• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
In HR, can confirm that the job market is tight as hell, making companies have to pay more to fill positions than before.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TIL I'm Gen Z? That doesn't sound right.

Anyways I'm doing pretty well for myself, just hoping the next recession doesn't wreck me.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
TIL I'm Gen Z? That doesn't sound right.

Anyways I'm doing pretty well for myself, just hoping the next recession doesn't wreck me.

Well Millenials were called Generation Y (which was lazy), until we grew in size/age and a better named was created. I doubt you'll be identified as "generation Z" in a decade. It's a placeholder until your overall demographical trends are better known.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
We entered the job market in one of the worst economic points in our country's history. Gen Z benefited from being able to learn from our mistakes, are far more of a digital generation than us, and were able to participate in a lot more school programs like magnet, robotics, programming etc.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly shit like this only works in cities. I'm in the Midwest, jumping company to company is literally not possible unless I want a 2 hour drive to and from work

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Not our fault we got dumped a global recession as we were coming into our 20s and finishing up college

Can confirm, the majority of my peers are still chillin in low-wage jobs or just not as high up as they could be.

Gen Z seems super motivated, and why shouldn't they be? Unless the economy takes a massive dump thanks to idiotic moves by the government.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Well Millenials were called Generation Y (which was lazy), until we grew in size/age and a better named was created. I doubt you'll be identified as "generation Z" in a decade. It's a placeholder until your overall demographical trends are better known.

Gen X never got a proper name. Just Gen X.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, that sounds like the larger economy has shifted to a better position to me. I'm still screwed right now as a millenial but I'm glad GenZ is on the up.

To note, it does say they're CATCHING UP not that they have caught up. They still sound a bit worse off but if we get a continuing trend where young workers are getting paid better and better, I think that's a good sign.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Jokes on you Zoomers. You will live in an even bigger climate landscape then us when we are dead.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
As a non-US gen-Xer whose working-life has been through 2 major recessions and one smaller one, I assumed job-hopping was the norm.

I'd say I've averaged 3 years per position since I joined the workforce in 1995, with the least movement in the last 10 years, and that only because I emigrated to Australia.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

not really talking about names. Just found it off that I'm called gen z as I'm 24. Always hear about my age being late millennial.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
As a millennial I was shielded pretty well. I was in college from 2008-2012 and was offered an internship at a company. Because I was already considered an employee on educational leave of absence, i was able to return despite there being a hiring freeze. I was very fortunate

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Millennial was actually coined back in the 80s (to refer to the next generation which would be the first to reach adulthood in the new Millennium), Gen Y was actually a relatively short lived label that got really popular in the middle as Gen X was still in the spotlight.

Oct 25, 2017
I was in secondary school when the 2008 recession happened. By the time I finished in 2010 I didn't know the shit I was in for, lmao.
Never had a chance brehs. Being among the youngest Millennials is a curse.
giphy.gif

Hope that shit never happens to Gen Z or future generations.

Oct 26, 2017

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I really lucked out with my career, working for the railroad. Hired on at 23 and I'm almost 40. Make 100k+ a year now. Schedule is insane, that's the downside...

Born in 1980 so I dunno what gen I am exactly (not that I care)

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I would assume it's because tech sectors are blowing up, and that it's easier to ring in younger talent with smaller raises then they need to be. Is it compared to cost of living of the area? So, let's say, some in New York is 22-23 and is hired, do you think their whatever % a year is actually enough to help them purchase and shit?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
But this has always been true, unless there is a strong reason to give newer entries lower salaries, the rate at which new entry salaries grows is much faster than what the evolution of someone's salary over their lifetime is.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I was like them with a good job straight from school, then lost it at the start of the recession and the resulting big gap in my CV is still a problem years later. At least I've finally stabilised and am back on track, just years behind where I could have been.

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Wait, I'm a Zoomer? That doesn't sound right. Born in 1996, I was in secondary school when the recession hit. I'm graduating law school in 2021, and right now I'm working as an English teacher and getting paid well enough to be able to pay rent and tuition but not enough to have considerable savings (I've got like one month's worth in savings and I just used that to pay a hospital bill :( thank god for insurance reimbursements ). I know I have it better than most because I only have 3k in student loan debt.

I just hope I'm not hit too hard by the next recession.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Yeah I've hired 3 Zs in the past year, all fresh out of college and I'm so jealous of the salary they are starting out at. I'm like, dude it took me forever to get to that because of the recession and that is your starting point!? Its made me go back for my MBA though so I'll give them the credit for keeping me motivated. They're also super fun, excited, and not jaded to work with like a lot of the cynical millenials, X, and remaining boomers in the office.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I got kind of lucky. My average raise per year starting from 23 was ~18%. Last year though was nice with a move to one of the big tech companies. More than doubled my pay after last year's raise. So with that, it shifted my ten year average to roughly 80% per year. All this while graduating from university in 2009. That said, there are kids fresh out of college making within 90% of my pay which kind of stings.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I got kind of lucky. My average raise per year starting from 23 was ~18%. Last year though was nice with a move to one of the big tech companies. More than doubled my pay after last year's raise. So with that, it shifted my ten year average to roughly 80% per year. All this while graduating from university in 2009. That said, there are kids fresh out of college making within 90% of my pay which kind of stings.

Sounds like you're in the one field there's still strong demand for.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Millenial here. Being depressed and unable to do much for approx a decade actually means I'm already earning more than friends my age now.

The trick is simply waiting out the dark ages.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
The market research I've seen indicates that genz is in aggregate more motivated by pay than millenials, due to higher participation in consumer culture, vs millenials who are more experiential. All pretty broad stuff, though.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I mean this isn't really surprising but the more you change jobs the higher your pay generally is.

My first job after university i earned like 27k in 2012. moved to a different job in 2014and earned 45k.Have joined a different company in 2018 and now earn close to 75k (including bonus payments) and could've gone back to my old company for even more money.

If you have somewhat of a decent education you can make bank even as a millennial right now.