• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Thought some of you may find this interesting. I think it looks super cool.

Genesis Alpha One mixes thrilling roguelike mechanics with a deep ship builder and fast first-person action, putting you in the role of an interstellar pioneer.

In a near future ravaged by wars, corrupt regimes and devastating pollution, influential corporations have created the Genesis program in a last-ditch attempt to save humanity.
As the Captain of a Genesis starship, you journey into uncharted space on the ultimate mission. Build and manage a space vessel, farm resources, deal with terrifying alien infestations, clone creatures and explore a vast, randomly generated universe.

Your goal: Find new homes for humanity's DNA and save the species from extinction.

More info on the STEAM page, but its coming to consoles too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/712190/Genesis_Alpha_One/

Think I'll bite on this one. Thoughts?

DKShadow

Community Manager at Team17
Verified
May 2, 2018
Nottingham, UK
Sorry to resurrect an old thread (I was finally able to find a search bar), but I'm the Community Manager for Genesis: Alpha One and I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone might have :)

OP
OP
tarman76

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! Clearly I've been keeping get an eye on this.

Are y'all still on track for summer? Any E3 presence this year? I'm on Xbox and really looking forward to this.

Thanks for stopping by!

DKShadow

Verified
May 2, 2018
Nottingham, UK
We're currently looking at late summer, and will be announcing a firm date as soon as we're certain we'll hit it. As for E3, Genesis will indeed be playable at the event, but only behind closed doors for the press :)

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
We're currently looking at late summer, and will be announcing a firm date as soon as we're certain we'll hit it. As for E3, Genesis will indeed be playable at the event, but only behind closed doors for the press :)

Want to shoot me a message so we can set up an appointment? I'll be covering E3 with Wccftech.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017

Can you be attacked in your motherbase, or is it exclusive to the plannet where you go? The beginning of the trailer looks like your base, so I thought maybe you could have some kind of parasyte infecting a crew member and then a lot of monstrous aliens wrecking havoc in your base.

And this won't have any coop, right? The Steam page doesn't say so, at least. Looks good already, but some friends of mine love this kind of game and if it features coop I should be able to convince them to get it.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
It sounds like No Man's Sky and Star Citizen combined, with some of the looks of Alien:Isolation. Pretty damn ambitious for a 2-man team.

But the footage looks quite cool.

DKShadow

Verified
May 2, 2018
Nottingham, UK
Can you be attacked in your motherbase, or is it exclusive to the plannet where you go? The beginning of the trailer looks like your base, so I thought maybe you could have some kind of parasyte infecting a crew member and then a lot of monstrous aliens wrecking havoc in your base.
You might get attacked on multiple fronts. Essentially you're always trying to gather resources required to further your mission, and there are a few ways of doing that, that all come with their own threats and potential for alien attacks.

The Tractor Beam is probably the first one you'll build, and this allows you to beam aboard resources from various space debris you find throughout the randomly generated galaxy. As each resource is beamed aboard the ship, there's a chance aliens will tag along.

The Hangar is the main way of getting resources, and can be used in two different ways. Either you send out the Harvester with a few crew members and defend your ship as they return (aliens might tag along again), or you join your crew down to the planet itself, which removes the risk of aliens tagging along and getting on your ship, but adds the risk of being killed by them on the planet surface instead.

The various aliens all come in different types with various goals in mind; some will infest your ship, lay eggs everywhere and try to destroy your ship if they go unchecked. Others will attach themselves to the resources you collect, and spread throughout the ship that way. The majority of aliens (which again come in many different forms) will simply try to kill you and your crew, and as each crew member essentially counts as your lives in the game, once everyone is dead, the playthrough ends.

There's a lot more to it, but this should give a good overall idea :)

And this won't have any coop, right? The Steam page doesn't say so, at least. Looks good already, but some friends of mine love this kind of game and if it features coop I should be able to convince them to get it.
There is indeed no co-op planned at this time, but nothing's off the table for post launch updates - we'll see what players want and take it from there.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty interested in this. Got some questions.

1) what is the gameplay loop here in general. Farm planet for resource > use resources to build ship > ship to sustain crew > more crew to farm more planet and faster?

2) feel free to correct me if I were to say this game is like "Doom + No Man Sky"

3) got any actually in game gamplay footage?

4) How long has the game been in development and what are the shortvterm and mid term goals for the team in terms of content.

Thanks.

DKShadow

Verified
May 2, 2018
Nottingham, UK
It sounds like No Man's Sky and Star Citizen combined, with some of the looks of Alien:Isolation. Pretty damn ambitious for a 2-man team.

But the footage looks quite cool.
The key things that differentiate Genesis: Alpha One from those games are the roguelike elements, and the space station building. We've shown off parts of those things already, and have a lot more stuff coming in the coming weeks and months until our late summer launch!

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The key things that differentiate Genesis: Alpha One from those games are the roguelike elements, and the space station building. We've shown off parts of those things already, and have a lot more stuff coming in the coming weeks and months until our late summer launch!

I've seen some more footage now and I like the style of the game and the concept!

And such a close releasedate as well! I also would love to know how long this has been in development and what engine it is running on?

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I've had a major desire for FPS roguelikes, and I'm glad to finally see them be made.

This looks incredible. I can't wait to see more gameplay of this.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want something as damn near infinite as Isaac. I really hope this can scratch that itch. Really impressive for such a small team!

DKShadow

Verified
May 2, 2018
Nottingham, UK
1) what is the gameplay loop here in general. Farm planet for resource > use resources to build ship > ship to sustain crew > more crew to farm more planet and faster?
It's a roguelike with one "simple" mission; find a new home for mankind's DNA, which really involves finding a planet suitable for the crew you've cloned on your ship. Depending on your cloning choices, the ideal planet's requirements change, so that's something to keep in mind as you go.

