• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
This is the future you chose.
Screen_Shot_2018_04_18_at_12.50.12_PM.0.png
A future worth dying for.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
User Warned: Off-Topic, Drive-by Posting
Free Hong Kong.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Enjoyed the ~2 hours I've played but need to get back to it eventually. Really what excites me most about the game is the potential of just more high quality F2P games that I could get into.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It should be emphasized that Gacha mechanics/lootboxes are not binary, and each game should be looked at on a case-by-case basis. There's fair Gacha where the gains from Gacha pulls are nice-but-not-gamebreaking plus the game gives you free currency, and there's greedy Gacha where the game design clearly steers you toward buying Gacha with massive banners in the UI/UX. Notably, Gacha games have steered away from greedy Gacha because it's too blatant.

In its current state, Genshin Impact is one of the most fair Gacha games I've played. It's very easy to forget that there's a Gacha at all at a certain point, none of the 5-star units are overpowered, and most of the story units are sufficiently powered (sorry Amber).

The 5-star rates could be a little better though.
All gacha are inherently exploitative with random mechanics to entice people with low self-restraint (whales) to spend way more than they should for the chance to attain a waifu or husbando that catches their fancy. The extent to which the game is in-your-face about it doesn't change that. It doesn't stop me from enjoying a gacha personally, as usual I try not to spend a dime due to fear of the slippery slope.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I still struggle to understand how so many are completely fine with throwing away money on something that is online only and can be taken away at a moments notice. I mean if you could play the game offline so you'd actually keep your purchases when they shut down the servers I could understand it, but that is not the case.
I mean I know the answer is "because people think it's worth it to them."
It just goes so against how i value spending money.
Spending money on non permanent things is not new.

ever gone to an amusement park , a sports game, a concert, went on a vacation?

these are all things you pay money for entertainment that will last way less time then the years people will get out Genshin impact

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
Are people cheering for gambling now? Didnt we had several legal cases in EU for lootboxes regulation? Dont see how any of this is different.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Getting a bit ahead of ourselves there aren't we?
I doubt the game will stop development in the next few months. Quality is another story of course.

My point stands that the poster I was responding to did not understand why people spend money on a temporary thing. Live service games are way less temporary than the many things most people spend money on.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm enjoying the game but imagine Square doing a big FF like this. It would make a tonne. Perhaps even more than this.

I hope gacha for big games doesn't become a norm.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why Genshin Impact is the main point of concern when the most predatory and genuinely crushing gambling system is the western-made FIFA series that is allowed to run unabashed and is directly aimed at children and teenagers every single year. You folks are acting like you're fighting against the new kraken. It's just some Zelda lite RPG with anime characters, FUT is the game that everyone uses as inspiration to wring out money from kids.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
Good for Mihoyo but the game has serious Issues right now.

A lot of people in both the east and west are unhappy with the state of the game and rightfully so.The stamina system severely Limits how much you can grind for materials each day and once it's deplete all you can really do is mess around in the world and kill the same monsters over and over again.

Then there's the godawful gacha rates in which you have minuscule 0.6% chance to draw a 5 star character, 5% to draw a 4 star character and a whopping 94% to draw 3 star wordless weapons. Not only that but doing a 10 roll doesn't even guaranteed a character!

If Mihoyo doesn't change things then I think the game is gonna lose players fast. Including the whales because even if they have a bunch of 5 stars, there's barely anything they can do with them.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

A lot of people in both the east and west are unhappy with the state of the game and rightfully so.The stamina system severely Limits how much you can grind for materials each day and once it's deplete all you can really do is mess around in the world and kill the same monsters over and over again.

Then there's the godawful gacha rates in which you have minuscule 0.6% chance to draw a 5 star character, 5% to draw a 4 star character and a whopping 94% to draw 3 star wordless weapons. Not only that but doing a 10 roll doesn't even guaranteed a character!

If Mihoyo doesn't change things then I think the game is gonna lose players fast. Including the whales because even if they have a bunch of 5 stars, there's barely anything they can do with them.

Stamina is the main thing, the gacha system is your whatever shit rates.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Chinese developers are going to continue to grow in popularity worldwide. Clearly there is a lot of talent there. I'll be sure to give this a shot when I have a bit more free time.

They've been doing quite well past few years but with next-gen on the horizon their progress will really speed up and from a gacha point of view, Azur Lane really opened up the floodgates. Honkai has been quite fun as well.

