• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
ARtPw3N.png

CnGAlyN.png

Platform(s): PC, PS4, XB1
Release Date: March 26th 2019
Genre: FPS
Price: $39.99 USD
Player(s): 1-4
Format: Digital/Physical
Developer: Avalanche Software
Publisher:
(Digital) Avalanche Software​
(Physical) THQ Nordic​

ofbX0uv.png

What is this game?
Generation Zero is an open world, sandbox, FPS set in an alternate 1980s Sweden that has been taken over by an unknown mechanical force. By rebelling against the machines you will be able to collect loot and grow your character to improve your odds against stronger foes. The Polygon review describes the game as "if Dear Esther and DayZ had a baby" and that's the most apt comparison I've seen so far. The game appears to be incredibly open and non-linear but still has a narrative that you can try and uncover piece by piece.

How does it play?
Combat is centered around guerilla warfare. The machines have varying behavior and weak points depending on their size/type and you are able to exploit those traits in combat. An example is using a flare to attract scouts to a pack of explosive barrels and destroying them all in one go.

Machines also feature persistent damage so returning to a combat area after retreating will allow you to continue from where you left off.

Character progression?
As you level your character you will be given skill points to upgrade one of 4 specialization trees: combat (weapons), support (assist teammates), survival (lone wolf) and tech (increase secondary equipment). You are also able to customise the look of your character as well.

Mission structure?
You are dropped into the open world with a decent amount of freedom from the get-go. You can either delve into the main objectives (these seem very open and not scripted) to get the story of the game or you can just wonder about finding loot and fighting off machines.

Online/multiplayer only?
No. You can play Generation Zero offline and/or solo if you choose to. While the larger machines are easier to tackle in a multiplayer group it is still possible to destroy them solo (though reviews mention solo play is especially difficult).

How does multiplayer work?
You can host either a private or open lobby that players can be invited to join or randomly appear in. Loot is player specific so you don't need to worry about someone snagging your equipment.

What happens when I die?
You respawn with all your equipment in a nearby safehouse.

PS4 Pro/XB1 X support?
Yes, the game will run at higher resolutions on those platforms.

Ultrawide support?
The beta apparently supported that aspect ratio so it's a "likely yes".

UIgUDwt.png

ss_32a8f2d7ca365d0a51847af7678a15bddc68ac59.600x338.jpg
ss_bcb84d7eb98790980a10f6559babdf87b562d8cb.600x338.jpg

ss_cf2fc78592b98ef04ee7f2711337454ebb269126.600x338.jpg
ss_9066780ec51e6ce709b715d6081f5f0fcb6b5141.600x338.jpg

9ToslJr.png

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/generation-zero Metacritic (PC) - 51

Polygon (No Score)
https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/3/21/18274686/generation-zero-review-pc-ps4-xbox-one

It all adds up to a game that feels like an excellent first draft. Fans of battle royale games and open-world survival games should feel right at home — that is, until they run up against a mob that's too big to handle on their own. Groups of players fresh off other cooperative shooters like the Payday series will have the most luck. But for your average consumer, Generation Zero is a tough sell. Without a committed team and good communication, there's simply no way forward on your own.

wccftech (5/10)
https://wccftech.com/review/generation-zero-review/

Generation Zero is a game that has fantastic potential but falls short in so many areas. The Excellent combat and generally great atmosphere is let down by a myriad of bugs, a very limited range of enemies to face off against, boring quests and a world that is just too large and sterile, particularly if played alone. The potential of bug fixes and increased enemy types would make this a fantastic budget purchase, but until that time it's one I would miss unless you know at least two others to co-op with.

GfZqdcb.png

Xbox One
PS4
Steam
Official Site

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Eek this game is out already? I haven't heard anything about it.. thought it was coming way later. That's a shame the early reviews seem a bit harsh. Hopefully it finds its community, still looks cool.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Eek this game is out already? I haven't heard anything about it.. thought it was coming way later. That's a shame the early reviews seem a bit harsh. Hopefully it finds its community, still looks cool.

Avalanche doesn't have a marketing partner so it's been a pretty low-key affair leading up to release.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been on my radar for a while. Sucks that the reviews are not looking hot so far.

I might ignore them though and still get it. Really dig the tone.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I Don't get it. Everything is obvious that this game is a year too early and they throw it out, not even in early access ?