As for the gameplay loop itself, you've basically got it down. To be able to "finish" a playthrough (which can be done when you meet the various requirements to "initiate a Genesis" on a planet) you'll have to get your crew to a suitable size. To be able to do that you gather resources through various means, expand the ship (build and customise it any way you want), create the required atmosphere for your crew and generally make sure the ship supports them - and is able to keep you alive in the randomly generated galaxy. There's a lot more to it, but essentially you get as far as you can, unlock alien DNA, cloning abilities, new weapons and technology, ship modules, and information about new corporations that you can play as (which comes with various perks and visual differences), and carry that over to subsequent playthroughs and see how you do. Whether you finish or fail a playthrough, you'll carry over select things, and nothing you do will ever be wasted.

2) feel free to correct me if I were to say this game is like "Doom + No Man Sky"
Sort of. You are fighting a ton of aliens, but you are able to use various defense tools to assist you, like automatic turrets, energy shields and certain ship modules, which I suppose could be compared a bit to a tower defense shooter. Killing the aliens is part of the loop though, in that you need DNA and biomass dropped by downed aliens to create more clones, which in turn act as your lives. If you die, you will respawn as one of those clones, and keep playing until you run out of clones.

3) got any actually in game gamplay footage?
Yeah, we've streamed the game at events a few times. Here's a video someone grabbed from one of our streams last year. Please bear in mind that the game has had a visual overhaul since then, and most things look different (and way cooler!) now. You can see a lot of that on Twitter for instance. For a more up-to-date look at the game, we've got some deeper dives coming up very soon, that I'll be sure to share with everyone in here :)

4) How long has the game been in development and what are the shortvterm and mid term goals for the team in terms of content.
I'd have to investigate when the team started working on it, as Team17 wasn't always involved - but it's been years. As for content goals, we really want to base future updates on player feedback. We're continuously monitoring player requests and feedback, and will explore our options post-launch :)

DKShadow

Verified
May 2, 2018
Nottingham, UK
I've seen some more footage now and I like the style of the game and the concept!

And such a close releasedate as well! I also would love to know how long this has been in development and what engine it is running on?
As Team17 wasn't involved from the very start, I'm not entirely sure exactly how long it's been in development for, but it's been years. I'd have to investigate to find the exact answer. As for the engine, it's developed in Unreal 4 :)

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
It's a roguelike with one "simple" mission; find a new home for mankind's DNA, which really involves finding a planet suitable for the crew you've cloned on your ship. Depending on your cloning choices, the ideal planet's requirements change, so that's something to keep in mind as you go.

As for the gameplay loop itself, you've basically got it down. To be able to "finish" a playthrough (which can be done when you meet the various requirements to "initiate a Genesis" on a planet) you'll have to get your crew to a suitable size. To be able to do that you gather resources through various means, expand the ship (build and customise it any way you want), create the required atmosphere for your crew and generally make sure the ship supports them - and is able to keep you alive in the randomly generated galaxy. There's a lot more to it, but essentially you get as far as you can, unlock alien DNA, cloning abilities, new weapons and technology, ship modules, and information about new corporations that you can play as (which comes with various perks and visual differences), and carry that over to subsequent playthroughs and see how you do. Whether you finish or fail a playthrough, you'll carry over select things, and nothing you do will ever be wasted.

Sort of. You are fighting a ton of aliens, but you are able to use various defense tools to assist you, like automatic turrets, energy shields and certain ship modules, which I suppose could be compared a bit to a tower defense shooter. Killing the aliens is part of the loop though, in that you need DNA and biomass dropped by downed aliens to create more clones, which in turn act as your lives. If you die, you will respawn as one of those clones, and keep playing until you run out of clones.

Yeah, we've streamed the game at events a few times. Here's a video someone grabbed from one of our streams last year. Please bear in mind that the game has had a visual overhaul since then, and most things look different (and way cooler!) now. You can see a lot of that on Twitter for instance. For a more up-to-date look at the game, we've got some deeper dives coming up very soon, that I'll be sure to share with everyone in here :)

I'd have to investigate when the team started working on it, as Team17 wasn't always involved - but it's been years. As for content goals, we really want to base future updates on player feedback. We're continuously monitoring player requests and feedback, and will explore our options post-launch :)

Thanks for the reply. Just added you guys on twitter, would like to learn more about the game.

DKShadow

Verified
May 2, 2018
Nottingham, UK
We've just released a brand new video with tons of gameplay footage, for those wanting a deeper look at the game. It's part 1 of our brand new Captain's Training series, and we'll be releasing lots more of these over the coming weeks and months until launch.

Please do check out the first video below, and let us know what you think. It's the first time we've created a video like this, and I would really appreciate any and all feedback (about both the video, and the game itself). Enjoy!

DKShadow

Verified
May 2, 2018
Nottingham, UK
I'm happy to confirm Genesis: Alpha One will be available on September 4th 2018!

You can check out the release date trailer below:

We'll also have the second video of our Captain's Training series very soon, and I'll be sure to post it here when it's ready :)

Last edited:

DKShadow

Verified
May 2, 2018
Nottingham, UK
Hi everyone, I just wanted to quickly share a link for the second video in our Captain's Training series, in case someone wants to check it out!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Watching some gameplay videos, and it seems just about everything I wanted in a space sim. One guy's ship picked up hitchhikers and he had to go into the guts of the ship to clear them out because they were killing his crew.