But unlike Genshin Impact, AC Odyssey's biggest issue to many players is too much content

Whilst I do like the game (playing it over the past few weeks), I've grown a bit tired on the quests and hopefully Genshin doesn't go down that path too much (but I suspect they may.)

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why Genshin Impact is the main point of concern when the most predatory and genuinely crushing gambling system is the western-made FIFA series that is allowed to run unabashed and is directly aimed at children and teenagers every single year. You folks are acting like you're fighting against the new kraken. It's just some Zelda lite RPG with anime characters, FUT is the game that everyone uses as inspiration to wring out money from kids.
Most people on this site don't care, or hell most game journalist doesn't care about Fifa or their ilk simply because of the people who buy those game. That audience will never, ever give a fuck about what people told them. That is not to say people don't bash those Fifa, Madden game, we have threads now and then and Jim sometimes put out videos about that too.

But it is what it is, predatory bullshit but the prey don't care, what can you do.
This game target audience is much more ERA range, so that's why people pay more attention.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

I think Mihoyo has enough experience to know how to adjust things to keep players, though I only see an issue with the Resin. The gacha will stay that way and will keep print them money.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

www.resetera.com

‘Lawsuit filed in France against EA arguing that FIFA Ultimate Team should be classified as a form of gambling’ [getfootballnewsfrance.com]

Source: https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/lawsuit-filed-in-france-against-ea-arguing-that-fifa-ultimate-team-should-be-classified-as-a-form-of-gambling/ Original source (French)...

www.resetera.com

So apparently EA are refusing to stop selling lootboxes in Belgium, criminal investigation underway

https://nl.metrotime.be/2018/09/10/news/brussels-parket-voert-onderzoek-naar-ea-voor-loot-boxes-in-spel-fifa-18/ Google translation below: It was at the end of the last Jim Sterling video

www.resetera.com

EA faces a class action lawsuit over Ultimate Team ‘loot boxes’. Lawsuit claims FIFA series is in violation of California law News

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ea-faces-a-class-action-lawsuit-over-ultimate-team-loot-boxes/ This class action lawsuit is related to the Apple class action lawsuit that's ongoing...

just some threads, obviously there's more.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
You know they could still be successful if they offered each character at a fixed price instead relying on probability. Don't defend predatory practices.

Where exactly am I defending predatory practices? And you know just as well as I do they wouldn't be nearly as sucessful with fixed rates.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to talk on this on the Crate & Crowbar podcast and downloading now. Whoever played in on that cast said they felt zero need to buy anything and they didn't even know how to spend money if they wanted to. Doesn't seem like its very in your face wanting you to spend.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
bUt BoTWs aEsThEtiC tUrNeD PeOpLe AwAy

Insane success story, and pretty solid game. Could use some tweaks here and there, but overall very impressive. The devs will rectify the content issue no doubt and keep this cash cow for as long as people will pay (which clearly they are in droves).

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
You know they could still be successful if they offered each character at a fixed price instead relying on probability. Don't defend predatory practices.

If they offered fixed price for a character, that means richer players would gain huge advantage. Literally pay to win. Sounds much worse to me. F2P and lesser dolphin would just steer clear coz they got no chance.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If they offered fixed price for a character, that means richer players would gain huge advantage. Literally pay to win. Sounds much worse to me. F2P and lesser dolphin would just steer clear coz they got no chance.
Fixed price would allow players like me to pick and choose. Instead of the gamble it'd be so much better. Treat it like a fighting game roster.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've enjoyed what I've played of the game so far. In spite of the wonky controller support on PC (A/B being reversed for confirm/back prompts keeps messing me up), it's been a fun world to explore with some of the prettiest graphics I've seen in a long time.

I personally haven't felt that compelled to spend real money on it. There's one 5 star character that I kind of want (because I think they have a cool outfit lol), but after seeing how comically low the drop rate is for getting a specific 5 star character, I kind of lost interest. I'll probably save up my free Primogens (currency used to pull character) for when/if that character shows up in a limited banner (which boosts their drop rate a bit).

Otherwise in the early stages of the game Im in so far, the free characters I've gotten have been enjoyable enough for me. I'm not sure how necessary it becomes to spend real money to progress through the main story, but I'm enjoying this as a free game so far.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Dude, the rich playes can just roll until they get what they want. It's no different

But fixed price shop means F2P player cannot just EX luck their way with probability-based gacha. My point is the game would have lower playerbase as a result. So it's not guaranteed to be successful with that kind of monitezation. Community is important in this kind of game with husbando/waifu. Without big playerbase, the community won't thrive.

