ffb815f0d8_4420608436675362604.jpg

d2305784483eefe367c2555d2856c01d_6274139688007474378.jpg

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Pre registered. I only made it into the first beta but it was enjoyable then, looking forward to the improvements they have made. Excited for the upcoming release!

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
vP9NnnL.png

They're not quite there yet, but they're gonna blow right past it.

Good Lord, almost 3 million in one day! O:

I'll take a pre-reg disadvantage in exchange for the 2 week early PC soft-launch China's getting. Brutal.

I'll take no pre-reg advantages at all for an overhauled/toned down gacha system in the West/on PS4. :)

Pre registered. I only made it into the first beta but it was enjoyable then, looking forward to the improvements they have made. Excited for the upcoming release!

I was already following the game back then and watched many hours of other playing the first beta. The game got a big overhaul since then. Some stuff you won't recognize anymore and there is so much new stuff.

Last edited:

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take confirmed PS4 cross-save at this point over anything.

If Sony is going to block cross-save, that system is deader than dead.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Can I get a link, video, explanation to a more in-detailed review of the gacha system and how it will affect your Single player experience? I heard the rates are disastrously low for new characters and decent weapons. Saw some beta videos of people who pulled nothing but crap the entire time.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Can you use your global Mihoyo account from Honkai? The Genshin login says I am not registered. Then again, Honkai defaults me to SEA instead of Global when I visit the Honkai page, so I have to make a manual switch, so it is possible that I am at the wrong Genshin page.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can I get a link, video, explanation to a more in-detailed review of the gacha system and how it will affect your Single player experience? I heard the rates are disastrously low for new characters and decent weapons. Saw some beta videos of people who pulled nothing but crap the entire time.

Did you check out the FAQ in the OP?

While character rates are pretty bad, I would not say that rates for decent weapons are bad. You get showerd in 3 star and 4 star weapons relatively soon. And even weaker weapons are useful to power up your better ones.

Last edited:

Samalis

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me the energy system? I heard an activity takes 20-60 of it and you only have 120ish and takes 14 hours to replenish. And it doesn't increase as you rank up like other gachas?

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me the energy system? I heard an activity takes 20-60 of it and you only have 120ish and takes 14 hours to replenish. And it doesn't increase as you rank up like other gachas?

You can play and experience the vast majority of the game without having to worry about energy/stamina or resin as it is called in GI. I was completely oblivious of it and only learned about it after I played the game for over 60 hours.
The resin is for certain extra bosses and dungeons. You can play them as much as you want, but you need resin in order to claim your rewards. The resin is there to keep people from grinding experience and materials like crazy in just a day.
If you play the game normally, like you would play a regular JRPG/RPG, you don't really need to worry about running out of it.
Yes, in recent betas it stayed constantly at 120 and didn't grew as you ranked up.
You can by the way also replenish your resin with primogems. Instead of using them to buy fates to gacha for characters you can also use them to buy more resin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's a new, unlisted trailer on Youtube as well as some new screens/graphics:

oay321kd3n2zz3bzg.jpg

myhvvxiqgghczrmzg.jpg

tkh8b560fsq7q2jzg.jpg

xc2kmm8qj80g0nszg.jpg

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gimme Jean, in my veins pls

Don't go for Jean unless you have hundreds of dollars ready to throw at the screen just for the shot of getting Jean. Rolling for Jean is pain.

From my experience playing beta, definitely save any money you're willing to spend for the bonus +pull chance banners or the temporary banners. The default odds of getting Jean is going to be pain.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Multipull prices are out then, it seems.

Lol. The $99 pack is one of the worst values.

$99 pack is $24.69 a multi. $29 pack is $24.23 a multi.

Hymn + Chorus might be monthly packs or a monthly + battle pass.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone made a good, "What is Genshin Impact?" video? The OP is great, and the information is all great, but it's spread over 70 pages at this point, and I'd like to get my friends excited.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

These are base values but I wonder if there will be "+xxxx bonus gems" for higher priced purchases so they can stick a "Best Value!"label on the $99 buy.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So is it just gonna be 2 regions when the game comes out and they add more later?

