• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1080488900890628101?s=09
From the wrestling observer
[QUOTE
Born in Sisseton, South Dakota, in 1942, Okerlund moved from radio and TV to working for the AWA in Minnesota in 1970 as a fill-in ring announcer and interviewer. He would later take over the full-time interviewer job which became his life's work.

He stayed with the AWA for 14 years before moving to WWF in 1984 where he became one of the company's most recognizable faces for his backstage interviews with Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, and all of the stars of the era.

After nine years with WWF, he moved to WCW in 1993 and was a regular on-screen presence through 1996. He remained with the company in smaller roles through their sale to WWF in 2001.

Eventually, he would return to WWE and spent the past 18 years there in a variety of on-screen roles and was inducted into the company's Hall of Fame on 2006.

He is survived by his longtime wife, Jeanne, and son, Todd.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Damn :(

Smoothest voice in the business, always seemed like a nice guy. Vince got rid of him way too early.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

RIP to an absolute legend

Grew up with his voice during the WCW years

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
RIP

Gene was probably the best interview guy in the business. His voice is synonymous with wrestling in my opinion.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Why was he "mean"? He seems so nice

thatsthejoke.jpg

RIP to one of the all-time greats and a voice of my childhood.

giphy.gif

Striker

Oct 25, 2017
Special type of person he was in the business. Never has been replaced properly; may never will be to be honest.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Mean Gene was a legend. His voice was instantly recognizable and he had a great style.

R.I.P.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember that harlem heat inteview where book said the infamous line and how smoothly gene moved to sherry to rescue the segment

dude was a legend.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

I never got my parents' permission to call into Mean Gene's hotline :(

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
The absolute greatest of all time in the backstage interview. His style is what really sold these stories and larger than life personalities, and his importance to WWE's boom in the 80's cannot be overestimated. There is no Hulk Hogan without Mean Gene.

Just watch him interview Macho Man when he was at his most coked out; Mean Gene just shrug it off without a crack of a smile.

This one hurts. Along with Heenan, he was the voice of WWE in that generation.

Last edited:

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RIP Mean Gene. He was proof even the interviewers had an important part in that business. Hell of a personality.