I mean, ideally it's $60 and get all content for this kind of genre and everybody would be happy but that's not the case.

Oct 26, 2017
But fixed price shop means F2P player cannot just EX luck their way with probability-based gacha. My point is the game would have lower playerbase as a result. So it's not guaranteed to be successful with that kind of monitezation. Community is important in this kind of game with husbando/waifu. Without big playerbase, the community won't thrive.

I mean, ideally it's $60 and get all content for this kind of genre and everybody would be happy but that's not the case.

Nothing personal man but this sounds argument sounds like it came directly out of Mihoyo's PR department. What's you're describing and advocating is literally the hook behind predatory gacha mechanics.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
This is not a competitive game. And richer player still have huge advantages regardless, we call them whales here. Still people will know what they are paying for instead of loosing money based on their luck.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
ikr?

it's so weird, people constantly hate on lootboxes, but then there's videos from this game of people spending 4000$ trying to get a character and all it's fun and well.

Gacha model is nefarious as fuck, there should be a limit on how it works, NO ONE, even if he wants to, should be able to spend this much money tring to get a character.

Mind you, this is not an attack on Genshin Impact, is an attack on gachas, which weirdly kept being ignored even though it's the most predatory form of MTX in the gaming industry.
I mean gacha are free. I play FGO for free on my PC and I only spend money for GSSR, so like twice a year, and not even much (about 15€ now).

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what? with fixed prices (for example 20 bucks per character) people would know what they need to pay. It would be way better. whales will pay a lot of money anyway.
also, how can a PvE and mostly SP game be P2W?

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats.

Too bad they massively rushed the release and we have neither events nor new content till Christmas.

Most day one players reach the point of finishing absolute everything the game has to offer, up to the very last secret and gameplay feature, this weekend and will leave the sinking ship like people the Titanic.

I hope this won't be too bad for the future.

Like the community is seriously unhappy with a lot of things.

r/Genshin_Impact - Everything wrong with Genshin Impact, Community and Mihoyo

16,009 votes and 3,110 comments so far on Reddit
Every community is unhappy on reddit.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Nothing personal man but this sounds argument sounds like it came directly out of Mihoyo's PR department. What's you're describing and advocating is literally the hook behind predatory gacha mechanics.

None taken. For me, it's $60 one and done for full package game or F2P gacha game with good rate and generous in-game currency (like AL, it exist). I just don't like fixed priced shop, basically just MTXfest.

Obviously Genshin is not ideal for me, coz shit rate.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
This is not a competitive game. And richer player still have huge advantages regardless, we call them whales here. Still people will know what they are paying for instead of loosing money based on their luck.

I know what you're saying. I just responding to the suggestion that changing the monitezation to MTX will still make the game successful regardless, which I kinda disagree.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
looks at specific posts in this thread re: why gacha is totally different from other predatory practices people have been criticized

man just say you get that it's a predatory business model but you still like the game in spite of it, everybody has a vice they like using even if they know it's really bad for other people.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
I know what you're saying. I just responding to the suggestion that changing the monitezation to MTX will still make the game successful regardless, which I kinda disagree.
They may not be as successful as they have been. but the other model is tested with great success and consumer feedback in games like Smash. It offers you the gacha aspect if you buy the pass without knowing the characters or buy them to your liking after they are revealed.

Tofd

Jul 8, 2018
I don't get how anyone can say the gacha elements are fine (even generous? c'mon) with this game when the majority of players (~58-61% depending on whether pity timer is 80 or 90) are only going to get a 5* through the pity timer and the story missions are piss-easy on purpose.

Oct 28, 2017
I could probably be hooked by one of these games if it had an aesthetic / world that I found appealing. The art style and characters put me off playing more, but the combat seemed like it had some depth to it so kind of bummed the rest doesn't do it for me.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
also, how can a PvE and mostly SP game be P2W?

"Oh no, I get stuck on this particular boss on end-game content. Guess I'll need to buy that new Pyro user from the shop and if not enough I'll buy new healer as well to improve my team survivability. I have these free characters from the game, but nah. I have $40 to spare anyway."

Something like that, maybe.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a surprisingly fun game combat and exploration wise despite all the gacha and stamina system horseshit in. It's more than I can say for every other gacha game I've played. Wonder if we're going to see more big "console" like games going for the F2P gacha model instead of being a $60-70 game with a battle pass.