• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
that's happened before i think

yep

www.cnn.com

Officials release video from gender reveal party that ignited a 47,000-acre wildfire

A video just released by the US Forest Service shows the moment when a gender reveal party in Arizona went horribly wrong, sparking a wildfire that burned nearly 47,000 acres and caused more than $8 million in damage.

www.youtube.com

Video shows moment wildfire was started at gender reveal party

A video released by the US Forest Service shows the moment an off-duty border patrol officer in Arizona shoots a makeshift target with the words "Boy" and "G...

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned (24h Threadban): Trolling, fragility
EDIT: Oh it's fragility to point out that people can be fucking idiots regardless of orientation? Ok then.

Last edited:

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this is the only acceptable gender reveal. everyone else should have stopped out of respect.

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't California have bushfire warnings? In Australia, you literally can't have a BBQ or touch anything with a flame if conditions are bad enough unless you want to land yourself into significant legal and financial strife.

If so...kind of hope these people get the book thrown at them. Gender reveal parties are dumb, playing with fucking fire in California at this time of the year is significantly more dumb.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

yep

www.cnn.com

Officials release video from gender reveal party that ignited a 47,000-acre wildfire

A video just released by the US Forest Service shows the moment when a gender reveal party in Arizona went horribly wrong, sparking a wildfire that burned nearly 47,000 acres and caused more than $8 million in damage.

www.youtube.com

A video released by the US Forest Service shows the moment an off-duty border patrol officer in Arizona shoots a makeshift target with the words "Boy" and "G...

The stupid motherfucker did it in the middle of an entire field of the densest, driest fucking tinder.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Parents of the Year!

yep

www.cnn.com

www.youtube.com

that fucking video. it's surrounded by dry brush i can't believe they didn't see that coming..

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is a thread about gender reveal parties, so I feel like this is an obligatory post for those now:

What is wrong with straight people?

Is this a rhetorical question? Because I'm sure that someone could break it down in list format, but you may need a fair chunk of time.

My friends revealed the gender of their baby on Facebook messenger... why do people need pyrotechnics?
Ya'll can't pop a balloon or smack a piñata like everyone else?
You coulda just done a cake....
Because some folks, usually white folks, will use any excuse to throw a party, but if it's not an "experience", some people won't bother attending, because most people don't care enough that they need to know the gender in advance of the birth and will gladly duck out of a social event that disinterests them. Which is a sign that, instead of trying to justify these parties by ratcheting up the spectacle bullshit to get attendance, they should just stop having them or at least expect a low attendance.

There's also a factor of "keeping up with the Joneses", where they must out-perform a previous gender reveal party that was previously attended due to a necessity to be seen of higher social standing and more likes on the 'Gram.

And before you ask, yes, these reasons ARE fucking stupid, but when has a reason needed to be good for people to use it to justify their behaviour?

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I miss the days of people being able to have kids without some huge spectacle of the gender reveal. I understand the excitement of telling people you know "we're having a baby!!!!"

But the whole... building e3 levels of hype for a reveal that simply tells you te gender? Honestly 99.9 percent of people literally dont care except the parents themselves that are doing the reveal.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
How long have these been a thing?

I feel like I only started hearing about them less than 5 years ago and am not sure if the internet popularized them or what.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the days of people being able to have kids without some huge spectacle of the gender reveal. I understand the excitement of telling people you know "we're having a baby!!!!"

But the whole... building e3 levels of hype for a reveal that simply tells you te gender? Honestly 99.9 percent of people literally dont care except the parents themselves that are doing the reveal.
It's probably, mostly an excuse to just want to party.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What's better than transphobic bullshit?
Explosive transphobic bullshit!

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Right in the middle of a field of dry grass? They didn't even try to be responsible.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Also, another layer to this: the strong possibility that, before this discovery was made public, residents were likely blaming the fire on the homeless, which seems to be an intensely-common trend in California, going back several years now.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Eh, I got a couple of smoke bombs for like $5 for a gender reveal photo. It wasn't until I purchased them that I realized they were classified as fireworks and therefore illegal to use iny city.

I'm not going to use them anymore but I can understand why people would consider it harmless. I thought the smoke was just colored flour that popped with some air pressure kinda setup or something, but apparently some of them are explosive.

People should probably be careful about anything explosive in California given the heat and fire risk.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I am still amazed to this day that gender reveal parties are a thing.

And now, with the amount of chaos and damage that they cause, I begin to wonder if they should no longer be allowed to be a thing.

(or maybe fireworks/pyro should be even more controlled than they are in CA)

Oct 26, 2017
When did gender reveal parties become a thing?

I have a 17 and 14 year old kid and I never heard of such a thing until about a year or two ago. "Back in my day" it was just a ultra sound technician saying "Do you wanna know the gender of your baby?" and that was it. Aside from the parents and maybe a couple of immediate family members, no one really cares at that point. Plus child birth is a long unpredictable path. I wonder if it might be ill-advised to have such a spectacle when the journey is far from complete but I guess that's up to individual parents.

I just think this appears to be another byproduct of the "look at me" social media era we're in right now. I might have a less negative view if it didn't appear as if these gender reveal parties we're being completely staged for social media content. But I guess every generation comes up with their own dumb traditions.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Congrats on displacing and ruining the lives of thousands upon thousands of people, all for a party you never should have thrown, for a detail you could have announced on Facebook, for your completely unspectacular unborn kid no one gives a shit about.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Has any pregnant person jumped out of a plane and revealing the gender by whatever colour parachute opens up?