• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh. My. God.

I'd thought for sure that Phil Collins had retired for good. I'll make a point to catch the show if at all possible.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
weird. i had a premonition that this was about to take place. However it said Peter would be involved.

Oct 25, 2017
weird. i had a premonition that this was about to take place. However it said Peter would be involved.

Honestly I think the last chance for a full 70's era Genesis reunion has long since passed, if only because Phil is physically unable to play the drums anymore. He can only sing.

So if the band were to do a 70's lineup reunion, the problem would be that certain portions of the group would have nothing to do for long periods at a time. I can't imagine Peter or Steve would be doing much work during any of the trio era songs and Phil would only be able to provide backing vocals at most for any of the Peter-era songs.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
aabe3ebae32894a17bdd69dd34adc21a.gif

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Well that's nice news, I guess it means that Phil is a bit better ? Sometimes it felt pretty miserable having to sit on a chair on his last tour. Good that they chose Phil's son on the drums, too bad for Chester. Oh and what about Ray ?

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's nice news, I guess it means that Phil is a bit better ? Sometimes it felt pretty miserable having to sit on a chair on his last tour. Good that they chose Phil's son on the drums, too bad for Chester. Oh and what about Ray ?

Yeah, I'm very curious to see what the full band lineup for this tour will be. I'm not expecting it since they've already announced Phil's son as the primary drummer for this tour, but it'd be nice if they brought on Chester for a song or two and maybe recreate the old "dueling drum solo" stuff that he used to do with Phil back in the day.

Then what's the point. Genesis post-Hackett is just corny, embarrassing AOR shit

Aside from the trio era having their most popular songs for the masses, I'd advise that you refer back to my previous post:
Honestly I think the last chance for a full 70's era Genesis reunion has long since passed, if only because Phil is physically unable to play the drums anymore. He can only sing.

So if the band were to do a 70's lineup reunion, the problem would be that certain portions of the group would have nothing to do for long periods at a time. I can't imagine Peter or Steve would be doing much work during any of the trio era songs and Phil would only be able to provide backing vocals at most for any of the Peter-era songs.

TL;DR: the chances of a proper 70's era reunion have been botched for ages, because Phil can't play the drums anymore.

As an aside, while I absolutely prefer the prog era over the pop era... Duke is a masterpiece and deserves respect. Love what Hackett and Gabriel brought to the table, but the trio lineup absolutely brought the goods without them at least once.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hecht saw Genesis at the palladium in 87, said it was the best show of his life

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
As a kid, my dad introduced my brother and me to the band as Collin's took over. My dad always preferred pre-Collin's Genesis and how wild they were. I have to say I agree with him now as I get older.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Hackett's absence is a surprise since I would have presumed him to be the surest bet for the reunion. He released his own album of rearranged Genesis material a few years ago. He's also my favorite element of the group by far once it became apparent to me what his songwriting quirks infused into the band, and how him leaving had a much more profound impact on the output than Gabriel.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

OP
OP
Atom Heart Mother
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Then what's the point. Genesis post-Hackett is just corny, embarrassing AOR shit
I mean, Banks and Rutherford are still great players. Their live shows from 2007 where they do a fusion of Firth of Fifth and I Know What I Like (with a dash of Stagnation) is still awesome.. just wish Hackett and the rest would patch things up. It's obvious there's some drama between them. Really sucks.

Go see Steve Hackett if you want Classic Genesis, go to the re-union if you want 80s. Duke is still a great album, though.

As a kid, my dad introduced my brother and me to the band as Collin's took over. My dad always preferred pre-Collin's Genesis and how wild they were. I have to say I agree with him now as I get older.
Depends on what you mean by pre-Collins. The first two Collins albums (Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering) are amazing.. I loved that period of Genesis so much.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Banks and Rutherford are still great players. Their live shows from 2007 where they do a fusion of Firth of Fifth and I Know What I Like (with a dash of Stagnation) is still awesome.. just wish Hackett and the rest would patch things up. It's obvious there's some drama between them. Really sucks.

Go see Steve Hackett if you want Classic Genesis, go to the re-union if you want 80s. Duke is still a great album, though.

Depends on what you mean by pre-Collins. The first two Collins albums (Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering) are amazing.. I loved that period of Genesis so much.
That's true. I guess I mean pre Invisible Touch.

OP
OP
Atom Heart Mother
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
That's true. I guess I mean pre Invisible Touch.
I'd say post-Duke is when Genesis started being 'bleh' to me. Duke was a great progressive 80s album. And features some of the best Collins drumming. The Wind & Wuthering line up was best of both worlds. Genesis still had its English whimsically mood and Hackett's guitar playing really amplified every song. Listen to 'Blood on the Rooftops'. One of Genesis' best songs written by Phil Collins and Steve Hackett.

Also, go see The Musical Box, everyone. Amazing cover band that's the only official licensed cover band by Genesis. All members of Genesis have seen them and even Collins & Hackett has played with them on stage (on separate occasions).

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say post-Duke is when Genesis started being 'bleh' to me. Duke was a great progressive 80s album. And features some of the best Collins drumming. The Wind & Wuthering line up was best of both worlds. Genesis still had its English whimsically mood and Hackett's guitar playing really amplified every song. Listen to 'Blood on the Rooftops'. One of Genesis' best songs written by Phil Collins and Steve Hackett.