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Spent the last weekend playing this for a review (Dutch language, should go up tomorrow), some impressions:

It has some real potential in the setting and the background of the game is at least interesting enough for a great experience.
The game world is too big, and mostly filled with copy/paste buildings.
The robots are very cool at first, especially if you manage to take one down in a group.
But after a few ones you start to know their weak spots and killing them becomes less interesting.
The AI is not very good imo, but I always find AI to be hard to judge. They tend to run away from you at strange times and have serious trouble when you enter a building and shoot them from inside.
I found myself exploiting the AI to kill larger bots solo, but quickly ran out of ammo once larger groups start showing up. Online play is kind of a must.
You can res with a medpen-like item, both yourself and others, but these are so abundant that death kind of becomes meaningless. Its mostly annoying your character falls down and you have to get back up to resume killing bots.
Overall I was really intrigued by the setting and atmosphere, only to grow bored of the rest and find that the setting gets explored too little to keep my interest.
Really wish this was better.

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
I preordered a copy of this for PC when a large Swedish retailer had a member's deal where you could get it for (the local equivalent of) 27$. Thought I would await reviews and reactions since this looked to be a stealth release and Avalanche have a pretty spotty track record lately. I don't know, the setting and aesthetic still look really appealing to me, and at the price I paid I could maybe be OK with the game being flawed if I got five intriguing hours out of it, but I dunno.. Especially in light of the fact that I'll have no one to co op with on PC.. Maybe I'll send it back and pick up a copy when it drops even further in price as I'm sure it will..

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
I really like the Simon Stahlberg influence (did he actually do the art?) of the game and concept art but I can't help but feel the gameplay will be somewhat flat.

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the Simon Stahlberg influence (did he actually do the art?) of the game and concept art but I can't help but feel the gameplay will be somewhat flat.
He has no involvement in this game, and from what I've heard he was not very happy about how direct the "inspiration" was.

Retrovertigo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get it. It's designed to be played co-op, but you don't make any progress playing in somebody else's game? So you need to play through at least twice if you want to earn achievements?

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Didn't have time to play much today, and most of the time I spent on outfitting my amazingly cool character.

I realised starting the game with a character unlocked all of their clothing stuff for any other character. Spent some time starting the game over and over with all the different clothing options so that my main character had a huge amount of stuff.

Also spent a bunch of time on making a ReShade profile. I love what they went for but with my poor eyesight it's just too blurry. Can post some comparison pics tomorrow.

Then I finally played a little. It feels a huge lot like theHunter: Call of the Wild but with extremely dangerous robots, which is pretty much what I was expecting. And since I really like theHunter, I think this is good too so far!

I enjoyed that the game tells you what you can find in an area. Knowing there is one collectible around somewhere and then being able to move on when that single thing is found without having to inspect every nook and cranny is a nice feeling.

And well I am a Swede so I love seeing all the Swedish stuff around. I even pointed out the text on a trashcan to my SO...

I have many other things to play at the moment and will let this game get patched a bit before I dive in deeper. But I really look forward to playing through this.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Made an imgur album with a couple of ReShade comparison pics. Open them in a separate tab to compare them properly. I generally sharpen the image and increase the contrast because it helps me see stuff better. As I said, I like the look they went for but it's too hard for me to make out stuff with this misty look. This game is super dark with my ReShade and I might change it to be a tiny bit brighter later, but so far it's been giving the game a great mood. The game also uses what I think is called eye light adaptation or something? As in, if you look at the moonlit lighter stuff the dark areas become darker and if you stare straight at the dark ground you adapt to the darkness and can see the ground much clearer.

Since I have not seen any option to remove the HUD, I use the binoculars to take screenshots that I post on Twitter. The depth of field and distorted edges look a bit strange but I think it suits the game's style.

Love the character creator. A lot of different looking faces! This grumpy lady really spoke to me.

DooDdgc.png

And a couple of binocular shots, that police car pic is my fav.

isLD9uA.png

Wsp3vVV.png

Does this have any actual story in it?
So far I have gotten a snippet of story explaining why my group doesn't know a thing about what is happening, and then some notes (and the quest log) have pointed me to specific places to investigate what is going on, basically. So there is something there. I went in pretty much blind since the announcement so I dunno much about what has been said about it.

NexusGamer

Dec 8, 2017
after 6+ hours, I find it difficult to want to keep playing

now that I am off the starter island, all of the robots are huge and impossible to take down solo (unless you get lucky and they glitch). But even so, they are often overwhelming you with numbers of the smaller guys. So solo play is pretty much not an opton, despite what the devs claimed.

