• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Seems you guys are the forgotten generation (1965 to 1980 seems to be the range). I'm older Millenial myself but lots of overlap for me. Personally, I've always seen Gen X and 1970 to 1980. But apparently, non-scientifically, you guys seem to be coping well during COVID-19.

parade.com

#GenX is Trending on Twitter Because of How They're Handling Coronavirus—Here's Why

This info was accurate at press time, and we’re continuing to update our coronavirus coverage as we learn more. Coronavirus cases are sweeping the country, and

Gen-Xers have seemed to experience more disappointment early on, heroes dying young (Kurt Cobain, Biggie, Tupac), the first dotcom crash, stolen GWB election, 9/11, the 08 crash, so you guys are apparently more resilient and less pie in the sky about the harsh realities of life. A lot of my older cousins are Gen-Xers and you guys are cool folks. You are not forgotten.

So Gen Xers, how are you doing?

*playing Nevermind on repeat in honor of Gen X today.

Last edited:

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I consider myself more of a Xennial, but since by most technical cut-off dates I'm Gen X, well, thanks for asking!

We're doing just fine all things considered. We sit back and watch Boomers and Millennials go at each-other's throats while we focus on our own affairs. We're chill like that.

We're keenly aware of how overlooked we tend to be in society. It happens constantly.

Trying to spin how forgotten we are to our advantage is our pastime.

Last edited:

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
9388.jpg

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doing ok, that's kinda the thing innit, we just keep trucking and surviving. This too shall pass.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, having cynicism and apathetic pragmatism as a defining generational trait is actually probably a pretty useful build right now.

Last edited:

focusedmaple

Oct 27, 2017
Gen X are the ones currently taking care of our elderly parents. It's extremely stressful. I also have a plethora of uncles and aunts that are at high risk.

We will be the ones who were closest in age to the ones who die.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Late Xer, married to an early Millenial (in other words, we're both Xennial/Oregon Trail Generation) here. We're doing okay, though he's slightly more paranoid about this whole situation than I am. I think part of it is that I've been through weird disaster shit before, namely Hurricane Andrew. It's a bit different this time, though.

We're just staying home working and playing video games, for the most part.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're calling us the sandwich generation right now, because we're dealing with raising young kids and caring for elderly parents at the same time. It makes things a bit stressful. Not gonna lie, though - I'm used to disappointment.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
1968 Gen-X I guess. Never thought of myself in those terms, but I guess I technically meet it. Doing fine. Going into work. Kids and wife at home. Terribly worried about my old and at risk parents. But life goes on for most.

It's like that cheesy 80s Billy Joel song. Fire's always been burning and always will. Not sure how he will rhyme coronavirus though.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
1971 Gen Xer here too.

Doing OK, going a bit stir crazy but offsetting it with a couple of walks a day on the empty, smog free streets of LA, week 4 of WFH and being on Google Hangouts all day helps.

Honestly feeling pretty lucky to not be living on the financial edge unlike so many folks here in the US.

Most worry comes from my folks living in a retirement village back in Australia.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doing good. As a "social recluse" I'm not getting hit too hard.

This being said, getting LOADS of family time, but can't take the kids do social activities, and the wife and I can't go on dates, so we have to be image native about switching it up.

Videogames, boardgames, movies at home, art...
Thankfully my spouse is a HS teacher so she is on top of the educational side of things.
Bless her, now she is also doing her best to provide support to 180+ kids via online/ phone.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1975'er here. I'm okay right now, just a little more bored than usual. I had two part-time jobs. One has had the work dry up and has ended for now (I didn't feel comfortable riding transit there anyway), and the other one I now get to work from home. That job is getting fairy close to the end, though. I'm lucky my wife has a good job but she's in health care so I worry about her catching something.

Oct 27, 2017
We grew up having to spend some afternoons alone while parents worked - entertaining, feeding, making schedules, and getting things done ourselves. Stay-at-home is something we know how to do, and now our kids will, too.

