• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all. I'm throwing this together because I've been looking forward to this for a while, and after spending some time with it, really digging it.

fe9d27cb018fb093a5528c4kab.gif

• Release Date: Jan 29, 2019 (NOW!)

• Developer: Radiation Blue

• Publisher: Team 17

• Platforms: Xbox One/ Playstation 4/ PC

• Price: $29.99
WHAT'S THIS ALL ABOUT:

In a near future ravaged by wars, corrupt regimes and devastating pollution, influential corporations have created the Genesis program in a last-ditch attempt to save humanity.
As the Captain of a Genesis starship, you journey into uncharted space on the ultimate mission. Build and manage a space vessel, farm resources, deal with terrifying alien infestations, clone creatures and explore a vast, randomly generated universe.

Your goal: Find new homes for humanity's DNA and save the species from extinction.

ROGUELIKE ON AN EPIC SCALE:

Every journey in Genesis Alpha One begins with a huge, randomised galaxy filled with adventure and peril. Discover new planets, encounter asteroid fields, survive hostile encounters as you explore the vastness of space.
Death is permanent so every crew members life matters, and every decision must be carefully considered.

genesis_alpha_one-2f0kr3.jpg

BUILD AND MANAGE YOUR UNIQUE STARSHIP:

2Build.gif

Starting with a small vessel, you'll have to build and maintain an intergalactic ark by combining dozens of upgradable spaceship modules including crew quarters, workshops, hangars, clone labs and greenhouses.
Using an intuitive building menu, easily snap together the pieces of your ship to tailor it to your playstyle. Develop your vessel and then explore your creation in first person.

STAFF YOU SHIP WITH CLONES:

4Clone.gif

Got to have a crew. You start with humans but as you battle different alien species you can collect their DNA and splice it with your human clones for new perks.

GATHER RESOURCES:

You can gather space debris with your tractor beam or mount an expedition to a nearby planet surface. Either send a crew or join them on the surface.

5Resources.gif

3492421-genesisalphao43jq0.jpg

Don't forget to set up defenses as organisms can come back on the tractor beam or the away team ship!

3Aliens.gif

This is my first OT on here so sorry if it's a bit rough. I just wanted to bring a bit of attention to this game.

1EpicRoguelike.gif

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
User Warned: Derailing OT with unrelated discussion about game stores
Releases in January 2020, so still a ways off. It does look at least interesting in concept though. Hopefully a year is enough to get it out of early access.

Jun 1, 2018
so its an epic store exclusive yet the launch trailer shows the steam overlay .. wow guess im not buying it. was ready to get it on steam but im not supporting epic.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Releases in January 2020, so still a ways off. It does look at least interesting in concept though. Hopefully a year is enough to get it out of early access.
It's out today. I'm playing it now...on Xbox.

It's def out on consoles today, reviews are out, but steam says Jan 2020? Did they make a typo on their store page or are they releasing the PC version a year late?? One is a super weird decision and the other is a hilarious error.

so its an epic store exclusive yet the launch trailer shows the steam overlay .. wow guess im not buying it. was ready to get it on steam but im not supporting epic.

oooooh didn't even think to check other storefronts, I got into the habit of googling "game name + steam" for the pc version.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I love the ship building and the space exploration - especially once you get into the more dangerous sectors. I had hoped the planetary exploration would be more fleshed out, but at least the creatures were interesting.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very interested in this game. If the procedural planet surfaces actually feel different then I'm all in. I'm a sucker for space games like this.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
It's def out on consoles today, reviews are out, but steam says Jan 2020? Did they make a typo on their store page or are they releasing the PC version a year late?? One is a super weird decision and the other is a hilarious error.
It's out on the Early Access Store and it'll come to Steam a year later as a complete game for once.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I'm very interested in this game. If the procedural planet surfaces actually feel different then I'm all in. I'm a sucker for space games like this.
They really do. I didn't see anything like different gravity, but planets vary pretty wildly from one another. The lighting on some of them is fantastic and there's a wide range in vegetation types.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How big are the planets, watchinhmg streamers they never went far

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
This is taken from a tweet thread I made about my first experiences with the game - the second section is not really spoilery, but I'll spoiler it anyway to avoid giving away some early game discoveries.