Stealth is questionable at best, so the only course of aciton is to literally run across the map and ignore everything shooting at you. Playing co-op isn't worth it because as others mentioned, your missions don't progress unless you're the host.

Some great atmosphere in those opening hours though, like a walking sim that's been stretched across a huge world. and enemies added/loot.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The fact that I've ended up awkwardly weighing down the forward+sprint buttons so that I can browse my phone, i.e. do something fun, says it all.

It being unplayable solo yet progress in co-op doesn't carry over unless you're the host is a crazy design choice.

It really reminds me of Overkill's The Walking Dead. Beautiful but sterile world with the kernel of what might make a good game that completely breaks down under extreme conditions.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Playing this for review right now, and it's admittedly somewhat of a slog. So much potential, I really hope they're able to afford to continue working on it.

It feels like the developers were told to wrap it up and release what they had at that time, rather than when it's actually done.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Played a couple of hours last night. Love the world design, the controls, and the shooting, wish there was more to interact with. With the exception of the occasional robot encounter, it's more of a Poor Inventory Design Management Sim than an open world shooter. Music is excellent.

It's a real shame, because it feels like based on the game play streams they've done the last few months that the dev team is pretty invested in the game, so I don't want to completely dismiss it, but it's difficult to want to go back to it for any amount of time in its current state, especially given how the MP progression system works.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Never a good sign when the ot for a game just released is already dead

This game is a total mess, though. Basically impossible to play solo, and even if you do find people online, the world isn't particularly fun to explore. This really needed more time in development

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need to balance it better for solo players. :( At the moment the difficulty is tailored for co-op.

Last edited:

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like the more i play this game, the more confounding decisions i see.

Latest one: enemies spawning inside my safe house and enemies camping outside the exit of my safe house. Why

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Played some co-op today with my brother and had a really good time. Have not ran into any of the reported issues yet and generally love the game. I really wanna see where the story goes too.

NexusGamer

Dec 8, 2017
lost 20 hours of progress because, after joining someone else for co-op, the game decided to overwrite my world with the other person's version (who was basically just starting out)

im done

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Letter from the dev team.

https://generationzero.com/en/blog/a-letter-from-the-development-team-april-5th

Hi,
It's been a week since our last "big" information update (we won't count all of the hundreds of messages our community team sends out every day) so we felt now would be a great time to check-in, remind you all what we are up to, and give some updates on how we've progressed since our last "Letter from the Development Team".

As many of you know during the past week our attention has been laser-focused on gathering feedback/bug reports from you, our players. Based on that feedback we've been either directly working on said reports, or implementing them into plans for future updates. The team has made some excellent headway in fixing a whole host of issues on our internal build. Once we are confident the fixes are solid, we'll be pushing them to you in an update coming before the end of this month. Here's a sneak peek at a random selection of bugs we've already managed to fix on our internal build:
  • Strength in Numbers mission blocked due to enemies not spawning

• Xbox and PS4 players blocked by invisible wall at the bridge to Salthamn after streaming install has finished

• PC players experiencing 100% CPU usage

• Bed asset with huge collision box around it, preventing players from looting containers underneath it

• Crash occurs when a weapon gets removed from the weapon slot
Again, these are NOT live yet, but should be landing in a patch that's coming soon. We should also remind you that this isn't the full list of changes, there are lots of additional bug fixes and improvements coming that are not mentioned above - ex. many more crash fixes. We'd love to give you a harder release date for this patch than "this month" but things can - and do - happen in game development that sometimes cause dates to shift. As such, we'd rather you be pleasantly surprised than disappointed by a missed date. Of course, once we get into our proper release cycle (more news on that in the future), we'll firm up more in how we communicate what comes when.

If you haven't already, please check out the replay of this week's Stream from Wednesday. Our special guest was Paul, Product Owner (a.k.a "the one leading the dev team") for Generation Zero, and we had a full hour of Q&A with the chat covering a lot of topics on what we are doing to improve Generation Zero in the short term. Be sure to drop a "follow" for future streams and keep an eye open for general communications after our first big bug-fixing patch; we'll start to elaborate on our medium/long term plans, including our thoughts for future content updates.