Yep, Mondtstadt and Liyue. Both are really big and very varied though. You'll be exploring them, if you want to see every nook and cranny, for over a hundred hours.

fzl8ijtyrdbm29ozg.jpg

8w3krdkg6fphayuzg.jpg

(Yay, a reason to post my graphics again, lol.)

Afterwards, I expect every 6 months, they will add a new region. It will be 7 regions in total.

495k preregistrations.

Almost 530k now. :)
How do we know this is a real-time pre-registration counter, lol? This could be just a number going slowly but steadily upwards, incentivizing us to pre-register too. The rewards for the 3 million goal are already a foregone conclusion.

So, how are these prices? As a gacha n00b I can't really tell.
Will they be milking us dry or is this a fair and sensible system?

Has anyone made a good, "What is Genshin Impact?" video? The OP is great, and the information is all great, but it's spread over 70 pages at this point, and I'd like to get my friends excited.

I honestly don't know any. :/
Do you know what I think is missing to show my friends to get them excited? A trailer that shows more than cute waifus running, climbing and gliding in an open world. They need to produce an epic trailer that has it all. Cute waifus and husbandos, world exploration, combat and story. Mihoyo have to produce the equivalence of this:

I hope they nail their launch trailer. I know they can do it.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So, how are these prices? As a gacha n00b I can't really tell.
Will they be milking us dry or is this a fair and sensible system?
If a multipull is 10 the prices themselves aren't terribly bad, but the weighting of the results may be a concern, especially with the characters being mixed into the pool with weapons. That's the only element of FateGO I wish they could change, but they also have a much larger pool of units versus Genshin having a mere handful by comparison.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
If there aren't any bonus gems, and these are the straight up prices, it's ~$436 to pity a banner character.

That's very high. Most games hover around $250-$300.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If a multipull is 10 the prices themselves aren't terribly bad, but the weighting of the results may be a concern, especially with the characters being mixed into the pool with weapons. That's the only element of FateGO I wish they could change, but they also have a much larger pool of units versus Genshin having a mere handful by comparison.

Okay, I see.

If there aren't any bonus gems, and these are the straight up prices, it's ~$218 to pity a banner character.

That's on the low end. Most games that have pity seem to hover around the $250-300 range.

How did you calculate the $218 for a pity character? Is that a 4 star or 5 star character and is that a character you want or a random character.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
90 rolls for pity. Buying the best value of the packs, it comes out to $218. That's for the five star banner character.

They sure know how to make money. :/
I hope there will never be a 5 star I want really bad, lol. Zhongli might be that character though. He's a 5 star for sure though, considering I'm 99% sure he is the geo god in human disguise.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. I am mistaken. The real banner pity is twice that. $436. $218 is just for a 5* pity. Whoopsie.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
They sure know how to make money. :/
I hope there will never be a 5 star I want really bad, lol. Zhongli might be that character though. He's a 5 star for sure though, considering I'm 99% sure he is the geo god in human disguise.
There are other gacha that are definitely worse. some games have a kind of rotation they pull, too, where some banners have a guaranteed unit from the banner after doing a certain set on that banner in particular, but there will be multiple characters on said banner and you don't get one in particular, it's one of the two (or even three or four!) and no guarantee of which.

Example for Final Fantasy Brave Exvius:
A single pull is 500 lapis (premium currency) for a 3* or rarer unit and a standard 10 pull is 5000 lapis that also gets you a "free" guaranteed 4* or better unit.
There are banners with multiple 5* characters (and very soon, as in Thursday in Global FFBE) there will have 2 banner types:
1 banner that is 5 steps of a 5000 lapis pull each with slightly boosted rates each step until the 5th step, 25000 lapis later, that gives you voucher for a unit. you can do this full run once.
1 banner has an increasing set of 3 steps that is 3000, then 4000, then 5000 lapis, with boosted rates and no guaranteed unit, but you usually eventually get enough extra bonuses from said banner to outright summon the unit or a set of tickets to maybe get one of them. This can be run several times, each "lap" resetting to the 3000 step, but you get bonuses as you go such as higher summon rates, coins for exchange for a unit or their ascension materials, etc.