My very first ship - the USS TUTORIAL - died an ignominious death, as did everyone aboard her, due to me not realizing the teleporter has two levels. Teleporting material aboard is dangerous because sometimes instead of beaming in iron or whatever you'll beam in deadly creatures. I don't know WHY these teleporter accidents happen, it seems like the kind of thing occupational health and safety would have put the kibosh on ages ago, but the tutorial-tip-recommended solution is to put two machine gun turrets down next to the pad to kill whatever comes through.

Again this is NOT an acceptable safety practice ANYWHERE, but it's what you need to do. So put one turret up top, not both, as I did. You see there are also access tunnels under every part of the station, including the teleporter, and for some reason THINGS sometime beam down there. The metal you beam up, it never ends up down there, but killer space worms, they sure do. Stick a turret down there and it'll mop them up no problem.

Don't stick a turret down there and your ship will suddenly start having catastrophic failures that YOU, idiot captain that doesn't know about the space basement, can't figure out. BOOM - end of tutorial.

With my second ship I had a lot more success. I farmed out the starter galaxy and I hyperjumped out to explore. I did die once on a planetary mission despite the 'low' danger rating, but that was mostly Clone 1212's fault. Still that death did weigh on my mind as I scanned a new galaxy rated as far more dangerous... I decided I'd just scoop up some loot with my teleporter and zip away. No planetary missions, no danger - right?

Wrong.

I'm in the teleporter bay helping beam things up - if you man the controls it goes way faster (I like to think it's not that the crew is incompetent, it's that they're lazy and only really work hard when the captain's there.) and suddenly all hell breaks loose. The computer continually drones LIFEFORM DETECTED LIFEFORM DETECTED and there are gunshots and explosions from every part of the ship. I go into the corridor and get ambushed by four aliens. I'm confused until two more appear.

THEY'RE BEAMING ABOARD? THEY CAN DO THAT?

Breaking out the shotgun I run the corridors blasting aliens and - occasionally - crewmembers who look at little TOO much like aliens in the dark corridors lit only by flashing red lights. They keep coming... The aliens, not the crew. Those, they were definitely dead.

Eventually I realize I'm going to have to move the ship away before they'll stop beaming in, so I hit the bridge and hyperjump us out. There's only me and one other crewmember left...

This game is a whole lot more than I expected...

How big are the planets, watchinhmg streamers they never went far

Fairly small but it changes a bit from planet to planet. Your ship projects a circular field around it that is never really explained that I recall. Provides atmosphere maybe? Certainly does jack squat about preventing murderous aliens from getting through it.

OP
OP
tarman76

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
This is taken from a tweet thread I made about my first experiences with the game - the second section is not really spoilery, but I'll spoiler it anyway to avoid giving away some early game discoveries.

My very first ship - the USS TUTORIAL - died an ignominious death, as did everyone aboard her, due to me not realizing the teleporter has two levels. Teleporting material aboard is dangerous because sometimes instead of beaming in iron or whatever you'll beam in deadly creatures. I don't know WHY these teleporter accidents happen, it seems like the kind of thing occupational health and safety would have put the kibosh on ages ago, but the tutorial-tip-recommended solution is to put two machine gun turrets down next to the pad to kill whatever comes through.

Again this is NOT an acceptable safety practice ANYWHERE, but it's what you need to do. So put one turret up top, not both, as I did. You see there are also access tunnels under every part of the station, including the teleporter, and for some reason THINGS sometime beam down there. The metal you beam up, it never ends up down there, but killer space worms, they sure do. Stick a turret down there and it'll mop them up no problem.

Don't stick a turret down there and your ship will suddenly start having catastrophic failures that YOU, idiot captain that doesn't know about the space basement, can't figure out. BOOM - end of tutorial.

With my second ship I had a lot more success. I farmed out the starter galaxy and I hyperjumped out to explore. I did die once on a planetary mission despite the 'low' danger rating, but that was mostly Clone 1212's fault. Still that death did weigh on my mind as I scanned a new galaxy rated as far more dangerous... I decided I'd just scoop up some loot with my teleporter and zip away. No planetary missions, no danger - right?

Wrong.

I'm in the teleporter bay helping beam things up - if you man the controls it goes way faster (I like to think it's not that the crew is incompetent, it's that they're lazy and only really work hard when the captain's there.) and suddenly all hell breaks loose. The computer continually drones LIFEFORM DETECTED LIFEFORM DETECTED and there are gunshots and explosions from every part of the ship. I go into the corridor and get ambushed by four aliens. I'm confused until two more appear.