Watch the stream replay here: https://youtu.be/c0-xUkXNM6I?t=293

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Nice, I was just thinking that I would like an update soon. Gonna wait for that patch and then play through the whole game.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Had time to watch that stream now that they linked to in their latest letter. It was nice and informative, and they are basically saying exactly what I wanted to hear.

A total focus on bugs now, they know the issues. Listening to all the feedback and outlined a bit of what kind of DLC they are thinking about in the future (without going into it much, because they said that would be disrespectful to people who have a rough time with the core game right now and the devs are in 100% bug fix mode at the moment). But they did say things like the DLC will work like Call of the Wild, if you join someone who has it you get to experience it without having to buy it yourself.

They were also talking a bit about the pros and cons of being basically an indie style team making a sort of AA game within a AAA company. They get some nice tools and such but they also get judged as if they are AAA Avalanche (Rage 2, Just Cause and so on) when they are not and don't have the budget and team size that people believe they have.

A recommended watch both for people that like the game and people that didn't like it as much.

Deleted member 21996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know this OT was here. I reviewed this game for Indie Game Website. https://www.indiegamewebsite.com/2019/03/25/generation-zero-review/

I'm still playing it. Personally it suits my particular taste pretty well but I can understand if other people find the open world too empty. The combat is really good and I like how the game doesn't immediately tell you er everything is.

Nice review. I'm a sucker for a good atmosphere and reasonably tolerant of a bit of jank, so will give this a go.

On the lack of assets, it's funny how few people complain about reused buildings in the likes of PUBG and Apex.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I have been playing this non stop since I picked it up for $25 on GMG.

It is buggy, and the copy paste houses are a bit of a bummer.

However, the gunplay is absolutely fantastic. Great feel, super impactful and the differences in guns is very noticeable. The explosions on the robots are really well done, especially at night.

And the atmosphere is phenomenal. The lighting, weather, and time of day is best in class.

Other than the cut and paste houses, every other aspect of the world design is so good. These look like real places, and there are tons of little out of the way things you can find. It really rewards exploration.

I'm playing solo, and find it to be totally playable. It isn't a run and gun game at all. It is all about stealth, taking a shot and repositioning. It's almost like a hunting game, but all the animals are robots that want to kill you.

You need to use every tool at your disposal. Take out a heavy's rear tank with a sniper shot, then toss a flare off to your left to distract it. Then run in with your assault rifle and finish it off. Then three dog robots show up, throw out an EMP and run to cover. Take out as many as you can before they recover with your sniper, then switch to your assault rifle and take out the rest as they approach.

Extremely impressed so far. Good to hear they are addressing the bugs, I really want to see what they do with the DLC.

Last edited:

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Not only did he not do any art. (The "inspiration" is quite obvious though) but the guys behind the game screeched and threatened him with legal action if he dared utter a word about the similarities. He brought it up after a lot of his fans were getting hyped for the game and asked him on social media why he hadn't told them he was making a video game. Their reply was basically. "We have never heard of this Simon person and we have thusly never been inspired by his nigh-identical aesthetics. In fact, if he says so we have a lawyer that will deal with him."
So yeah, these guys are a-holes, and does not deserve any money.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Not only did he not do any art. (The "inspiration" is quite obvious though) but the guys behind the game screeched and threatened him with legal action if he dared utter a word about the similarities. He brought it up after a lot of his fans were getting hyped for the game and asked him on social media why he hadn't told them he was making a video game. Their reply was basically. "We have never heard of this Simon person and we have thusly never been inspired by his nigh-identical aesthetics. In fact, if he says so we have a lawyer that will deal with him."
So yeah, these guys are a-holes, and does not deserve any money.

Wait, what?

I knew there was a bit of animosity there but I didn't hear about that. Where's the source?

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Wait, what?

I knew there was a bit of animosity there but I didn't hear about that. Where's the source?

Now I feel a bit embarrassed because I can't find the Swedish article that talked about the legal action stuff. So chalk that up to "very dubious sources".
It was basically my run-in with the whole thing so it does seem I misrememberd soem things as I am assuming Eurogamer has a better tab on the situation. I liked Stålenhags artwork a lot, and the similarities and inspiration to Gen 0 were obvious to me so I was annoyed they just wouldn't say they enjoyed it, but were making something of their own inspired by him. (As Stålenhag has repeatedly stated he isn't out for a lawsuit or anything. He just wants an acknowledgment and some clarification to his fans and theirs that he's not involved.)