Thing is, for all of this FFBE seeming greedy, it's still not one of the worst ones, it just has some awful rates for new characters as they're still part of a pool of their rarity. But beyond the lapis there are other summoning sources like tickets to get characters. But even a 5% 5* pull rate seems nice until you realize that it's a 5% chance for that 5* crystal, but it could be one of 75-100 different units with it only slightly adjusted for the unit being new. So it works out to be more like a 1% or maybe 2% chance, if that.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. I am mistaken. The real banner pity is twice that. $436.

d876a813263da6e95a183a2873a7ac8d.jpg

Anyway, lol, if there is still a pass like they had in the Chinese monetized beta, and I assume it is the "Blessings Bundle" for $4.99, then that is the best value for your money. It gave you 3000 primogems over the duration of an entire month. That's 19 pulls for 5 bucks, you do have to save them up for an entire month though.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
d876a813263da6e95a183a2873a7ac8d.jpg

Anyway, lol, if there is still a pass like they had in the Chinese monetized beta, and I assume it is the "Blessings Bundle" for $4.99, then that is the best value for your money. It gave you 3000 primogems over the duration of an entire month. That's 19 pulls for 5 bucks, you do have to save them up for an entire month though.
Oh yeah, this is assuming there aren't things like summer/halloween/anniversary/christmas/milestone bundles. This is just straight up buying from the cash shop. And also, like was posted earlier, the app store isn't required to show bonus gems, so you may get more.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There are other gacha that are definitely worse. some games have a kind of rotation they pull, too, where some banners have a guaranteed unit from the banner after doing a certain set on that banner in particular, but there will be multiple characters on said banner and you don't get one in particular, it's one of the two (or even three or four!) and no guarantee of which.

Example for Final Fantasy Brave Exvius:
A single pull is 500 lapis (premium currency) for a 3* or rarer unit and a standard 10 pull is 5000 lapis that also gets you a "free" guaranteed 4* or better unit.
There are banners with multiple 5* characters (and very soon, as in Thursday in Global FFBE) there will have 2 banner types:
1 banner that is 5 steps of a 5000 lapis pull each with slightly boosted rates each step until the 5th step, 25000 lapis later, that gives you voucher for a unit. you can do this full run once.
1 banner has an increasing set of 3 steps that is 3000, then 4000, then 5000 lapis, with boosted rates and no guaranteed unit, but you usually eventually get enough extra bonuses from said banner to outright summon the unit or a set of tickets to maybe get one of them. This can be run several times, each "lap" resetting to the 3000 step, but you get bonuses as you go such as higher summon rates, coins for exchange for a unit or their ascension materials, etc.

Thing is, for all of this FFBE seeming greedy, it's still not one of the worst ones, it just has some awful rates for new characters as they're still part of a pool of their rarity. But beyond the lapis there are other summoning sources like tickets to get characters. But even a 5% 5* pull rate seems nice until you realize that it's a 5% chance for that 5* crystal, but it could be one of 75-100 different units with it only slightly adjusted for the unit being new. So it works out to be more like a 1% or maybe 2% chance, if that.

Thank you for that rundown.
Why do people do gacha games to themselves?
I can obviously see the attraction a game like Genshin Impact has. It offers a vast, beautiful and detailed open world to get lost in and the charmingly realized characters are the cherry on top of the cake. I however don't get why people would spend so much time, so much effort and so much money on all these other gacha games and their characters. Some are literally just 2D images with different stats. I'd feel so bad being ripped off for that.

On another topic, there will be a live stream on the official Korean Genshin Impact Youtube starting in a little more than an hour (12:00pm Korean time):

New infos and surprises are expected, other than that we have no clue what it could be. I hope staying up will be worth it. Probably not, lol.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
People play gacha for the community. Talking to your friends about your favorite characters, coming up with strategies for newly released content, complaining about how gacha sucks. It's easily digestable games as a service. You pop it on, grind for a couple minutes, and turn it off. Then you hop on Discord and talk about how the new character is super overpowered or totally sucks. Then someone says the opposite and you theorycraft. Then your stamina is full so you grind a bit more. Then you hop on Discord again and talk about how you think X character should use Y weapon or how X character and Y character are really strong on the same team.

And so on. If it was a purely solo en-devour, gacha would be even more trash than it is.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Some people just get sucked in. Some people stay free and rely on the earned currency and luck. I pay small amounts for specific things in games I've gotten plenty out of as a sort thanks for the good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.