Now having to wait days for a book to be delivered, living with a threat of global doom (back then it was global thermonuclear war, then AIDS), having a public star persona as president - we've had those experiences already.

What we haven't had, that almost no one alive has had, are all the deaths to come. Having to take care of and worry about both our younger and older family members, even before this time, is just heightened by the pandemic. We will continue to be there to provide care that spans generations.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Stay indoors and don't socialize.

giphy.gif

We grew up having to spend some afternoons alone while parents worked - entertaining, feeding, making schedules, and getting things done ourselves. Stay-at-home is something we know how to do, and now our kids will, too.
Yep, I grew up from around age 8 on walking home from school with a door key. I had to let myself in, and feed myself. I had 3 rules, stay indoors and don't open the door, stay out of the sharp knife drawer, and don't turn the stove on. I spent from 3:30 to 6 or 7 by myself with my brother. Most of my friends did the same.

Last edited:

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
I'm from 1980.
Living in my tiny apartment with nobody else but Covid-19. Otherwise in good health. The fever is long gone, no coughing, but the shortness of breath is still here on day 11 and it sucks.
At least I still have a job and money.
Mostly worried about my parents, my dad has a heart condition and is 65+ and my mom still goes to work.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten to play all the best games since NES as they came out and same with movies and tv.

Mostly I live paycheck to paycheck and figure I'll retire to under an overpass in about 20 years. Assuming I keep my job in all this and don't find that overpass early.

aside from that I'm kind of glad I'll be dead before climate change really fucks everything up.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
1968 Gen-X I guess. Never thought of myself in those terms, but I guess I technically meet it. Doing fine. Going into work. Kids and wife at home. Terribly worried about my old and at risk parents. But life goes on for most.

It's like that cheesy 80s Billy Joel song. Fire's always been burning and always will. Not sure how he will rhyme coronavirus though.

Papyrus? That's all I got.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever, nevermind.

But seriously doing okay. I can work from home. Showing my soon to be 3 year old 80s music videos. She loves the videos for Bowies Magic Dance. Limhals Neverending Story and the theme song from Legend.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Hiding. Well, at home recovering from back surgery. I'm on the older side of the gen-x scale.

I have to go to PT tomorrow so I'm somewhat concerned about that.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Dealing with the current stresses like everyone else. Thankful that I am in Canada and still working (I work in IT for Healthcare and 99.9% of my extended days are concerning Covid-19). My kids so far are doing ok
More concerned for my wife who was laid off and is normally extraordinarily active, she is taking this hard, we need to get some kind of routine in place if this will be going on for many months)

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Seems you guys are the forgotten generation (1965 to 1980 seems to be the range). I'm older Millenial myself but lots of overlap for me. Personally, I've always seen Gen X and 1970 to 1980. But apparently, non-scientifically, you guys seem to be coping well during COVID-19.

parade.com

#GenX is Trending on Twitter Because of How They're Handling Coronavirus—Here's Why

This info was accurate at press time, and we’re continuing to update our coronavirus coverage as we learn more. Coronavirus cases are sweeping the country, and

Gen-Xers have seemed to experience more disappointment early on, heroes dying young (Kurt Cobain, Biggie, Tupac), the first dotcom crash, stolen GWB election, 9/11, the 08 crash, so you guys are apparently more resilient and less pie in the sky about the harsh realities of life. A lot of my older cousins are Gen-Xers and you guys are cool folks. You are not forgotten.

So Gen Xers, how are you doing?

*playing Nevermind on repeat in honor of Gen X today.

I'm good. I've been working on my writings to lead up to my run for the House in 2022. The document I'm working on currently is The Capitalist Revolution Manifesto. It's time to kick down some fucking sand castles.

1979. Really I was 3 months from being in the 80's and I'm such a cross between GenX and Millenial

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
1977 here.

I'm fucking exhausted. So many responsibilities and I just want some me time.