THEY'RE BEAMING ABOARD? THEY CAN DO THAT?

Breaking out the shotgun I run the corridors blasting aliens and - occasionally - crewmembers who look at little TOO much like aliens in the dark corridors lit only by flashing red lights. They keep coming... The aliens, not the crew. Those, they were definitely dead.

Eventually I realize I'm going to have to move the ship away before they'll stop beaming in, so I hit the bridge and hyperjump us out. There's only me and one other crewmember left...

This game is a whole lot more than I expected...

Fairly small but it changes a bit from planet to planet. Your ship projects a circular field around it that is never really explained that I recall. Provides atmosphere maybe? Certainly does jack squat about preventing murderous aliens from getting through it.

You can actually go past the force field on planets but it warns you that the atmosphere will kill you. I ducked back in real quick.

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
This totally sounds like a game for me. Waiting for more impressions and reviews, but I think I'm in. How does it control on consoles? Looks like a game that could be clunky.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something here or was the wrong post flagged? Not seeing an issue with this post.
Yeah, if you know that it's on the Epic store you'd think he was being sarcastic but seems like he actually didn't know. Eh, at least it's just a warning, and basically telling us "don't bring up complaints about the store it is on"

NikkiNailZ

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt hear about this game until an hour ago but i just bought it for PS4. Seems to be running at 60fps so thats great.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded the Epic launcher for this game and pretty excited about it but won't be diving in until after the second round of Anthem demo & finishing RE2. Will be watching this thread for sure.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
You can assign crewmembers to the various stations but they're not great at them. They do it...but like, sullenly. As you explore you gather DNA from new species and you can turn out clones of hybrids that are stronger/smarter... I think that helps with their station operating skills, as I noticed the 'still scanning system' thing less and less as the game went on.

It's a roguelike exploration game where your only goal is to find a suitable genesis planet for the species. That's the 'direction' you have.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on ps4, except for a tiny texture popin, good performance so far

Kowpucky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't suppose anyone knows if your ships are forever stained with the guts of aliens ? Every new ship/start my ships are plastered with the remains of previous games.... and it doest matter which corporation I choose .

OP
OP
tarman76

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Got my first Genesis today. I felt very lucky to find a viable planet with O2 so my human clones were perfect. The end game is pretty neat. And after, you can chose to continue for go for more Genesis planets.

I still feel like I haven't seen a fraction of stuff in this game. For example: I never could successfully get any platinum so I could make shields so I didn't venture into any dangerous area.

Things that surprised me:

1) Getting boarded by humanoid enemies! Did not expect that! 2) Tom's voyage. 3) Finding plans for new room modules. I have no idea how many there are. 4) Advanced aliens beaming down to planets to attack. Once I saw a ship in the sky when on a planet. Creeped me out

I really love not knowing everything the game has to throw at me. Excited for another run!

"Lifeform detected!"

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
The game seems pretty interesting so far. i only played an hour or so. i really need to get a full day off so i can really dive in.

I don't suppose anyone knows if your ships are forever stained with the guts of aliens ? Every new ship/start my ships are plastered with the remains of previous games.... and it doest matter which corporation I choose .
Might be a bug. i just figured the ship got infested somehow before you were revived/woken/made.

Kowpucky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game seems pretty interesting so far. i only played an hour or so. i really need to get a full day off so i can really dive in.

Might be a bug. i just figured the ship got infested somehow before you were revived/woken/made.
" Learn the hard way " .... the game

Upon further inspection it looks more like acid eroding the floor from previous fights from previous games.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I really love the computer UIs, I love the retro scifi look. The whole game reminds me of Silent Running the movie

Jun 1, 2018
Dont buy this game! Its the definition of false advertising. My review for this game is very negative. They decided to put all TWO changes in the game made in 14 months as part of "full update". So, they literally want to tell you that they where working hard on the game, when they simply put latest Epic Games build to the Steam release now... as final release patch. Yup, they did nearly nothing and called it full release. They are advertising on steam with imrpoved visuals etc. Near all features described above where already avaiable for people that had EGS copy or Steam press build near one year ago! Don't get scammed.