Also, go see The Musical Box, everyone. Amazing cover band that's the only official licensed cover band by Genesis. All members of Genesis have seen them and even Collins & Hackett has played with them on stage (on separate occasions).
My dad has always searched out Genesis-like bands and bought up everything by a band named Marillion. In case you haven't heard of them.

BTails

Oct 26, 2017
I'm already planning my trip to the UK to see them. I'm not missing out this time, having missed them in 2007 (was barely 20 years old and couldn't afford the flight to see a show).

For those of you wanting Gabriel era Genesis, PLEASE GO SEE STEVE HACKETT. I just saw him in concert LAST WEEK, and it was amazing. First half of the show was solo stuff, then he played the entirety of Selling England by the Pound, followed by The Musical Box (my all time favourite Genesis track) and Watcher of the Skies as the encore. Amazing concert, Steve was phenomenal, and the band is pretty great.

OP
OP
Atom Heart Mother
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I'm already planning my trip to the UK to see them. I'm not missing out this time, having missed them in 2007 (was barely 20 years old and couldn't afford the flight to see a show).

For those of you wanting Gabriel era Genesis, PLEASE GO SEE STEVE HACKETT. I just saw him in concert LAST WEEK, and it was amazing. First half of the show was solo stuff, then he played the entirety of Selling England by the Pound, followed by The Musical Box (my all time favourite Genesis track) and Watcher of the Skies as the encore. Amazing concert, Steve was phenomenal, and the band is pretty great.
Saw Steve Hackett in 2018 and the Musical Box in a 2 week span. So awesome.

SaulForex

Oct 25, 2017
If you are looking for a Gabriel era Genesis experience, and you have not yet seen The Musical Box, please do yourself a favor and see them live!

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

tumblr_inline_mmpfgipRcA1qz4rgp.gif

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The Gabriel era is great, but there's a lot of fans who feel Genesis in the early 80's was prime. There's an obvious evolution of the group so it's a matter of personal preference.

I fully agree that Duke was brilliant, and I played the hell out of all the 80s Genesis albums. A separate pre-80s prog tour with Gabriel would be awesome. Selling England and Lamb were great albums. Love that early Genesis too, but somehow I think it would be awkward to try and mix the two eras of Genesis on one tour.

This will be a popular tour. They can recreate the music fine, but Phil's voice is key. There's a ton of great material they can use.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Heh heh heh.

OP
OP
Atom Heart Mother
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
The Gabriel era is great, but there's a lot of fans who feel Genesis in the early 80's was prime. There's an obvious evolution of the group so it's a matter of personal preference.

I fully agree that Duke was brilliant, and I played the hell out of all the 80s Genesis albums. A separate pre-80s prog tour with Gabriel would be awesome. Selling England and Lamb were great albums. Love that early Genesis too, but somehow I think it would be awkward to try and mix the two eras of Genesis on one tour.

This will be a popular tour. They can recreate the music fine, but Phil's voice is key. There's a ton of great material they can use.
I just hope they visit alot of pre-80s but post-Gabirel material. Wind & Wuthering, Trick of the Tail, etc.. I really want them to honor their older music. I just really wanted Hackett back, fuck.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If there was ever a time for a "Land of Confusion" resurgence, it's now.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
TheShorts1992.jpg

One of the first cassette tapes I owned as a child.

Loved every song.
I don't care what anyone says, "That's All" still slaps.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Just going to add that Steve Hackett is 100% worth going to see. When I saw him a couple of years ago in the second half of the night the vocalist for the old Genesis stuff had the right voice to do the Peter Gabriel parts justice. It was a smaller venue too, which I always love.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I saw them on their last US stadium tour. And while they sounded okay, they all seemed bored and the whole thing was so lackluster. Maybe it was just a bad show, but it was mostly depressing. The one exception was "Turn it on Again," which sounded great and looked like something they enjoyed performing.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017

How long how you been waiting for this confluence of cosmic events?

BTails

Oct 26, 2017
Got my ticket for the O2 show in London on Nov 30. Had to wake up at 2am for the presale, couldn't get back to sleep for an hour afterwards, but it was worth it. If anyone is traveling to London for the show and fancies a meet up the night before for a few pints, let me know! I'll be flying in from Canada: second time in London but first time traveling there by myself.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Hackett's absence is a surprise since I would have presumed him to be the surest bet for the reunion. He released his own album of rearranged Genesis material a few years ago. He's also my favorite element of the group by far once it became apparent to me what his songwriting quirks infused into the band, and how him leaving had a much more profound impact on the output than Gabriel.

Absolutely - Genesis' two albums between Gabriel's departure and Hackett leaving are really interesting, and make me wonder what the band's direction of travel would have been if he didn't leave.

BTails

Oct 26, 2017
Ultimate necro bump: North American dates for this fall have just been announced! I still have a ticket to see them in London in October, but I'm thinking it'll be a lot easier as a Canadian to get to Toronto to see them in November. Definitely buying tickets next week.

EDIT: My phone just reminded me that I was seeing them tonight... The first rescheduled date for my original ticket, lol. Don't we all love this pandemic?